PDA

View Full Version : Strong &light glue for foam ?

Andris Golts
02-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi all im in the process of building a Forrester hydromite i like to glue DOW pink foam between the exteroir frames off the sponson bottoms nontrips and deck area and sand flush with the frame work for floatation and and extra gluing surface ,I was considering substituting the 1/16'' balsa decks that where called for in the plans for 1/64'' birch ply on my larger boats i use slow set epoxy .I have been informed epoxy is one off the heaviest glues out there as weight is critical for a micro hydro i was considering foam c.a glue but over $16 .7 oz very expensive . What are my other gluing options if any ? Regards Andris Golts.

NativePaul
02-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Uhu Por contact adhesive, I have used it and Uhu StyroPor (same thing but they dropped styro from the name years ago) on several wood over foam boats with blue, pink and yellow foam, and have used it on white foam flotation, it doesn't soak into wood like epoxy or cynao and much of the weight evaporates off but unlike most contact adhesives the solvent is foam safe.

I have also used copydex contact adhesive in the past which I think is latex based, but Uhu Por bonds better and is lighter.

Or you can make an epoxy glued balsa skin much lighter by applying a coat of cellulose dope sanding the balsa and recoating with dope, which weighs virtually nothing once it evaporates but stops the balsa absorbing the epoxy, which is a large proportion of the weight. DON'T try to do it to the foam too though as the solvent in dope is definitely NOT foam safe.

HOTWATER
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Here's another one...

-Kent

---> http://www.2dogrc.com/product/foam-tac-rc-glue-2-oz