PDA

View Full Version : Properchopper's Herb Stewart Tunnel Hull build

properchopper
12-27-2010, 03:03 PM
I bought this hull almost two years ago and I've stared at it on the shelf all this time wondering how to go forward ; P-Spec OPC or P-OPC NAMBA SAW record challenger. Turns out that Mr. Stewart, who unfortunately left us a while ago, still holds IMPBA 1/16 mile S and T SAW records with a similar hull, and a certain Mr. Smock tells me that he's kicking butt with his. Sooo, with both applications in mind coupled with the knowledge that P-Spec OPC's are graduating from the rather fast, but racewater challanged VS-1 sized hulls [like my avatar boat] to bigger platforms , the decision was to first rig it for P-Spec OPC in AZ this coming February, than bolt on a biggie from my SAW motor stash for the next NAMBA straightlines. Here's the raw hull - an interesting design, 29.5", with asymmetrical sponsons and solidly crafted :

properchopper
12-27-2010, 03:09 PM
First I built a setup board. A necessary step to line up the lower unit. Building the box was tricky; the sides were curved. Evercoat Formula 27 made great fillets. For good measure, I epoxied the seams.

Rumdog
12-27-2010, 03:13 PM
i like it tony. what will you use for a canopy?

properchopper
12-27-2010, 03:14 PM
A Stiletto cowl was a direct fit, but I filled in the antenna slot. To allow clearance for the motor wires, I opened up the port in the back and reinforced the opening with some ply. ( This was to bite me in the butt later :eek:)

Rumdog
12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Too cool. so, what are the S&T saw records?
did you offset the lower at all/

properchopper
12-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Getting the steering linkage perfectly lined up [ I'm from the "servo in the back" school of steering linkage] was a beeatch; turns out the box was not centered on the sponsons by a tad; but to use solid linkage rods the pass-throughs and servo alignment has to be perfect and preferably with the rods stone parallel and well centered on the pass-through tubes. I used a Turnigy digital coreless metal gear ball bearing 165 oz/in servo with a re-worked heavy duty servo arm from Tower Hobbies. Took a looong time & a few transom pieces to get it right. On the third try my CF steering arm lined up & I had to countersink the rod clamps for perfect alignment. The transom piece has stainless blind nuts secured with screws ( I hate it when the bolts rust to the blind nuts and the whole tamale rotates after they're buried in the back.) Then siliconed to keep water from seeping through. The blue anodized wire pass-through tubes were made from the tail boom of an E-Flite Blade SR - (don't ask !) 5.5's just pass through & then wires sealed with shrink.

properchopper
12-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Since I wanted to use a speed control capable of handling a bigger motor in the future, I came up with a simple [but brilliant if I must say-:blush:] way to squeeze a T-180 in - check it out - no more wires front-to back and cooling lines sticking out sideways :thumbup: Some 90 deg fittings from Kintec and viola !! ( rigger builders take note !!)

Since I intend to use a Futaba radio after testing, the Rx box is isolated from the battery compartment with labeled servo extensions siliconed through a bulkhead, hopefully keeping water from kaboshing the $89 Rx. I made an antenna mount from plexi & tapped it so the antenna screws in. The Rx antenna feeds easily into the tube. Epoxied some wire holders to route the wires away from the battery.

Finding a spot to rout the SC cooling line in was challanging ; I wanted to keep things short & neat. The outside return line goes through the side of the box & out the cowl (pictured later). The O.S. lower has two water pickups- I got it from Mike L. (Cybercrxt) that way & kind'a like the idea.

Added sponson drain plugs on either side just in case ( last picture, lower right of photo). Inserted aluminum tubes for tight plug fit (UL-1 plugs). The sponsons were stuffed with pool noodle flotation; 'Ya never know !

properchopper
12-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Another picture of the servo/Sc. Tight fit - I truly sympathyze with rigger builders :Peace_Sign:

Oh, I was feeling "decorative" that day so I put some red shrink on the servo rods; Whatever !

properchopper
12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
A couple of hours in my improvised spray booth { my landlady's garden shed :eek:} and some nice silver metalflake paint and a little clearcoat. {I hope she'll like her "sparkle-in-the-dark" lawnmower caused from the overspray} :doh:
And any old Disco devotees will love the way my beard sparkles in the moonlight :laugh:

As a tribute to Mr. Jordan :hug1:, the appropriate driver decal . (OK, it was just for the picture, not to worry , Darin)

Oh, the number Five is to commemorate this as my fifth tunnel build. Not an easy one at all [ which is an intense understatement], and as a result of the duress I suffered getting this critter nailed you can address all correspondance to the SoCal Home For Terminally Bewildered Tunnel Fabricators. I'll answer all inquiries when they cut back on my meds and remove the restraints !!!

Rumdog
12-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Me likey!!

hazegry
12-27-2010, 05:01 PM
lol how much silver paint do you have I polished this old warship up for the upcoming season
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/hazegry/ts2m.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/hazegry/ts2mm.jpg

properchopper
12-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Me likey!!

Thanks, Ryan. Should be a good boat. And yup, I did get her wet at Joe's yesterday. He may post a short vid. Short, because, while all signs indicated a nice handling rig with great potential, the :censored: motor wires on the old test motor had too radical a bend to duck under the canopy and :flashfire: I was encouraged by the one lap I did, and have some more motors (UL-1's) on the way.
Stay tuned :thumbup1:

properchopper
12-27-2010, 05:05 PM
lol how much silver paint do you have I polished this old warship up for the upcoming season
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/hazegry/ts2m.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/hazegry/ts2mm.jpg

Nice !!! :rockon2: Glad to see my old "Jetstar" is in good hands :thumbup1:

That tunnel has quite a pedigree : Originally UbHauled Jan's, then Darin got it & started the sponson mod, then on to SJFE, then to me to finish the sponsons, I raced it at the '08 FE Nat's, then on to I forgot who, then You !! Two anomalies in the graphics : One star accidentally upside down, and the Japanese kill flags under the canopy are WW II, but the Star with the red-striped side bars didn't appear until the Korean war. Quite some history. Still a capable winner !!!

Ub Hauled
12-27-2010, 06:26 PM
SHe is a good hull... I had loads of fun with her...

hazegry
12-27-2010, 06:42 PM
and now a navy squid owns her. I was going to repaint her in red and white as I am not much for the military theme on my boats (makes me think of work lol) But I thought it added character to it shes gonna have a go at the oval record next year and after that we will see what happens from there. I think Chucky Cheese had her I know she was in HI

RandyatBBY
12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Looking cool Tony

BakedMopar
12-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Very nice Tony.

Chuck E Cheese
12-27-2010, 11:16 PM
yep, i sent it to danny for you. she saw quite a bit of action on a sv set here.. it was my experimental tunnel. i wasnt convinced that the motor would not short out in the salt water
chopper - watch out with the wires coming straight up through the alum tubes. make sure you have plenty slack there. i burned up a 1515 because over time the wire shield got gouged from turning back and forth. it shorted out on the brass tube i was using and pooffff.
otherwise that is a great looking build (as are all of yours)

rearwheelin
12-28-2010, 12:54 AM
What a great job Toney , that truelly is a good job. Sorry to bother you with me dumb servo question...lol

properchopper
12-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks, Ryan. Should be a good boat. And yup, I did get her wet at Joe's yesterday. He may post a short vid. Short, because, while all signs indicated a nice handling rig with great potential, the :censored: motor wires on the old test motor had too radical a bend to duck under the canopy and :flashfire: I was encouraged by the one lap I did, and have some more motors (UL-1's) on the way.
Stay tuned :thumbup1:

Here's the short vid. Smallish test prop / speed will be bumped up [hopefully]when tuning resumes with new (spec) motor. Likely will not end up as fast as the VS-1's and others, but the plan is to out-survive smaller/faster boats in racewater. THEN with a P-class SAW setup it should really rock. :buttrock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqdX5gK0pKo&

Monstermanhbf
12-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Looking good properchopper!

Brushless55
12-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Here's the short vid. Smallish test prop / speed will be bumped up [hopefully]when tuning resumes with new (spec) motor. Likely will not end up as fast as the VS-1's and others, but the plan is to out-survive smaller/faster boats in racewater. THEN with a P-class SAW setup it should really rock. :buttrock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqdX5gK0pKo&

that looks fast to me! :rockon2:

marko500
12-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Tony, on the T-180 ESC which 90 degree water fittings from Kintec did you use. Also do the old ones pull out or are they threaded? This might be just the solution for fitting that ESC in my hydro better. Your boat looks great! A tunnel is definitely on my future build list.

Mark

properchopper
12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Tony, on the T-180 ESC which 90 degree water fittings from Kintec did you use. Also do the old ones pull out or are they threaded? This might be just the solution for fitting that ESC in my hydro better. Your boat looks great! A tunnel is definitely on my future build list.

Mark

Mark,

On the Kintec site, click cooling, scroll down to the "Banjo fittings". The stock ones unscrew-I used a vice grip. The banjoes thread right in, can be pointed in any direction & tightened. O-rings are included. Very slick deal. I fully expect to have a parade in my honor for coming up with this mod :just-kidding:

Before you start a tunnel build, make sure your medical insurance includes in-patient psychiatric care - they can be that frustrating to build :cursing:

Doug Smock
12-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Nice work Tony! Ole Herb would be proud of that!!:smile:

Doug:beerchug:

properchopper
12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Nice work Tony! Ole Herb would be proud of that!!:smile:

Doug:beerchug:

Thanks, Doug. I'd like to add another trophy to his legacy when the SAWs come around :smile:

marko500
12-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Tony, your idea on the 90 degree fittings on the T180 esc works like a champ! I had a couple fittings in my toolbox that worked. So here's your parade-
:bowdown::tiphat::tiphat::banana::banana::bounce:
Mark

BILL OXIDEAN
12-29-2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks, Doug. I'd like to add another trophy to his legacy when the SAWs come around :smile:

Hey Big boy, didn't know you were so good with your hands.. :bounce:

Nice Tunnel build buddy sweet paint scheme..