PDA

View Full Version : Classic Hydros Shovelnose

H&MWill
12-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey guys I got this on the swap shop a while back. I just put the SV motor in it. It will be run on 12 cells. I am waiting for the SV ESC which I just ordered from Steven here at OSE. We have never run one of these but I am having a hard time getting the CG behind the sponsons. Any ideas? Also what prop should I start out with? Thanks guys.

G Doggett
12-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Good swap , these are great little hydros.
If you set everything up 'by the book' like my Miss Bardahl below, the c/g should end up about 1 inch behind the sponsons which works fine.
It should fly with an SV motor as they are not slow with an SSI.
A good prop to start with is the X642.
Have fun.
Graham.

H&MWill
12-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Hey guys just got everything in from Steven today. I am gonna try it out in the morning if its not snowing. Then if all is well wrap it up and give it to my dad for Christmas. Man its a tight fit with 12 cells.

ace028
12-15-2007, 02:09 AM
Hey guys just got everything in from Steven today. I am gonna try it out in the morning if its not snowing. Then if all is well wrap it up and give it to my dad for Christmas. Man its a tight fit with 12 cells.

Is that carbon fiber touching the cells? It may not matter but in my losi graphite buggy you had to put a protective film on the graphite so the cells wouldn't touch and short the batteries out. I think graphite is similar to cf? but I'm not sure.

SJFE
12-15-2007, 09:35 AM
CF is conductive..insulate thos cells. Good eye Ace

H&MWill
12-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Sounds good thanks guys. Didnt know that.

Rex R
12-15-2007, 02:01 PM
cf = graphite(close enough untill some one comes out with diamond fiber) just for grins I tried an ohm meter on some cf strip I have, 11 ohms per foot. for a low power application one could use a cf hull as a common ground/bus.

ace028
12-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I just don't want to see you drive it and have bad stuff happen, I know batteries arn't cheap, even the cheap ones get spendy after you buy a few packs.

H&MWill
12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah man Ace they sure do I appreciate you letting me know. I took care of that and took the hydro out for a run. It is only 34 degrees here and windy. The water had some nice chop on it. I walked down to an inlet that is kinda out of the wind still pretty rough though. It hopped right up on plane and I must say I was pretty shocked by its speed and handling. It will definately do better on smoother water but it was rollin pretty good. I did stick it nose first off one roller it was completely gone for about 3 seconds then came back up and got right back on plane. I didnt tweak anything today too cold and rough. When I was done nothing hot at all and no water inside even after going under. All in all pretty happy. Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Now its time to crack a beer and attempt my first scale driver paint job. Will

Eyekandyboats
12-15-2007, 04:00 PM
cf = graphite(close enough untill some one comes out with diamond fiber) just for grins I tried an ohm meter on some cf strip I have, 11 ohms per foot. for a low power application one could use a cf hull as a common ground/bus.

Touche ` :)