PDA

View Full Version : IMPBA D12 FE Racing in 2011 (MD, DE, DC, VA, NC)

Chilli
12-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I've actually got a little free time and just wanted to open a new thread for D12 FE racing for 2011. To say we broke the ice in 2010 would be an understatement. Thanks to all of you for making it happen! It looks like just about all of us have projects on the bench for next year, so I imagine things are only going to get bigger and better next year.

Here is where we're at for 2011 in a nutshell:
We just finished up a trial year with combined nitro/electric classes for P-spec Hydro, P-spec outboard tunnel and P-mono. Things couldn't have gone any better! I expect the classes to be voted permanent at the district 12 meeting over the winter. Voting is done by district club officers. Now, what's in store for the 2011? I have to give Don a call but I think the trend is going to continue to try and bolster nitro classes that have been having light turn outs. I think Don wants to combine the bigger nitro hydro classes into a Open Nitro/FE hydro class. I think he also wants a combined Nitro/FE 1/8th scale class (with the parity rule). Personally I would also like to see Open Nitro Mono become Open Nitro/FE mono. So I'm pretty sure that's what we're looking at for next year. These possible new additions will have to be proposed and approved at the winter meeting before it's a done deal. Also remember FE's can run in Open Cat and Open offshore. But you better have a boat that's capable of running with big gas boats.

Now, some of you may be thinking down the road and wondering what's it going to take for us to get a class of our own? Don often gets asked to add classes for the district race series. His response is always the same. "Show me the money". Whether gas, nitro or FE. That means get a group of guys to build the boats for the class that you want to run and bring them to the races. And not just one or two district races. You have to have enough participation at almost all the district races. That's the only way we're going to get our own FE classes in the future. We had a great turn out at Chesapeake, but we had just one FE in Greensboro, two in Queenstown, one in Centreville and one in Hagerstown. So at this point ,we are not in a position to ask for anything. But as FE's get more exposure and their numbers grow, so will be our ability to get our own separate FE classes.

I hope you all have a great, safe Holiday season. I can't wait till spring!!! :beerchug:

Chilli
01-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Distric 12 FE rules can be found here:

http://www.impba.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=153&func=view&catid=17&id=65

Here are the availible FE classes for D12 in 2011

Novice - no riggers (combined nitro/gas/FE class, non championship points class)
B / P-Spec Outboard Tunnel - (combined nitro/FE class)
B / P-Spec Hydro - (combined nitro/FE class)
B / P- Mono - (combined nitro/FE class)
Open Tunnel - 6S maximum (combined nitro/gas/FE class)
Open Offshore - (combined nitro/gas/FE class)
Open FE Hydro - 8S maximum (none championship points class)
Open FE Mono - 8S maximum (none championship points class)

Diegoboy
01-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the link Mike

Doug Smock
01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
See ya at the pond fellas!!!:thumbup:
I hope to bring some more of the D13 gang this time.

Doug

hazegry
01-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Looking forward to having fun with my tunnel the motor showed up today

Diegoboy
01-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Then can I have my OS leg back now? :lol:

Chilli
01-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Thanks for refreshing the thread Danny. Looking foward to running with all of you this year. Running boats is great but sharing it with others afflicted with this model boating disease we all have is what makes race weekends special. There are a ton of great people in this district. There are also a couple of okay guys outside the district.:buttrock:

I talked to Dick a few days ago. Chesapeake pond still has not been secured for this season. He is waiting for a meeting with the mayor. He also told me he wants to propose replacing D-Outboard Tunnel with a Open Tunnel Class. So that makes another potential class for us to run. It should be an interesting winter meeting. I'm sure Don will let us know when the meeting gets scheduled. Usually late February.

We are all IMPBA D12 members now. So if any of you have any changes or suggestions for the district, write up a proposal and submit it to Don or your club officers. If it's something very important to you, you can lobby all the club officers in the district since they are ones who vote at the winter meeting. Thats what I did with the FE proposal last year. Contact emails are on the D12 web site in the clubs section.

www.impba12.com/index.htm

Now lets all get to work on our boats!!!!:beerchug:

hazegry
01-08-2011, 09:52 AM
the one you keep forgetting to take with you that I even put in a ziplock bag so you could just grab and go sure lol. I gave my 2nd tunnel to a guy in the area I am hoping we can get him involved somehow this year as well.

Chilli
02-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi guys. We have a few clubs that haven't secured their ponds for the year yet. This is holding up our winter meeting and the release of the 2011 distric race schedule. The latest word is the winter meeting should be in March.

A few dates that I saw posted on the IMPBA site:

The weekend of April 9th there will be a SAWS event in Elizabeth City, NC

The weekend of April 16th there will be a 1/4 and 1/3 mile Oval Record Trials event in Franklin, VA

I'm sure Don will get more details to us as we get closer to the dates.

I do plan on attending the oval record trials event. Hope to see some of you out there. All boats must fit a IMPBA National Class. There are alot of soft records in the books for FE's in 1/3 mile record trials and many vacancies for 1/4 mile trials. Let's bump 'em up and fill in the blanks! If you have any question pertaining to what is legal, Doug Smock will have the answers for you since he is the IMPBA records director.

Let me know if any of you are planning on joining in.

:beerchug:

Meniscus
02-28-2011, 12:10 PM
When are practices held in Franklin?
Did we really miss an event this last weekend in Chesapeake? It's on the calendar, but didn't hear anyone speak of it.

As for the Mayor, all you have to do is organize a fund-raiser and do a little marketing to general public. The last thing any public official wants is to turn down an organization hosting a fund raiser or prevent that from happening. Marketing would be as easy as calling a couple radio stations and choosing a beneficiary for funds raised. You could even do a general fund raiser for firefighters or something similar. Just a thought. Who knows, that tactic could increase interest in the hobby locally, especially if we compile the good guides already written to get into the hobby. At the same time, it will continue to support the LHS.

Meniscus
02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Another question, for record time trials, is this conducted with one boat in the water at a time or is it under race conditions with multiple boaters?

Also, how much to replace a buoy? :laugh:

Chilli
02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey Ben, I also saw the Chesapeake event on the calandar but I'm not aware of anything going on that weekend. As for the Chesapeake pond, It's a ODMBA matter and all I know for sure about the situation is ODMBA is doing every thing they can to continue racing at that site. They have run events there for many years and it would be a shame to loose it.

I don't know too much about the Franklin site and I havent attended a record trials event yet. My guess is there will not be practice time at that site other than the three days the event is scheduled for. Hopefully one of the guys that have attended a trials event will give us the low down on how they are run.

hazegry
02-28-2011, 05:46 PM
looking forward to this summer I should have my dues and boat ready for april

Meniscus
02-28-2011, 09:45 PM
If they only run one boat at a time for time trials, does that mean I could try my hand at N-hydro or P-hydro Oval 1/4 or 1/3 mile?

Chilli
02-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Ben they do run only one boat at a time and you can run as many classes as you wish. I'm trying to talk Danny into running a N Cat. Technically N Tunnel. Put the heat on him!!!:flame42: I'm going to do P-Mono, P-Hydro and my son is going to run P-Sport Hydro.

If anyone has not taken a peak, the IMPBA record book can be found here. FE records are the last three pages.

http://www.impba.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=69

Doug does a great job of keeping it up to date!:bowdown:

Diegoboy
03-01-2011, 01:46 AM
OK. My H&M M1-supercat S will ne a 2S boat. (N-tunnel)
I need a motor & ESC now!!

don ferrette
03-01-2011, 08:12 AM
If they only run one boat at a time for time trials, does that mean I could try my hand at N-hydro or P-hydro Oval 1/4 or 1/3 mile?Ben, of course you are welcome to come out and give it a go and I'll be willing to help if I can (I will be runing for numerous oval records). The only thing to keep in mind is that if the weather is less than desirable (usually winds) and we are waiting for good "record water" if/when that does happen the water is yielded to those running very close or at record speeds. In other words if you aren't "right there" as far as speeds go we give the run time to those who are. This has been a long standing "unwritten rule" at all our record events both oval and SAW. Look forward to seeing you guys there if you can make it, record trials are always an eye opening experience. :thumbup1:

Meniscus
03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Sounds good. For the most part, I don't mind windy conditions, especially for the riggers in oval trim. I have a cat I could run, but I don't think I'll put the effort into it since it will likely be too slow.

Danny, you can borrow my ESC at the pond and I'm sure that Lehner would run just fine for that setup, as long as she's a little loose. I'll also have those lipos available.

Considering we're allowed to run any classes, I believe I'd be in for N-hydro, P-hydro in both 1/4 and 1/3 mile oval.

Anything in particular I should know about the water? Is it the same buoyancy as the Indian River location? Or have you guys been dumping water softener again? :laugh: How much to replace a buoy again?

I'm sure you guys already have rescue boats figured out, but I do have a 16' canoe, 3 kayaks, and a trolling motor if we get in a bind.

Meniscus
03-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Here's a clarity question for those that understand the IMPBA rules. I was thinking that my Viper could run as N-hydro and I don't see any issues with that. What I was wondering is, will it meet spec for N Sport Hydro? My specific concern is the wing in the front under the following rule:

"Picklefork hulls shall not have open areas ahead of the forward riding surfaces totaling more than 25% of the total hull length. No other hull vent(s) are allowed."

What is a hull vent?

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=346
From H&M Website:

http://www.hydromarine.de/Photos/Hydr09.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated. Please note that my Viper features BUD decals, does not have a rear wing, and does indeed meet the spirit of sport hydro.

don ferrette
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Vents would be openings in the deck area like the Bud T-4, Circus tri-wing, T-Plus, etc.

Meniscus
03-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the clarity!

Meniscus
03-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Question 1:

OK, still not sure if the Viper is legal for N Sport Hydro. Total length from bow to transom is approx 24.25". When I measure the open area, excluding wing in the front, meaning from the first open area from the transom to the bow, it measures approx. 8". This translates to about 33% of the hull length. So, is that how I measure it, or is it to be measured from the wing forward to comply with the following rule?

"Picklefork hulls shall not have open areas ahead of the forward riding surfaces totaling more than 25% of the total hull length. No other hull vent(s) are allowed."

I know this is complicated and if I was trying to adapt some hull that wouldn't meet the scale spirit of this class, then I'd understand. However, this model is scale in appearance minus necessary running hardware.

Question 2:

If I read the rules right, it does not matter what length a rigger is for any standard class, as long as it under 60". Is that correct? Also, are winged riggers still considered riggers such as my X-Crab?

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=344

Question 3:

How long does it take for an account to be approved for online login to IMPBA?

I really appreciate the help guys!

egneg
03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Ben I am not sure about the first question but as for the second one I ran my H&M XS2 at the end of last season when I didn't have the UL-1 any more and no one said I couldn't. I think maybe because the riggers and hydros were combined into a common 20 class.

Chilli
03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Ben, I'm trying to find out who the IMPBA Hydro Technical Chairman is so we can get you in contact with him or her and get your hydro questions answered.

I'm pretty sure your X-Crabs is considered a rigger. I cant find any technical standards for a rigger other than size in the rule book. But like Chuck said, even if the Crab is not considered a rigger, it would still fall under the hydro class with no minimum size and a max of 27" for N power and 34" for P-power. There is not even a separate "rigger class" for record trials, SAW's and heat racing. It's just "hydro" which could include rigger, cat, tunnel, mono with steps or even a non-legal sport hydro.

I renewed my membership online in the fall and got my card in about three weeks. The IMPBA Secretary John Equi handles membership. If you havent recieved your card by the end of the month, drop a email to John at secretary@impba and I understand he'll give you your IMPBA number over the phone. The few times I contacted him he was very quick to respond.

BTW- Welcome aboard!!!!:rockon2:

Chilli
03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Ben, Our IMPBA President Keven Sheren was nice enough to call me this evening to let me know your sport hydro is legal. He also informed me that he is the one who handles the membership and he tries to process them on a weekly basis. So it shouldnt be too long before you receive your card.

Ksheren
03-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Ben, Our IMPBA President Keven Sheren was nice enough to call me this evening to let me know your sport hydro is legal. He also informed me that he is the one who handles the membership and he tries to process them on a weekly basis. So it shouldnt be too long before you receive your card.

Mike I was WRONG!!! The pickle fork is greater than the 25%. :doh::doh:

Sorry for the inconvience.

Kevin Sheren

Chilli
03-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Got your phone message Kevin. Considering how many hats your wearing in the IMPBA, it's all good. Thanks for your quick response.

Sorry Ben :(

Meniscus
03-02-2011, 11:48 PM
I got excited...and then not :tongue_smilie: So I guess that I have to figure out how to fill the gap :laugh: So much for scale Bud, even if it is well short of the length limit. Rules are rules. Thanks for the clarity guys. :thumbup1:

At very least, I'm setup for N hydro and P hydro time trials at competitive speeds. Then I can run P spec hydro for races. It's just a shame I can't run P sport hydro. Perhaps the answer is to modify the Viper to remove the gap behind the wing. :glare:

don ferrette
03-03-2011, 08:06 AM
I got excited...and then not :tongue_smilie: So I guess that I have to figure out how to fill the gap :laugh: So much for scale Bud, even if it is well short of the length limit. Rules are rules. Thanks for the clarity guys. :thumbup1:

At very least, I'm setup for N hydro and P hydro time trials at competitive speeds. Then I can run P spec hydro for races. It's just a shame I can't run P sport hydro. Perhaps the answer is to modify the Viper to remove the gap behind the wing. :glare:Ben, all you need to do is add a pair of 2" extensions to the deck leading edges (where it says Bud) to get to your 6" total picklefork depth. I would make them the same shape and blend to the existing deck lines. Fortunately you are working with a simple solid color that with a liitle airbrush work your mod won't be noticable. I wanted to post something last night but I'm on call this week and didn't get the chance until this morning. Better to find out now than being at an event and finding out you're not legal. :doh:

Meniscus
03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Very true. I try to do my homework. There's no point in wasting anyone's time or to find out after the fact. Most likely, I will not be ready with the Viper for the April time trials.

I have been tuning this model for quite some time and any changes will need to enhance running characteristics vice being a hindrance. That being said, if I do decide to make it legal, I will likely add a little downforce/ground effect to keep her planted over 60mph in oval trim. To start, I'm probably going to add a few mock pieces and see what it does to the handling, but this will take time especially since I do not have a strong background in aerodynamics as I don't do planes. I guess it will be trial and error. I just hope its more trial than error. :laugh:

Meniscus
03-03-2011, 11:20 AM
...I'm pretty sure your X-Crabs is considered a rigger. I cant find any technical standards for a rigger other than size in the rule book. But like Chuck said, even if the Crab is not considered a rigger, it would still fall under the hydro class with no minimum size and a max of 27" for N power and 34" for P-power. There is not even a separate "rigger class" for record trials, SAW's and heat racing. It's just "hydro" which could include rigger, cat, tunnel, mono with steps or even a non-legal sport hydro...

The issue is that the X-Crab is 27.4" and is likely only to run well on 2s1p (N-hydro). Worst case scenario, I'll have to break out the file and start at the sponsons! :ohmy: Who knows, it may be that I'll need to change the sponsons out for a different design. If that's the case, then I'll rebuild to 27" exactly to allow for either N or P in the future.

Diegoboy
03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I finally renewed my membership this morning!
...on to step 3

Step1: Get a competitive boat

Step2: Renew membership

Step3: Log some pond time before the races.

Meniscus
03-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I finally renewed my membership this morning!
...on to step 3

Step1: Get a competitive boat

Step2: Renew membership

Step3: Log some pond time before the races.

What happened to rinse and repeat?

Meniscus
03-03-2011, 05:30 PM
OK, is there any limit to parallel packs for time trials? I have a MaxAmp 2s(3p?) that I was considering running in a rigger for N-Hydro, mainly so I can push the COG forward.

Any rules on switches? I can't find any requirement.

Are we required to display IMPBA member # on models? The reason why I ask this is, I plan to bring several boats out to the races. If for some reason someone has an issue with theirs, then I'd like to offer them the opportunity to run one of mine if the need arises. Depending on what I bring, I may make a model available for an IC guy to try.

egneg
03-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Ben there is no requirement to display the number, but from what I understand you can't switch boats during a race.

Chilli
03-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Hey Ben,

No limit on parallel packs.

Switches are not madatory though a nice safety feature.

We are not required to display any IMPBA #'s on the boats.

For SAW and record ovals, If it isnt in the rule book, it's not required.

What Chuck said about changing boats in heat racing is true. Once you run a boat in a heat you can not run another boat in that same class. Basically it means no backup boats.

Meniscus
03-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys. What I was really thinking is, if the IC guys would like to have a hand at FE, I was going to try to make that possible.

Diegoboy
03-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Meniscus,
Matrix update:
The cable was a .125. I pulled out the damaged aluminum stuffing tube and installed a brass 1/4" tube in it's place. Mow you can run a .150 with a teflon liner.

Wednesday should be good for a meeting to hand her back to you.

Chilli
03-05-2011, 11:45 PM
I've got a new .150 flex I cut a little too short with a liner. I have no need for it and it's been sitting in a box for a year. You guys can have it if you want. Total length is 9-7/8".

Diegoboy
03-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks Mike. His .125 twisted and tore out the aluminum stuffing tube. needless to say, the prop and shaft are resting quietly now. It can get some good use in Ben's Matrix.

Chilli
03-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Cool. Happy to keep it in the district!! PM me a address and I'll get it in the mail on Monday. Just want to verify, 3/16" shaft okay???

Diegoboy
03-06-2011, 07:27 AM
3/16 is right. I don't know Ben's address... Ben??

Meniscus
03-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Got the parts and don't need the cable. Thanks guys! I've been working on the X-Crab and doing a lot of thinking about what COG will be best. Jury is still out, but we'll have to see how she works. I still need another for my cat, but not going to race that so it can wait.

On the Matrix, some of the issue I believe is the fact that there was a large gap between the end of the tube and the coupler. When combined with an unsupported tube, it was only a matter of time. Just a shame I didn't untape to notice fracture in tube before loosing that prop. I still need to go over there with a magnet, but haven't made it over there.

Chilli
03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
The District 12 winter meeting is scheduled for Saturday March 26th, 11:30 sharp at Anna's Italian Restaurant 7009 Mechanicsville Tpke, Mechanicsville, VA 23111

The 2011 schedule will be announced, proposed rule/class changes will be discussed and voted on by Don and club officers. 2010 District Champion jackets might also be passed out if Don receives them in time.

I'm confidant I'll be able to attend. If anyone has a rules change proposal and cannot attend, forward it to your club officers. If you are not a club member, I'll be happy to present it on your behalf. I don't foresee any changes for any of the current FE classes since things went very well last season. If anyone wants to discuss a rules proposal, please start a new thread. I would like to keep this thread debate free.

FYI- Pond situations for two clubs still have not been resolved but the clubs involved are working hard to get their ponds secured for the season.:Praying:

Meniscus
03-06-2011, 09:38 PM
No luck on the ponds I'm working on. I'll let everyone know as soon as I know more.

Unfortunately, I'll be in Florida with my wife for the week of 19-27 March. Keep me up to date regarding the ponds.

Meniscus
03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
OK, just asking general questions, but as I read the rules, it appears that the Tenshock Eco would be legal as mono, albeit subsurface and small. I used to have a Tenshock Eco and an H&M Eco which is legal for NAMBA under N1 Mono. Any reason why the Tenshock Eco isn't a legal mono for IMPBA?

In P mono, not spec-mono, is there any reason why I couldn't run 3s? Under the most recent rule book, it states a voltage range of 8.4 to 14.8. I'm trying to evaluate options with my No Step 1. While it runs 55mph on 4s with more to go, I think I'd like to save the weight and prop up on 3s.

Chilli
03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Ben, I'm not familiar with the Tenshock. If it's 34 inches or less and has a single ride surface with no steps (strakes are okay) then it's a legal mono. 3S and 4S is good for the "P" power class.

Now here is the "keeping it real" disclaimer. If the boat is much less than 29 inches, it may have a hard time in race water during heat racing resulting in allot of DNF's. Six boats running the course make for allot of chop. This will cause frustration for you. Especially if you sink allot of money in the boat to get it ready for heat racing. Also a dead boat is a hazard on the race course and a small one that is hard to see increases the risk. Resulting in a better chance of your boat getting whacked as well as damaging other boats.

If your thinking record ovals than pray for light winds and your good to go. I think the P-mono SAW record is held by a 26 inch Delta Force hull.

I'm so behind the power curve!!! I plan on bringing three new boats to Franklin. None has touched the water yet. The mono is ready. The JAE is still waiting for new Castle Ice controller and the sport hydro is half way done. :crying:

Meniscus
03-16-2011, 12:22 AM
I was just curious about the Eco hulls and how the outer sides would be judged, specifically if they would be considered "wings".

I understand the keeping it real concept. My No Step 1 is 24". It can handle the speeds and chop, my only concern is hooking although I've never seen mine do it. I'd never consider SAW with that hull, at least not this year. It would need a lot of fine tuning to get to the 65mph mark. It has very low lift and could possibly do it, but it's not worth wasting anyone's valuable time on the water. Rather, my main goal with running the NS1 is to make certain Chuck and the other local guys have enough FE racers for the P-Mono class.

I will not be going for any SAW this year. I don't have the hulls or anything tuned to the caliber needed.

I am planning to go after records for:

N-Hydro either 1/4 or 1/3 mile oval with a secret rigger no one knows about.
N-Sport Hydro 1/4 or 1/3 mile oval with my amended Viper (should cruise at 58mph on straights).
P-Hydro both 1/4 and 1/3 mile oval with my well tested rigger (approx 67-68 on straights).

The real question is if I have time to step up before Franklin. I know there's a lot of good racers out there that are gunning for several of these classes. We'll see what works at the end of the day. :popcorn2:

hazegry
03-16-2011, 11:08 PM
I am tired so this is short eco bottom
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/hazegry/boats/SSC_0065.jpg

Meniscus
03-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I wonder what that motor is....43217....probably too small to do anything :wink:

hazegry
03-17-2011, 05:40 PM
we could paint some cool stuff on that ben. I got my IMPBA card and my sons card today!

carlcisneros
03-18-2011, 10:56 PM
REMINDER<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dit. 12 meeting 26 March at Anna's Restaurant in Mechanicsville.

My twin 45" Insane mono is just about done.

Mike, will work on your props this weekend. also got a few others you can try out as wll

Carl

Chilli
03-19-2011, 12:38 AM
No rush Carl. Putting a little paint on the JAE this weekend. Just enough to be able to see it. Got my turn fin. All I need is the Controller and I'm ready to hit the water.

carlcisneros
03-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Mike;
props are done.

fired up the twin t600s today for the first time TOGETHER.

all I can say is SSSSSSSHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Chilli
03-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks Carl!!! What a beautiful weekend and I've been stuck inside for days sick with the flu. :ThumbsDown01: I feel like crap but that didnt keep me from working on the boats. Don't know if my cough is from the flu or from paint and epoxy fumes. LOL I put a little color on the JAE. The boat looks like a Coast Guard Helicoper. The Insane sport hydro is just about done. Just need to finish up the steering linkage and that's it. I tell you what, I'm sick of building boats and am ready to hit the pond!

How about a Test'n Tune on April 2nd??

carlcisneros
03-20-2011, 12:05 AM
we can check with tracy at the meeting next Sat.

hazegry
03-21-2011, 08:23 AM
hey mike can you look at the hull bottom of the eco I posted above and tell us if its a legal p mono boat

don ferrette
03-21-2011, 08:43 AM
hey mike can you look at the hull bottom of the eco I posted above and tell us if its a legal p mono boatUnfortunately that hull is not a legal mono hull due to the stepped bottom.

hazegry
03-21-2011, 08:47 AM
thats what I thought Thanks don its still a fun little boat to take to the lake and a good way to get the young kids hooked.

Chilli
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm glad Don chimed in on that one Jason.:smile:

Chilli
03-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Well guys, just got back from the District meeting. There was some spirited debate today (not related to FEs) but it's all good and this is what I have to report.

The Chesapeake pond is secured and the pond next to Indian River HS will continue to be used......however access will be done from the other end of the pond. So we don't have to worry about the school board any more. Also the parking situation will be much better. So congrats to all you ODMBA members!!!

The Baltimore Club retains the Greenbrier Park Pond. They got the park service to open up the big end of the lake for us which gives us deeper water, makes a much safer access to the water (no slippery hill) and guarantees no swimmers will be allowed to enter the water during a race weekend. The Baltimore Club is also working on a promising new site in Laurel Maryland. This may end up being a great venue with support from local businesses and community involvement. We're hoping for a Scale Masters race in the fall at this site once all the paperwork is complete. Scale Masters would include classes that resemble real race boats such as tunnel, sport hydro, offshore and thunderboats. I'm sure Don and I will work on trying to ensure we have some FE classes but it's ultimately up to the host club.

Here is the 2011 D12 Race Schedule

District Points Races
April 29-May 1 R/C Model Boaters of Baltimore - Greenbrier State Park, Boonesboro, MD
May 20-22 Piedmont Triad Prop Twisters - Greensboro, NC
June 10-12 Delmarva Model Boaters - Queenstown, MD
June 24-26 Capitol RC Model Boat Club - Centreville, VA
Aug 26-28 Old Dominion Model Boat Association - Cheaspeake,VA

Other District Races
July 29-31 Chesapeake Gas Clash - Queenstown, MD
Sept 23-25 Scale Masters - Laurel, MD

There were no rule changes that affect FE's. I proposed a size limit on novice class but it didnt fly. You win some, you loose some. There were some class additons and changes and I want to verify I have it right before passing it on to you. So'll as soon as I hear back from Don, I'll post something here.

:rockon2:

Doug Smock
03-26-2011, 09:05 PM
That's good news Mike!!!
D.

carlcisneros
03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Mike;
I remembered one VERY important detail when Tracy and Iwere heading home this afternoon from the meeting.

I POSITIVELY cannot make the Delmarva race.

That is the Saturday my Daughter Graduates from high school.

don ferrette
03-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Actually I also requested each club offer open FE mono and open FE hydro as non Championship classes at the district points series races. If the minimum boat count is made (at least 3 entries per class prior to the race) they will run with the only restriction being a max. of 8S and of course be legal hulls. :cool2:

Chilli
03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Carl, I didnt know you and Tracy had a daughter together.:hide:

Just kidding. No biggie. Family first. I'm scrambling to request leave on some of the race dates. Thanks again for the prop work!!!

Don, Just want to verify all of last years classes/rules remain the same. Open FE mono and Open FE hydro added with 8S max (no points championship).

I believe 1/8th scale FE will be requested by host club on a race by race basis with a three boat minimum.

Open Tunnel will allow FE's with restrictions.

HOTWATER
03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
All great news guys...thanks for the updates (ecspecially the pond confirmations)!!

Ok...looks like i'm gonna have to clear some time on the calendar! Boogity, Boogity!!

Well...here's what I can/can't make...

District Points Races
April 29-May 1 R/C Model Boaters of Baltimore - Greenbrier State Park, Boonesboro, MD - NO :cursing: :crying:
May 13-15 Piedmont Triad Prop Twisters - Greensboro, NC - NO :doh:
June 10-12 Delmarva Model Boaters - Queenstown, MD - YES :buttrock:
June 24-26 Capitol RC Model Boat Club - Centreville, VA - YES :rockon2:
Aug 26-28 Old Dominion Model Boat Association - Cheaspeake,VA - YES :biggrin:

egneg
03-27-2011, 12:33 AM
:thumbup:

Chilli
03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
BTW- Thanks to our district director Mr. Ferrette for getting the additional FE classes. They were his proposal and he did all the lobbying with the various club officers.:bowdown::beerchug:

carlcisneros
03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
If we do not get the required amount in OPEN NITRO MONO or HYDRO and OPEN FE MONO and HYDRO, I don't see why the FE boats can't run with the Nitro boats in their respective classes
(mono/hydro) at our race. and visa-versa

what ya guys think?

Chilli
03-27-2011, 04:20 PM
I dont care as long as I have a place to race. Some of the nitro guys may not feel that way though. I guess we'll play it by ear.

egneg
03-27-2011, 06:11 PM
I think the open classes were for FE boats to run against the larger gas boats - correct me if I am wrong.

HOTWATER
03-27-2011, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Nautiboyz;298798]The Chesapeake pond is secured and the pond next to Indian River HS will continue to be used......however access will be done from the other end of the pond. So we don't have to worry about the school board any more. Also the parking situation will be much better. So congrats to all you ODMBA members!!!

QUOTE]

So, I guess we will not be using the school to park in, or the football field...

Is there a dirt road that comes into the race site? I'm guessing where Ray Hotchkin was parked and setup last year at the end of the site..??

Chilli
03-27-2011, 06:45 PM
I have no idea Kent, but I'm pretty sure Dick said it was on the other side of the pond with much more room for trailers. I'm sure Chuck will let us know when ODMBA has their first outing.

Truthfully Chuck , I also mistakenly thought the proposal was going to combine FE's with open nitro mono and a newly created open nitro hydro class. But the bottom line is we've got two more classes that Don has asked the clubs to add to race flyers. Considering the FE turn out at all but the Chesapeake race was very low, I consider this very generous. The ball is in our court and its time for us to stand on our own merit. If any of us don't like the parity rule for P-mono and spec classes, we can run in the open FE classes and let her rip.....if there are enough entries.

egneg
03-27-2011, 06:46 PM
My guess would be here - but I don't know for sure.

don ferrette
03-27-2011, 07:40 PM
My guess would be here - but I don't know for sure.Actually it is to the right and below the ball field as you look at the pic. Dick Loeb says if they make this happen (it's not 100% yet but very close) there will be about 400 feet on each end for the course. :thumbup1:

don ferrette
03-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I think the open classes were for FE boats to run against the larger gas boats - correct me if I am wrong.Incorrect. They are nitro classes. That is why I lobbied for the open (up to 8S) FE mono and hydro. Now the rest is up to the FE crowd to bring the numbers. I will do my part but I can only speak for myself.

HOTWATER
03-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the pic Chuck and thanks for pointing out the new site Don. I'm really glad something got worked out for ODMBA! Nice job Dick and Tim!!

don ferrette
03-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the pic Chuck and thanks for pointing out the new site Don. I'm really glad something got worked out for ODMBA! Nice job Dick and Tim!!Just remember there is NO RUNNING OF ANY BOATS WHATSOEVER at the ODMBA site for any reason until the club President announces this is 100% finalized. It is very, very close to being there but it ain't done yet.

carlcisneros
03-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Hey Mike and Kent;
at least you wont have to smell the grape flavored fuel I used to run
in my 90 Mono any more. LOL

now you have to put up with the whine of the twin outrunners instead.......

Doug Smock
03-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Hey Mike and Kent;
at least you wont have to smell the grape flavored fuel I used to run
in my 90 Mono any more. LOL

now you have to put up with the whine of the twin outrunners instead.......

:thumbup1::beerchug::wink:

Chilli
03-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Now if we can only do something about Tracy's twin nitro rigger. First you get a double spray of nitro followed by a twin washdown at launch. I do love it though!!!!:buttrock:

moonlighter112
03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
I will let everyone know about ODMBA site soon so stop guessing and we let you know. If everything goes well I want to have the IMPBA FE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP in 2012, this year at the dist race more F/E classes to come. Keep your fingers crossed. I also wanted at least a Q set up for open tunnel, I really wanted OPEN TUNNEL to be OPEN

HOTWATER
03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Carl, I will bring you some grape juice to drink before you run the twin FE...lol!

Wow....The IMPBA FE World Championships in 2012 at Chesapeake!! I'm definately crossing my fingers for that as well!!

Meniscus
03-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm down for open hydro. I didn't see the schedule for ODMBA races. Did I miss something?

If I understand right, open FE hydro = any hydro or rigger, any size, any motor, any ESC, up to 8s, but under 20lbs.

Has anyone considered the trash on that side of the lake? I visited that side a year ago and found a lot of bags, etc. If there's a cleanup day, I'd like to participate. I have a 16' canoe, one 10' sit-on-top kayak, and two 10' sit-in kayaks I can bring all in one trip with the truck. I have all the life vests etc. and will make all available if someone will let me know when the cleanup day is.

I'm going to assume that it will likely be the same day that the buoys are moved and surveyed. Will the course remain the same size?

Chilli
03-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Ben, Just a reminder that the classes I listed are for District races only. ODMBA has thier own classes and Dick is very flexible as he tries to get as many people on the pond as possible. ODMBA usually releases club info via a facebook account and a email list. You can PM Dick here "Moonlighter112" or email him at loeb112@aol.com to get on the email list and to join the club if you want to run with them. Other than trying to promote the club, I try to stay out of their business.

As for the Open FE Mono and Nitro classes at the district level.... If it fits in an IMPBA N, P Q or S class it's legal. Size limits do apply based on power classification. For examply you cant have a 4S powered 35 inch mono because the max size for P mono is 34 inches. If it's not a legal mono, it goes in the hydro class. That includes riggers, cats, sport hydros and outboard tunnels.

:beerchug:

Meniscus
03-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks. I guess I was confused. Thanks for the contact info. I'll have to opt for the email list since I'm not on Facebook due to clearance.

Chilli
03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
I refuse to join facebook... LOL But you can still check out whats on the ODMBA page.

don ferrette
03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
If it's not a legal mono, it goes in the hydro class. That includes riggers, cats, sport hydros and outboard tunnels.It's up to 8S and be a legal boat in the FE class it would normally run in.

HOTWATER
03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
I refuse to join facebook... LOL

LOL! You sound like me Mike! I tell everyone that THIS is my "facebook"!

carlcisneros
03-30-2011, 01:43 PM
here is our race entry form for the race in June.

hope this works,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:confused2::confused2:

just open it up, print the form, fill it out and send it back with payment.

Chilli
03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
LOL! You sound like me Mike! I tell everyone that THIS is my "facebook"!Yep, If they don't want to run boats, I don't want them to find me. My sis insists on showing me pics of my old friends from HS. :eek: I'm sure they would have the same reaction if they saw a pic of me.

Nice job on the flyer Carl. You were right about the weather forecast this weekend.:ThumbsDown01:

egneg
03-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I joined facebook just to see the ODMBA site. I then found family and friends - some that I haven't seen in 25 - 30 years. Not all were happy to hear from me though. One guy I went to high school with dropped off my friends list after I asked him what happened to his hair.

Chilli
03-30-2011, 05:08 PM
:rofl:

HOTWATER
03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
:rofl::rofl:.........:beerchug:

carlcisneros
03-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Oh gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chilli
03-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Carolina Showdown Flyer is up. They moved it back a week. It will be held the weekend of May 20-22.

I'm going to have to miss this one due to family obligations that weekend.

Meniscus
03-31-2011, 10:08 PM
OK, can somebody please tell me if I have to pre-register for Franklin time trials and what the cost is?

Thanks!

Chilli
03-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Ben, Event info is in the March Roostertails on page 47. No preregistration. I'm sure Don will see this and give us the low down. I plan on contacting Don or Kentley a day or two before the event to see what time they are planning on setting up and how long they will be there on Friday. I probably wont arrive till early evening on Friday.

Looks like we're going to have a pretty good turn FE turn out. I think we've got you, Don, my son and I, Dick Loeb, Dennis Hayden and maybe Mike Luszcz. If the weather is good, were going to put a hurt'n on Mr Smock our IMPBA records director.

Doug Smock
04-01-2011, 12:01 AM
They worked me over good last year, 42 records were set I think. Go get it done fellas, I can handle the paperwork!!
It only gets tough when the record trials are back to back. It can be tough getting them updated in between depending on my life or lack thereof.:laugh:
Good luck guys!!
D.

Meniscus
05-14-2011, 12:11 AM
OK, just asking for down the line, but a Canard, if it resembles a a real prototype, is legal for Sport Hydro class. The question I have is what class it falls under if it is not modeled after an existing prototype full size? Hydro?

Chilli
05-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Under the old FE Sport Hydro rules it looks like Canards were legal if they were modeled after a prototype. The latest FE rules are located on the IMPBA web site in the FE section of the Forum. The sport hydro rules are located on page J-17 and it clearly states no canarads. But it could run as hydro since it has more than one running surface.

Man you ask some hard questions Ben. I know you've got some legal race boats. I saw them at ovals.:smile: I hope you're going to come back out in the fall!!!

Meniscus
05-14-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm planning to, and not with 3rd backup boats either. I'm also looking at 2 of the SAW records. The testing begins now.

Chilli
05-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Cool! I'm going to do ovals again in the fall but I have plans for SAWS in the spring.