PDA

View Full Version : Using 6.6v LiFePO4 with 6v Servo

domp444
01-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I purchased a Hyperion 2100mah LiFePO4 pack, and I'm wondering if I can use it with my servo without having to use a voltage regulator. I have the Hitec HS-7955TG V2, and it's good for 5v/6v, and the LiFePO4 pack is 6.6v. I've read online that some people use that setup without a regulator and it works just fine. Just wanted to know if any of you have experience with my setup?

sailr
01-06-2011, 08:16 AM
NO! Ask me how I know! Use a cheap UBEC between the battery and the receiver and all is good. Hobbyking has one for about $6 that works great. I am using LiFEPO4's in all my boats and airplanes now, using those UBEC's. Works like a champ.

7500RPM
01-06-2011, 08:57 AM
NO! Ask me how I know! Use a cheap UBEC between the battery and the receiver and all is good. Hobbyking has one for about $6 that works great. I am using LiFEPO4's in all my boats and airplanes now, using those UBEC's. Works like a champ.

I beg to differ, just charge it up the night before use and let it sit until next day then use it, no problem, used all last year without a hitch!

sailr
01-06-2011, 09:18 AM
After 'eating' two servos in a row, I used the UBEC to regulate and never a problem since. If it works good for you without regulating, then go for it. I regulate regardless as a safety measure. It ain't worth putting a $1000+ airplane in the ground because somebody 'thinks' it's OK. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm just glad I discovered it in a boat! Just lost steering. No biggie.

Like sex without a condom. Maybe you'll get lucky and then maybe not! Not worth the risk!

domp444
01-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I guess I'll use one just to be on the safe side. It would suck not being able to turn a 3k+ boat at 80mph, haha. Thanks for your replies :) I wasn't sure cause I read about some people not using them so I thought it wasn't a problem, but I guess you're right Jim.