PDA

View Full Version : 5 mm connecters

slowroll
12-30-2010, 11:17 AM
I understand that the 5mm batterie connecters are better than the dean plugs. But i see diferent ways that people are using them. For instance some use them with a blue plastic cover that the wires and plugs mate, and you push them together, then i see peaple just using the connecters without the covers and just schrinkwrapped? What is the best and safest way and which is the right way ?? Thanks for all input! :help:

Diesel6401
12-30-2010, 02:29 PM
I understand that the 5mm batterie connecters are better than the dean plugs. But i see diferent ways that people are using them. For instance some use them with a blue plastic cover that the wires and plugs mate, and you push them together, then i see peaple just using the connecters without the covers and just schrinkwrapped? What is the best and safest way and which is the right way ?? Thanks for all input! :help:

The 5mm with the blue cover on them are called EC5 connectors. Much MUCH better then deans but are safe in terms that it is impossible to connect the battery to itself, downfall you need extra wire jumpers and plugs to complete a series circuit and additional plug connections for a parallel circuit. http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9194

I myself use 5.5mm bullets. Easy to connect series circuit without any additional jumpers or plug connections and easy to make a parallel adaptor just by soldering bullets together with no wires, downfall it is VERY easy in to connect a battery to itself when their spagehtti wires all over the place inside a boat. What I do is connect one batt to esc negative first then the other batt to postive on the esc then the batteries together last. That makes sure I don't plug a battery into itself. Whatever works for you. Nice part about the 5.5mm is you just buy a crap load and use them on all the connections like the motor/esc wires as well as esc power wires. With the ec5 you would need ec5 plugs for esc power and it's good to use 5.5mm bullets on the motor/esc wires so you would need those as well. http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2087

End of day, both are good and much MUCH better then the deans. It comes down to what works BEST for YOU! Reguardless of what you choose for your esc power connections, you should still upgrade the motor/esc connections from the small bullets to at least 5.5mm bullets.

Boomer
12-30-2010, 07:43 PM
What to you put over them once you complete the soldering?
Boomer

Diesel6401
12-30-2010, 08:04 PM
What to you put over them once you complete the soldering?
Boomer

Heat shrink over the 5.5bullets. The EC5 go into the blue plug. Or am I reading the question wrong?