PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Wrap

monojeff
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Per a request here is a brief how to on installing a wrap.

For this particular wrap I chose not to do it as one piece because I wasn't sure exactly the shape of the windshield & deck was going to be so I separated it into 3 pieces sometimes referred to as skins.

1) Always work in a clean environment with no dust or dirt around.

2) Clean the surface before you install the wrap or decals.
I prefer to use 70+% rubbing alcohol but you can use anything similar or even soap & water but make sure it is completely dry before installing the wrap or decals.
Also make sure to use low lint or lint free paper towel or rags.

3) Position the decal where it is going to be placed then secure it with tape in the corners so you can manipulate it if needed to get it even & square. Once you have it positioned correctly place a piece of tape across the center of the decal so it will not move.

4) Peel back half or the decal or wrap to where you have your tape holing it in place & cut the backing paper. Hold the decal firmly & start to squeegee it into place. It is best to keep the decal at as low an angle to the surface as possible to make sure it doesn't shift on you.

5) if needed on contoured or rounded surfaces use a heat gun which will make the decal/wrap a little more pliable or stretchy so you can contour to curves & shapes. The heat will shrink the vinyl unless you hold it firmly & you can also stretch the vinyl if needed.

monojeff
02-05-2011, 07:50 PM
You can see here I started on the front of the deck then worked my way twords the windshield area.

When you get to a point where you are going to need to start using heat to stretch the vinyl you can cut the wrap if possible to relieve some stress & make it easier to stretch around the curves..

You can see I started to work my way up the windshield & back towards the transom.
Basically you squeegee as much of the wrap as I can until it won't let you anymore then apply heat & press the wrap down with your fingers around the contours in this case the V or bottom of the windshield then work your way up then down.

Work the area where the curve is the most dramatic then pull & stretch the vinyl on the areas that are above & blow the curves. Key is to have someone help you if you can. It is good to hold the vinyl tight with one hand have someone apply a little heat so you can press it down & squeegee it flat.

DO NOT USE TO MUCH HEAT!!!

You will be able to see when the vinyl starts to change & flatten out it's had enough heat.
It usually takes about a second or two and you don't want to heat it up & let it cool to much so try your best to get it on the first try.
A little at a time is key & sometimes you will heat your fingers a but to much it's just part of it sometimes.

If you heat it to much the vinyl will get to thin & either stretch, rip or crinkle on you.

monojeff
02-05-2011, 07:58 PM
The left side went on good but the right side I cut to close to the windshield & didn't have enough material to stretch to cover it completely so I cut it & will patch a piece over it.

Even the pros can make mistakes but it's easy to fix by cutting another piece to cover the area that was messed up or didn't work.

ALWAYS USE A SHARP KNIFE or you will get a sloppy edge when cutting.
Also ALWAYS get the best quality of vinyl you can which will make things A LOT easier to install.
Some vinyls do not stretch or go over curves as easy as others.

The vinyl I print on has an air release technology & it is meant for wraps so if you squeegee it down & it doesn't look right or if you get a wrinkle you can pick it back up & try again.

Set the vinyl with some heat when your down & give everything one last once over & seal all edges with either CA or epoxy that might be close to the water or you can clear over things if you want.

Any questions feel free to ask.
Hope I helped some people understand a little more about installing wraps.

Brushless55
02-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Good stuff Jeff, thanks for posting this :beerchug:
and I like those graphics, that style could work on my PT SS45

H2OCamel
02-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Very nice! thanks also for showing us how.

monojeff
02-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Very nice! thanks also for showing us how.

I tried to show as many pics as I could to help people see how it's done obviously every boat / application is a bit different.

I will be wrapping a Baja 5T here in the next week I will get some pictures of that as well which has a lot of curves similar to a lot of boats & hatches.

Brushless55
02-06-2011, 12:58 AM
I tried to show as many pics as I could to help people see how it's done obviously every boat / application is a bit different.

I will be wrapping a Baja 5T here in the next week I will get some pictures of that as well which has a lot of curves similar to a lot of boats & hatches.

Jeff, what about the 5B?

monojeff
02-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Jeff, what about the 5B?

I am doing a full wrap on a Woodster wide body 5T for a friend next week.
I'll post some pictures of that so people can see more of the process of installing a wrap.

I am also printing up Woodsters new grill & light kits & made some window nets for Woodster.

dreamland s4
02-09-2011, 11:32 PM
unbelievable this guy! wooow

chummer
02-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Cool thread...Subscribed!!!!:thumbup: