PDA

View Full Version : 16.5 " JAE rigger

Jim Bob
02-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Took her on the maiden voyage today. I Think I don't have the CG correct. I will try again with the battery moved forward a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPA6JTTcqK8

HOTWATER
02-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Very nice! Looks like it's balanced pretty well. Turns nice!

badag98
02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
What are you running in that little rocket it was hauling! Looks like you had to fish her out there at the end

Jim Bob
02-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Feiago 380 7s 2s 2650 x432 detongued and back cut. Yeah I did have to fish it out. I had to fish it out on every run but the one in the video below. Sorry for the camera work. My cameraman is 11. I guess I need to tweak it a little to keep it from getting upset coming out of the corners. I will mess with the CG to see if I can correct it. Any JAE experts, I am open to suggestions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VBqG3N79Tk

Doug Smock
02-10-2011, 11:08 PM
I like it!!!!
You want 60% of the weight on the sponsons and 40% on the ski.
Can you post some pics?
Doug

old guy
02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
You should send what you did back to the guys that build them so they can cut some for sale,it looks fun:banana:

Jim Bob
02-11-2011, 12:11 AM
some pics from my phone.

Jim Bob
02-11-2011, 12:22 AM
And a few more.

wparsons
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Where'd you get the hardware, is it all custom made?

Ron Zaker Jr
02-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Feiago 380 7s 2s 2650 x432 detongued and back cut. Yeah I did have to fish it out. I had to fish it out on every run but the one in the video below. Sorry for the camera work. My cameraman is 11. I guess I need to tweak it a little to keep it from getting upset coming out of the corners. I will mess with the CG to see if I can correct it. Any JAE experts, I am open to suggestions.

Looks great! You need to widen the sponson foot print and use a Miss Vegas turn fin. Please call Rod Geragthy,he would like to talk with you. Great job.

Jim Bob
02-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Hardware is all custom made.

geraghty
02-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Send me your phone number......you are very very close....we have been there,done that....I can help you......[:doh:your CG isn't causing your problem]

Rod Geraghty

geraghty@nelson-tel.net

1-715-926-6096

old guy
02-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Ron if you make this I want to be on the list for one with hardwhare I have 2 of your 12Rs and this one would be just to much fun:thumbup: at least post the plans for this size on you web page for us. But a kit would be nice:beerchug:

geraghty
02-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Ron if you make this I want to be on the list for one with hardwhare I have 2 of your 12Rs and this one would be just to much fun:thumbup: at least post the plans for this size on you web page for us. But a kit would be nice:beerchug:

As we speak the JAE team is at work developing smaller FE mini,
micro and nano size FE hydros......
It is in the works to release plans and kits for the boats from Zippkits......:thumbup1:

Joe Petro
02-11-2011, 03:32 PM
:cool:

old guy
02-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Ron The Jae team should look at jim bobs hatch it look much better :beerchug:

geraghty
02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
I built that hatch to clear the different motors we want to test.....the plans will be released without a hatch......build whatever you want to build......that will be your problem to solve.....:smile::smile::smile:

longballlumber
02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Looks like you made good use out of a bad sponson... LOL :laugh:

Later,
Mike Ball

Jim Bob
02-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Much better today! After speaking with Rod,THE JAE EXPERT, I widened the sponsons by 2.5" and just for grins moved the battery forward about 1/2". Thanks for your help Rod.:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AD-n2M1hi4

Doug Smock
02-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I built that hatch to clear the different motors we want to test.....the plans will be released without a hatch......build whatever you want to build......that will be your problem to solve.....:smile::smile::smile:

I'm willing to bet that if there is enough interest in these boats, a inexpensive Vac-U-Formed ;)cowl / hatch will be made available.

Doug:beerchug:

PS The latest video is sweet Jim!!!

geraghty
02-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Looks like you made good use out of a bad sponson... LOL :laugh:

Later,
Mike Ball

:rockon2::laugh::laugh:

geraghty
02-11-2011, 08:00 PM
:thumbup1:
Much better today! After speaking with Rod,THE JAE EXPERT, I widened the sponsons by 2.5" and just for grins moved the battery forward about 1/2". Thanks for your help Rod.:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AD-n2M1hi4

I just looked at the video.........you are about 98% there.......add another
1-1/2" to the sponson width .....set the turnfin about 1/4" deeper and add
5 to 10 degrees more curl.......something I forgot....stiffen the turnfin with a doubler that ends
halfway inbetween the fin attaching points on the sponson and the water line....the fin cannot flex for consistent performance..:thumbup1:
That should make the boat set-up virtually bulletproof......:rockon2:

old guy
02-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Ron let us know when Zip kits is going to sell them:rockon2: after seeing the vid got to get one just think 6 of them at one time going like that:rockon2::banana:

Brushless55
02-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Oh man, this thing is cool!
kinda like a little slot car :biggrin:

Big Bopper
02-11-2011, 11:46 PM
way cool

Jeepers
02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
that little thing is quick! very neat!

geraghty
02-12-2011, 10:47 AM
that little thing is quick! very neat!

Just for clarification.....lets give credit where credit is due.....:rockon2:
Jim Bob initially came up with the 16" JAE all on his own without any input whatsoever from the JAE team......
It just happened by coincidence that the JAE team and Zippkits were working on some mini JAE FE boats at the same time.....
After seeing Jim Bobs initial video,I contacted him to offer some set-up advise.
I saw he was experiencing some handling problems that the JAE team initially faced and subsequently resolved.......
Jim Bob reduced the JAE plans and built the 16" mini-boat......I knew from experience that a 100% translation of the reduced nitro plans was not the ultimate design for a bullet proof handling FE mini JAE boat.....
The plans that we are developing now will be specifically designed for FE application....areas like weight distribution,ride surfaces,turnfins and flotation.These areas will be specifically addressed and tested and will be included in the new mini JAE plans.....
Jim Bob has done a great job.......
I can just imagine seeing 25 of these boats,going 40+ mph,showing up at a race to run on a course with 150 foot straightaways ......talk about fun.....:thumbup:

Jeff Wohlt
02-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Good performance....I see you took the prop off on the video but never saw you kill the power....ouch could be your next words!

Brushless55
02-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Anyone with a price in mind for hull and hardware?
looks like a very fun way to spend little money!!
I have several 3s 2200mah packs for my 3D plane that I can use in this little rocket :rockon2:

someone start a new class :cool2:

geraghty
02-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I have several 3s 2200mah packs for my 3D plane that I can use in this little rocket :rockon2:

Just like all other JAE designs,the plans for the mini FE boat will be free.....
The JAE design team is trying to build the prototype.....to include .....wood and building materials for the boat,motor,esc,all running hardware,battery,battery charger and radio together for under $200.00.........
I have all the gear together for a 40+ mph boat prototype and that $200.00 ceiling looks very doable.....
We will have to test the boat and make sure everything works out for that $200.00 figure.....

Brushless55
02-12-2011, 03:21 PM
200 bucks!
I'm sold...

BakedMopar
02-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Subscribed

Jeepers
02-13-2011, 12:23 PM

yeah but Jim Bob runs on 2s! all that much cheaper than a 3s pack !

wparsons
02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
^^ Turnigy 3s 2200mah packs are like $9 for 20c and $13 for 30c, hardly expensive packs :D

I'm definitely in for a kit/hardware when they're ready!

Rumdog
02-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Me too!

JMSCARD
02-13-2011, 07:12 PM
I'll take one too!!! Sign me up!!!

wparsons
03-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Just like all other JAE designs,the plans for the mini FE boat will be free.....
The JAE design team is trying to build the prototype.....to include .....wood and building materials for the boat,motor,esc,all running hardware,battery,battery charger and radio together for under $200.00.........
I have all the gear together for a 40+ mph boat prototype and that $200.00 ceiling looks very doable.....
We will have to test the boat and make sure everything works out for that $200.00 figure.....

Any rough guess as to when it will be ready for kits to be on sale? I'm itching to have one of these for the coming summer!

geraghty
03-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Doug Smock ran the prototype last week end and we were very very pleased with the boats handling ......[they are still driving chevy pick-ups on 20" of ice on my pond..haha] I scaled down The prototypes speed performance a bit to facilitate motor,ESC and battery life and lower the cost...the boat ran very well and I was very pleased with the video.
The ESC however I had picked out left a tiny bit to be desired.....The prototype is going to get run again today with a different ESC and we will know more this afternoon.
The kit from Zippkits is a bit off in the distance.....just how far off and what Joe Petro is going to include in the kit I don't know.Joe Petro of Zippkits will have to answer that.
As soon as we are totally happy with the prototype [and that is looking like it could be later today] we will start doing up the drawings for release.That usually takes 2-3 weeks.
I will also release a bill of materials as to where I bought all the gear for the boat and what the cost was to build.
At that time the JAE design team will be formally off the merry-go-round.....
Note:I built the prototype from scratch in just 4 hours.That included cutting out all the parts with a 30 year old Dremel scroll saw,using a $59.00 drill press and a handfull of sanding blocks and Harbor Freight clamps....what I am trying to say is the boat is very simple and would be a good place to start your scratch building career....
I will take photos and a video of the boat and will release it on Offshore Electrics ,Intl Waters and the Ne-stuff website as soon as we totally like what we see .....

This is the video of the first run.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3nrkzxDss8

wparsons
03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Good to know! Still a good month or two before I'll get any running in up here (Toronto) with the way the weather has been lately.

What motor/esc/battery was used in that video?

geraghty
03-06-2011, 10:47 AM
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11177 $12.04

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8935 $9.99

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12191 $17.81

The ESC just wasn't quite up to the job.....we think there was one bad MosFet causing the problem....there were no heating issues even with no water cooling....I really wanted to not have to water cool if possible....the install and set up would make it much easier for the newbie.....
We were not getting full power to the motor and we still haven't found a real good prop yet.............
like I said,we will know more today.....

wparsons
03-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Very cool! I was hoping it would be an outrunner in that size and 2200mah packs. I've got a couple of the outrunners kicking around, but 3200kv to match my 3s 2200mah packs.

I think this will be a good first build for a younger relative too, seems pretty bulletproof so far.

Brushless55
03-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I love it!
I have 6 or so 2200mah 3s packs and with the little cost of electronics this is going to kick!! :rockon2:
I might have to buy one of my friends one of these so I have someone close by to race with :hug1:

NativePaul
03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Nice, if it gets 5.5 minutes at that speed on that setup it will be very competitive in the Mini Hydro class which is spreading over Europe at the moment, and I predict it will be a full worldwide Naviga class in the next couple of years.

Brushless55
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Nice, if it gets 5.5 minutes at that speed on that setup it will be very competitive in the Mini Hydro class which is spreading over Europe at the moment, and I predict it will be a full worldwide Naviga class in the next couple of years.

:iagree:
and with the very low cost, this thing could be a real winner! :thumbup:

Doug Smock
03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I was going to the pond in Atl. today but got up to 20 mph winds. I thought I'd wait until late afternoon to see if the winds died down but it didn't happen.
I talked the Mrs. into going to the local park to see if I could get some more testing done.
It's hard to believe it runs in this crap!! Can't believe the Mrs. agreed to this little trip either.:laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiBL_vMZmVo

I'm going to get back out this week and do some more prop testing. I'm excited about this thing.:w00t:
Stay tuned.
D.

PS Rod may not get this boat back!!:laugh:

wparsons
03-07-2011, 06:54 AM
It's really starting to get moving now! Looks like the new ESC is giving the motors full potential now.

BILL OXIDEAN
03-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I was going to the pond in Atl. today but got up to 20 mph winds. I thought I'd wait until late afternoon to see if the winds died down but it didn't happen.
I talked the Mrs. into going to the local park to see if I could get some more testing done.
It's hard to believe it runs in this crap!! Can't believe the Mrs. agreed to this little trip either.:laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiBL_vMZmVo

I'm going to get back out this week and do some more prop testing. I'm excited about this thing.:w00t:
Stay tuned.
D.

PS Rod may not get this boat back!!:laugh:

That's a neat little rigger! Didn't know they made one that small, what's under the hood? (Hatch :smile:)

Judging from how rough it was out there and how fast it still was I bet that thing'll rip when you get it on anything close to glass..

TotalPackage
03-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey this is off topic but ive been looking for you. Is your novak setup a sensored or sensorless design?

BILL OXIDEAN
03-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Hey this is off topic but ive been looking for you. Is your novak setup a sensored or sensorless design?

I'll PM ya' I wanna' be polite to this thread.

geraghty
03-07-2011, 09:50 AM
That's a neat little rigger! Didn't know they made one that small, what's under the hood? (Hatch :smile:)

Judging from how rough it was out there and how fast it still was I bet that thing'll rip when you get it on anything close to glass..

see post #40

I have listed all the links to what motor and battery we used....the ESC listed
wasn't filling the bill so we are testing some others....
The ESC you see in the last video was a 80 amp Castle Baracuda [sp] which is no longer made....there was no water cooling in the prototype and it is running with no heat issues.

BILL OXIDEAN
03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
see post #40

I have listed all the links to what motor and battery we used....the ESC listed
wasn't filling the bill so we are testing some others....
The ESC you see in the last video was a 80 amp Castle Baracuda [sp] which is no longer made....there was no water cooling in the prototype and it is running with no heat issues.

40 bux for an entire system wow! Unbelievable how much speed you're getting out of it.
That's some bang for your buck..

Doug Smock
03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Not sure about speed Bill. I plan on putting a GPS (somewhere on it lol) when I land on ''the" set up prop wise.
Doug

BILL OXIDEAN
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Not sure about speed Bill. I plan on putting a GPS (somewhere on it lol) when I land on ''the" set up prop wise.
Doug

Little sucker's got potential! Maybe it'll revive a small rigger class like N-1 hydro..

Doug Smock
03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Little sucker's got potential! Maybe it'll revive a small rigger class like N-1 hydro..

Yes sir it definately has potential. Talk about fun, imagine 6 or 7 of these little buggers on a small oval course.:laugh::w00t:

D.

BILL OXIDEAN
03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes sir it definately has potential. Talk about fun, imagine 6 or 7 of these little buggers on a small oval course.:laugh::w00t:

D.

I'm ALL for it. It'll sound like a flight of killer bees lol!

Meniscus
03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Doug,

You may want to try an x632. It seems to do well in many of the micro models we've run. Otherwise a Y535 cut down to 32mm may be the ticket. Otherwise, I have a Propshop 3214 you could try if you feel inclined. I also have a Tenshock 32x36 steel prop that might be fun to try. The profile features back-cut to unload. Just let me know, I don't mind loaning to you for testing.

If you get it hooked up with those sizes, I have a Tenshock CNC aluminum P/N TSJ-K4834, 34mm, total pitch right at 48mm. That should break into the low 60mph range if it will handle it.

On our Renegades, we run a V935/3 cut down to 32mm. However, with that high of RPM, I don't think it is appropriate at all. That thing would be doing upwards of 75+mph if it hooked up with that prop. Who knows how hot it would get!

BILL OXIDEAN
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Doug,

You may want to try an x632. It seems to do well in many of the micro models we've run. Otherwise a Y535 cut down to 32mm may be the ticket. Otherwise, I have a Propshop 3214 you could try if you feel inclined. I also have a Tenshock 32x36 steel prop that might be fun to try. The profile features back-cut to unload. Just let me know, I don't mind loaning to you for testing.

If you get it hooked up with those sizes, I have a Tenshock CNC aluminum P/N TSJ-K4834, 34mm, total pitch right at 48mm. That should break into the low 60mph range if it will handle it.

On our Renegades, we run a V935/3 cut down to 32mm. However, with that high of RPM, I don't think it is appropriate at all. That thing would be doing upwards of 75+mph if it hooked up with that prop. Who knows how hot it would get!

Do you have a link to propshop?

Meniscus
03-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Sure, let me look. I know in the past, it took me a long time to find.

Here you go: http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/index.php?section=home

Let me know if you want a picture of one of these little guys.

Meniscus
03-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Propshop Prop Chart can be found here (http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/uploads/20100308115251_SPCSizeGuide.pdf)

ray schrauwen
03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
A Turnigy Push 60 amp esc should do the trick. Not cheap but you get a great esc for the money and I doubt you will need to cool it. It is designed for an airplane but, the Plush esc's calibrate fine with pistol grip.

Thats the esc I would run if and when I make one of these. I've got that little inrunner already kicking around.

Doug Smock
03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Doug,

Thanks Ben.:thumbup1:

Meniscus
03-08-2011, 09:29 AM
A Turnigy Push 60 amp esc should do the trick. Not cheap but you get a great esc for the money and I doubt you will need to cool it. It is designed for an airplane but, the Plush esc's calibrate fine with pistol grip.

Thats the esc I would run if and when I make one of these. I've got that little inrunner already kicking around.

I've run the old Seaking 60A without water cooling on many occasions. That one in particular seems to run fairly cool as long as you're full throttle.

Thanks Ben.:thumbup1:

No problem Doug, just let me know.

Chuck E Cheese
03-08-2011, 11:53 AM
this looks good. i truly believe you guys are wasting your time with that motor. you need to be using the df400 from the renegade rigger and castle mamba 25a esc. here is a video of my "jae micro" and i think it will walk away from the ones i have seen in this forum (got it from rundog who got it from gman on rcu). and this is on a x427
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REhnHgSUYo

Meniscus
03-08-2011, 12:00 PM
I believe the point was for an inexpensive build. If we're talking motor options, my Renegade runs on this: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/motors/hk22/HK-2208-24/

I've yet to run full throttle because she flies. It's more than plenty on a 3s1p 1300mah 25/40C. Otherwise, Scorpion has a 4400kv version: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/motors/hk22/HK-2221-6/ which would be too much power IMHO. However on 2s1p, you could run a V935/3 if you watched the amps. You would certainly need a 60A ESC and a higher C rating battery such as 30C at 2200mah.

I for one am just glad there's regained interest in these small riggers. They are too much fun at no slouch speeds.

Brushless55
03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
what about this motor on 3s?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11178

Doug Smock
03-08-2011, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=Meniscus;292985]I believe the point was for an inexpensive build. QUOTE]
That is correct. The point of the exercise is to see how cheaply we can get the average Joe in the pond with a decent reliable setup.
Chuck that boat is screaming but again, Joe will need a bag to put the pieces in after his first run with that setup.:doh:

Doug

ray schrauwen
03-08-2011, 01:59 PM
This is going to be a fun summer...

Thanks for the neat thread guys!!

ray schrauwen
03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
This just came out from HK, you think they will make bigger ones soon? Water cooled outrunner:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11875

Meniscus
03-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Personally, I think that those wires look awful lightweight. If the max is 30A, then you may fry it. It is a step in the right direction. LittleScreamers was supposed to come out with smaller sizes, but I never saw them.

old guy
03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I have a 3800KV Tenshok motor and the ELE 40A esc would this work in this?? to small, to big, just right???:help:
Thanks For the Help
Rick

Meniscus
03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Just right as long as you don't over prop. X632 right at border line, much more you should be careful. The Tenshock motors, believe it or not, are capable of more watts than you think. You'll cook the ESC.

old guy
03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Just right as long as you don't over prop. X632 right at border line, much more you should be careful. The Tenshock motors, believe it or not, are capable of more watts than you think. You'll cook the ESC.

:doh: The ESC came with the motor from mini cat it said 40A Waterproof-Water cooled 6 - 18 nimh or 2-5 lithium. :sinking-guy: so this will not work what would I need a 60 amp for a little boat like that? this is the part of FE I have no clue about:cursing:
Rick

Meniscus
03-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I just happen to know these motors and would recommend that if you're running 3s, that is fairly high RPM with a 3800kv motor. I was merely trying to provide a top limit for this combination without really being careful. Careful would be not running with hopping in the turns, no half throttle running only full throttle, and watching climbouts.

If you ran a 60A ESC, it would run cooler and less concern for components. With a X632 hooked up, neutral strut, she would be flying at upper 50s. Send me a PM if this doesn't make sense.

Simon.O.
03-11-2011, 02:16 AM
I'll shoot in a pennies worth here. I have a 3800kv OR motor in my baby rigger that with those sort of revs is limited to 4x props. 427,430 and a 432 for some real heat and less speed.
I run a similar can in my baby cat and that loves the 427 as much as a 430 if not more.
MY take on small hulls is to go for high rpm with a small prop......actually Ben will agree that I do that for some of my bigger hulls too.

I am know to spin 4400 kv motors on 3S :tape:

fwiw I would not spin a 632 on anything less than a 36mm dia Inrunner or a well known 28mm dia out-runner.
I prefer to over power and under prop for a kick off and then dig into to the prop box if I want my hulls to smell bad ( most of them do )

These are my opinions based on water time with my hulls.

Meniscus
03-11-2011, 01:02 PM
You're right, I am a fan of more RPM and less prop.

Regarding the x632, I do run on many in-runner motors less than 36mm. In fact, I've run that prop on as small as 20mm x 40mm in the case of some of the Tenshock motors, but I wouldn't recommend that to everyone as the Amps could be too much for most motors of that size. On outrunners, I've run a x632 on as small as 400 size. Sometimes though, these outrunners are not designed for the higher amperage. Easy way to tell is to look at the wires. If they're small, then you can bet they'll give way.

I don't see any issue for example, running x632 on a 28mm long can or even short can for that matter. Essentially, it pulls about the same amps as a detongued Y535 that is commonly used for hydros and riggers of this size. That's not saying though that if your setup is running very wet or the prop is cavitating, then you could have a problem.

4X4FABGUY
03-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Hi Guys I have been looking at this thread and I wanted to make some comments, it seems your looking for a cheap reliable rigger set up and I think I found it. The boat in the video Chuck E Cheese posted above was built by me, Thanks for posting that Chuck, I never did shoot any video of it before I sold it to rumdog. It looks like its still running great. My intention when building that boat was to go real fast for cheap. I got plans for the jap rigger way back when they were first posted and I had to try the flat sided sponsons. They seemed weird to me, how could that work ya know, so I made that lil guy to try some. The results were good as you can see from the video. I had never built a rigger that turned so well or went so fast for so little money. Unless you or rumdog changed anything that boat is powered by a mystery brand 2830-3850kv outrunner motor and a mystery brand 30 amp spd con, Both air cooled. And very fast, Like Chuck said thats a 427 prop on it now, it will go faster with a 430 And I had good luck with a cut down and very thin 432. I did mill some small cooling fins into the motor mount but thats it for cooling. That set up can be had for under 25 shipped, motor and control. I ran 40c 3s 1050 rhino lipos that can be had for 15 bucks each or less on sale. I made very simple hardware from sheet stainless for the rudder and strut. The rudder turned out to be too weak during high speed tumbles across the water. But the motor and controller worked great, air cooled! I even ran the one in my cat on 4s with no problems and they work great with a car radio, no pistix. I wanted to make a build thread so folks could go fast cheap and I posted here or on rrr I cant remember, but no one was into minis at the time I guess, I got almost no replys? Maybe nows the time to try again. I do miss the lil guy. I wanted one with more room in the tub but I have not built it yet. Heres a pic. Please ask questions if you have any and I will help if I can. Mike M http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/4x4fabguy/101_1037.jpg

Simon.O.
03-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Fwiw my mini is based on this bright coloured rigger !!

martin
03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I now only run mini, micro boats.Re motor, props,cells etc Im running a 15" mono deep v on a 2836 outrunner motor which im now up to 3800kv on 3s 40c-90c lipo. Started at 3000kv & worked up to 3450kv then 3600 & now on 3800kv all on 3s. All runs done on an Octura metal X435 sharpened & balanced prop, Its kinda quick for a mono. Re esc i normally use Etti 45 amp but their quite expensive for what they are but still a very good esc as im sure those that use Etti will confirm. So thought i would try one of the many cheapo esc around as it was only £13 or $20 & cant believe how good this esc is working considering how hard im pushing this esc, Its a 60 amp by the way. Motor also is only £12 or $19, This thing is doing around mid to high 40s in a straight line. So this is the set up i will be trying in the Mini Sprint when i get one & also making another from the JAE plans when they become available. Ive been experimenting with this set up for around 6 months now running every week sometimes going out 3-4 times a week. So i havnt literally just used this set up now & again. Cant wait to try this new boat when its available. Thanks.

monojeff
03-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I now only run mini, micro boats.Re motor, props,cells etc Im running a 15" mono deep v on a 2836 outrunner motor which im now up to 3800kv on 3s 40c-90c lipo. Started at 3000kv & worked up to 3450kv then 3600 & now on 3800kv all on 3s. All runs done on an Octura metal X435 sharpened & balanced prop, Its kinda quick for a mono. Re esc i normally use Etti 45 amp but their quite expensive for what they are but still a very good esc as im sure those that use Etti will confirm. So thought i would try one of the many cheapo esc around as it was only £13 or $20 & cant believe how good this esc is working considering how hard im pushing this esc, Its a 60 amp by the way. Motor also is only £12 or $19, This thing is doing around mid to high 40s in a straight line. So this is the set up i will be trying in the Mini Sprint when i get one & also making another from the JAE plans when they become available. Ive been experimenting with this set up for around 6 months now running every week sometimes going out 3-4 times a week. So i havnt literally just used this set up now & again. Cant wait to try this new boat when its available. Thanks.

What esc is it that your using???

martin
03-21-2011, 04:58 PM
What esc is it that your using???
The esc is listed as an RC Max which i think may also be the same as an SP but not 100% sure on that, Thay also go up to 200amp for around £40 or $60. Good value if someone wants to build a cheap 5-6s boat as long as you are sensible. Only time will tell on this esc but at $20 a go for a 60 amp its less than a 1/3rd of the price i pay for the 45amp ones i normally use. Thanks.

wrongway
03-23-2011, 03:58 AM
AWSOME JIM
Just awsome! I want one now.

Rumdog
03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
I bought that rigger from 4x4fabguy. It handled EXCELLENT! Now i miss it!

Jim Bob
06-10-2011, 10:02 PM
A new video of my "JAE mini sprint" I put in a new motor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDk8cmcEocs

martin
06-11-2011, 03:22 AM
Looking good, Should be even faster on glass water. Can you give details on motor used, Also what type of bearings / bushings do you use in the strut assembly ie floating brass bush, ball races, lead teflon or another type. Thanks Martin.

BILL OXIDEAN
06-11-2011, 07:06 AM

That little mother$%#%^ is RIPPING! Whats in it??!?

lectriglide
06-11-2011, 10:19 AM
That little mother$%#%^ is RIPPING! Whats in it??!?

Yeah, Yeah inquiring minds want to know!! I've got a pre-built one coming but don't have a motor yet (but now I know) so PLEASE tell us your set-up. :thumbup:

Brushless55
06-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Holly crap! :w00t:
looks like perfect water for those nutso speeds :rockon2:
but please tell us what motor and cell count are you using... :spy:

electric
06-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Patiently waiting for the motor/prop/batt combo used....... I have one pre-built and two that I am building...yes I am building a fleet of these for the family to race....

Rich
06-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I think this little boat is my ticket for learning riggers. ....Subscribed :sold:

Jim Bob
06-12-2011, 01:00 PM
40 amp mystery ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9482
3S 2650 mah battery
4300 kV in runner motor
1630 prop de-tongued and back cut
1/4" x 1/8" stainless steel bearings in the strut
I do not suggest this motor/ battery combo for everyday driving. It is extreme. If I were building a fleet for my family I would go with a 3800 kv motor. i Hope ive got all your questiions answered.

martin
06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Many thanks for answers, I assume the 1/4" x 1/8" stainless bearings are ball races as thats what i use also. Is the 1630 prop an Octura or something else. And what 4300kv motor do you have. I was looking towards a Leopard 2845 4110kv or 4430kv on 3s for extreme runs. Thanks Martin.

Jim Bob
06-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, They are ball bearings. The prop is made by Octura. The Motor is a 2845...not sure of the brand. Both of those motors on 3s should be extreme!

martin
06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
What diameter flex are you using, Also do you need remove the strut to get the flex out or are you using a .098" flex that will pull out through the ball bearings. Thanks. Martin.

electric
06-13-2011, 03:18 PM
40 amp mystery ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9482
3S 2650 mah battery
4300 kV in runner motor
1630 prop de-tongued and back cut
1/4" x 1/8" stainless steel bearings in the strut
I do not suggest this motor/ battery combo for everyday driving. It is extreme. If I were building a fleet for my family I would go with a 3800 kv motor. i Hope ive got all your questiions answered.

Thanks for the information. Yes, need to watch the speed for family use. My son (6 years old) is already racing SV's so is very skilled and a bit scary fast for his age. He beats everyone racing Slash's.. Those quick reflexes I guess. Helps that he started with cars at age 2 and is crazy about them. Chuckle. Might try something resembling your set up and just start with a 2s battery to keep the speed down.

electric
06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes, They are ball bearings. The prop is made by Octura. The Motor is a 2845...not sure of the brand. Both of those motors on 3s should be extreme!

Jim, where are you getting these "ball bearing" setups? Have never worked with that kind of drive system before.

martin
06-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Jim, where are you getting these "ball bearing" setups? Have never worked with that kind of drive system before.
This is where i get them from in the UK www.rcbearings.co.uk im sure theirs places like this in the US. Their mainly used on rc cars & helicopters in both imperial & metric, Their also very cheap ideal for putting in water. They seem to last quite well but at the price they are you can change them & not worry about costs. Martin.

Jim Bob
06-13-2011, 11:52 PM
I get my Ball Bearings here.

http://www.bocabearings.com/

Yes it is .098 flex. The bearings stay in the strut.

electric
06-14-2011, 08:05 AM

Ok,last questions, I hope. I get that you slide them into the strut and then the shaft goes through the bearing, but:
1. How many bearings are needed in the strut itself?
2. What keeps them from working their way out the back or front. I guess the drive dog does and there is no where to go the other way. Just making sure I "get it" before I do it. Any pictures of this kind of set up?
3. Sealed bearings(rubber seal) or the other kind?

Jim Bob
06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
2 bearings in the strut. The front bearing is a standard bearing (http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/17921/SR144C-0125x025x09375) and is held in place by the front of the strut. Either the nose cone of the strut or the stuffing tube that is inserted in the strut. Then there is a piece of brass tubing used as a spacer to keep the bearing from walking to the rear of the strut. then a flanged and single shielded bearing( http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/7427/SFR144CYZZNB2-01250x02500x01094). I machined my strut so the bearings fit nicely, but if they are a little loose the drive dog and shaft will keep the bearings in the strut. I just use the shielded bearings.

BILL OXIDEAN
06-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Boca bearings thats right!

martin
06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
2 bearings in the strut. The front bearing is a standard bearing (http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/17921/SR144C-0125x025x09375) and is held in place by the front of the strut. Either the nose cone of the strut or the stuffing tube that is inserted in the strut. Then there is a piece of brass tubing used as a spacer to keep the bearing from walking to the rear of the strut. then a flanged and single shielded bearing( http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/7427/SFR144CYZZNB2-01250x02500x01094). I machined my strut so the bearings fit nicely, but if they are a little loose the drive dog and shaft will keep the bearings in the strut. I just use the shielded bearings.
That exactally the way i make mine with ball bearings, Ive had to go up in size on my new struts to 4mm id x 7mm od ball bearings so i can use .130" flex & 4mm stub shaft so it still all pulls out through the ball bearings. I had to do this on my 15" micro mono because i started breaking .098" Octura flexes as the boats got faster & the torque from my outrunner motor was destroying them. Martin.

electric
06-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks a lot! That fully explains how to do it.