PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried a pair of 4 cell 14.8v lipo?

Boomer
01-06-2011, 06:13 PM
I am just wondering if anyone has attempted to run a MG with a pair of 4s 5000mha 40c (14.8 volts) In a Miss Geigo that would mean the system would have to deal with 29.6 volts or 8s. :sinking-guy:

If this has been done successfully, I'd like to know the set up used; what ESC, motor, prop and if you changed the wiring from being in series to parallel?

I have a new set of these batteries and am dying to put them in something. I got them for my EKOS, which is of course a twin with two ESCs. I have upgraded the stock 60amp ESC with 120A so it should be ok. These batteries are pretty heavy and make the EKOS sit pretty low in the water, so looking at the MG, it has more freeboard and looks like it can handle the extra weight, so...............

When I tried 6s on my MG it was scary fast. I was surprised that it was able to make 10 or 12 passes before the ESC decided to go up in smoke! :doh: I have since upgraded the ESC to a 120amp Turnigy so no more smoke for now. :bounce:

I am wondering what it would take to set the boat up for this kind of power?

And yes, I am a little crazy, so it is ok.:rockon2:
Boomer

Fluid
01-06-2011, 06:21 PM
You cannot use 8S without changing the motor and ESC, and likely the prop. Frankly there is little reason to do this if speed is your concern, the boat can't really handle 60 mph. If you get a low Kv motor and limit amp draw to less than stock you can get better than stock performance with more run time on 8S. But it's overall cheaper and easier to get a higher Kv 4S motor and run 4S2P if you aren't crazy about excess speed.

Boomer
01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Fluid,
Thank you for your response. I realize the stock set up would not be up to the task, thus my questions.

I have seen an MG go 55mph and it appeared to me that it could handle more speed. It was very stable with no signs of getting loose or starting to kite. I am only curious as to what set up would be required to utilize these batteries.

I use one of these batteries in my Genesis, and get decent performance, but the set up in the boat couldn't handle two of them in series. I am not sure what could. Again, that is why I posted this inquiry.

There are some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum, and have been very helpful to me as I move forward in this hobby.

Thanks again for your insight.
Boomer

nomobux
01-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Fluid,
Thank you for your response. I realize the stock set up would not be up to the task, thus my questions.

I have seen an MG go 55mph and it appeared to me that it could handle more speed. It was very stable with no signs of getting loose or starting to kite. I am only curious as to what set up would be required to utilize these batteries.

I use one of these batteries in my Genesis, and get decent performance, but the set up in the boat couldn't handle two of them in series. I am not sure what could. Again, that is why I posted this inquiry.

There are some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum, and have been very helpful to me as I move forward in this hobby.

Boomer

Boomer, Boomer , Boomer .... When we talked about you buying my EKOS, we stated to each other , that we wanted a reliable boat and the speed was not a factor , to a point !!! You've gone to the DARK side !! Know anyone up for a factory sealed Tamiya 1/16 Tank .. ?

pyroM!KE
01-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Fluid,

Boomer

Check this out..Its not a MG but its a Cat (blackjack)...:ohmy::thumbup::lol:
I love the explosive acceleration at 0:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzFcujV1BnA&feature=related

Boomer
01-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Wow - a twin Blackjack, very cool and very fast!

nomobux,
Old friend, it was bound to happen. The EKOS on 4s is reliable and runs well, on 6s, it is just starting to come to life and has shown no signs of heat. The ESCs, batteries and motors were all under any temps to be concerned about. Clearly, the boat needs more juice to get her to that point where it was born to run.

I got a pair of the Red Venom Props for it from a fellow forum member at a friendly price that are like new. They are the same as the plastic stock props, but are true and balanced, and have to be better than the plastic props.

I got the 120A ESCs to allow me to put some juice on board without exploding the stock ESCs. I am very happy with the boat at this point, but would like to see it run in the 50s. Motor upgrades may be in order. Time will tell.

My Miss Geigo on 6s is very fast, and is so stable, I am being compelled to see if there is a little more to be had and still remain reliable. Messing around with a couple of different props to see where that takes it.

It seems with the right combo, you can get these puppies to go pretty fast without giving up all of the reliability. I am not looking for my boats to go 75mph,, but honestly, when you see your boat run 55mph, it makes each pass more fun. I have a good set up for my MG,so I won't change it much there, but I have another hull I am working on that should be a bit more exciting and perhaps that one should be called the "Dark Side"

I wouldn't say I have gone over to the "Dark side"completely, but a little maybe. I still like my RC sailboats, so I have something that keeps me grounded. I have started flying and have two RC planes that are great fun. If you want to talk about being nuts, this would be nirvana for crazy people.

Happy New Year
Boomer

Diesel6401
01-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Check this out..Its not a MG but its a Cat (blackjack)...:ohmy::thumbup::lol:
I love the explosive acceleration at 0:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzFcujV1BnA&feature=related

That's blackcat26's twin BJ. He has twin MG as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rySYajIqL-A he's a member here, he build some fast stuff!

blackcat26
01-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Hmm those look familiar......

pyroM!KE
01-09-2011, 04:18 AM
I'm thinking about running 2 4cell 3600 30c together (not in series)14.8v total for a total of 7200mah for longer run times..And the weight of the 3600 pack isnt much heavier than a 2 cell 5000...Anyone doing this?

Ohh would this mean doing these packs like this, that the c rating would be 60c together? wouldnt that give you more punch?

Boomer
01-09-2011, 11:19 AM
If you don't have the batteries yet, I have a pair of just about new, 4 cell
14.8 v 4s 5000mha 40-50C. I just got them from another forum member.
Picture below. LipoPower advised he used them for a couple of passes only.

These will give you some serious run times

They already have bullet connectors installed. I will sell them for what I paid
for them, which was $110 (for both )via Paypal - gift - I got some batteries for Christmas
and don't need these now.

Boomer

Brushless55
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking about running 2 4cell 3600 30c together (not in series)14.8v total for a total of 7200mah for longer run times..And the weight of the 3600 pack isnt much heavier than a 2 cell 5000...Anyone doing this?

Ohh would this mean doing these packs like this, that the c rating would be 60c together? wouldnt that give you more punch?

that would work very well
It would be like running a 7200mah 30c 4s pack

tiqueman
01-12-2011, 01:51 PM

I run a pair of 4S 4000mah in mine (4S2P) for 8000mah and run it in LSO. Even for sport running, Ive never gone pack to pairing 2S in series. In runs much better w/ the 4S packs.

jac4412
01-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Whats the fastest anyone has seen a MG go? Just curious... Word is that it cant handle much more than 60... anyone seen it in the 70s? 80s?

Boomer
01-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Jac
I have made a few passes on my MG with 6s, and can report the boat was never more stable. I am sorry I didn't have GPS on board, but my senses tell me the boat was running at least 50mph.

I have an EKOS that has been clocked(GPS) at 47mph and to all of us that were there, to a man, felt the MG was going significantly faster.

My point is after seeing my MG go that fast, and looking like it was on rails, I would certainly be comfortable with it going 65mph. These boats turn exceptionally well, far better than my EKOS.

Time will tell
Boomer

jac4412
01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Well I think I've decided... I think I'm going to keep my boat stock except the prop... its such a beautiful boat and runs really well. I think after this semester I'm going to purchase a hull with hardware... stick an 1800kv motor in it with a 120 or 180a ESC with 5s setup. Repaint it and everything. Maybe make a black and pink cat... I saw a tunnel with those retro colors and damn it looked good. I think I'll keep some MG stickers on it though. Buttt point being is that I want to have a cat with an interchangeable 5-6s setup... on 6s it should be pushing 60.

Boomer
01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Jac
"To each his own", not sure I go with pink, but hey "what ever floats your boat"
I am working on 2nd Miss G which I hope to be able completed next month. It will be a one of kind at least until someone copies it.

Most of us enjoy the looks of these boats, and the value you get for the money.
Fun boat, handles well and has yet untapped potential.

Good luck on the custom painted edition.

Boomer