PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 5692 bearings

ScarabChris
01-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Amazingly I have one motor with bad bearings already. Water has never even touched these motors. They have maybe 30 minutes of actual run time and one has bad bearings.

There is no resistance yet but they are super loud. How in the heck did they go bad so fast? And where do I get new ones?

carlcisneros
01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
they could have been VERY lightly lubed at what ever factory they came from if at all.

you might try boca bearings

m4a1usr
01-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Amazingly I have one motor with bad bearings already. Water has never even touched these motors. They have maybe 30 minutes of actual run time and one has bad bearings.

There is no resistance yet but they are super loud. How in the heck did they go bad so fast? And where do I get new ones?

I was wondering who would be the first to post something along these lines. I get all of my bearings from VXB. Fast shipping, in stock and they sell bearings in all grades. Get the ABEC1 bearings. They will suffice. I have not yet torn down any of my 5692's so I dont have the correct size available to give you but all the 56xx series use an 8mm id /bore bearing.

As far as yours going bad so soon I am not surprised. The bearings used in the Chi motors, yes even Leopard, are not known to be the best quality. They advertise the motors as having better bearings but they are still from the region and since cheap is the mantra of the Chi motor mainia its only common sense to accept the fact your going to get a bad one somewhere along the lines.

If you decide to pull one and mic it post your results for us to see otherwise when I get back home next week I will pull a 5692 apart and let all know.

I have the bearing sizes for most of the motors we use but you caught me in lull for the 5692. The good thing is once you know the size for the 5692 you probably will have the bearing size for the CC/NEU 2028 as well.

John

ScarabChris
01-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Unless there is a number on the bearing itself I will have a hard time finding the correct replacement. I don't have a micrometer to take the correct measurements.

I was hoping someone on here had this information for me so I could just order them.

ScarabChris
01-19-2011, 09:10 AM
OK I emailed Leopard Hobby asking what bearings I needed and this was the response.....

Dear Chris,

I checked with our engineering the Bearing type for our LBP5692 (1340KV) boat motor is 626ZZ, Internal diameter:6mm, Outside diameter:19mm and thickness 6mm. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Kitty

I found as low as 99 cents each from China but I am assuming they are junk so I went with some high quality ones from Boca Bearings for 12 bucks each. Boca Bearings is 20 minutes up the road from me. I guess I could have went and picked them up. But they will be delivered tomorrow.

m4a1usr
01-19-2011, 10:22 AM
OK I emailed Leopard Hobby asking what bearings I needed and this was the response.....

Dear Chris,

I checked with our engineering the Bearing type for our LBP5692 (1340KV) boat motor is 626ZZ, Internal diameter:6mm, Outside diameter:19mm and thickness 6mm. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Kitty

I found as low as 99 cents each from China but I am assuming they are junk so I went with some high quality ones from Boca Bearings for 12 bucks each. Boca Bearings is 20 minutes up the road from me. I guess I could have went and picked them up. But they will be delivered tomorrow.

Something doesnt seem right with their data. I am on the other side of the USA right now so I cant run out to the garage and put my hands on one of my motors but I distinctly remember the output shaft of the motor is turned down. The rotor shaft is 8mm (where the bearings would ride) but the coupler section/ shaft is actually 6mm. Jim has the newer 5692 motors with the full 8mm rotor shaft. That should make the bearing ID of 8mm? Not 6mm. Man it sux being away from home.

John

ScarabChris
01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
I just pulled the bad motor out of the boat and the shaft is not turned down. I can clearly see that the part of the shaft coming through the bearing is the same diameter as the shaft where the coupler goes on. It definitely appears to be 6mm.

m4a1usr
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
I just pulled the bad motor out of the boat and the shaft is not turned down. I can clearly see that the part of the shaft coming through the bearing is the same diameter as the shaft where the coupler goes on. It definitely appears to be 6mm.

Kewl. Sounds like you have your answer. Now I just have to get back home and see if I'm a canditate for Alzhiemer drugs! :doh:

All kidding aside that does mean there are several rotor versions out on the market. Like I said JimW has a 8mm rotor version he now sells and I am pretty sure mine is the turned version, 8mm rotor with a 6mm coupler end. Nice to have such consistency. :sarcasm1:

John

ScarabChris
01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
In my business I deal with a factory in China. Consistency is a treat. There always seems to be something a little different with the same product from order to order.

Fluid
01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Would you really even want this large, long motor with a shaft only 6mm in diameter? Remember the issues with the 5mm shafts in the original Neu 1527s? Flexing rotors hitting the windings, etc. Neu had to go to 8mm to solve the problem.....

Steven Vaccaro
01-20-2011, 06:48 AM
There always seems to be something a little different with the same product from order to order.

And they never seem to tell us about changes.

Email me about the bearings issue so I can help out.

All the new 56 motors I will carry in 8mm. Not that there has been any issues with any bending in 6mm versions, but that I feel that 8mm is stronger and there are now plenty of couplers in that size.

ScarabChris
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Would you really even want this large, long motor with a shaft only 6mm in diameter? Remember the issues with the 5mm shafts in the original Neu 1527s? Flexing rotors hitting the windings, etc. Neu had to go to 8mm to solve the problem.....

Sure why not, aside from the bearing going bad these are some bad azz motors. I have two pushing a 30 pound 54" mono at 57+ MPH.

No I haven't heard of the issues with the 5mm shaft going in the Neu. I am fairly new to FE and when I did my research here the Leopard 5692's were recommended many times over for my application and nobody mentioned that the 6mm shaft might be an issue. And to this point it hasn't.

And they never seem to tell us about changes.

Email me about the bearings issue so I can help out.

All the new 56 motors I will carry in 8mm. Not that there has been any issues with any bending in 6mm versions, but that I feel that 8mm is stronger and there are now plenty of couplers in that size.

I ordered the bearings from Boca Bearings, they should be here today. It looks easy enough to change them so there should be no further issue.

However, if the 6mm shafts self destruct the motors as Fluid is describing then you can give me a new pair with the 8mm shafts at no charge. That would help out a lot. :thumbup1:

ray schrauwen
01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
The 5692 has cheap singapore bearings and yes they can be crap from the start.

I just replaced the bearings in one 5692 I have with NSK 626 ZZ. The place I went to has this older crusty dude, Ted. Ted was saying you can go nuts spending $$ on bearings but if the steel is crap from some place in China or wherever, its a waste of money.

I gues he likes NSK.

They were $6 each from Ted's bearing & Industrial in Oakville.

The 4074 series on the other hand has some nice bearings, NSK in fact. No need to replace them and that wasn't even a Leopard brand. It was a no name but, all the same inside as Leopard.

I have both a Leopard and another brand 5692 here.

The no name has poor alignment of front faceplate holes. The Leopard's IMO are firsts off the floor and the no name ones are seconds.

Be careful when you open up these big ones, the carbon wrapped rotors are VERY strong.

You are better off removing the front end bell and the back one, leaving the rotor in the stator.

The back plate is initially glued on with CA or thread lock and then they drill & tap the screw holes in and insert screws.

Once screws are out you will need to lightly tap the shaft with wood or something that doesn't ruin the shaft.

I find it easiest to heat the faceplate up around the bearing with a small handy butane torch, making sure you don;t get too close to the bearing & heat it too, then pop it out with a BIC pen. Same thing to install, just reverse & keep bearing cool.

If you aren't comfy with a torch then you have to find your own way.

I haven't run either motor yet but, I will bench test them soon.

ScarabChris
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I'm pretty "comfy" working on anything, especially the first time, thats how we learn. I did the bearings in the Fiego motors on my twin outboard Scarab, piece of cake.

Fluid
01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Sure why not, aside from the bearing going bad these are some bad azz motors. I have two pushing a 30 pound 54" mono at 57+ MPH.

Well the bearing going bad could be related to shaft flex - or not. The issues with the Neu were real and prompted Neu to redisign the motors - would they have done that if there wasn't a problem. Yes, a 6mm shaft is 30% stronger than a 5mm one, it may be strong enough. But you could be having flex problems now and just not know it - not until a winding shorts out.

But it appears that Leopard realized the potential problem, otherwise why would they change to the 8mm shaft? The cost difference between 6mm and 8mm shafts and bearings matters to Chinese companies trying to hold down costs. I hope the current motors work well for you, they may do fine. Me, I'd hold out for 8mms.

ray schrauwen
01-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Well the bearing going bad could be related to shaft flex - or not. The issues with the Neu were real and prompted Neu to redisign the motors - would they have done that if there wasn't a problem. Yes, a 6mm shaft is 30% stronger than a 5mm one, it may be strong enough. But you could be having flex problems now and just not know it - not until a winding shorts out.

But it appears that Leopard realized the potential problem, otherwise why would they change to the 8mm shaft? The cost difference between 6mm and 8mm shafts and bearings matters to Chinese companies trying to hold down costs. I hope the current motors work well for you, they may do fine. Me, I'd hold out for 8mms.

I don't know if they realized any problem. Maybe Chris Fine and his purchase of a lot of motors with 8mm shaft got them thinking, why?
Who says they will be the same price?

Who knows....:confused1:

Steven Vaccaro
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM

Before any conclusions are jumped to, we can still get them in 6mm shaft sizes.

ScarabChris
01-20-2011, 10:01 PM

How the hell am I going to "hold out" for the 8mm shafts when I have been using the 6mm shaft motors for nearly 2 months?

I got them from Steven at OSE, are you saying he sold me faulty motors? Hey Steven, why did you sell me the puny 6mm shaft motors? I think you should instantly send me the new 8mm shaft motors so my boat doesn't blow up. :sarcasm1:

Sounds like how the auto companies make changes in their cars to improve something. I guess everyone that buys a new car just prior to an improvement should have "held out" for the new version.

Again......:sarcasm1:

ScarabChris
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
I got the bearings from Boca Bearings today. They were super easy to install. The total time once I got the motor out of the boat was about 10 minutes to change the bearings. The motors are super smooth and quiet again.

For future reference the Boca Bearing part number for Leopard 5692 1340 KV with 6mm shaft is SMR626-ZZ.

RIPFENCE
01-21-2011, 07:00 PM
just ordered some bearings off the boca websight..the part number went right in and it was simple..have to prepare for my knock off knock off "toppower" 5692 and change the bearings from the get go...

Alexgar
01-21-2011, 08:06 PM
i posted about cheap bearings check here
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/626ZZ20-1

RIPFENCE
01-21-2011, 08:47 PM
very good info..will not hurt to have a spare:thumbup1: set especially for resale on a 5692

Alexgar
01-21-2011, 10:27 PM
i have a motor ans a pack go out on me today and i just bought a new hull cheap or not a great addition to my field box, and they were part for pat next time ill buy boca but i needed a quick fix got a df29 on the way and the bearings will get here before the batts its all good i have 4 sets for her

Alexgar
01-21-2011, 10:28 PM
i love cc motors, decent price aesome perfomance, im ordering a new 1515 for her(real) to but cant wait

DISAR
02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
I got the bearings from Boca Bearings today. They were super easy to install. The total time once I got the motor out of the boat was about 10 minutes to change the bearings. The motors are super smooth and quiet again.

For future reference the Boca Bearing part number for Leopard 5692 1340 KV with 6mm shaft is SMR626-ZZ.

I would like to ask how the motors are doing with the new bearings? Thanks.

So apart from the bearings quality, is there a design issue?

TotalPackage
02-17-2011, 03:27 PM
same question i have . I mean the keep callin them neus but i doint remember anyone reportin nue bearing prematurely failing new like this turns me off coz i waz about to buy a 5692 keep me posted

ScarabChris
02-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Aside from the bearings going bad in one of the two motors they have been flawless. Tons of power. They are now pushing the boat just over 60 MPH and the RTR weight is just shy of 30 pounds.

I just think they used super cheap bearings from factory. Just looking at the Boca bearings compared to the stock bearings I could tell the Boca's were of much better quality.

The end bell comes right off and the bearings come right out with a slight tap with a wooden dowel.

ray schrauwen
02-18-2011, 11:25 AM
The end bell comes right off and the bearings come right out with a slight tap with a wooden dowel.

The TOP POWER 1380KV motor has some additional glue to deal with...:thumbsdown:

96XP
10-04-2012, 04:19 AM
-moved to new post.