PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Issues with the New Traxxas Spartan

djmaincheese
01-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Seems like everyone who has the Spartan is having high motor temp issues after about 4-5 minutes of run time on 6S Lipo's. The ESC and Batteries barely get warm but the motor, well thats a different story.
4S is not a problem on these boats if you only want to do 30mph:ThumbsDown01:

My question is what is a more effective way to keep the motor temps down. If I change to an aluminum water cooling jacket would that possibly help, or do you prefer the thin aluminum coil tubing wrapped over the whole motor.
Any input would be greatly appreciated:thumbup:

Make-a-Wake
01-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Seems like everyone who has the Spartan is having high motor temp issues after about 4-5 minutes of run time on 6S Lipo's. The ESC and Batteries barely get warm but the motor, well thats a different story.
4S is not a problem on these boats if you only want to do 30mph:ThumbsDown01:

My question is what is a more effective way to keep the motor temps down. If I change to an aluminum water cooling jacket would that possibly help, or do you prefer the thin aluminum coil tubing wrapped over the whole motor.
Any input would be greatly appreciated:thumbup:

Get a new motor............... Leopard makes a 36 x 74 4 pole for 50 bucks, or you could get the Ammo 36 x 88.

djmaincheese
01-18-2011, 12:54 AM
And just use the stock ESC with it? Do you possibly have a link for the motor you are referring too? Traxxas recommends a 1600-1800kv motor. Thanks

GeoVW72
01-18-2011, 01:36 AM
I have read the traxxas forum. I can find no mention of how the boats are run or if they are maintained properly. The flex-shaft and strut bearing have to be lubricated at the start of each session.

I do not think that the statement of the esc being warm is accurate. It is shrouded in plastic and sealed in epoxy, the only true way to find the temp is to remove the plastic cover and check the heat-sink directly.

An aluminum water jacket (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-mjacket-XL) may help, as it has more surface area than tubing.

All the videos we have found of the boats show an unusual amout of running at partial throttle, the esc generates a lot of heat under these conditions with minimal cooling flow.

I also believe that there may be some inconsistencies in the thermal resistors that traxxas is using that cause the receiver to thermal-shutdown, assuming that the receiver is shutting down and not the esc.

djmaincheese
01-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Hey Geo
I grease everything after each run.
Yeah its definitely the receiver that is shutting the boat down to 50%. The Reciver is flashing red like crazy which according to Traxxas is Thermal Protection but the ESC has a Solid green light, which is good.
I may try an aluminum jacket and see if that help before I send anything back but I think a better, cooler running motor is in the books in the near future.
Here is a picture of the ESC, I don't really want to have the open the case to check the temps inside the ESC
Probably a stupid question but Can the thermal resistors be adjusted/calibrated or do they have to be replaced?

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv259/djmeintjes/3385_VXL-6s-Marine-NoWires_med.jpg

Thanks for your time

Make-a-Wake
01-18-2011, 08:10 AM
If it were my boat i'd go less kv and up the prop a tad. This is one of the Leopard 4 polers, more powerful as well as more efficient. Your stock ESC should be able to handle this motor...............isnt it around 80-100a rated? Run this on 6s.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/96m811-3674--1300kv.html

steveo
01-18-2011, 08:53 AM
are the escs 4 pole for the spartan

Rumdog
01-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Your untimes are too long. 4-5 minutes from what I'm presuming is 6s1p.. Cut the runtime down and check temps throughout the run. The REAL problem is a 540xl can in a 36" mono. It just isn't quite enough.

T.S.Davis
01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I don't own a boat I run longer than 4:20

djmaincheese
01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Im running 2 x 3S2P Batteries 6400mah. I put the boat into training mode 50% power and I went non stop for 25 minutes and 3/4 of the time I was at full throttle.
After 4 minutes in Race mode the motor just gets too hot and the receiver cuts the power in half.
There is a temp sensor installed on the can at the very front of the motor.
I don't mind getting the short run times just so long as it's not the motor thats doing it.

Whats the consensus for motor choice in your mono hulls of this size?
That leopard looks perfect for this boat and worst case it's only $50

Hey steveo, not sure if the ESC is 4 pole, I will call Traxas and find out.

Steven Vaccaro
01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
I have to say with all the high mah packs out there, 4 minutes of "playing" runtime doesn't cut it!!! This boat should have been stress tested at a minimum of 10 minutes.

jac4412
01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
cheese, the issue here is that the stock bare minimum setup they want you to run is 4s... and it appears to run fine on it.. what 30-35 mph? Jumping up to 6s on a RTR boat is a biggg jump, thats a significant amount of change on the esc and the motor especially. I also would take the KV down a bit to keep the motor happy, especially if you want 5 min runtimes.

yurkanip
01-18-2011, 10:43 AM
agreed, the stock motor a 540xl which is a 2 pole is just too small, period for a 36" mono. They draw much more amps than a cat or hydro. go to a neu, or leopard 4074... 4 pole.

Brushless55
01-18-2011, 11:04 AM
If it were my boat i'd go less kv and up the prop a tad. This is one of the Leopard 4 polers, more powerful as well as more efficient. Your stock ESC should be able to handle this motor...............isnt it around 80-100a rated? Run this on 6s.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/96m811-3674--1300kv.html

That would be a perfect contender in this hull :buttrock:
sweet spot kv

Darin Jordan
01-18-2011, 12:17 PM
........ :popcorn2:

Brushless55
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
........ :popcorn2:

Any thoughts on this Darin?

Darin Jordan
01-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Any thoughts on this Darin?

Nothing that hasn't already been considered or said before. :cool:

T.S.Davis
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Darin.....ya coward. haha

A 4 minute Q mono that runs 50 right out of the box and doesn't burst into flames? Sounds like a perfect setup.

Any longer than that is unrealistic for an electric boat IMO. Especially one that's been marketed as ready to race. That's just me though.

How hot is hot? Do you have temps or is the speedo thermalling and dialing down the power? It could be that it's the voltage cut off after 4 minutes. My kids Slash drops the power when the voltage gets too low. If I run any of my Q sprint boats for 4 minutes they'll go thermal nuclear.

Diesel6401
01-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Your untimes are too long. 4-5 minutes from what I'm presuming is 6s1p.. Cut the runtime down and check temps throughout the run. The REAL problem is a 540xl can in a 36" mono. It just isn't quite enough.

:iagree:

Doesn't Traxxas have a deal with CC, like they did with their e-revo's... They should have stuck a 1518 or 1520 in the hull from the beginning. Could have worked a deal with CC before they started the super discount deal to get rid of all the 1518's or 1520's. Just a thought. The plastic hull prob wouldn't have survived those motors though :Sinking:

JimClark
01-18-2011, 04:34 PM
:rofl::spy:

Alexgar
01-18-2011, 05:08 PM
to small and not eff motor

Grimracer
01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
:popcorn2:

Jeff Wohlt
01-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Many times, running higher speeds mean less drag and better efficiency.

LarrysDrifter
01-18-2011, 06:16 PM
I love the 40 x 82 1500 Leopard motor.I have 2 of them.One was in my 37" cat and the other in a 33" DF copy.Both boats ran awesome on 6s with way more than 5 minutes of runtime.I know a 33 isnt a 36,but 3" shouldnt matter that much with an efficient motor.This motor has my vote for the Traxxas boat.

Rumdog
01-18-2011, 06:48 PM
But, then youre up to $500.00 for a cheesy plastic boat..

LarrysDrifter
01-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Yep.I wouldnt do it either.Run the toy boat on the batteries it comes with and get an FG hull for speed and the build it your self experience.

LarrysDrifter
01-18-2011, 06:53 PM
And Im a Fast Electric Adict now too!Previous post brought me to 1,000.

Doug Smock
01-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Are you running the stock plastic prop? Is the boat running wet? Any video?
While I agree the motor is a bit small for a mono that size you can probably land on a prop that will make it happy.
Doug

djmaincheese
01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey Doug
Yeah still running the stock prop 42mm X 59mm. What do you mean by "wet" Water in the hull?

I only have some short clips of it running in training mode, I will try get a video from full charge to thermal shutdown and we will see how long she lasts. I may unplug the heat sensor from the rx and use a temp gun to get an actual reading!

What about a more efficient aluminum cooling jacket or that aluminum tubing that wraps around the motor. I don't think the rubber jacket they supplied does a good job of keeping it cool.
I guess it's just going to take a bit for some real world testing with different props, batteries and possibly motors to get this thing running great.

Doug Smock
01-18-2011, 08:29 PM
By "running wet" I mean does the boat have a lot of wetted surface? The wetter the hull runs the higher your motor temps will be. A free running boat will be faster and run cooler. I'd wait on the water jacket for now. Have you verified that the water cooling is working?
We'd be interested in seeing some video of the boat running full speed back and forth in a straight line. Some transom pics would help too.
Try not to run it till it thermals.
Doug

forescott
01-19-2011, 12:10 AM
I'd try propping down to a 40mm prop and get a larger xl-sized cooling can that covers the entire length of that motor.

GeoVW72
01-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Poping the esc apart is not difficult, there's just a few tabs and then the heat sink is accessible and still able to be installed in the boat as far as I can tell.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_nneVYSYZjrY/TS0jxCqg-OI/AAAAAAAAAEA/rlQqobDfx_c/s288/IMG_20110111_153330.jpg
As far as the thermal resistor, I don't think there could be much done without knowing more about when the receiver decides to cut off, temp wise. I suppose knowing the stock cut off temp and the resistance of the stock resistor at temp, a resistor could be added to "fix" it. I was citing it more as a manufacturing tolerance that could have been overlooked, a replacement would be better.

The purpose of a water jacket is to get water in contact with the motor. A jacket will allow water to contact more of the surface area of the motor than tubing. Perhaps the problem with the stock jacket is that it forces water to travel around the motor rather than allowing free-flow like a standard jacket. :unsure:

I also noticed that the motor I have has no end play. :confused2: perhaps that is causing a bind?

You probably want the batteries to be at the back of the tray to get the bow out of the water, as in the top pic.
What Doug is talking about is the weight or trim tabs pushing the bow down with more hull in the water=more drag, bottom pic.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nneVYSYZjrY/TTZyl_DHNsI/AAAAAAAAAFA/ub64FkD2ktY/s288/spartan%20attidude.jpg

Brushless55
01-19-2011, 12:32 AM
I'd try propping down to a 40mm prop and get a larger xl-sized cooling can that covers the entire length of that motor.

I wonder how much bite a prop that size would have on this size hull?

stringfly
01-19-2011, 09:50 AM
After reading all this I am wondering what kind of lube or grease is being used on the drive cable. The manual says " Lubricate the motor bearings with the light oil included with the model" Then says next paragraph "remove the drive cable and lubricate it with the light oil included with your model. Any light oil included for motor bearings would not be worth a darn for the drive cable. On 6s lipos the motor is turning some rpms and the flex needs a decent marine grease so it won't pull a bunch of amps and overheat the motor or ESC. What is the oil included ????? Traxxas should know better and newbs don't know. This is no sealed truck transmission driving wheels with bearings with little drag resistance on a hard surface. My two cents.

Stringfly <>++++

Steven Vaccaro
01-19-2011, 10:03 AM
In running the numbers, it seems in order to hit 30 with nimh, its got to be the motor kv you guys assumed at 1600kv or so, if thats the case, 6s is really to much. 5s would be better.

Brushless55
01-19-2011, 10:28 AM
In running the numbers, it seems in order to hit 30 with nimh, its got to be the motor kv you guys assumed at 1600kv or so, if thats the case, 6s is really to much. 5s would be better.

with maybe a prop change on 5s, this boat may work very well :smile:

Brushless55
01-19-2011, 10:31 AM
After reading all this I am wondering what kind of lube or grease is being used on the drive cable. The manual says " Lubricate the motor bearings with the light oil included with the model" Then says next paragraph "remove the drive cable and lubricate it with the light oil included with your model. Any light oil included for motor bearings would not be worth a darn for the drive cable. On 6s lipos the motor is turning some rpms and the flex needs a decent marine grease so it won't pull a bunch of amps and overheat the motor or ESC. What is the oil included ????? Traxxas should know better and newbs don't know. This is no sealed truck transmission driving wheels with bearings with little drag resistance on a hard surface. My two cents.

Stringfly <>++++

right here buddy! :thumbup1:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-aqub9500

Steven Vaccaro
01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
with maybe a prop change on 5s, this boat may work very well :smile:

On 5s you may be able to use the stock prop or a metal one of similar size. But its going to take some testing.

Checkmateguy01
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM

The Traxxas spec page say's the motor is 1600kv. I'm probably never gonna run the boat on 6s personaly, but if get a new charger and some lipo packs i'd like to run 4s and 5s in it, sounds like that is gonna work like a charm!

Brushless55
01-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I just cannot decide if I am going to cancel my order or not :crying:

Darin Jordan
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
The Traxxas spec page say's the motor is 1600kv. I'm probably never gonna run the boat on 6s personaly, but if get a new charger and some lipo packs i'd like to run 4s and 5s in it, sounds like that is gonna work like a charm!

Does the spec page say how many poles this motor is??

martin
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Looks like the Spartan is going to be a 40mph boat if 5s is the safest to use, $400 + lipos is a very expensive boat for 40mph. Thanks Martin.

djmaincheese
01-19-2011, 11:05 PM
4S on this boat is as bad as the stock packs. It's perfect if you don't want to go faster than 30mph and want 10 minutes or so run time.

Brushless55
01-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Does the spec page say how many poles this motor is??

Darin, I don't think Traxxas knows, but my guess is 2 pole
I think is similar to other XVL motor

djmaincheese
01-19-2011, 11:15 PM
This is what the Inside of the motor looks like. Im sure this guy knows how poles this motor is, lol

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv259/djmeintjes/540XL.jpg

So is the consensus to switch to a lower kv motor (leopard 1300kv) if we only want to run 6S?

Brushless55
01-19-2011, 11:19 PM
yep, lower kv and run 6s :thumbup1:

GeoVW72
01-20-2011, 12:30 AM
This is what the Inside of the motor looks like. Im sure this guy knows how poles this motor is, lol

So is the consensus to switch to a lower kv motor (leopard 1300kv) if we only want to run 6S?

yep, it's a two pole, I love taking things apart :tongue_smilie:

not sure if it matters, but could the rotor balance be a problem :confused1::confused1:

djmaincheese
01-20-2011, 03:35 AM
This is a start and it's not going to break the bank..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CU2YUfJJ_M

martin
01-20-2011, 04:18 AM
I know not many would replace the esc or motor with original Traxxas ones if they had problems with either, But out of interest i asked the price of a spare motor & esc from the UK importer of this boat & couldnt believe the price. Motor £160, esc £220, I can buy the complete boat & radio for £355. Thanks Martin.

GeoVW72
01-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Looking over videos and had a thought.
Boats race clockwise, cars race counter clockwise, so most of the videos the boats are turning left. :glare:
The fact that the pick-up is on the right side of the rudder in the low pressure cavitation side of the rudder turning left causing no flow in an already poorly flowing system.
Looking at the Spartan front page (http://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/5708spartan-gallery?page=1) vid, even in a shallow left turn the limited flow going off the left(right in the video) goes away.

Gentlemen turn your boats to The Right

Darin Jordan
01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Looking over videos and had a thought.
Boats race clockwise, cars race counter clockwise, so most of the videos the boats are turning left. :glare:
The fact that the pick-up is on the right side of the rudder in the low pressure cavitation side of the rudder turning left causing no flow in an already poorly flowing system.
Looking at the Spartan front page (http://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/5708spartan-gallery?page=1) vid, even in a shallow left turn the limited flow going off the left(right in the video) goes away.

Gentlemen turn your boats to The Right

While I know that sounds like a good theory, in practice, if the rudder is a wedge rudder, the water remains in contact with both sides of the rudder, even in the turns, so this isn't generally a problem. LOTs of rudders have the pickup on the "wrong" side, and have no issues with water flow.

No one answered my question concerning the motor. How many poles is this motor?? Does it have any resistance or "cogging" when you rotate it by hand??

GeoVW72
01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
It's a two pole, just one large slug for the rotor. not much cog, but you can tell where the poles are
the balance of the rotor is terrible.

NDKJKaoHfwQ

might the force on the bearings also contribute to the heat?

GP73
01-21-2011, 12:04 AM
The video is private?

Not sure if this has been posted already, but according to the owner of the boat the ESC went up in flames on the second run...

OzpIJ9gn9iM

Darin Jordan
01-21-2011, 12:10 AM
If this is a 2-pole motor, then it's simply the wrong motor for the application. NO TORQUE. It's an airplane or car motor...

Need to prop it way down and even then, it's going to build some heat, just like the Nemesis, Ammo, Faigo, etc., have always done.

A boat like this needs at least a 4-pole. All of the AQ and ProBoat stuff, except for the Widowmaker and really small stuff, uses 6-pole motors, which have proven to be reliable, and fast, workhorses, especially for their size.

Brushless55
01-21-2011, 12:50 AM
It's a two pole, just one large slug for the rotor. not much cog, but you can tell where the poles are
the balance of the rotor is terrible.

NDKJKaoHfwQ

might the force on the bearings also contribute to the heat?

Holly crap that's bad :w00t:

djmaincheese
01-21-2011, 03:11 AM
Looks like this may be the trick to keeping the stock components cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2FODuwKjIE

martin
01-21-2011, 04:38 AM

I think an extra water pick up would work better than splitting the single line with the y conector. So you have better flo still to the motor & esc with 2 completely separate lines each with their own pick ups. Thanks Martin.

Darin Jordan
01-21-2011, 07:01 AM
I think an extra water pick up would work better than splitting the single line with the y conector. So you have better flo still to the motor & esc with 2 completely separate lines each with their own pick ups. Thanks Martin.

I agree with Martin... Splitting a single supply of water to two components like that isn't helping much. You need to double the supply, not split the existing one, even if it's slightly improved.

Is the MOTOR in these actually getting hot, or is it just the ESC? What kind of temps are people recording?

Run the water through the ESC FIRST, then to the motor, would also make sense.

Pick up an AquaCraft SV27R water pickup or similiar and add it on as a second source of water.

Still all just bandaids to the real problem, but should help a little.

Steven Vaccaro
01-21-2011, 07:37 AM
I agree that a second pickup should be the first place to start.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80410

I do not agree that the motor needs to be switched out at this point. Of course it can and will make a difference, but for those that do not want to spend the money, try changing the cooling and the when trying 6s I would not run huge mah packs. The longer you run, the higher the heat build up.

martin
01-21-2011, 08:11 AM
How good are these silicon jackets over the aluminium ones that gives more heat disipation with aluminium ones purly through better conductivety of heat. Ive got one of these silicon jackets that was fitted to a leopard 4074 motor, All be it a different make to the Traxxas one. Ive not run this motor or cooler so cant coment on useing it but looking at the design of the internal water ways its very restricted in as much as that it has several quite small water channels molded in to it. Its not just one big open area inside the jacket as aluminium ones are + silicon dosnt disipate heat very well. I definately wouldnt buy a silicon jacket over an alloy one. Thanks Martin.

Steven Vaccaro
01-21-2011, 10:15 AM
How good are these silicon jackets over the aluminium ones that gives more heat disipation with aluminium ones purly through better conductivety of heat. Ive got one of these silicon jackets that was fitted to a leopard 4074 motor, All be it a different make to the Traxxas one. Ive not run this motor or cooler so cant coment on useing it but looking at the design of the internal water ways its very restricted in as much as that it has several quite small water channels molded in to it. Its not just one big open area inside the jacket as aluminium ones are + silicon dosnt disipate heat very well. I definately wouldnt buy a silicon jacket over an alloy one. Thanks Martin.

Silicon used to be the only way, but that's changed. These days the silicon jackets are mostly used for motors that do not have a metal jacket option.

Diesel6401
01-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Y connectors don't make a big difference with a singe water pickup. Water flows the route of less resistance. If their is the slightest pinch or obstruction water will flow the opposite route meaning their is no true way to verify the water is actually going to both the esc/motor and because the lines meet again at one cooling outlet their will be a sign of positive water outflow but you can't tell that both systems are being properly cooled. The 6s thing is going to kill Traxxas on this boat. They should have stuck with 5s on this boat or a lower KV motor motor. On 6s that's 35k+ on the rpm, starting to get into SAW style rpm ranges after that.

I agree with Martin... Splitting a single supply of water to two components like that isn't helping much. You need to double the supply, not split the existing one, even if it's slightly improved.

Is the MOTOR in these actually getting hot, or is it just the ESC? What kind of temps are people recording?

I've read on other forums people hitting in the 180F range on the motor. Did you hear what the guy in the video said "After ONLY 6 minutes of run time it goes into thermal shut-down" the 20m runtime and 6s claim is KILLING traxxas. They should have let new people know that more then 10 minutes of runtime is a far stretch

Brushless55
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I've read on other forums people hitting in the 180F range on the motor. Did you hear what the guy in the video said "After ONLY 6 minutes of run time it goes into thermal shut-down" the 20m runtime and 6s claim is KILLING traxxas. They should have let new people know that more then 10 minutes of runtime is a far stretch

It's like Traxxas is nowhere to be found right now :glare:

Steven Vaccaro
01-21-2011, 10:58 AM
"Cool" idea on the temp senor coupled with the esc. I would like to see that in other speed controls.

I would guestimate that 2 or more times at 180 plus is going to kill those motors. Wonder what the shutdown value is.

djmaincheese
01-21-2011, 11:48 AM
It probably doesn't help that the main designer of the boat is no longer with Traxxas and apparently every design and production aspect is kept top secret, like its the CIA or some special ops unit...
I'm sure they would have had pass the torch to someone else there who was also involved in the extensive R&D of this boat and now they are scrambling to come up with solutions to these problems.
There are about 12 boats on the market and half of them have already gone back to Traxxas..

Just seems like there are too many glitches with a lot of their electronics, especially the ESC's when reading all the forum threads.
It must be a nightmare to work in that repair/ replacement department and now this..
We will just have to wait and see.

pyroM!KE
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I just got my first rc boat 2 weeks ago..Im so glad I got the Miss Geico over this boat..I cant believe there having all the heat problems...Traxxas electrics have never failed me yet on my brushless cars..

Brushless55
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
And this made boat of the year for 2010?

Diesel6401
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Just my thoughts, but Traxxas marketing maybe the major fault of this boat. If they would just let people know to NOT use that stupid "Training mode" function which heats the esc up fast and keep the run time to around 5 minutes on nimh or 4s/5s and 2 minutes or so on 6s and also allow cooling time in between switching packs a lot of the problems may go away. Also a better balanced rotor.

Brushless55
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Just my thoughts, but Traxxas marketing maybe the major fault of this boat. If they would just let people know to NOT use that stupid "Training mode" function which heats the esc up fast and keep the run time to around 5 minutes on nimh or 4s/5s and 2 minutes or so on 6s and also allow cooling time in between switching packs a lot of the problems may go away. Also a better balanced rotor.

plus on the Traxxas forums they encouraged people to talk this boat up with the 20min runs going 50+ mph with no issues at all

anytime someone would suggest or say the runtimes would be maybe 5-6min and the motor may not be upto task, they would delete those threads :glare:

Diesel6401
01-21-2011, 02:58 PM
plus on the Traxxas forums they encouraged people to talk this boat up with the 20min runs going 50+ mph with no issues at all

anytime someone would suggest or say the runtimes would be maybe 5-6min and the motor may not be upto task, they would delete those threads :glare:

REALLY, that is mind blowing. I am not a member a traxxas, but things like that would make me not want to become a member. That is really disappointing.

Steven Vaccaro
01-21-2011, 03:11 PM

I gave up trying to help on the traxxas forum a while back. Its way to regulated.

Brushless55
01-21-2011, 03:18 PM
I gave up trying to help on the traxxas forum a while back. Its way to regulated.

oh it's crazy Steven..
anytime you give good input they knock you on the hand, but now I'm seeing these heat issues and runtimes being posted and many people are now reconsidering not getting this boat, and that was with some Big Hype about this boat months ago
and I think its because of what I posted before about runtimes and what heat issues could be

GeoVW72
01-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I would agree on Darin's view on the ruder pick-up theory if we were dealing with standard components. Traxxas designed the system to be restrictive to prevent the silicone water jacket from leaking.
9vKhd5mgEFo
you can watch the outlet on the right side of the boat, it just spurts, and at 0:31 & 0:51 on a slow left turn they quit.
d6ivhYkxJSY
in this vid they turn left and stated that overheating occurred withing 1 to 2 minutes stock and after increasing flow and y-ing the tubing could run 5 to 8

the ESC is also not the bit that is handling the motor shut off, the temp sensor is running to the receiver

T.S.Davis
01-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Weren't some chastised right here on this forum for even suggesting that the claims might be exaggerated?

I'll never understand why a company like that didn't seek out an expert to help them through the process. There are so many well reputed racers out there that could have helped them. Probably for cheap too. Most guys that are into it just want to see another reliable RTR hit the water. Look what the SV and UL1 did for us all. Now we have the Geico, the VS, the Stilletto, and hopefully AQ's stray cat that's still kicking around. The Spartan is only a touch to big for Limited Spec.

Has anybody stuffed one on 6s yet? My plastic boats exploded when stuffed at those speeds.

martin
01-21-2011, 05:23 PM
I think unless Traxxas get these problems sorted & quick people simply arnt going to buy the Spartan, Their must be a lot that have been waiting for this boat to appear that now will think twice about buying one until they prove they have got over these problems. I also think potential buyers were a bit worried about spending $400 on a plastic boat but were prepared to because of the promised 50mph on 6s. Who is going to spend $400 on a plastic boat that you can only run on 4s or maybe 5s & get say 40mph safely. Thanks Martin.

LarrysDrifter
01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
All I can say is,wow.The whole Traxxas forum deleting posts thing really bites me wrong.I have had zero intentions on getting a Spartan,but to advertise the thing the way they do-give me a break.From what Ive been reading on the boat,they are going to drive alot of their customers away.It makes me feel ashamed to own a 2.5 T Maxx that Ive had for the past 10 years-and I dont even play with it.

Brushless55
01-21-2011, 10:12 PM
All I can say is,wow.The whole Traxxas forum deleting posts thing really bites me wrong.I have had zero intentions on getting a Spartan,but to advertise the thing the way they do-give me a break.From what Ive been reading on the boat,they are going to drive alot of their customers away.It makes me feel ashamed to own a 2.5 T Maxx that Ive had for the past 10 years-and I dont even play with it.

multiple postings have gone to the big traxxas trash bin :ThumbsDown01:

LarrysDrifter
01-21-2011, 10:54 PM
What a shame.I hope Traxxas gets things figured out and makes the boat reliable.Id hate to see a new boater get this as his first and have it crap out on him and lose another possible FE boater.

Diesel6401
01-21-2011, 11:51 PM
What a shame.I hope Traxxas gets things figured out and makes the boat reliable.Id hate to see a new boater get this as his first and have it crap out on him and lose another possible FE boater.

This boat was suppose to encourage new boaters not push them away. Unless they get off the High 20m run time horse and tell people to calm it down, not much will change sadly.

JPriami
01-22-2011, 03:22 AM
Traxxas is nuts lol. I got my Spartan yesterday. I've already looked it over and made a few changes. Made water pickup opening bigger, drilled the nipple on end of rudder out a bit. The damn flex cable wasnt greased! And dry of any oil if it even had any on it. I sharpened the turn fins and rudder too. Added flotation to the cowl. Oiled motor bearings just incase since I had everything out. I may increase the cooling line diameter but I'm going to try it first.

But yeah traxxas is nuts. Because this boat at 35k rpm on 6s in the hands of a noob is a bad idea. And most people are noobs to this boat. The 50mph is what sold them on it from the get go. And what do noobs do? Balls to the walls WOT more than they should. Not saying traxxas hasn't done anything wrong tho. Because they have. This boat should be bullet proof to handle what they advertise. But it's snot. I wonder what they will do to make it right? And what of the ones that already own a new Spartan boat anchor that fried?

Steven Vaccaro
01-22-2011, 07:48 AM
I've contacted a couple of the traxxas reps to see if they will comment here.

anilao
01-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Traxxas is nuts lol. I got my Spartan yesterday. I've already looked it over and made a few changes. Made water pickup opening bigger, drilled the nipple on end of rudder out a bit. The damn flex cable wasnt greased! And dry of any oil if it even had any on it. I sharpened the turn fins and rudder too. Added flotation to the cowl. Oiled motor bearings just incase since I had everything out. I may increase the cooling line diameter but I'm going to try it first.

But yeah traxxas is nuts. Because this boat at 35k rpm on 6s in the hands of a noob is a bad idea. And most people are noobs to this boat. The 50mph is what sold them on it from the get go. And what do noobs do? Balls to the walls WOT more than they should. Not saying traxxas hasn't done anything wrong tho. Because they have. This boat should be bullet proof to handle what they advertise. But it's snot. I wonder what they will do to make it right? And what of the ones that already own a new Spartan boat anchor that fried?

cAN YOU Please post images of your mods to your Spartan Please?

GeoVW72
01-22-2011, 08:25 PM
as far as hull durability.
mrK2Yz2rIeg
again going left:glare:
Good luck getting a hold of traxxas, I think they went on a cruise :Sinking:
I think the lack of lube in the Spartan vs. UL-1 killed the esc, the sound of it isn't right, not that there are no other problems (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WvznpHjnFM)

JPriami
01-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Look at Spartan vs ul-1 video. I'm on my phone and it's hard to tell. Do you see a steady stream of water coming out of the Spartan?

GeoVW72
01-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Look at Spartan cd ul-1 video. I'm on my phone and it's hard to tell. Do you see a steady stream of water coming out of the Spartan?

I don't see any, I haven't seen any of the boats with a stream of water off the side.

Brushless55
01-23-2011, 12:58 AM
I don't see any, I haven't seen any of the boats with a stream of water off the side.

in the last video you posted you can see a few shots that show a strong stream of water, specially when they ran 6s :thumbup1:

millzee
01-23-2011, 01:17 AM
So, I have been waiting to buy this boat for sometime now, but with all the issues and talk about ESC and motor upgrades to solve the issues, Im re-thinking what to buy, I like the idea of a rtr as Im new to fe boating and was hoping to simply buy a handfull of lipo's and have everything I need. I also love the size of this boat, Im never going to race, I just want to have some fun on the lake, could someone tell me weather it'd be worth just buying the spartan along with a new esc and motor just for the aspect of getting everything I need or give me a few other options that are similar. If I could pick up a spartan as a "floater/roller"(no esc or motor), would the hull and driveline be worth it? Whats out there the similar size, power and less issues?:help:

Diesel6401
01-23-2011, 01:44 AM
So, I have been waiting to buy this boat for sometime now, but with all the issues and talk about ESC and motor upgrades to solve the issues, Im re-thinking what to buy, I like the idea of a rtr as Im new to fe boating and was hoping to simply buy a handfull of lipo's and have everything I need. I also love the size of this boat, Im never going to race, I just want to have some fun on the lake, could someone tell me weather it'd be worth just buying the spartan along with a new esc and motor just for the aspect of getting everything I need or give me a few other options that are similar. If I could pick up a spartan as a "floater/roller"(no esc or motor), would the hull and driveline be worth it? Whats out there the similar size, power and less issues?:help:

By the time you would be done making this boat run right you will have 1 expensive piece of plastic. If you want a better hull, better handling, better motor and a mono in the 30+ range buy a Pursuit http://kintecracing.com/Pursuit.html. Currently the best handling mono that I have.

I'm running the Leopard 4074 2200kv motor, Seaking 180 esc .187 3/16 flexcable. This boat will so small things done to it first though. All the wood trays will need re-inforced you will need a radio system and a servo. After your done you will have a much MUCH better boat then the Spartan. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?albumid=300

Brushless55
01-23-2011, 02:21 AM
By the time you would be done making this boat run right you will have 1 expensive piece of plastic. If you want a better hull, better handling, better motor and a mono in the 30+ range buy a Pursuit http://kintecracing.com/Pursuit.html. Currently the best handling mono that I have.

I'm running the Leopard 4074 2200kv motor, Seaking 180 esc .187 3/16 flexcable. This boat will so small things done to it first though. All the wood trays will need re-inforced you will need a radio system and a servo. After your done you will have a much MUCH better boat then the Spartan. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?albumid=300

Rumdog
01-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Trust me here, the lack of lube on the flex from the factory isnt the reason for the overheating. Lube will not prevent driveline binding in a new stuffing tube with a new flex. Obviously you want to pull the flex and lube it up before maiden runs. (should be done from the factory) The cooling jacket. Also not the problem. A better jacket isn't going to cure the problem. It is a cheap 2 ole motor that is too small and has too much kv for a rtr boat to run 6s reliably. Traxxas needs to recall these boats and offer a different motor free of charge. Good luck with that.

Also, who in the hell gave this plastic un-proven turd boat of the year? Seriously, I don't know who it was but we should flood them with e-mails.
Lastly, who wants to spend 400 bucks on a plastic boat that they know they will have to upgrade just to run properly? Get a real hull. With real hardware. Everything about this boat just looks so damn cheap.

martin
01-23-2011, 01:23 PM
The problem is theirs going to be a lot of unsuspecting buyers of this boat who unless they look at forums like this & read whats going on with this boat in real running conditions their still going to buy one. Any off us can put 6s in our boats that are only built for 4s & do 50mph but not for long before some one says i can smell burning. Save your money & buy a proper tried & tested boat like the Aquacraft Motley Crew when it comes out. Thanks Martin.

martin
01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
It probably is a cheap motor in as much as its design & materials but its certainly not cheap the price their asking for a spare motor & esc. Not that you would buy one as a replacment, Ive seen the prices of these parts & couldnt believe how much they want for them. Thanks Martin.

Make-a-Wake
01-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Trust me here, the lack of lube on the flex from the factory isnt the reason for the overheating. Lube will not prevent driveline binding in a new stuffing tube with a new flex. Obviously you want to pull the flex and lube it up before maiden runs. (should be done from the factory) The cooling jacket. Also not the problem. A better jacket isn't going to cure the problem. It is a cheap 2 ole motor that is too small and has too much kv for a rtr boat to run 6s reliably. Traxxas needs to recall these boats and offer a different motor free of charge. Good luck with that.

Also, who in the hell gave this plastic un-proven turd boat of the year? Seriously, I don't know who it was but we should flood them with e-mails.
Lastly, who wants to spend 400 bucks on a plastic boat that they know they will have to upgrade just to run properly? Get a real hull. With real hardware. Everything about this boat just looks so damn cheap.

I stayed out of all the hoopla over the Spartan thankfully, never got my blood boiling at all...........it is what it is.......which is basically what Rum said above, i applaud him for his honesty, seems as if someone had to finally say hey, this thing isnt all that great. I built my 39" fiberglass mono for basically the same $$........and it actually goes 55 and rock solid.......with motor temps in the 70's

Hull $105
1717 motor $70
ESC T180a $77
Hardware $100
Servo/servo mount - $45
Motor mount - custom self made

Had my own radio, and you have to buy lipos with the spartan as well too.

The Spartan needs a 4082 Leopard on 6s.

GeoVW72
01-23-2011, 04:08 PM

That was radio control car action (http://www.rccaraction.com/), same people that said the 4-tech 3.3 was the nitro on road car of the year. Traxxas put out the call on their front page, linking to the vote site and the lemmings followed it. That and enough $$$$$ can sway the mag anywhere.

I'm sure the traxxas car fanboys will buy it no problem, what do they know about boats, it says on the box that it goes fast :olleyes:

H2OCamel
01-23-2011, 04:22 PM
I bought my carbon fiber oval master 29" with a 8XL and a Hacker navy 77 powered by 12 3300mAh nimh batts with a hitec radio for $400 ready to run wich does 48mph and will out turn out run this Traxxas, that being said it is not a ready to run and was built by and expert builder and racer. I like traxas car and truck products haven't liked any of their boats so far and they tend to over hype their specs praying on the uniformed. I still belive that buyer beware applies and do your research before you buy. It looks cool but I have tried to fix other Traxxas boats for friends and they just aren't designed very well or upgradeable.
just my 2 cents

martin
01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I would of thought if Aquacraft or Proboat had any serious problems like this with any of their boats they would have responded to issues & at leased spoken out about trying to resolve any problems but where are Traxxas. I was seriously looking at getting a Spartan along with many others i suspect with all the hype that surrounded them but not any more even if they do resolve any problems ive lost interest in this boat. Thanks Martin

millzee
01-23-2011, 05:31 PM
thanks for all your responces, It's given me lots to think about, one thing that is for sure, I recon I'll have more fun tinkering with a boat that I'll be able do do more with myself, the idea of building something up is looking much better.
I love the look of that black 39", thats a boat I could see myself with.

Brushless55
01-23-2011, 06:56 PM

Also, who in the hell gave this plastic un-proven turd boat of the year? Seriously, I don't know who it was but we should flood them with e-mails.Lastly, who wants to spend 400 bucks on a plastic boat that they know they will have to upgrade just to run properly? Get a real hull. With real hardware. Everything about this boat just looks so damn cheap.

100%

Make-a-Wake
01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Bottom line here is this.....................thousands of Spartans have been sold and ran hard on 6s...............where are the 50+mph gps youtube vids..........if someone hit it, they would be proudly posting their vid...............

EDIT: found one!! 65 mph!!........................NOT:olleyes:

4iLLNhNTYQ8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Rumdog
01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
too funny. Cant wait to see all the newbie know it alls.

GP73
01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Be nice to them, it's not their fault... :biggrin:

We all have to learn.

(unless they are jerks of course... :lol:)

Darin Jordan
01-24-2011, 12:50 AM

Hahahahaha.... I didn't realize that this had happened...

I'm suddenly feeling VERY slighted... :cursing:

:sarcasm1:

Hahahahahahahahaha..... Well... Maybe next year... :banana: :biggrin:

pyroM!KE
01-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Traxxas probably paid the magazine company to be boat of the year..:doh::laugh::roflol::rofl:

The MG should have took it hands down!

GeoVW72
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I would of thought if Aquacraft or Proboat had any serious problems like this with any of their boats they would have responded to issues & at leased spoken out about trying to resolve any problems but where are Traxxas. I was seriously looking at getting a Spartan along with many others i suspect with all the hype that surrounded them but not any more even if they do resolve any problems ive lost interest in this boat. Thanks Martin

Proboat fixed the reverse rotation flex issue on the miss geico rather quickly, they didn't have the correct cables immediately, but they acknowledged the issue within a week.

martin
01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Exactally, Everyone gets teething problems with new products but the issue Traxxas has i think is more than a teething problem especially for anyone that has already bought a Spartan. How on earth did they not come across the heat problems when they were doing R&D on this boat. Like i said get a Aquacraft or Proboat & youll get a company that knows what their doing & stands behind their products & generally gets them right or at least talks to people if they do have a problem which is normally quite small issues to which they resolve very well. Thanks Martin.

Diesel6401
01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Since Traxxas knows about these problems and their warranty program is pretty awesome. I'm about to buy one of these boats and BEAT THE S**T out of it. Run it until it blows lol.....Would be fun to push a boat hard knowing all will be replaced for free lol....

"I ran it according to the manual, you said I could run 6s for 20+ minutes", I didn't know smoke was bad, I'm a newbie!!!
:lol:

martin
01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Since Traxxas knows about these problems and their warranty program is pretty awesome. I'm about to buy one of these boats and BEAT THE S**T out of it. Run it until it blows lol.....Would be fun to push a boat hard knowing all will be replaced for free lol....

"I ran it according to the manual, you said I could run 6s for 20+ minutes", I didn't know smoke was bad, I'm a newbie!!!
:lol:
Thats a good idea, Is their a limit on their warranty on how many times they will replace parts in the first year, You could thrash the boat on 6s for say 11 months getting free motors & escs then when you get your final free parts at 11 months sell the boat as fitted with brand new & unused motor & esc, Now that would be some warranty. Thanks Martin.

JPriami
01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
So I read some above post about steven asking traxxas reps to come here and read. And you guys are taking about beating the boat and getting free new parts maliciously.

Steven Vaccaro
01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
So I read some above post about steven asking traxxas reps to come here and read. And you guys are taking about beating the boat and getting free new parts maliciously.

Beating up on Traxxas isnt the best way to get them to help. I know there is a problem and it shouldn't have happened. But it did and now they have to deal with it and us. These things happen. And will continue to happen with most all companies, here and there. If you dont want it to happen to you, wait for the items second shipping. If you want to have the latest and greatest first, be prepared to handle some of the issues that may come with that.

What I do know, Traxxas is the Giant in the rc business. Traxxas putting out a rtr fe boat, can only be VERY good for rc boat racing. It will give people that normally wouldn't build, a rtr boat thats pretty quick out of the box. 30mph for a 36" boat is pretty good for a rtr that includes the nimh cells.

Diesel6401
01-24-2011, 03:18 PM

As long as I use stock power & don't supply more then 6s or use a prop larger then 42mm (per traxxas manual) I am covered!

Steven Vaccaro
01-24-2011, 03:27 PM
As long as I use stock power & don't supply more then 6s or use a prop larger then 42mm (per traxxas manual) I am covered!

Again what does any of this talk accomplish?

Diesel6401
01-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Again what does any of this talk accomplish?

That I have ADD and special needs :doh::laugh:

dana
01-24-2011, 03:32 PM
with all the rtr's come out within the last 6 months, im really hopeful about the aquacraft cat... i think this will be a boat that really delivers....

Steven Vaccaro
01-24-2011, 03:43 PM
That I have ADD and special needs :doh::laugh:

Now thats something we can both agree on. :Peace_Sign: :just-kidding: :Peace_Sign:

Diesel6401
01-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Now thats something we can both agree on. :Peace_Sign: :just-kidding: :Peace_Sign:

:beerchug:

On a serious note, I read a lot of manuals on different boats whether I own them or not (nerd I know), but I came across something in this manual that kinda shocked me:

The following statement is from the Spartan manual: What they don't tell you or inform you is the voltage range, motor size ect. I can vary easily see a new guy reaching for more speed and buying a 1800kv motor and rocking 6s on it, because the manual 1800kv range but did not specify voltage. They may find another 540xl motor like a Feigao and run 6s on a 9XL. That could be :flashfire:

Using Aftermarket Motors and Speed Controls
Important: The Velineon VXL-6s Marine Speed Control and Velineon 540XL motor have
been optimized to work together for the absolute best performance, reliability, and
efficiency. Using an aftermarket motor with the VXL-6s speed control, or an aftermarket
speed control with the Velineon 540XL motor, may result in damage to the Traxxas
components and/or aftermarket components. Damage incurred by mixing Traxxas and
aftermarket components will not be covered by any expressed or implied warranty. Only
use the Velineon VXL-6s Marine speed control with the Velineon 540XL motor.
If you wish to outfit your model with an aftermarket brushless system, you must replace both
the motor and the speed control. Traxxas recommends a motor with a kV rating of 1600-1800
kV. Make certain the speed control you choose is compatible with your motor, is designed
for marine use, and is waterproof. Water cooling is highly recommended. Additional silicone
tubing may be required to properly plumb your speed control’s water-cooling system. The
Traxxas water-cooling motor jacket is not compatible with all motors. Install an appropriate
water-cooling system for the motor you choose. Traxxas is not responsible for damage to
your model or the components you install in the model if you replace the Velineon power
system with non-Traxxas components. Note: The Motor Temperature Sensor may not fit onto
aftermarket motors and will not work with an aftermarket receiver.
For the best performance, we highly recommend the Spartan’s factory-installed Velineon
brushless system. It is optimized for the best performance, reliability, and ease of use in the
Spartan and fully supported by Traxxas customer service.

Steven Vaccaro
01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
:beerchug:

On a serious note, I read a lot of manuals on different boats whether I own them or not (nerd I know), but I came across something in this manual that kinda shocked me:

The following statement is from the Spartan manual: What they don't tell you or inform you is the voltage range, motor size ect. I can vary easily see a new guy reaching for more speed and buying a 1800kv motor and rocking 6s on it, because the manual 1800kv range but did not specify voltage. They may find another 540xl motor like a Feigao and run 6s on a 9XL. That could be :flashfire:

Now that's funny. A guy called me today, he has a castle 1515 2200kv motor.
He called Traxxas and they said it should work ok with their esc and 6S.
I said in my best Italian voice, "forget about it". lol

Also, not sure where he got my phone number, I thought it was tightly keep secret, like the Pepsi/Coke recipes. :banana:

Checkmateguy01
01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
I can vary easily see a new guy reaching for more speed and buying a 1800kv motor and rocking 6s on it, because the manual 1800kv range but did not specify voltage. They may find another 540xl motor like a Feigao and run 6s on a 9XL. That could be :flashfire:

I guess you learn something new every day! I have a 540 9xl in the boat in my avatar pic, i had been pondering the idea that if i did get some lipo's for the Spartan, i would get couple each of 2s and 3s packs so i could run that Dumas hull on 6s, i honestly thought it wouldn't be a problem!! I still have no intensions of running the Spartan on 6s now after all the probs. For me i'm gonna stick to my origional reason for buying the Spartan, a fairly large sharp V-bottom to run at the lake and not have to worry about some rougher water, even if it does only run low 30's i'm fine with that.

Diesel6401
01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Now that's funny. A guy called me today, he has a castle 1515 2200kv motor.
He called Traxxas and they said it should work ok with their esc and 6S.
I said in my best Italian voice, "forget about it". lol

Also, not sure where he got my phone number, I thought it was tightly keep secret, like the Pepsi/Coke recipes. :banana:

:Shame_on_You: Traxxas
How mad do you think that guy would have been to run his high $$$ nice CC1515 at 6s per traxxas and burn it and possible fry the esc at the same time. This boat is suppose to be bringing in new FE guys not giving them terrible advise and scaring them away.

Bart Marshall
01-25-2011, 01:36 AM
On the Traxxas warranty-I asked customer service about changing out the traxxas connectors with deans or bullets and was told that would void the warranty on both the motor and speed control. After your waranty is up they offer a speed control swap at a special rate and that to will be voided with a connector change. So if problems with the speed control or motor are likely-and that seems to be the case-better stay with the stock connectors until these heat issues are resolved.

Diesel6401
01-25-2011, 02:06 AM
On the Traxxas warranty-I asked customer service about changing out the traxxas connectors with deans or bullets and was told that would void the warranty on both the motor and speed control. After your waranty is up they offer a speed control swap at a special rate and that to will be voided with a connector change. So if problems with the speed control or motor are likely-and that seems to be the case-better stay with the stock connectors until these heat issues are resolved.

Very interesting on the connectors. I understand why though. Yes I think the flat rate is $65 on that esc. Info can be found here: http://www.traxxas.com/node/23141

BTW: Try to stay away from deans in FE boating.

millzee
01-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Hey, any word on the Motley Crew ETA?

pyroM!KE
01-25-2011, 09:29 AM

No kidding..I just got a MG, But i see a MC in my very near future or whenever they come out..:laugh:

Brushless55
01-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Bring it! :banana:

JPriami
01-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Just wanted to post my experience today with the Traxxas Spartan. It was really the first time I have gotten to run it. Let me state the only things I have modified on my boat is the rudder itself. I opened up the inlet hole and I opened up the outlet nipple on the end of the rudder. And I changed out the stock TRX (are they rated at 30 amps?) connectors to 4mm gold bullets rated at 93A. Also sharpened the rudder and turn fins.
It was about 40 degrees outside here in TN & raining a little. I used the stock NiMH packs first. I had no issues with heat on the motor or ESC. They were cold.
My next test was with 2 Hyperion G3 EX 45C 3S 5000mAh packs. I ran a few laps 1-1.5mins and checked temps. it was cold. Then went and ran the boat for about 7mins. No problems. I checked the temps. The motor and ESC were still cool. I drove the boat like I always drive. Just sport driving having fun. I made lots of WOT straight runs for 4 seconds or so then slow and turn. But I never spend most of my time at WOT doing pass after pass after pass till the batteries are drained. I wonder if thats what some are doing not knowing any better?

Later today I went back and GPS the boat it was about low mid 40's. I also ran it hard for about 2 mins with lots of WOT running trying to get the temp up. then brought it in and immediately shot a temp reading. it was 81 degrees F.

I know I can get more speed out of the boat. i just need to adjust battery placement and adjust the strut angle and get a little more of the hull out of the water. 50mph isnt a far stretch on a good day.

Oh and I guess I should mention after modding the rudder I think the higher flow of water is posing a problem for the silicon water jacket on the motor. Because at lower speeds I see a steady stream of water coming out of the outlet on the side. when I am going 3/4 to full throttle I dont see it much at all. but there is a bunch of water inside the hull (a cup or more). I suspect the motor jacket is leaking when i go fast. Im not 100% sure but its a theory. but water was sprayed all on the underside of the canopy. I did set the boat in the tub for a half hour to check for leaks before hand and just a little (1/2 teaspoon) came in around the hole going out of the transom for the stuffing tube.

Brushless55
01-25-2011, 10:30 PM
the water spray you see i guess is from the prop shaft not the cooling jacket
and whey you run full speed the water stream is harder to see because the boat is going 40+mph and is no longer a stream but broken up by the 40mph wind :thumbup1:

JPriami
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
water spray from the prop shaft inside the boat? really? interesting

Doug Smock
01-25-2011, 10:37 PM
I doubt a cup or more.
If you want to find out for sure, fill and pressurize the water system with a syringe.
My guess is the jacket is leaking when you approach 50 just like the silicone jackets do.

Doug

JPriami
01-25-2011, 10:40 PM
you could be right maybe not more than a cup meaning a measuring cup or .25 qrt. but I bet it wasnt far from it after running for that 7 mins. it was shocking.

damn that syringe idea is good. thanks. ive been trying to fig out a way to pressurize it. I was going to use my fuel pump to my planes or something.

Doug Smock
01-25-2011, 10:50 PM
you could be right maybe not more than a cup meaning a measuring cup or .25 qrt. but I bet it wasnt far from it after running for that 7 mins. it was shocking.

damn that syringe idea is good. thanks. ive been trying to fig out a way to pressurize it. I was going to use my fuel pump to my planes or something.

No sir, I meant I doubt that much water came in through the drive line. Sorry.

You'll find the leak with a syringe if it's in the cooling system.
Good luck,
Doug

Brushless55
01-25-2011, 10:55 PM
just blow throught the line off the rudder and you will find the leak :closedeyes:

Brushless55
01-27-2011, 10:45 PM

And again Traxxas mods (just two minutes ago) do more deleting to make is look like traxxas customer support knows much more than the pure hobbyist on the thermal issues they keep having! :ThumbsDown01:

what a joke :thumbsdown:

Make-a-Wake
01-28-2011, 01:04 AM
And again Traxxas mods (just two minutes ago) do more deleting to make is look like traxxas customer support knows much more than the pure hobbyist on the thermal issues they keep having! :ThumbsDown01:

what a joke :thumbsdown:

I wish them luck in trying to delete posts here or on RCG:laugh:................where it really matters..................

Still no 50mph runs out there:confused1:

skubacb
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
"And I changed out the stock TRX (are they rated at 30 amps?) connectors to 4mm gold bullets rated at 93A. "

Not a good idea. The bullet connectors do not have the surface area of the TRX connectors. Actually, the total surface contact area of the TRX and Deans is just about the same. That means you will burn up something in the boat before you have a problem with the connectors. Try bursting over 100 amps.

Castle has some bullet connects that they recommend for their motors but remember they have three connectors there vice two for the TRX and Deans. Also, the Castle bullet connectors are NOT the banana type. Most all of the bullet connectors out there are bullet type so you actually have to worry about three pieces making full contact, which they don't.

Diesel6401
04-25-2011, 04:02 PM
"And I changed out the stock TRX (are they rated at 30 amps?) connectors to 4mm gold bullets rated at 93A. "

Not a good idea. The bullet connectors do not have the surface area of the TRX connectors. Actually, the total surface contact area of the TRX and Deans is just about the same. That means you will burn up something in the boat before you have a problem with the connectors. Try bursting over 100 amps.

Castle has some bullet connects that they recommend for their motors but remember they have three connectors there vice two for the TRX and Deans. Also, the Castle bullet connectors are NOT the banana type. Most all of the bullet connectors out there are bullet type so you actually have to worry about three pieces making full contact, which they don't.

I just got confused: :confused1: Are you saying that deans and traxxas plugs are better then CC bullets? You changed to 4mm but you are you saying that wasn't a good idea?

* The traxxas connectors and deans connectors are pure junk. Most of my setups will destroy those other connectors so quick it wouldn't be funny. I will stick to Bullets 5.5mm or higher! Also deans/traxxas will get so hot they will de-solder. There is reason why the majority of the people here don't use trx and deans plugs... Simply put they can't hang in most FE setups. I think if you continue to use trx and deans plugs it's only a matter of time before you will find the problems...

Panama Jack
04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
take a close look at a used trx conector and you will see what the real contact area.

Brushless55
04-25-2011, 09:30 PM

take a read around on the WWW bro
bullet connectors work much better than deans all the way around
bullets can handle much more amps that deans or the traxxass ones:olleyes:

skubacb
04-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Bullet connectors especially the banana type do not have the surface contact area of the Deans or Traxxas.

Second why change if the connectors are not getting hot or even warm. In my boat the wires are warming before while the connectors are cooler.

Third, I have not seen any testing that shows that banana connectors are more efficient.

But use whatever you want.

Brushless55
04-25-2011, 09:58 PM
and about most of us on these forums use bullet connectors because they are so superior :thumbup1:
and deans suck for high amp FE boats!:ThumbsDown01:

dag-nabit
04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
take a read around on the WWW bro
bullet connectors work much better than deans all the way around
bullets can handle much more amps that deans or the traxxass ones:olleyes:

A search on the web will show that not all sites rate connectors exactly the same. But in general you will find:

Deans Ultra - Rated 75 - 85 amps continuous
Traxxas - Never seen an official rating, but usually shown as around 100 amps continuous
EC5 - Rated at 120 amps continuous
6 mm bullets - rated at up to 200 amps continuous.

If the 4mm bullets used are indeed rated at 93 amps you don't really gain anything over the TRX connectors rated at 100, but for all intents and purposes are the same as TRX, and should work fine.

Kevin

Diesel6401
04-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Bullet connectors especially the banana type do not have the surface contact area of the Deans or Traxxas.

Second why change if the connectors are not getting hot or even warm. In my boat the wires are warming before while the connectors are cooler.

Third, I have not seen any testing that shows that banana connectors are more efficient.

But use whatever you want.

WOW, all I can say is good luck. I think being focused on "surface area" has clouded your judgment. In Car/Planes?Heli's those plugs are fine, but in boating it's only a matter of time before you will find the problem with those plugs. Like mentioned before there IS a reason seasoned and race vets don't use those plugs. All your information you need is on the web and prob on this site. Just use the search function at the top of the page.

Diesel6401
04-25-2011, 10:14 PM

A search on the web will show that not all sites rate connectors exactly the same. But in general you will find:

Deans Ultra - Rated 75 - 85 amps continuous
Traxxas - Never seen an official rating, but usually shown as around 100 amps continuous
EC5 - Rated at 120 amps continuous
6 mm bullets - rated at up to 200 amps continuous.

If the 4mm bullets used are indeed rated at 93 amps you don't really gain anything over the TRX connectors rated at 100, but for all intents and purposes are the same as TRX, and should work fine.

Kevin

Good information.

I personally only use 5.5mm bullets and up. Imagine using deans on pursuit that spiked at 170amps :doh: that wouldn't be pretty...

skubacb
04-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Horizon makes the EC5 but does not give it a rating that I can find. (Does not mean you are not correct. I just can't find where they rate it.)

Both the Traxxas and the Deans have about the same contact area so I would expect them to perform the same. From my use that seems about correct. But no I would not use them for 100 amps continuous. If I really loved them I would use two.

Take a look at the bullet connectors that Castle sells. They are not banana connectors. That is my objection to some bullet connectors. You have the male the female and around the male a collar. That makes two contact areas that must be right versus one for the TRX or Deans. The Castle bullet connectors eliminates that.

BTW for those that cry about taking Deans apart just dimple the outside after doing the soldering. Also, solder the Deans while the male and female are plugged together. Some people have slightly melted the case while soldering and that is what causes them to be tight. It also makes for a less efficient connection.

Finally, look up Deoxit (used to maintain connectors). The contacts need to be maintained. Deans has been around for 20 years and surely some of those connections need cleaning.

Finally, back to subject. I do hope that just enlarging the rudder, nipple, and outlet it enough to cool the Spartan. I am planning on new tubing and the new cooling jacket. If not destroyed already. Not sure after my last lake run it over heated.

spartanonfire
04-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Finally, back to subject. I do hope that just enlarging the rudder, nipple, and outlet it enough to cool the Spartan. I am planning on new tubing and the new cooling jacket. If not destroyed already. Not sure after my last lake run it over heated.

Did all that and burned up my first motor. Went to a dual pickup rudder with separate cooling for the motor and ESC. Motor number 2 is headed back to Traxxas. Good luck.. you're gonna need it.:Praying:

Alexgar
04-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Ec5 are coservetively rated at 120 I use them on a cc2200 kv with a t180 on a df29 spinning a x646 which draws a high amp load and haven't seem a problem yet I bought tons of them when they first came out and wouldn't stay in stock at my lhs but once I do see a problem I'll move up to cc 6.5s as I've been pretty impressed with there motors durability

Brushless55
04-25-2011, 11:08 PM
WOW, all I can say is good luck. I think being focused on "surface area" has clouded your judgment. In Car/Planes?Heli's those plugs are fine, but in boating it's only a matter of time before you will find the problem with those plugs. Like mentioned before there IS a reason seasoned and race vets don't use those plugs. All your information you need is on the web and prob on this site. Just use the search function at the top of the page.

Bro I hope to build a (50cc) brushless 88" Edge 540 soon on 10s, and I will be using bullets for that one! :rockon2:
something close to 3500watts
http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=378

Diesel6401
04-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Bro I hope to build a (50cc) brushless 88" Edge 540 soon on 10s, and I will be using bullets for that one! :rockon2:
something close to 3500watts
http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=378

SICK BRO... I need some flying skills. You would think being in aviation I would be able to fly... Not so much. First flight this year I crashed lol....

50cc ..... need a motor?!? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14426

Brushless55
04-25-2011, 11:18 PM
SICK BRO... I need some flying skills. You would think being in aviation I would be able to fly... Not so much. First flight this year I crashed lol....

50cc ..... need a motor?!? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14426

yeah, I'll be trying one of HK's motors for it:thumbup1: