PDA

View Full Version : Bec

CharlieBucket
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
This is my 2nd year with this boat, and the first year has been extremely fun. I bought this boat used and there had already been some upgrades made.
Here is the short list of what was done.

Kevlar the inside of the hull
UL-1 motor
Traxxas Servo
Trim Tabs w/ water pickup (cooling ESC) Rudder is cooling the motor.
60 amp ESC
42X55 prop or L45X68
(2) 2S Lipo 5000 mAh
Lipo Shield

There have been some other changes done to it, but this is the majors.

I am going to 5s soon, and potentially 6s here this summer. The local RC shop owner told me that I am pushing the limit of this set up, and said that a BEC will be needed to power the Servo and Reciever. I am looking for anyone who has experience with these...tips, comments or anything that could be useful.

Fluid
01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Few ESCs can adequately run the radio/servo with more than 4S power. It is best to disconnect the red wire on the ESC plug and use a receiver battery pack. The extra weight will not hurt a thing, just use a 5-cell pack with a minimum of 1200 mAH NiMH cells. These are available on eBay etc. for under $20. You can get an auxillary BEC; I have used them but prefer a battery pack or an ESC that can accomodate up to 8S. The Castle ICE controllers seem to work great at 6S without a BEC.

CharlieBucket
01-27-2011, 03:32 PM
I am checking out what Kintec has since I've gone through them before, and Jan is extremely helpful there. They have a couple that I'm curious about. The Castle BEC eliminates the need for an external battery pack. What about this Sport BEC? Does this work the same way? What are the pro/cons of going with something like this.

I'd like to stay away from putting another battery in this thing. I'm trying to keep with the (kiss) method. Keep it simple stupid.

http://www.kintecracing.com/Electrical.html

Diesel6401
01-27-2011, 03:38 PM
What 60amp esc are you using? Curious to why you would be running a Lipo shield as well. I disconnect the bec on every esc I run over 4s, it is not worth attempting in my eyes, also if you want to run 5s/6s the UL1 motor is not the right choice for anything other the 4s. Anything higher your asking for problems also your gonna need to change those deans plugs out and the L45x68 should not be used on this boat. That is a lifter prop for hydros/riggers. Trying that prop on a mono the boat will do nothing but cavitate. The 42x55 is a great prop for that boat and the ul1 motor really like it. I ran ul1 power in my sv with that prop and had great success. Video on my youtube page.

Diesel6401
01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Using a rx pack is the simpest and easiest way plus you can remove it from the boat easy and use in another boat. that sport bec will have to be soldered in. Not easily removed, plus takes power away from the system. I use both, but like the rc packs better Jan is the man.

CharlieBucket
01-27-2011, 03:52 PM
This boat started life as a plain 'ol SV27 with a 45 amp ESC, which is where the lipo shield came in. I picked up an Aquacraft 60 amp with a larger capacitor. (about the size of a pen cap). I don't have a model number in front of me.
The lifter prop has never been on the boat, and I just picked up the 42X55, which also has never seen water. This one is in the process of being balanced and sharpened. The guy I bought this boat from had a 40X52 on it, and didn't seem to get much top end speed out of it. Still a quick boat on 4s, but not where I thought it should be.

Diesel6401
01-27-2011, 03:58 PM
This boat started life as a plain 'ol SV27 with a 45 amp ESC, which is where the lipo shield came in. I picked up an Aquacraft 60 amp with a larger capacitor. (about the size of a pen cap). I don't have a model number in front of me.
The lifter prop has never been on the boat, and I just picked up the 42X55, which also has never seen water. This one is in the process of being balanced and sharpened. The guy I bought this boat from had a 40X52 on it, and didn't seem to get much top end speed out of it. Still a quick boat on 4s, but not where I thought it should be.

The 60amp aquacraft esc is a UL1 esc good esc's. Don't run on 5s and 6s will be Poof very quickly. That esc is not rated for those high voltages. It was designed for 4s use. The 42x55 will work best, puts the boat high 40s with the setup and the boat likes it. Once these SVs get into the 50s, bad things start to happen. Trust me on that one. I was running low 50s in mine pushed it just a little bit more and the boat has been on the shelf since needing repairs. If you want to run 50s and good, you will ned a different hull. Just my thoughts...

CharlieBucket
01-27-2011, 04:24 PM
I've seen 2 different 60 amp ESC's that aquacraft makes. The difference being the capacitor. 35v1500uf, and 25v 680uf.
I tried to post pictures, but am still pretty new at this.

Diesel6401
01-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I've seen 2 different 60 amp ESC's that aquacraft makes. The difference being the capacitor. 35v1500uf, and 25v 680uf.
I tried to post pictures, but am still pretty new at this.

Yes that is correct they are both ul1 specs esc though. The small cap came with the 1st & 2nd gen ul1 and the large cap with the new gen ul1s. It will also be used in the new cat. That was aquacraft answer to the buring of the caps the old verison would get on 4s. A lot of us just solderd new caps to our old esc's I did. I know I wouldn't run that esc at 5s or 6s, i know what the result is going to be and the result doesn't out way the consequence in my mind. That's just me. Not trying to give you a hard time, just know your knocking on the door of :flame42:

CharlieBucket
01-27-2011, 04:31 PM
I appreciate the help for sure. I was going to plug a 2s and 3s battery into this thing and hammer it. Glad I posted about a BEC, because the last thing I want to see is this thing torched.
Anything else comes up, I'll for sure write a post!

Diesel6401
01-27-2011, 04:40 PM
I appreciate the help for sure. I was going to plug a 2s and 3s battery into this thing and hammer it. Glad I posted about a BEC, because the last thing I want to see is this thing torched.
Anything else comes up, I'll for sure write a post!

Yea you don't want to burn those out they are nice. Yup those are 2 in the same just larger cap is only difference. The new UL1's come with them and the new cat will have this esc and the sv27r gold can motor which is the same as the ul1 motor but a lower kv and should be wicked. The nice part about Aquacraft is the listen to their customers. The first gen ul1 had leaking water jackets and a very weak turn fin area, 2nd gen they fixed both of those but after time the caps were found to start buring out so for the third gen they upgraded the cap on the esc and got all the issues fixed and now have one bad a$$ hydro.

CharlieBucket
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks again for the help today!

What's the story on the new Cat? I've seen a couple posts touching on it a little...are there pictures or specs? I saw Grimracer posted something about it not being a 'p*ssy' boat. Any pictures, specs, anything like that?

Diesel6401
01-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks again for the help today!

What's the story on the new Cat? I've seen a couple posts touching on it a little...are there pictures or specs? I saw Grimracer posted something about it not being a 'p*ssy' boat. Any pictures, specs, anything like that?

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=15670