PDA

View Full Version : Darin's 1980 Suzuki GS850G Project

Darin Jordan
02-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Got myself a little side project!

My buddy needed to unload this 1980 Suzuki GS850G... I picked it up for $400.00, delivered! Runs. Needed the carbs rebuilt and a little TLC, so I went in.

First step was to tear down the tank and tins, and get the carbs in the process of being rebuilt. Carbs are on hold for some parts, but got the tank and fenders off, degreased and pressure washed the frame, and have things ready to start getting back togther.

Also have a friend of mine from Church having his painter from his work working over the painted bits. Should be cool!

Darin Jordan
02-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Had to dump the sissy bar and fairing. Not my style.

Got a preview of the painted parts today... Not exactly the colors I was going for, but I think it's going to look pretty cool when it's all back together. Definitely unique!

For you purists... sorry... I'm not into restorations... I'm a hot-rodder at heart, and while I'm all about making things nice... leaving them stock is not in my DNA!

drwayne
02-01-2011, 04:33 AM
traditional colors are blue on white.
I had the GS1000S
Mods included 1+1/2" radial flat slide carbs, ported, 4-1's .. barked like a rabid dog....
NICE !
however, nuthn beats a mono shock rear..
The GSXR1100 was called an advancement for a very good reason ( still got this one )

good project darin,,, classics are gr8 fun.

drwayne
02-12-2011, 07:10 PM
sitrep
you dropped it yet ?

Darin Jordan
02-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Thought I'd have it running this weekend, but I still have an intake problem it seems. Disassembled and rebuilt the carbs, but it's running exactly the same. Looks like I have some leakes in the intakes, so I ordered new intakes, o-rings, and fasteners this morning.

In the meantime, started fitting the painted parts... This is going to look COOL!

Also recieved my new fork seals and Progressive front springs, so I'll be rebuilding the forks next.

Damn parts store should have a truck dedicated to my address it seems! Hopefully I've just about got it covered....

raptor347
02-26-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm really starting to miss my old CB750 right about now. May have to start looking again. Then we can give up on FE and just go for rides on the weekends.:eek:

Just kidding, not giving up on FE yet. Not kidding about another old bike.

Doug Smock
02-26-2011, 10:20 PM
She's lookin good Darin!!!
Man be safe out there.
Doug

Darin Jordan
02-27-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm really starting to miss my old CB750 right about now. May have to start looking again. Then we can give up on FE and just go for rides on the weekends.:eek:

Just kidding, not giving up on FE yet. Not kidding about another old bike.

Hahaha... No way! I've been working on the details of being able to transport my FE stuff to the lake via SUZUKI!! Might have to fab a trailer setup! :thumbup1:

dano1
02-27-2011, 05:17 PM
nice, good to see someone appriciating a oldie but a goodie, check out motorcyclesuperstore.com, they have some great deals also on parts

rchuntlsl
02-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Looks cool like the cafe racers. You should get handlebars that are bent down like the old school cafe racers in the 50's and an old style seat. That would make that bike perfect.

Darin Jordan
03-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Disassembled the forks the other night. Have them all cleaned up, wiped down, new seals installed, and one of them back together to the point of being ready for new oils and to install the new Progressive springs (Progressive brand "progressive" springs... ;) )

Need to pick up the oil on the way home from work tonight. Might have them all back together this evening.

New carb parts have shipped, so hopefully will have all of those pieces here this weekend...

BILL OXIDEAN
03-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Disassembled the forks the other night. Have them all cleaned up, wiped down, new seals installed, and one of them back together to the point of being ready for new oils and to install the new Progressive springs (Progressive brand "progressive" springs... ;) )

Need to pick up the oil on the way home from work tonight. Might have them all back together this evening.

New carb parts have shipped, so hopefully will have all of those pieces here this weekend...

Drain! Nice Fonzerelli bud! That sucker is Clean! My neighbor restores early eighties street bikes and your work is much nicer lol..
I want me a 1984 Yamaha TT

siberianhusky
03-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Nice job! One of my bikes is a very built 1981 yamaha RD350lc, the cylinders are off one I used to ride on the track, it has a knife edge powerband and is borderline streetable!
Once it get on the pipe it flies, it's quicker than my ZX6r through the first 3 gears!
Nothing beats those old 2 stroke street bikes for sheer excitement.
I'd trade almost anything for an old Kawi 750 triple, or a Suzuki water buffalo. Both death traps!
The other lust if for a Triumph powered chopper.
A set of clubman bars are what the other poster is talking about. Available from Spec2 racing, lots of repro vintage race bike fairings and stuff there. A nice cafe style solo seat is what you need!

Darin Jordan
03-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Got the front end back together tonight... Went with 20Wt oil in the fork with the new Progressive springs... might be a little too stiff, but we'll see. Changing oil isn't too tough, so I'll go with it for now and see how my wrists hold up. Should be good for some "spirited" riding... :thumbup:

Darin Jordan
03-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Got it together enough today to take it for a ride! Rides nicely. Still needs some tweaking and tuning, but she's a RUNNER!!

Andrewg
03-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Darren that is a very clean bike.

I had a 1000G after a couple of Ducatis including a 900ss superbike and the Suzuki is much more fun, WAY more comfy and it has the quality of being easy to go fast on. Nice predicatble handling.

And you got it just in time for summer - fantastic.

Darin Jordan
05-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Got the exhaust cleaned up this week...

Took the header off the bike and had it sand blasted and flame-spray aluminum coated (alumicoated), then painted it with VHT 2000-degree black header paint.

Got a new "competition" baffle for the megaphone to replace the original rusted out one, and put in new glass packing.

Sounds a lot better now, and looks a lot cleaner. I think getting the correct baffle in the megaphone may also have cured my fuel mixture issues, as I think the backpressure was all messed up due to the rusted out original one.

Now I just need some nice weather!

Next step, as soon as the new custom seat cover gets here (black with red stitching and flames stitched into the rear part of the seat!), I'm going to rebuild and upgrade the foam in the seat and recover it.

Also have new mirrors on the way.

Then it's going to be time to see if I can find a Wes Cooley fairing to fit onto it... :thumbup1:

Darin Jordan
05-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Got the next little project in the mail today... Custom done seat cover... Have some new foam for the seat as well. Stock foam, on the driver's portion, is so soft, it compresses down to the pan... This update should bring it back to snuff!

bardahlracing
05-12-2011, 10:04 PM
That's a beauty Darin, she oughta be a nice cruiser for commuting economically, I think the colors give it a nice,clean look !!

Darin Jordan
05-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Well... THIS is slowing me down!!

I started doing the rebuild of the seat, and when I got the cover off, found this! NO WONDER the seat was so darn soft (you'd sit on it and it'd collapse down almost to the seat pan)

Someone previously had cut away the original foam, and replaced it with this much softer black colored open-celled foam.

I'm on the lookout for another seat that I can pirate the foam from. My seatpan is MUCH cleaner than most, and I already have it cleaned up and repainted, so I don't have to be as picky finding a replacement seat, as long as the foam is good. Hopefully that will make finding something a little easier. Already have a bid on one on E-Bay that happens to have the factory grab-bar on it as well, so hopefully I get that one.

Guess I'm parked until I get that here... Oh well... will give me some time to work on boats!

bardahlracing
05-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Darin I`ve found that a local upholstery shop will build the foam for your seat/cover and install the new cover on it fairly reasonable, it may be impossible to find origional foam in usable condition??, just a thought, good luck.

Darin Jordan
05-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Darin I`ve found that a local upholstery shop will build the foam for your seat/cover and install the new cover on it fairly reasonable, it may be impossible to find origional foam in usable condition??, just a thought, good luck.

Thanks... There are actually quite a few used seats out there. Most have the seat-pans rusted out and the covers thrashed, but the foam is pretty hard to destroy.

I have a large piece of "Super-Cell" foam from Sargent-Cycle (motorcycle seat-builder) and was going to update this foam I have here, but now that I see what the deal was, I think a decent used seat would be the solution. I already have my seatpan all cleaned up and repainted, and a brand-new cover, so a good piece of original foam should fix me up. Here's hoping!! :Praying:

Darin Jordan
05-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Got the mirrors installed yesterday. The addition of the bar-end mirror REALLY helps the rear-view, and should prove to be a nice thing to have. Two main mirrors are kind of iffy quality. We'll see how they hold up. If I like them, but they don't hold up, I'll at least know what style/size to get when looking for getter quality parts. Bar-end mirrors are NICE quality for the price, and fit very securely.

Can't go ride it yet because I'm still working on re-covering the seat, so will have to test this setup out later.

ron1950
05-19-2011, 01:02 PM
looks as if that seat was built for comfort and not speed lol

Darin Jordan
06-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Well, thanks to some help from a guy on "theGSResources.com" forum, and to a find on E-Bay, I was able to proceed, and complete, my new seat cover installation.

Got a killer deal on a seat foam that was in excellent condition, and I found another seat on E-Bay that had the factory chrome grab bar.

After doing some cleanup, some polishing, and some buffing, time to do some assembly.

I replaced the square of foam that is under the drivers seat with a piece of the "Super Cell" foam that I got from Sargent Cycle, to firm things up a bit. Used some Super 77 spray adhesive to hold the entire seat foam in place.

Having already prepped all the factory tabs to get them all bent out and ready to secure the cover to, (and only missing ONE of them, which I considered pretty fortunate), I secured the back center of the cover first. I also installed a stainless safety wire piece, like the factory did, under the cover at the hooks.

After taking my time and streching, hooking, stretching, and hooking, I got the cover all secured and centered and it fit great. I added some additional stainless screws with stainless upholstery washers on the ends to better hold the cover in place, and used a 3/16" pop rivet with large washer in the spot where the factory hook was missing.

Installed the grab bar, hinges, and new hinge pins, and BAM! DONE!

Very pleased, and it's much more confortable now. Bike is looking great and I can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can RIDE!!

sunexim
06-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Sound you are on a some kinda project, Its looks its not a easy task. So all my best wishes with you mate.

sunexim
06-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Thanks for keep us along side with little operation, I do like its observation

Darin Jordan
06-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Did a little more tuning this weekend... Adjusted the valves, which were, except for the #3 cylinder and the intake valve on #2, all too tight. Once I got those all adjusted to the high-end of the tolerance (when they wear, then tend to wear tighter, so starting with them a little loose increases the time between valve adjustments), I reset the carbs, ran it to warm it up, and then hooked up my new CarbTune tool (www.carbtune.com).

Found that the carbs were WAY out of balance (see picture 1). After about 20-minutes of adjusting and tweaking and adjusting and tweaking again, I ended up getting them pretty much perfect.

Makes a HUGE difference in how smooth this feels! The vibration in the handlebars is almost totally gone. Acceleration is smooth and the bike sounds "throatier"... haven't had it out for a really long ride yet, but the round trip down to the swim club and back gave me the impression that all this was WELL worth it! Just felt great.

Also, I was having issues with #4 running REALLY rich, and the header on that cylinder running about 150-degrees cooler than the rest. Everything is all even now.

Going to tackle the brakes next, I think. Stainless braided lines, rebuilt masters and calipers, and some decent pads. Need to save up some funds to get that one going!

sunexim
07-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Cool story about Darin. That inspires us to do some extra ordinary :P