PDA

View Full Version : rescue boat build....

saleens7
04-18-2007, 10:02 PM
after a failed attepmt at making a rescue boat with some foam i had lying around, i decided to use the High Wind hull it had instead....ill keep it just the hull without any mods for now, but i might try something similar to how SJFE has the pipes around his rescue boat....im using a sub-surface setup as it has more torque at slow speeds (i think...it seems that way anyway)...it will run on a 600 plane motor and a cheap 21$ esc on a 3600 6 cell venom pack i had lying around....its using a solid shaft and prop setup from a aquacraft hammer. Just installed the tubing for the shaft and epoxy is drying right now....

only problem is i dont have a rudder and im not going to be able to get one without taking money away from the SW36 conversion funding and im not allowed to because were trying to save money after the taxes yesterday....

ill get pics later....

SJFE
04-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Pay for shipping and I'll send you a rudder.

saleens7
04-18-2007, 10:06 PM
really? ill ask my parents...(they will probably say no....there just like that...cant tell you how many good offers people have given me and i couldnt go for em because my parents wont let me)

lferguson
04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Saleen, I know this really old guy who has a AWESOME recovery boat. probably the best one there is. If we are lucky he might post something about it.... It look like this...

saleens7
04-18-2007, 10:11 PM
looks like he put some time (and money) into it....im just using things that i had already, so far, i have spent nothing in this build

SJFE
04-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Pm me your address. I have one of the plastick 6 inch fighter 550 wedge rudders brand new...you will have to acemble it. I'll look for the directions and all the parts tomorrow.

lferguson
04-18-2007, 10:36 PM
SJFE, did you glue your PVC to the tug hull?

SJFE
04-18-2007, 10:42 PM
The front cross brace is right through the hull. The second is bolted through the hull on each side with 3/8 brass studs into the pvc end caps..that I then filled with epoxy after I bolted it. I carry it by the riggers its so strong.

lferguson
04-18-2007, 10:44 PM
I like it. Probably one of the more practical builds I've seen

SJFE
04-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks..It works. Avengersteve has one for sale now...give it a shot:)

lferguson
04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
can't now.. Funds for tunnel project only. :(

SJFE
04-18-2007, 10:59 PM
I hear that.... every peny I have is going into the JollyCat fund.

Doug Smock
04-18-2007, 11:21 PM
looks like he put some time (and money) into it....im just using things that i had already, so far, i have spent nothing in this build

Actually I built it in a week after work with things I had lying around. I'm a old fart so I have more junk. ;)

Doug Smock
04-18-2007, 11:23 PM
I like it. Probably one of the more practical builds I've seen

I'll remember you said that as I'm watching your boat sink.:p

saleens7
04-19-2007, 06:24 AM
well, sorry SJFE...parents said no before i could even finish the sentence...im trying too see if i cant get them to take me to the hobby shop this weekend, so if i do ill look for rudders there...

overnight the shaft moved and its out of line, i re-epoxied it and its drying now for the 2nd time..

SJFE
04-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Dude I'll give it to ya...don't worry about the shipping and your grumpy parents...unless what you ment is they don't want you handing out your address....Witch I agree with and understand.

saleens7
04-19-2007, 02:50 PM
its the address....im going to ask if they can have it shipped to one of their works and they can pick it up for me...and ill pay shipping....

Doby
04-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I've got some old brushed motors lying around somewhere, 550 size if memory serves me :confused: could be good for a rescue boat, if you want them you can have them,,,,I just need to find them :)

Let me know

saleens7
04-19-2007, 03:32 PM
no, i have a 600 motor and esc for it alreay, using the old radio system from the SW36 and servos too...i have everything i need but the rudder...thanks for the offer anyway...

saleens7
04-19-2007, 10:39 PM
ok, heres what ive done with it so far...ive got the motor mounted and the epoxy is drying right now, i have finally got the drive shaft in there nice and strait, and i even paperglassed (paper towel + epoxy makes some good FB substitue) the copper tubing in..
the reason why the motor is so far back is because of the length of the drive shaft......
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/saleens7_01/DSC00084-3.jpg

saleens7
04-20-2007, 04:33 PM
well, its almost done, just have to put all the electrics in a radio box, get the rudder....i think im getting one from the hobby shop..., and glue on the top of the hull and it will be done....

i test ran the motor and the coupler vibrated when it got over 1/4 throttle....i found out that when the set screw is tightended the shaft wont come out of it strait but have a bit of an angle to it....i tried to fix it but all i could do was make it vibrate a little less....doesent really matter though

saleens7
04-20-2007, 09:20 PM
finished!!!

yep, its done.....(i salvaged the rudder off the SW36..im still going to get one though, i just wanted to see how it ran....)

well, it ran good, but it could be better....it actually goes pretty fast (a lot faster than it did stock) but becuase of the weight, it just wouldnt get on plane....about 2-3mph faster and it would be on plane....i also tried to get the balance right, but it was always back heavy....ran with the nose in the air way too much, and when i slowed down, water would wash over the back into the hull.....

i dont think this is the hull i was looking for to use as a rescue boat anyway....im taking the stuff out of it and will see what i can do with it....i think ill try and use the lighter 1800mah batts that it origionally came with to see if the less weight can do any difference....

saleens7
04-21-2007, 03:15 PM
the 1800 mah was too slow, so i went back to the 3600 and finally got the balance right....it seems nose heavy when its sitting still in the water, but once it starts going, itsits perfect in the water....

but the motor in using is a plane motor and doesent have as much rpm as i wish it did....i think ill get the speed 600 from here at offshore......

im going to see if i can take a vid of it too....it may seem slow, but is pretty fast for a rescue boat....