PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Rotation Servo

Cutch
01-22-2011, 01:09 PM
I have just modified a Tower Pro MG945 servo for continuous rotation. Removed the gearing stop and pulled the pot out of the geartrain so that it can't feedback.
I found that the pot adjustment to get it to stop when the stick is in neutral, is very touchy. I get it set, run the servo in both directions just fine, but it sits jumping in one direction or other. If I flick the stick a couple times, the servo stops jumping for a few seconds and slowly starts to move. Is this a Tx/Rx problem? Does anyone know a fix? The only way I can guarantee that it stays stopped is to cut the power from the receiver. (Skysport 4 Tx/Rx) Thanks.

Rottenbelly
01-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I had the same problem when I did one and I was using futaba radio. I ended up ordering a nice hitec from servo city. They have it as a option on some servos and a few for that actual application.:thumbup1:

lsone
01-23-2011, 02:18 AM
Here you go guys. We use this in the crawler world for a tough, no drift(what you are fighting currently) operation of a winch servo. The member is great, I run his no drift controller along with many other guys. This is the only way to link to him.

http://www.crawlcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9072&highlight=winch+controller

properchopper
01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Glad you brought this up. I'm experiencing the same problem using various [ EXI & Turnigy] digital coreless servos only with my Futaba 3 PM radio; twitching on-center. I read about some of these servos not being compatible with Fut systems in the description section of some Hobby King servos. I'm hoping to find a solution ! :popcorn2:

Cutch
01-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the help Rottenbelly. What Hitech did you get?

Cutch
01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the help Izone. This guy has a lot of neat stuff.

Cutch
01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know of a switch that could run on a spare output to cut power to a servo when not in use?

CornelP
01-23-2011, 01:23 PM
When you modify a servo for continuous rotation, there are a couple of things you should do to avoid what you are experiencing. Easiest solution is to remove the pot completely and replace it with a couple of fixed resistors, but these have to be very good quality... I got about 5-10 of them and measured a pair to very close values.
The original pots are quite low quality, the carbon layer is very narrow, hence very sensitive. So another solution is to change it with a larger one or, as I did on a scale boat, replace with two good quality trimmers.

Rottenbelly
01-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the help Rottenbelly. What Hitech did you get?

I ended up getting a 645 in continuous rotation. It was 20 more bucks but was worth it. I used it as a winch on a crawler i had. was nice and strong.:thumbup1:

Rottenbelly
01-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know of a switch that could run on a spare output to cut power to a servo when not in use?

I am not sure how it would work with cutting off a servo, but i use these to turn my lights on and off with a spare channel.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8833

Cutch
01-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks ComeIP
I didn't know if you could get resistors identical enough. Do you connect both to where the centre of the pot used to be? Saw one guy using 2.4k. Sound right?

CornelP
01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Correct, you are just cheating the electronics, simulating 50% travel. The 2.4 is what most people recommend. I used different values because I had them on stock :p
See this article:
http://www.acroname.com/robotics/info/ideas/continuous/continuous.html

Cutch
01-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Sure looks like it would work. Using a continuous rotation servo to run a fishing reel. I'd like to shut it off to guarantee that I don't accidentally run it when I'm doing other things.
Thanks

Cutch
01-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Has anyone used the Turnigy switch to control the power lead on a servo?

Cutch
02-22-2011, 11:49 PM
FYI guys. I got a Turnigy switch, hooked it in the power (red) to the servo and it works great.
Thanks Rottenbelly