PDA

View Full Version : miss geico in saltwater

scrpio17
01-30-2011, 02:26 PM
has anyone ran one in saltwater for any period of time and is there anything i can spray on gear and electrics it will be getting after each day of running and flushed out with freshwater

martin
01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Corrosion X spray is probably the most popular choice on here for metal protection & on electronics especially. Thanks Martin.

JackBlack26
01-31-2011, 08:24 PM
I ran mine in the San Diego bay before. Just rinsed it out and everything was fine. Only prep I did was wax the hull so the salt wouldn't dry and stick to the paint. Just make sure you seal it good in case it flips.

fallensk8man89
04-01-2011, 12:38 AM
i ran mine at the san diego model yacht pond and didnt rinse it out till i got home like 4 hours later and the cooling outlet on the side of the boat already started to rust. if u run it in salt water.. rinse it immediately afterwards... good!!!

Blockhart
06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I use spray silicone on everything, works great.

POWERS
06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I live in Florida and run mine in saltwater regularly. You just have to stay on top of preventative maintenance. Corrosion X is a must before and after. Also after my run when cleaning with fresh water i use something called Salt Away. I mix some up, put it in a spray bottle and then you can spray it in the water outlet till you see it coming out the pickup in the rudder, then rinse with fresh water and spray everything metal with corrosion X.

Running in saltwater can be fun especially if the water gets rough, it makes for a cool site almost like a real mystic offshore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbdH-b-Nhrs

bbosncali
06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Radio shack also sells a anti corrosion spray similar to corrosion x but you don't have to order it

Skholar
06-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I can't find corrosion X where I live....will WD-40 do the same thing? Silicone spray is easy to get..

Sorry for the newb question, but where do you apply your anti-corrosion spray of choice??

bbosncali
06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
I can't find corrosion X where I live....will WD-40 do the same thing? Silicone spray is easy to get..

Sorry for the newb question, but where do you apply your anti-corrosion spray of choice??

Radio shack they sell an anti corosion spray works the same as corrosion x

slowride
06-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I hit the waves several times a week at Cocoa Beach Fla. I rinse and flush the boat and system and also pull and clean and regrease the shaft every time.

Skholar
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Radio shack they sell an anti corosion spray works the same as corrosion x

Saw it on their website....all the radio shack stores in my area have been taken over by The Source and they no longer carry that product. Can anyone suggest a product that is readily available in Canada?

POWERS
06-28-2011, 08:02 AM

I'd think wd40 could work as long as your cleaning all the saltwater off and doing it right when your done running. As for were to apply it, itgoes on anything metal. While your cleaning do not forget to flush out the water cooling hoses and jacket, u can accomplish that easy enough by taking a mouth full of fresh water and blowing it in the outlet, and repeat a few times. If u done you will get a rusty motor!

Peacock8
06-28-2011, 10:12 AM
I bought a manual fuel pump for fuel car/boats that i use to clean out the tubes :)

Ørjan.