PDA

View Full Version : Tempurpedic, Serta Latex or Sleep Number?

Basstronics
01-29-2011, 09:26 PM
I figure theres no better place to ask this question.

Whats better- Tempurpedic, Serta Latex or Sleep Number bed?

We are looking to pick up a new bed. Curious if anyone here has any of these fancier beds? Im looking to drop some cash on a good bed, around $3K. I know theres many people here from different walks of life. For me this is a pretty large investment. So if you have any experience or comment it would be appreciated.

Tempurpedic- I like the way it feels. However Ive heard they are hot. I have to believe it. I have a memory foam pillow with a layer of stuffing over it. It gets rather hot. $3,200 and there is no return. If I buy it, its mine...

Serta Latex. I liked this one. It pushes back unlike the tempurpedic. Much cooler feeling. Only dislike is it felt kinda bouncy like a spring mattress. The model we tested only had 2.5" of latex. Theres a better one with 6" of latex. Price about $2,700

Sleep Number. I gotta say for all the hype I was severely disappointed. Many of them felt like a camping air mattress with a fancy cover. The best one was a P7 with memory foam top. The unit was $3,200... Ouch...

LarrysDrifter
01-29-2011, 10:20 PM
I say dont look around for the most expensive mattress,find the one that you and your other are most comfortable on.Dont believe any hype,just do your own testing.

raptor347
01-29-2011, 11:02 PM
We've had memory foam, after the third replacement matress we gave up on them. Turns out memory foam doesn't hold up well to big people. I'm 6'2" and was 305lb at the time.

We have a sleep number P5 that is now in our guest room. We now have low end sleep number beds in our room. We decided that we prefered to add what ever top padding we wanted. We swap between thick pillow top (winter) and thin cooler (summer) matress pads to suit the season.

Find what feels good and go with it. Being able to adjust the firmness form side to side it nice.

Rumdog
01-30-2011, 01:13 AM
I love my memory foam bed. Just over a year old. However....my wife and I are NOT "big" people.

Ub Hauled
01-30-2011, 02:46 AM
I have heard from the sales person that the foam memory ones are not good for "heavier people, it seems to be confirmed here....
we have been looking for a decent mattress for us and sleep number is the one that we liked the most...

forescott
01-30-2011, 10:00 AM
My wife and I bought the tempur-pedic bed about 3-months ago. Had the same concerns about the heat. Was primarily an issue with the older beds. We love our bed. You need to give it time to break-in the foam. Walk on it once every few days for a couple of weeks. The foam will smell funny when you open it up. No biggie, it goes away within 24 hrs. Tempur pedic has a nice 90-day warranty where you can return it "no questions asked" if your unhappy with it.

Basstronics
01-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Ya the 90 day thing was cool, but thats only the mail order. You also have to pay return shipping and I can only imagine what that runs.

We are going to investigate some more today. Im digging the latex serta bed with 6" of latex. Its all a matter on how well it feels. The company Im looking to buy from gives a 100 day guarantee on them. So after 30 days if its not working we can trade in for another bed with free return shipping and free shipping of the next bed.

forescott
01-30-2011, 11:21 AM
We bought ours from sleep train matress centers here in Ca. They are a pretty big chain, but not sure if they're in your area. I read the same about the return shipping, but we ended up exchanging ours after 35 days for a slightly softer model with no cost at all. The new bed was 600 bucks cheaper and they credited the difference to our account. Talk to the sales guy to get all the details. Good luck!

Jeff Wohlt
01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
My sleep number is 69 :w00t:

pescador
01-30-2011, 02:24 PM
We were looking for a bed a few years ago after I had some major neck surgery. My wife can get pretty warm in bed (I was going to say hot:laugh:)and we figured a memory foam bed would be like waking up on a wet sponge. We finally went with Intellibed (http://www.intellibed.com/)it's a thick layer of honeycomb gel and it stays nice and cool.
It was fairly expensive and might not be for everyone but it works great for us.

Basstronics
02-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Wanted to update in case anyone cares...

I did a ton of research and "testing" in my local market place. I would of been interested insetting out the "gel" beds but I couldnt find one.

I ended up going with a Serta made "Better Homes and Gardens" "Fern Hill" latex mattress. Theres a total of 5" of Talalay Latex in it and a 5.5" Soy based foam core.

This bed is very plush yet firm enough.

We splurged on the Talalay Latex pillows also. I made the mistake of buying the "firm" side sleeper pillow. Im a back sleeper so its not gonna work out. However when I lay on my side with that pillow, its simply awesome! A pillow that bounces right back and will never go flat!

hyrulejedi86
02-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Well congratuations on your purchase, I was gonna chime in and say we have the sleep by number which is awesome. But the camping mattress thing is definetly true on the lower models. So we got a mid-model and then got a 6" topper at Kohls for $50 on sale and it made the bed awesome!

Flying Scotsman
02-25-2011, 03:04 AM
I had to sleep on the floor for most of my maried life.

Douggie

JimClark
03-18-2011, 11:21 PM
exactly what have you added to the top of your Sleep Number Brian? Struggling with my sleepnumber to get it adjusted.

Jim

We've had memory foam, after the third replacement matress we gave up on them. Turns out memory foam doesn't hold up well to big people. I'm 6'2" and was 305lb at the time.

We have a sleep number P5 that is now in our guest room. We now have low end sleep number beds in our room. We decided that we prefered to add what ever top padding we wanted. We swap between thick pillow top (winter) and thin cooler (summer) matress pads to suit the season.

Find what feels good and go with it. Being able to adjust the firmness form side to side it nice.