PDA

View Full Version : Darin's 30's Vintage Craftsman/Atlas 6" Lathe Resto

Darin Jordan
01-26-2011, 01:05 AM
I got this lathe from my Grandfather after he passed. It used to belong to my GREAT Grandfather, and was made in the late 30's. It's been sitting in my garage for the past two years, and I FINALLY got around to cleaning it up and getting it working again over the Christmas break here (I had 2 weeks off at Christmas).

Disassembled it, cleaned it all up with thinner, then oiled it all down and got is all setup again.

Installed a new cross feed nut, and just purchased a new chuck, and some other bits and pieces to have everything I would need to fully utilize this amazing piece of equipment. The last picture shows my new 3-Jaw self-adjusting 4" chuck, and new Live Center in the tailstock. Also got two drill chucks for the tailstock, and have a larger chuck, and ER25 collet set, coming for the headstock. Oh, and a set of new carbide bits.

Everytime I use it, I can feel my Grandparents around me. Can't help but think that my Grandad and Great Grandad must be smiling when they see it in use.

Ub Hauled
01-26-2011, 02:04 AM
nice Darin, it seems to be in great condition!
Good job "restoring" it...

Darin Jordan
01-26-2011, 07:10 AM
nice Darin, it seems to be in great condition!
Good job "restoring" it...

Thanks... I made a point when I started to resist the urge to truely "restore" this. I wanted to just leave the original, used looking finish on it, but just clean it up and get it fully functional. Kind of like picking up where the Grandads left off. :thumbup:

AlanN
01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Very nice Darin. If you are ever in Cleveland call me and I'll give you a tour of the 1950-60's. Most of my shop equipment is vintage. I really like that lathe! Easy access to the gears to boot.

T.C.
01-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Nice :thumbup1:
T.C.