PDA

View Full Version : receiver baloon

Gen
01-29-2011, 09:14 PM
do any u guys use baloons on receivers ,as receivers are the only things that seem to fail on me when i get a small amount of water in boat ,

only thing i was thinking was on a hot day condensation ,does this happen .

and for the condensation question can you leave recivers in baloons or would you re baloon after every day ??

thnx guys

m4a1usr
01-29-2011, 09:34 PM
With the advent of various water protection sprays, like corrosion x and silicone conformal coating it seems that balloons are not as popular as in the past but I for one still use that form of protection. But instead of balloons I have resorted to using the "finger tips" off nitrile or latex gloves. Much cheaper then balloons and you get at least 4 finger tips off each hand for protecting your Rx. So a pair of gloves gets you 8 envelopes to isolate your Rx. And I do use Silicone Conformal Spray as well as the ballons. Call me paranoid, whatever,.... but I have yet to lose a rx yet to water damage in the last 4 years.

I bet some of the other guys here have their method too. I'm just describing mine.

John

Eric Bourlet
01-29-2011, 09:42 PM
do any u guys use baloons on receivers ,as receivers are the only things that seem to fail on me when i get a small amount of water in boat ,

only thing i was thinking was on a hot day condensation ,does this happen .

and for the condensation question can you leave recivers in baloons or would you re baloon after every day ??

thnx guys

Never leave a RX in a balloon or for that matter in a taped up radio box. Always store it where air can get to it. I do not recommend using a balloon. Build a water proof compartment for the electronic and if they do get wet take the case off and clean with isopropyl alcohol and air dry. If you must use a balloon or condom take it out at the end of the race day.

LarrysDrifter
01-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Use a Spekrum TX and use a MR3000 reciever.This reciever is water proof.Ive had mine submerged many many times,and it always functions correctly after dumping the water from my hull.I know I can continue running and not have reciever problems.

6sHyper
01-29-2011, 10:33 PM
i use a clear plastic baggytwist it up around the wires and 2 zap straps, stays water tight, and i leave it in there, its clear so if theres any condensation you can see when its time to change the baggy and air out the rx.

iamandrew
01-30-2011, 03:32 AM
seeing that im using the $20 2 channel hobbyking 2.4ghz receiver, i just bought another 3 receivers incase mine gets wet and stops working.... a whole $5 each!

forescott
01-30-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm liking the waterproof receiver box that Kintecracing sells. Its a traxxas receiver box, but works well and I can epoxy it to the hull. Check it out. It's on their home page.

Jeff Wohlt
01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Go look up small plastic hinged boxes. Drobie (miss ya Doug!) got some a long time ago and many of us bought some. They work well.

SwampNut
01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
seeing that im using the $20 2 channel hobbyking 2.4ghz receiver
Do those bind with name-brand TX, or are you using a HK TX also? If you use another brand, which ones will it bind to?

egneg
01-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Go look up small plastic hinged boxes. Drobie (miss ya Doug!) got some a long time ago and many of us bought some. They work well.

:iagree: I have one of his boats with one and it's a great receiver box.

Jeff Wohlt
01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Very cool. I think I bought 10 of them. I would like to have an ESC box and a radio box in each boat. Just a little extra protection is nice for when the sponsons see the sky!

Karfrik
01-31-2011, 12:22 AM
:iagree: I have one of his boats with one and it's a great receiver box.

Guys what type of box are you talking about?..any pics or link to check them out?....Thanks,...Albert

Karfrik
01-31-2011, 12:24 AM
With the advent of various water protection sprays, like corrosion x and silicone conformal coating it seems that balloons are not as popular as in the past but I for one still use that form of protection. But instead of balloons I have resorted to using the "finger tips" off nitrile or latex gloves. Much cheaper then balloons and you get at least 4 finger tips off each hand for protecting your Rx. So a pair of gloves gets you 8 envelopes to isolate your Rx. And I do use Silicone Conformal Spray as well as the ballons. Call me paranoid, whatever,.... but I have yet to lose a rx yet to water damage in the last 4 years.

I bet some of the other guys here have their method too. I'm just describing mine.

John

So i just spray corrosion x into the connecting pins of my Tactic recievers?...no problems at all?.....thanks,...Al

SwampNut
01-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Correct, just spray it onto any electronic device like an ESC, RX, etc. No problem if it's on the pins, I actually use it on pins and connectors on purpose on all the toys to make them easy to remove and less likely to build up resistive oxides.

Karfrik
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok,...thanks!!!......Al

m4a1usr
01-31-2011, 03:38 PM
So i just spray corrosion x into the connecting pins of my Tactic recievers?...no problems at all?.....thanks,...Al

I actually pry apart the top and bottom plastic case of my Rx and pull out the board, then hold it by the antenna wire and spray the pc board but with servo extender cables over the connectors. I dont think the coating on the connectors could hurt anything but I have a method to protect the pins from the spray. Might be over kill but its easy enough to do. Once dry put it back in the case. Now its sealed.

I think the Rx in my H&M Excess2 has been inside the original balloon since 2006. I know I am still using the same radio and ESC. Cant imagine why I would take apart the Rx connections.

John

sailr
01-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I second that. That's exactly what I do as well.

i use a clear plastic baggytwist it up around the wires and 2 zap straps, stays water tight, and i leave it in there, its clear so if theres any condensation you can see when its time to change the baggy and air out the rx.

JimClark
01-31-2011, 05:07 PM
I use these mold boxes for casting
http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/products/images/fullsize/standard/108_molds.jpg

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=195&PHPSESSID=201101311405501697035109

egneg
01-31-2011, 06:24 PM
I actually pry apart the top and bottom plastic case of my Rx and pull out the board, then hold it by the antenna wire and spray the pc board but with servo extender cables over the connectors. I dont think the coating on the connectors could hurt anything but I have a method to protect the pins from the spray. Might be over kill but its easy enough to do. Once dry put it back in the case. Now its sealed.

John

I use the same method but with conformal spray - no need for a balloon.