PDA

View Full Version : Spartan ESC

Steven Vaccaro
01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
With all the "cool" features the Spartan ESC has, I'm wondering why people are changing the esc and the motor at the same time? Has anyone pushed the esc harder with an aftermarket motor yet?

GeoVW72
01-28-2011, 10:28 PM
:huh: I don't really see the Spartan ESC having many features, at least compared to other ESCs. You have three program modes and that's it.
I would also be interested to see how far they can be pushed, definitely keeping mine to try with different motors.

Brushless55
01-28-2011, 11:57 PM
With all the "cool" features the Spartan ESC has, I'm wondering why people are changing the esc and the motor at the same time? Has anyone pushed the esc harder with an aftermarket motor yet?

Not sure Steven? :confused2:
I think the stock esc will take some bigger and better motors with lower KVs just fine :thumbup1:

sonic77
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
2 days ago my esc caught on fire and almost burned my basement up scared the crap out of me only thing i had done was plug in my 3 s packs to it to test it on the bench I did not run it hard at all I pulled the throttle on the transmitter and then released it the motor still was running I squeezed the transmitter neat the throttle position adjustment and it would start and stop then all of a sudden I heard a loud pop and then a huge Grey cloud rose from the boat then a fire shot out of the esc I quickly disconnected the new packs and blew out the fire luckily it did not damage the hull . I removed the speed controller receiver and motor from the boat and packaged it up I sent it all back to Traxxas they had better come up with a good answer and some new parts. when I spoke with traxxas they seemed very short with me and had no answers but told me that they would test everything and replace what was bad I'm still pretty upset about the whole issue being that I still haven't been able to put the boat in the lake since all of the lakes are still frozen around here

Justin

JPriami
01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Huh. I had an issue with mine that it would keep running after I let the throttle go as well. But not at the same speed it would drop down a little and keep going.
I reset my transmitter then made sure the mode selection on the esc was set to lipo and sport mode. Its been ok ever since. It's in race mode now since I've had the boat in the water.

I have had the esc jump into LVC mode once when I knew then packs were not discharged. I unplugged everything and plugged it back up then it was ok too. Esc seems a bit hoaky to me.

Steven Vaccaro
01-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear about the other problems.

:huh: I don't really see the Spartan ESC having many features, at least compared to other ESCs. You have three program modes and that's it.
I would also be interested to see how far they can be pushed, definitely keeping mine to try with different motors.

The main feature I like is having the motor temp sensor wired to the esc. I dont know of other esc's with this feature.

I also like the training mode, it makes handing the control to a ten year old(even while standing next to him) a whole lot more enjoyable.

GeoVW72
01-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear about the other problems.

The main feature I like is having the motor temp sensor wired to the esc. I dont know of other esc's with this feature.

I also like the training mode, it makes handing the control to a ten year old(even while standing next to him) a whole lot more enjoyable.

I will agree that training mode is a nice feature, but the same result could be achieved with throttle end points.

unfortunately the motor temp sensor is wired into the receiver, hence the new receiver part number 2218X.

Steven Vaccaro
01-31-2011, 03:53 PM
I will agree that training mode is a nice feature, but the same result could be achieved with throttle end points

I hope they achieved training mode in another way. Otherwise its going to be the cause of more problems. I cant imagine the heat buildup of a 6500mah pack running for 20 minutes with the fets running at 1/2 throttle.

unfortunately the motor temp sensor is wired into the receiver, hence the new receiver part number 2218X.

Oh, I didnt know that! That stinks.

Shooter
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I was also looking forward to this ESC. Hopefully they will get these bugs worked out.

GeoVW72
02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Training mode works without issue as far as I've heard, not a big fan of the trigger setup settings though, but that's more personal preference.

Traxxas's QC has really fallen by the way side as of recent, with all their speedos, but the support is good.

LarrysDrifter
02-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Maybe we can see if Andy and Darin can look into seeing if Spektrum will make a marine RX with telemetry-mainly the temp sensor since that all the FE boater can use anyway.I know that not everyone uses Spektrum,but many do.I know the MR3000 rocks.By far the best RX Ive ever used.

Brushless55
02-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I may sell mine? :biggrin:

LarrysDrifter
02-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Sell what?

Brushless55
02-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Sell what?

Spartan esc

JPriami
02-03-2011, 11:29 PM
i dont know if i will sell mine yet. going to see how the boat does. if i still dont like it. im going back to all stock stuff and selling the whole boat. Then Hello Genesis cat

LarrysDrifter
02-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Spartan esc

Oh.Thought you meant MR3000.

Brushless55
02-03-2011, 11:36 PM
i dont know if i will sell mine yet. going to see how the boat does. if i still dont like it. im going back to all stock stuff and selling the whole boat. Then Hello Genesis cat

the whole boat! :w00t:

LarrysDrifter
02-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I thought you had a Spartan coming Brushless?

Brushless55
02-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I thought you had a Spartan coming Brushless?

I do, but for some reason I'm not sure what I'm goin to do with it? :confused2:
I have 3 other boats I want to finish first

LarrysDrifter
02-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Swap Shop it or send it back.I say get the SS45 goin.

Brushless55
02-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Swap Shop it or send it back.I say get the SS45 goin.

:rockon2:

I may just sell the motor and esc out of the Spartan and use one of my CC1520 motors in it :spy:

Diesel6401
02-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Maybe we can see if Andy and Darin can look into seeing if Spektrum will make a marine RX with telemetry-mainly the temp sensor since that all the FE boater can use anyway.I know that not everyone uses Spektrum,but many do.I know the MR3000 rocks.By far the best RX Ive ever used.

That would be AWESOME. A MR3000 or a MR200 with telemetry o man that would be sick. It's a pain in the :moon: trying to get a sr3300t to work in a boat. The antenna being so short makes it difficult to get antenna up out of the hull. I had to rework my MG to make my sr3300t work I also waterproofed it. Been going strong though.

scootmagrutes
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
I say we all join together and form a Class-Action Law Suit against Traxxas for known issues especially faulty Esc's in the Spartan, that catch fire and fry. My best friend is a high profile attorney and would be more than willing to do as we wish. My hand got burnt from the faulty esc which caught fire without any warning.

sonic77
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm up for it I don't have my esc traxxas does I received a message that my esc and motor would be replaced and shipped out this week I already ordered a castle motor and I'm looking at new esc s now but one thing is for sure I'm not putting traxxas stuff back in too scared
Justin

scootmagrutes
02-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Traxxas should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a boat that has such known faulty issues. I get it though, assemble and mass produce a boat as cheaply as possible with maximum profit margin regardless of the repercussions, how pathetic. Between youtube videos posts and after doing a google search you can certainly see the the known problems are wide-spread. Amazing how it said on the box for All Out performance add lipos...NOOOOTTTTT, you cant be serious.
It should have said on the box for an amazing FireWorks display ad Lipos or better yet just add the standard batteries already included with the boat. Unreal.

wilsta67
02-12-2011, 02:28 PM
well i can say i have pushed it and ever since i bought this boat i have had nothing but problems.
i would how ever recommend not buying this boat because it is not very wallet friendly.
here is a picture of my esc due to poor cooling
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4397/img0178zd.jpg

Brushless55
02-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Traxxas should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a boat that has such known faulty issues. I get it though, assemble and mass produce a boat as cheaply as possible with maximum profit margin regardless of the repercussions, how pathetic. Between youtube videos posts and after doing a google search you can certainly see the the known problems are wide-spread. Amazing how it said on the box for All Out performance add lipos...NOOOOTTTTT, you cant be serious.
It should have said on the box for an amazing FireWorks display ad Lipos or better yet just add the standard batteries already included with the boat. Unreal.

:lol:

Brushless55
02-12-2011, 02:31 PM
well i can say i have pushed it and ever since i bought this boat i have had nothing but problems.
i would how ever recommend not buying this boat because it is not very wallet friendly.
here is a picture of my esc due to poor cooling
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4397/img0178zd.jpg

I don't get this?
I thought traxxas put a temp sensor in the esc to shut it down when it got to hot... :confused2:

wilsta67
02-12-2011, 02:32 PM
yeah exactly say no more thats how well it works

martin
02-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I think they have well covered them selves for the cost of warranty replacments putting out a very nasty cheap boat but charging big money for it. What else could you call it when i poses a real fire risk that could potentialy cause serious burns. Its not as though lipos arnt allready potentially dangerous enough but add a possible fire ball to the equasion & it could be very serious indeed.

Brushless55
02-12-2011, 02:45 PM
this kinda sucks...
how the heck did this boat make boat of the year for 2010?

wilsta67
02-12-2011, 02:47 PM
this kinda sucks...
how the heck did this boat make boat of the year for 2010?

it did:sinking-guy::ThumbsDown01:

Brushless55
02-12-2011, 02:52 PM
it did:sinking-guy::ThumbsDown01:

yep, boat of the year durring the long delay..... :ThumbsDown01:

shctexas
02-12-2011, 02:53 PM
My motor fried due to temp sensor failure. I'm not even going to mess with Traxxas. Another name consideration "Frankenstein" because of all the mismatched mods we've gone through....just a thought.

wilsta67
02-12-2011, 03:02 PM
My motor fried due to temp sensor failure. I'm not even going to mess with Traxxas. Another name consideration "Frankenstein" because of all the mismatched mods we've gone through....just a thought.
lol i cant be bothered with them either im going to stick in a castle set up in mine and be done with it. and just get the word out that these boats are junk. i wish i wasn't in such a hurry to rush out and buy one.:doh:

mickvk
02-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't get this?
I thought traxxas put a temp sensor in the esc to shut it down when it got to hot... :confused2:

I checked the manual, you're right there is thermal protection on the esc in addition to the motor.

Brushless55
02-14-2011, 12:03 AM
I checked the manual, you're right there is thermal protection on the esc in addition to the motor.

that's what I was thinking bro! :beerchug:

scootmagrutes
02-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Warranty Replacements for the Traxxas Spartan...You cant be serious. Regardless of the replacements of the stock parts the boat cant handle the capacity, especially if you intend to use lipos. I'll repeat again, they manufactured a boat as cheaply as possible for MAXIMUM profit margin regardless of the circumstances.

Bottom Line...Anyone who purchases this boat is at risk. The Esc went up in smoke without warning and burnt my hand.

mickvk
02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Such Garbage the Spartan is, just look at all the people having problems with the Spartan and having to upgrade it to try and make it work correctly, thats so very sad.
To upgrade it like most people are doing it will cost you well over $500. SO be ready, if you are going to purchase the Spartan to pay $400 for the boat, than another $250+ plus for lipos and Then.....Dump another $325+ into it to upgrade it to try and get it to work correctly.

READ BELOW.......

I sent my boat in well over 2 weeks ago because not only did the esc fry up, but it destroyed my batteries as well and it burnt up my boat. I still have not heard from Traxxas nor have I received a replacement boat as of yet. Just imagine how many other people have just taken the hit and not even posted their problems with the Spartan on the internet.
Buyers Beware

Scoot, I'm sorry you're so frustrated. What were the circumstances of your ESC failing?

martin
02-15-2011, 10:11 AM
How on earth did this piece of junk get The Boat of the year award, Not sure on whether its down to purly a mag giving this award but they must eccept some responsability if this was the case on potential sales of this boat. We heard enough about this boat before its release through mags on how good it was i suspect we wont hear any negatives about this boat from them even though their catching fire. They dont wont to upset their pay masters by loosing advertising money. If this wasnt a model boat & some sort of house hold item i suspect it would be with drawn immediatelly & no more sold untill its proven safe to use.

scootmagrutes
02-15-2011, 10:34 AM
mickvk asked about the circumstances of the esc failing.

How about at there were No initial warnings from the esc or the receiver that the esc was about to catch fire as well as sending a sudden pulse to my batteries which sent them up in smoke as well. I followed the instruction booklet that came with it word-for-word and look what happened. It sickens me that I see all these videos on youtube and on google of people having to pull out the stock components and upgrade the motor, esc, rudder and tubeing just to get the boat to work correctly without frying the esc or overheating the motor.
Shame on Traxxas for not thinking this project through and for not testing the boat thoroughly.

My heart goes out to all those Spartan owners who are dealing with this bull*!***!***!***!** like I am.

Im 40 and have been in RC since I was 13 and this is by far the worst heart wrenching experience I've had to this date.

Boat was sent back well over 2 weeks ago and they have not contacted me as of yet.

All my components were stock, the only thing I purchased additionally was 3S 3400mah lipos from a local hobby shop that recommended them. The batteries are Racers Edge which are well known batteries used in a wide range of rc vehicles.

sonic77
02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Spoke with Traxxas today and they said my esc and motor were replaced but my transmitter checked out fine hmm? So I asked how I could be assured this will not happen again? they said they had heard claims of the issue but hadn't received many in so they have not updated the parts I don't think its going back in my boat I just received my castle motor today I plan on selling the other stuff when it comes back anyone else here back from Traxxas yet they didn't seem too helpful when I called
Justin

scootmagrutes
02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
There not helpful, they only tell you what you want to here, NOT the Facts. You can be reassured that they are inundated with with problems with the Spartan. Just do google searches or checkout actual video footage on youtube. I already had replaced the esc and it went up in smoke. Sad but true.

sonic77
02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
so what are you putting in the boat now I am putting i a castle 1520 and a turnigy 180 esc
Justin

ray schrauwen
02-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Well, I hate to say... o.k. maybe not hate but, I have to say i told you so.

Waaaay back when they were first promoting this boat, I warned people.

Sometimes it's good to listen to those that have been doing this for 20+ years now.

You can't expect too much from a plastic boat with an XL 2 pole motor, it just isn't enough.

I offered my technical experience to Thunder Tiger and they basically told me to F- off.

How many people own a TT OBL ????? I think they may have sold about 200 of them, if that.

This boat was only a hair better, I won't say which hair ;) .

martin
02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Thunder Tiger have just launched a new cat artr in the UK, Its 46" long with a 60esc & OBL motor whatever that is. Wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.

ray schrauwen
02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Thunder Tiger have just launched a new cat artr in the UK, Its 46" long with a 60esc & OBL motor whatever that is. Wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.

NO WAY, you are joking right? Holy Carp, who is in their Tech Dept ? Smoke on the Water! :flashfire::flame42::nopity:

:sinking-guy:

ray schrauwen
02-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Well, I just took a look at it and well, same old, same old...

It says in the instruction booklet that it was developed in co-operation with hydro world champion Jorgen Anderson.

They did put a larger motor in this than the mono, that was a 36mm outrunner. This one has a 43mm outrunner but, still only a 60 amp Seaking esc....:thumbsdown:

Runs on 4s1p and instructions say MAY reach 30 mph.

Uses captive Asian style square drive flex shaft that forces you to remove the strut each time, errr, or as it says only every 5 runs :w00t::eek:

martin
02-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Its kinda funny i thought it has an apt name, Desperado Offshore Racer. They have a video of it running. Looks slow. Martin.

bigcam406
02-16-2011, 05:40 AM
makes ya wonder why Tim Roberts,the boats so called designer,doesnt work for Traxxas anymore.he bailed awhile ago even before the boat was re-re-released.

mickvk
02-16-2011, 09:53 AM
mickvk asked about the circumstances of the esc failing.

How about at there were No initial warnings from the esc or the receiver that the esc was about to catch fire as well as sending a sudden pulse to my batteries which sent them up in smoke as well. I followed the instruction booklet that came with it word-for-word and look what happened. It sickens me that I see all these videos on youtube and on google of people having to pull out the stock components and upgrade the motor, esc, rudder and tubeing just to get the boat to work correctly without frying the esc or overheating the motor.
Shame on Traxxas for not thinking this project through and for not testing the boat thoroughly.

My heart goes out to all those Spartan owners who are dealing with this bull*!***!***!***!** like I am.

Im 40 and have been in RC since I was 13 and this is by far the worst heart wrenching experience I've had to this date.

Boat was sent back well over 2 weeks ago and they have not contacted me as of yet.

All my components were stock, the only thing I purchased additionally was 3S 3400mah lipos from a local hobby shop that recommended them. The batteries are Racers Edge which are well known batteries used in a wide range of rc vehicles.

I guess my question was too vague:

How many minutes were a typical run for you?
What were the motor, esc, and battery temps?
How many amps went back into your packs?
Where you running loose or tight?
What speeds were you getting typically?
How many runs do you have on this setup?
At what point during the run did the failure happen?
Have you measure your amp draw or ripple? The packs you ran did not meet the mAh requirements in the manual.

Brushless55
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I guess my question was too vague:

How many minutes were a typical run for you?
What were the motor, esc, and battery temps?
How many amps went back into your packs?
Where you running loose or tight?
What speeds were you getting typically?
How many runs do you have on this setup?
At what point during the run did the failure happen?
Have you measure your amp draw or ripple? The packs you ran did not meet the mAh requirements in the manual.

do you relize the stock packs are 3000mah? :doh:
reason they say bigger is for the runtimes!

Brushless55
02-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Well, I hate to say... o.k. maybe not hate but, I have to say i told you so.

Waaaay back when they were first promoting this boat, I warned people.

Sometimes it's good to listen to those that have been doing this for 20+ years now.

You can't expect too much from a plastic boat with an XL 2 pole motor, it just isn't enough.

I offered my technical experience to Thunder Tiger and they basically told me to F- off.

How many people own a TT OBL ????? I think they may have sold about 200 of them, if that.

This boat was only a hair better, I won't say which hair ;) .

one is me, but I replaced the 60amp esc (for sale by the way) for a T180 and the stock motor for a CC1717 :banana:

ray schrauwen
02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
one is me, but I replaced the 60amp esc (for sale by the way) for a T180 and the stock motor for a CC1717 :banana:

Now yer Talkin' !!!:buttrock:

Brushless55
02-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Now yer Talkin' !!!:buttrock:

Heck ya Ray!
this is the mount with one of my CC1717 motors ready to go into the OBL:beerchug:
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/011-6.jpg

ray schrauwen
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Sweet! Is that Green hull, if you have aa green one.. is it 39" long, hull only?

I wanted that hull, just hull only but, could not get one.

Great for Q mono! That motor should rock & roll.

Back to the thread.... what was the topic?

Ohhh yeah, the Spartan.....

mickvk
02-16-2011, 03:41 PM
do you relize the stock packs are 3000mah? :doh:
reason they say bigger is for the runtimes!

Of course I did but run time is not in fact the only that mAh capacity affects. When the mAh rating is low, voltage sag and ripple increases especially at higher loads such as a 6S setup resulting in increased chances of an ESC failure... And it's a reason that an ESC could fail electronically without overheating....

Brushless55
02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Of course I did but run time is not in fact the only that mAh capacity affects. When the mAh rating is low, voltage sag and ripple increases especially at higher loads such as a 6S setup resulting in increased chances of an ESC failure... And it's a reason that an ESC could fail electronically without overheating....

so the spartan comes with 3000mah packs
these packs only put out 30amps cont
people are running the stock packs and having issues and some don't, some are running 5000mah packs and having more issues, and some even are running 6500mah packs with issues still :ThumbsDown01:
the so called ripple is not what is causing the issue here

Brushless55
02-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Sweet! Is that Green hull, if you have aa green one.. is it 39" long, hull only?

I wanted that hull, just hull only but, could not get one.

Great for Q mono! That motor should rock & roll.

Back to the thread.... what was the topic?

Ohhh yeah, the Spartan.....

that's the one bro!
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/014-6.jpg

Make-a-Wake
02-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Wow Brushless..............That is one good lookin boat there! Big ol' wide thing too! So 1717 going into it? I feel a 60 mph boat coming...................:buttrock:

Brushless55
02-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Wow Brushless..............That is one good lookin boat there! Big ol' wide thing too! So 1717 going into it? I feel a 60 mph boat coming...................:buttrock:

Hell yeah bro! :beerchug:

dag-nabit
02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
That is a nice looking boat.

Be sure to post some vids of it once you get it running.

Kevin

Brushless55
02-16-2011, 07:55 PM
That is a nice looking boat.

Be sure to post some vids of it once you get it running.

Kevin

Will do bro :thumbup1:
I had Peter make the mount for me, and now I need to make the rails deeper to fit better

Make-a-Wake
02-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Oh, BTW Brushless, speaking of 39 inchers with 1717's.......................i hit 59.4 on Sunday in my Vader mono with the x450! A little windy/wavy, so on glass i'm bankin' on 60..........we'll see in the next day or two..................obligitory vid will be provided of course............:thumbup:

You may be a little more ballsy than me and throw a larger prop on yours.............:Peace_Sign:

Brushless55
02-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh, BTW Brushless, speaking of 39 inchers with 1717's.......................i hit 59.4 on Sunday in my Vader mono with the x450! A little windy/wavy, so on glass i'm bankin' on 60..........we'll see in the next day or two..................obligitory vid will be provided of course............:thumbup:

You may be a little more ballsy than me and throw a larger prop on yours.............:Peace_Sign:

Oh, I've been following your build bro :beerchug:
I'm going to start with a X450 to get a feel for this boat then a X452/3 that I have lying aroung and I have a V955/3 that looks wicked but it kinda looks like a lifter prop..?
if it is a lifter I will use that for my PT SS45 that I'm using a CC1717 on 6s in that one to
should be sick! :rockon2:

ray schrauwen
02-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Wow, glad I bought a 1717... biggin' props!

Make-a-Wake
02-16-2011, 11:27 PM

Yep.............i was a bit leery of what to run with a "highish for 6s" motor.............went 445-447-450................ The 1717 has some balls for sure.................my "timid" approach was due to being somewhat of a guinea pig with the 1717 on a big mono. Dont think anyone had one in a big mono when i started mine........... Its all good:thumbup1:

Brushless55
02-17-2011, 12:36 AM

I think I have 4 of them and 2 air motors

chummer
03-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Any pics? :rockon2:

Did you use the stock mount? How well does it support that 1717?

Brushless55
03-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Any pics? :rockon2:

Did you use the stock mount? How well does it support that 1717?

I think I'm going to stick with a CC1520 and run upto 8s on mine with a HV esc :buttrock: