PDA

View Full Version : Lipo Set up

showstoppercat
12-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Hello everyone - Question - when converting SV stock to running with a Lipo set up - is it a matter of just connecting lipo batteries or are there other things that need to be done????

ReddyWatts
12-19-2007, 07:48 PM
You will need to program your controller for lipos.

mr.mauian
12-19-2007, 09:04 PM
I have never reprogrammed the stock esc for lipos and I still have a esc and sv thats over 3 years old running Lipos and NIMH in the same day. {Not trying to cause any negativity or anything Reddy}

ReddyWatts
12-19-2007, 09:13 PM
That is good information. I thought you needed to change all controllers for the battery type used. What do you use for a voltage cutoff?

Bill-SOCAL
12-19-2007, 09:38 PM
The SV ESC reads the pack voltage when you plug it in. It then calculates the LVC based on that 67% of that number.

So if you plug in a fresh off the charger LiPo at 16.8 volts (4.2 volts per cell) it will calculate a LVC of 11.26 volts, which is 2.814 volts per cell. Since the packs are under load, which depresses the voltage, the pack will rebound a bit and likely be above the 3 volt per cell lower limit for Lipos.

All I do is keep track of things and come in when the boat shows signs of slowing.

Steven Vaccaro
12-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Although I cant recommend running without a low voltage cutoff, I do. I time my runs and make sure I'm not close to running down all the mah in the packs.

showstoppercat
12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
So it's as simple as a battery change is all i have to do then (monitor for reduction of speed) I thought there was more involved to it

mr.mauian
12-20-2007, 01:44 AM
So it's as simple as a battery change is all i have to do then (monitor for reduction of speed) I thought there was more involved to it

running a cutoff is good as mentioned but I never do. just watch the drop off or like I do just run like you would when racing which usually is about a minute or less...i think, or use nimh for fun and lipos for racing. Always check your temps on everything and probably not a wise idea to run back to back packs for things might be to warm. Cool down a bit, have a beer or smoke or soda then run again with your new packs. I take about 5 boats with me to the pond, run 1 then switch to another. I also run a cold bottle of water thru the cooling system when done with a run if its a bit too warm. I live in Hawaii so things get warmer here faster.

showstoppercat
12-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks everyone for info - Now i would like some help on how do i choose correct lipo batt's to run with the stock motor - (I read you can have a single pack or run twins) if I run with a single lipo what batt do I correct choose?
And if I run twin packs what pack do choose then?
Sorry fellas if this sounds like stupid q's - but all these numbers cells kv's is starting to confuse me. I would just like a list of a few combinations of lipo battery packs that i can purchase and run with confidence + peace of mind - LHS in Aust dont do alot of FE boats so they are vmost of the time guessing. Please make this easy for a RC newbie. thanks you

mr.mauian
12-21-2007, 04:10 PM
There are 14.8 lipos available so you can run just 1 pack. or get 2 7.4 packs and run them together in series giveng you 14 + volts. You also can run 7 cell nimh (2 of them) but that would be the limit in volts.

mr.mauian
12-21-2007, 04:12 PM
oh and mah is literally up to you but keep it above 3300 mah. Look at max amps site and view like the emaxx packs to get an idea of what types are used and can be used in your boat. whats used in a emaxx can be used in a sv.

showstoppercat
12-22-2007, 09:51 AM
thanx again - but how do you program your CONTROLER? for lipos - do you mean Charger or stock ESC? Also haven't seen any 14.4 only 14.8 is this still ok you?