PDA

View Full Version : Traxxas Spartan Prop Selection?

djmaincheese
01-31-2011, 12:26 AM
You may have seen that I upgraded the Motor and ESC in my Traxxas Spartan
I installed the Leopard 3674 1300KV Motor and Sea King 120A ESC,

I tried the running the Grim Racer 42mm X 55mm but she seems kinda sluggish. I switched back to the stock 42mm X 59mm and it was a little better.

Im wondering what you guys think I should possibly try, granted it may take a couple to find the sweet spot but at least I have a motor and ESC that can push this 36" hull with no heat issues.
Should I try the Prather 225 or the Octura X445, or something a little bigger?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

'Im running 2 Venom 3S2P 6400mah Batteries so they are a bit heavier than the normal 5000mah lipo's out there that most people seem to be running.

Here is a short clip of some passes....., until i get a gps or radar gun I have no idea but iI know it's not even pushing the 50mph mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thYgeQ_dpfI

Steven Vaccaro
01-31-2011, 07:18 AM

I tried the running the Grim Racer 42mm X 55mm but she seems kinda sluggish. I switched back to the stock 42mm X 59mm and it was a little better.

Im wondering what you guys think I should possibly try, granted it may take a couple to find the sweet spot but at least I have a motor and ESC that can push this 36" hull with no heat issues.

'Im running 2 Venom 3S2P 6400mah Batteries so they are a bit heavier than the normal 5000mah lipo's out there that most people seem to be running.

Here is a short clip of some passes....., until i get a gps or radar gun I have no idea but iI know it's not even pushing the 50mph mark

I would say to try an Octura x642

Fluid
01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
If you are interested in higher speeds you need a prop with more pitch. Going from a 59mm pitch to a 55mm pitch is the wrong direction as you discovered. Steve's sugestion of an x642 is good, and if the motor will swing it without overheating an m445 would work well too. 42mm props are on the small side for a 36" boat.

djmaincheese
01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
I just checked and the X642 has the same diameter as the stock prop 42mm, but the Pitch is 67mm compared to the stock 59mm

Looks like the m445 might be a better starting point at 45mm X 63mm

Thank you for the replies.

rugcommunity
02-07-2011, 09:57 PM

We also have the exact same set up and struggling on the prop selection. We went with what everyone said - trying out the Octura 442 - its installed and ready for the next run - but I have a feeling we might need something either with more pitch or diameter or both. Any better ideas or someone who has already done the leg/home work?

dag-nabit
02-07-2011, 11:16 PM
JPirami has had his Spartan up to 57 MPH (unofficial) and 55.3, I think it was, confirmed on a GPS and a clean run, using an M445 prop.

You can see his posts and videos in the Traxxas RTR forum here on OSE, or on the Traxxas forum.

His set up is a bit different though, he has a Leopard 4082 1500kv and 180 amp ESC.

With the 1300kv it will need even more prop to match those speeds. It will be interesting to see how the 3674 handles the larger props.

Please keep us posted on your results.

Kevin

rugcommunity
02-07-2011, 11:26 PM
JPirami has had his Spartan up to 57 MPH (unofficial) and 55.3, I think it was, confirmed on a GPS and a clean run, using an M445 prop.

You can see his posts and videos in the Traxxas RTR forum here on OSE, or on the Traxxas forum.

His set up is a bit different though, he has a Leopard 4082 1500kv and 180 amp ESC.

With the 1300kv it will need even more prop to match those speeds. It will be interesting to see how the 3674 handles the larger props.

Please keep us posted on your results.

Kevin

Oh wow that sounds impressive. I just ordered a few more props to try out this weekend. If they arrive on time and have time to balance them I will post the results.

We are pretty sure the current ESC and Motor can handle the props we have in mind. Not too worried about overheating - we redid all the cooling with larger hoses, made the intake larger on the rudder (top and bottom) as well as the outlet. We might add another outlet for giggles - but honestly - I don't think we need it just yet.

We had it at full throttle for 15 minutes straight - the ESC and Motor were not hot AT ALL - in fact - the battery packs (SMC 11.1 3S LIPO) were hotter than the motor.

Thanks for the heads up - we will keep you posted.

Jpope
02-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I have a pair of stock spartans my son and i race in our pond, which prop would be a good upgrade? 42x59mm is whats on it(plastic) can i make any swap with out having to upgrade anything else on the boats?

keithbradley
02-26-2011, 12:53 PM
I would start a prather s220 if with that setup, the s225 you mention is a little big to start with and you may have problems keeping that hull in the water.

Shaun78
03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Anyone else have confirmed results on stock spartan, which props have been used and the results?

Boss777
06-22-2012, 05:47 PM
i have 1.9x3.0 48x78mm prop on my spartan with 1600kv castle motor and 180a hobby kind esc it runs good and its fast but i was looking for like 3 blade prop any one know good one
my tems are alreays below 110f on motor and esc so tems are nothing running cool all the time but i wanted 3 blade prop any know help out