PDA

View Full Version : Wiredrive install question

Dragboatdad
02-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I have a EKOS with Feigao 380 10 xl stock stingers with Boca Bearings.How much of a gap, if any, do you leave between end of stinger and nylon washer behind prop dog. I'm running a x442 prop. Thanks

forescott
02-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Not much, the wire wont shrink when the prop spools up like a flex cable so minimal space is needed between the drive dog and strut. Just a little gap is enough. Maybe 1/16".

Dragboatdad
02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks, thats about what I thought

Dragboatdad
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
FYI. A 1/16"(.0625) collar with Allen set screw from my local hobby shop fits great right between coupler and stuffing tube to secure wire drive in the event of a coupler becoming loose.

Jeff Wohlt
02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Thought I posted a response on this but do not see it. PM me if you have any questions on wire drives. Couplers are the key.

Igoreski
02-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Thought I posted a response on this but do not see it. PM me if you have any questions on wire drives. Couplers are the key.

Do you think the collet style like the Octura Hex are better or the ones with the hex screws in there.I have your couplers which worked great for the 130 flex but I have to replace them anyways to switch to wire drives on my 3/16 stingers.I know that there is less friction and no shrinkage with wire drives is there any other advantages or disadvantages with this system.

Jeff Wohlt
02-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Well less friction/resistance is the key one. No worries about a R&L cable for twin setups. Smaller stuffing tubes. Easy to service. Smoother running in the drive tube.

The Octura couplers are nice when they fit the mounts...ekos you would have to modify the mount.

I have sold at least a hundred sets all over the world for the EKOS setups running 4 and 5S and no complaints.

Igoreski
02-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Well less friction/resistance is the key one. No worries about a R&L cable for twin setups. Smaller stuffing tubes. Easy to service. Smoother running in the drive tube.

The Octura couplers are nice when they fit the mounts...ekos you would have to modify the mount.

I have sold at least a hundred sets all over the world for the EKOS setups running 4 and 5S and no complaints.

Yes and no complaints from me on your 130 flex drives and couplers they were great and I never had to worry about sending my Octura props to the bottom of the lake.The Octura head size must be bigger than your screw couplers.Next Question which is better and more secure.

Jeff Wohlt
02-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Because of ease the Octura are easier and less issues to screw up. If done right and checked, the set screw is very good. After some wear the Octura could allow the wire to spin but can happen with anything. I like them both.
I have been told by one of the oldest record setters that he has never used an octura coupler...and he sells them!He only uses set screw style...for what that is worth.

forescott
02-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Plus the set screw style that Jeff sells is lighter and will spool up quicker than the heavier octura collet. Kinda like putting an aluminum flywheel on a car. It's more noticeable on the small 380-sized motors with less torque.

Igoreski
02-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info I will be placing an order for wire drives,couplers and I hope you also have the brass tube and teflon liner for the wire.The correct size for this set up is 3/16 brass tube and .098 teflon liner ???