PDA

View Full Version : Got the Spartan, Can't run it yet, but some first impressions...

Checkmateguy01
12-26-2010, 07:46 PM
As of Friday, Christmas Eve, i recieved my Spartan from Tower Hobbies. I thought i'd share some first thoughts on the boat, even to there is no non-frozen water anywere near me for a maiden voyage. Well, first thing, this boat is a monster, big deep, sharp V-bottom, wide, and looks really good! I think this boat will handle some bumpy water with ease, which is exactly what i personally am looking for. As for the ABS hull, i know most think it's a piece of crap (with out ever handling one :olleyes:) but i gotta say i think it feels plenty strong enough. It's not flimsy feeling at all, and true maybe it will shatter to pieces when it runs into someones bayliner but i'd rather have that happen than have to pay for someones real boat anyways!!! If you hit something hard enough to destroy this hull, i highly doubt that a glass hull would fair much better, unless it's big gasser hull and that's comparing apples to oranges. Anyway's, the rigging is very nice and clean, and the hardware looks great! The only bad part i see, however, is yes keeping water out will be a pain. The hatch is not really designed to be easily taped down, but the Traxxas electronics are supposed to be water proof so we'll see how that goes. I've had all my batts. soaked and they continue to work fine, the SV27 ends up on it's back every now and then, and has been flooded, so i'm not to concerened water intrussion. Over all, sitting on it's stand in my living room, it's a very impressive looking boat, and for those of us looking for simple plug and play fun at the lake this is will be a great boat! I've built many boats in my day, but i don't think there is anything wrong with buying an RTR just to save some time. Here's some pics of the boat, enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/CheckmateFever/spartan6.jpg?t=1293410197
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/CheckmateFever/spartan7.jpg?t=1293410197
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/CheckmateFever/spartan9.jpg?t=1293410197
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/CheckmateFever/spartan8.jpg?t=1293410197

Alexgar
12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
can you pull the pod and take a couple pics of it?

jac4412
12-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Well it looks sharp!

RIPFENCE
12-26-2010, 07:51 PM
is the drive adjustable?...i do like the paint scheme on the boat

forescott
12-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Can the spartan logos be removed?

antslake
12-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Water is freezing up around here too, but I think I found a stream with a section deep enough to run in, you might try the same. The streams don't freeze as easy.

Checkmateguy01
12-26-2010, 08:14 PM
RIPFENCE, yes the strut is adjustable! Seems to have pretty good travel too. Do i like the paint sceme? Well, yes and no. I do like it, but honestly i would much prefer a bare white hull so i could do my own paint job!! It's looks good, so i'll probably leave it alone, at least for a while. I have a blue and white Checkmate 1:1 boat which is why i went with the blue version Spartan.

Forescott, yeah i think the Spartan logos will come off with a little work, they are just decals, the rest of the graphics are molded in to the plastic.

I probably won't take the boat apart anytime soon, it's kinda depressing to work on a boat when there is at least 3 months to go before it'll see water. I have a river that runs just down the road from me that is not completly forzen, but too many "ice bergs" floating down to worry about, plus if something did go wrong i've got no good way to retrieve it!

Dangerous_Toys
12-26-2010, 08:29 PM
How long do you think it will be before you tear out the electronics and install your own setup so you can get some real speed? I believe they stated 30mph out of the box and 50mph with some mods? What are they really offering at Traxxas for $400 of plastic? Can you let us know your opinion from your findings now that you have one before you?

Checkmateguy01
12-26-2010, 08:50 PM
How long do you think it will be before you tear out the electronics and install your own setup so you can get some real speed? I believe they stated 30mph out of the box and 50mph with some mods? What are they really offering at Traxxas for $400 of plastic? Can you let us know your opinion from your findings now that you have one before you?

I will probably never tear out the stock electronics, that's not why i bought it. Traxxas claims 30+ with the supplied 3000mah 7-cell NIMH's, 50+ on 6s lipo still remaining completly stock, no mods needed. Honestly, if it'll run mid 30's on good NIMH's, i'll be very happy! And if i go to, let's say 4s lipo and run upper 30's or maybe 40, bonus! I am not a serious racer anymore, been there, did that for many years, now i just run on the weekends on a populated 22 mile long lake, not a little pond! I don't get very much glass smooth water, if it'll handle some chop that's what i want. I've run my SV27, and 30" Dumas v-bottom up on the lake alot, the Dumas handles some bumpy water pretty good, the SV27 not so much. Also, i didn't pay $400 bucks either, Tower has some pretty good discounts and the shipping was free!!

Dangerous_Toys
12-26-2010, 08:55 PM
What setup is in it? Is it like a vxl? How many amp esc?

kjohnsiii
12-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Sounds like you need to take some time off and take a road trip to Florida!

Nice Boat

Fluid
12-26-2010, 09:11 PM
For those who don't want to read the Tower site:

FEATURES: Hull: 36" (91.4cm) super rigid deep-V configuration
- Drive System: 0.150" (3.8mm) diameter cable with blue anodized aluminum rudder, rudder support and drive strut, stainless steel turn fins, trim tabs and hardware
- Propeller: Two-blade composite 42x59mm
- Motor: Traxxas Velineon 540 XL brushless with high-flow water cooling jacket
- Radio: Traxxas TQ-2.4GHz with Traxxas Link automatic model recognition software and waterproof high-torque steering servo
- Electronic Speed Control: Traxxas VXL-6s marine ESC, water-cooled and waterproof
- Batteries: Two Traxxas 7-cell flat configuration with Traxxas high-current connectors (electronics are compatible with 3S LiPo packs-not included)
- SPECS: Hull Length: 36.5" (927mm)
Overall Length: 40.8" (1037mm)
Beam (Width): 9.5" (243mm)
Weight: 72oz (2041g)
Dead Rise Angle: 26°
Input Voltage: 7-18 NiMH Cells, 2-6 LiPo Cells (8.4V-22.2V DC)

RIPFENCE
12-26-2010, 09:22 PM
the dead rise is interesting at 26 degrees..a conventional vee is 24 degrees so this may be decent in the rougher stuff

Checkmateguy01
12-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah, i would love to take a trip to Florida and give this boat a run, it's killin me just looking at it!!

Dangerous_Toys: It has a 540xl 1600kv motor (re-branded Faigeo i believe?) and a new Velineon VXL-6s ESC, but they don't say what amp. I think the rumors are like 80 or 100 amp, but i'm not sure. I doubt i'll ever get up to the 6s set-up, it would fun no doubt, but not when you have neighbors, docks, and boats/lifts to worry about, plus less than glass smooth water, it's just not safest idea in my opinion. That's one of the reasons why i haven't gone the big scale gasser route, or run any of my old nitro boats up there instead of the brushless electrics.

roadrashracing
12-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Its a nice looking boat, just looks like a complete pain if you would want rework the inside, I was thinking about getting a bear hull and go from there , but not any more, if the hull was all flat iunside it would be good for a project.

JMSCARD
12-26-2010, 10:55 PM
I will probably never tear out the stock electronics, that's not why i bought it. Traxxas claims 30+ with the supplied 3000mah 7-cell NIMH's, 50+ on 6s lipo still remaining completly stock, no mods needed. Honestly, if it'll run mid 30's on good NIMH's, i'll be very happy! And if i go to, let's say 4s lipo and run upper 30's or maybe 40, bonus! I am not a serious racer anymore, been there, did that for many years, now i just run on the weekends on a populated 22 mile long lake, not a little pond! I don't get very much glass smooth water, if it'll handle some chop that's what i want. I've run my SV27, and 30" Dumas v-bottom up on the lake alot, the Dumas handles some bumpy water pretty good, the SV27 not so much. Also, i didn't pay $400 bucks either, Tower has some pretty good discounts and the shipping was free!!

Jason where you live at in NY? I live in the center of Vermont in Montpelier, about a 35 minute ride to Burlington where I bring my boats every once in awhile to run on Lake Champlain at a buddies camp... I also race my pan cars occasionally in Plattsburgh NY...

Jason (JMSCARD)

tiqueman
12-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah, i would love to take a trip to Florida and give this boat a run, it's killin me just looking at it!!

Send it down, Ill run it :bounce:

Checkmateguy01
12-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Jason where you live at in NY? I live in the center of Vermont in Montpelier, about a 35 minute ride to Burlington where I bring my boats every once in awhile to run on Lake Champlain at a buddies camp... I also race my pan cars occasionally in Plattsburgh NY...

Jason (JMSCARD)

Hey Jason, i'm way down state from Lake Champlain!! I'm down around the NY-PA border, but i do most of r/c boating up on Keuka Lake, one of the Finger Lakes.

Dangerous_Toys
12-26-2010, 11:43 PM

Dangerous_Toys: It has a 540xl 1600kv motor (re-branded Faigeo i believe?) and a new Velineon VXL-6s ESC, but they don't say what amp. I think the rumors are like 80 or 100 amp, but i'm not sure. I doubt i'll ever get up to the 6s set-up, it would fun no doubt, but not when you have neighbors, docks, and boats/lifts to worry about, plus less than glass smooth water, it's just not safest idea in my opinion. That's one of the reasons why i haven't gone the big scale gasser route, or run any of my old nitro boats up there instead of the brushless electrics.

Traxxas must be keeping the motor KV and esc Amperage a secret...:spy:

Snowride
12-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Glad to see you got your boat. :rockon2: Seems like most of us are slowly starting to get them. :banana: Can't wait for some posts about actual handeling, speeds and run times on various cells. Personally I will be running 3S at 6000mah. Hoping it will produce around 8mins or so. I know I will not be able to run mine until April at the earliest. :crying: Have fun and enjoy.

sjslhill
12-27-2010, 10:06 AM
That's a very nice looking boat, these RTR boats get people into the hobby and I like Traxxas products. It seems they are not very friendly to people like OSE though. I have 3 Summit trucks and they are very nice. I just might order this Spartan, Tower still has that $60 off and free shipping.

Kinda shocked at the forzen water with all the global warming.......it's frozen here in Ky as well, has been for weeks.

RIPFENCE
12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
i think that a lot of guys on ose including myself sometimes think its better to spend the 400.00 on hull/motors..but that is expected when you have racers and guys who enjoy installing components and having more control over top speed, handling, components...etc etc..i do agree that getting an rtr is the way to get to know electrics but the new people need to be aware of the overexpectations that seemingly flows with the hype an marketing techinques...i will say this though..i am glad the quality of the rtr's is getting better and i think the manufacturers are listening..its places like ose where the real testing happens..and btw enjoy the spartans

Snowride
12-27-2010, 10:29 AM
This $400 keeps popping up but the reality is most of us, including myself have paid $325 delivered. You have to also keep in mind the battery packs and the RX radio alone are worth over $100 so basically we get the complete boat for around $225. The whole package seems to be a great deal for someone who is just starting like most of us here who have ordered one. If you are well into the hobby already, the radio and batteries are a waste of money but then again could be sold on ebay for a little cash back. Again, for the beginners it comes with a great warranty in the USA and take a look at this manual which is actually very well written compared to some of the chinese translated illegible crap found on most stuff today. http://www.traxxas.com/pdfs/5708_manual.pdf

sjslhill
12-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I am in the camp of running a bit slower, longer. Ever see an offshore race live or on TV?

I like the fact that Traxxas is still looking at either NIMH or LiPoly, I still like NIMH in many applications.

that's just me however

Steve

RIPFENCE
12-27-2010, 10:36 AM
i was just responding to the not ose freindly comment thats all...and yes its a good deal for starting out

sjslhill
12-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Traxxas does not give Steve and margins as I understand it.........not a good thing. In batteries A123 expected us to sell A123 cells for $16.50ea and they let people sell them for $6ea on E-bay.

I am done with A123 and their Gov. backing, they have never made a profit either.

RIPFENCE
12-27-2010, 10:40 AM
gotcha..meaning not price freindly too

Diegoboy
12-27-2010, 10:45 AM
This $400 keeps popping up but the reality is most of us, including myself have paid $325 delivered. You have to also keep in mind the battery packs and the RX radio alone are worth over $100 so basically we get the complete boat for around $225. The whole package seems to be a great deal for someone who is just starting like most of us here who have ordered one. If you are well into the hobby already, the radio and batteries are a waste of money but then again could be sold on ebay for a little cash back. Again, for the beginners it comes with a great warranty in the USA and take a look at this manual which is actually very well written compared to some of the chinese translated illegible crap found on most stuff today. http://www.traxxas.com/pdfs/5708_manual.pdf

Tower = $390 (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAAUF**&P=7)

johnf
12-27-2010, 10:49 AM
I believe he means with a membership. You get 60 off orders over 300, and free shipping.

Diegoboy
12-27-2010, 10:50 AM
How much does membership cost?? I know how much, just making a point

sjslhill
12-27-2010, 10:53 AM
010BG that's my code for $60 off over $300

sjslhill
12-27-2010, 10:54 AM
$20? I don't recall

sjslhill
12-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Nope, it was $9.99 for a year and you get it back with free shipping on all ground shipments.

Snowride
12-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Actually I only paid $309 delivered as I was already a member but that deal and price is now gone. Membership is $9.99 which is much less than most places charge for shipping alone and that is good for 1 year.

johnf
12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah for a while they were listed for 370 @ tower. Was a good time to pre order if you were getting one.

Checkmateguy01
12-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Glad to see you got your boat. :rockon2: Seems like most of us are slowly starting to get them. :banana: Can't wait for some posts about actual handeling, speeds and run times on various cells. Personally I will be running 3S at 6000mah. Hoping it will produce around 8mins or so. I know I will not be able to run mine until April at the earliest. :crying: Have fun and enjoy.

Yeah i'm looking foward to hearing how the boat runs myself, i can't believe no one here or on the Traxxas forum has actually run one yet, must be only us up north have recieved them so far lol! I know how ya feel, it's gonna April before i can run mine too...looonnngg winter!!

GeoVW72
12-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Glad to hear that the name logos come off.
any chance you can tell us where the temp sensor on the front of the motor is tied into?

Brushless55
12-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Traxxas must be keeping the motor KV and esc Amperage a secret...:spy:

bro the kv is 1600
and the esc is rated a 80amp

CHKMATE ELUDER
12-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Nice boat CM guy :bounce:

Checkmateguy01
12-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Nice boat CM guy :bounce:

Thanks! Good to see ya over here man! :banana:

Boomer
12-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Any thoughts on Prop upgrades?
Boomer

JackBlack26
12-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Some people are missing the point of this boat. It's made to bring in the huge Traxxas land based R/C followers to the water. It's made to be RTR and not to be ripped apart and re worked. I'm sure it can be done but that's not the purpose of the boat. Love it or hate it it will probably be a huge seller for Traxxas, just like the Slash was when it was released. Traxxas has awesome warranty support and customer service. They cant afford not to. I am in no way a "Traxxas fan-boy" but I owned a 4x4 Slash and they were there every time a rear stub axle broke until they got it right. That earned them my respect and my brand loyalty, though I think their paint scheme is the fuglyest thing EVER!! I would only get one if they ever released a plain white one.

The VXL 3S ESC is rated at 100A continues. I'm sure this one will not be rated at at less. The only thing I would keep an eye out for would be the LVC. The VXL 3S is known for having the LVC malfunction and shut down prematurely. The option was to disable the LiPo cut and run it in NIMH mode or add an external LiPo stop.

I'll Paypal you $40 for shipping to send it to me in Sunny SoCal and I'll get video of it on the water for you then send it back to you:Praying:......:roflol:
:beerchug:

stringfly
01-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Any running reports yet???? Very tempted but need another boat like a hole in the head.....( hey! I got some of those !!:tongue_smilie:)

Stringfly <>+++++

forescott
01-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I got to take a close look at one yesterday at my local hobby shop. It looks ok, not super light like some might think with the abs hull. Seems strong enough though. I like how the graphics are etched into the plastic hull. Kind of a satin looking finish. I like it it's different. Looks like the center pod assembly slides in and out w/the stuffing tube through a plastic or rubber grommet in the transom. I hope this is a tight enough seal to keep water out. Doesn't look like much room in the center pod to upgrade to larger diameter motors like a castle or leopard without cutting into the battery trays. Even then I'm not sure if a larger diameter motor/water jacket will hit the hull bottom. Overall it's a pretty neat-looking boat.

Snowride
01-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Any running reports yet???? Very tempted but need another boat like a hole in the head.....( hey! I got some of those !!:tongue_smilie:)

Stringfly <>+++++

Found this on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M7-WYp0E9M

Brushless55
01-01-2011, 11:09 AM
The VXL 3S ESC is rated at 100A continues. I'm sure this one will not be rated at at less. The only thing I would keep an eye out for would be the LVC. The VXL 3S is known for having the LVC malfunction and shut down prematurely. The option was to disable the LiPo cut and run it in NIMH mode or add an external LiPo stop.

I'm hearing the esc is rated at 80amps

xxxrems38xxx
01-19-2011, 09:23 AM
hi guys,

I know this has nothing to see but are they going to make a spartan in Nitro?

Steven Vaccaro
01-19-2011, 09:44 AM
With the discounts, you guys are buying them for less then I can get them from Great Planes/Tower Hobby.

Brushless55
01-19-2011, 10:32 AM
With the discounts, you guys are buying them for less then I can get them from Great Planes/Tower Hobby.

Wow, that's not much mark up for you then :huh:

Steven Vaccaro
01-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Actually I only paid $309 delivered as I was already a member but that deal and price is now gone. Membership is $9.99 which is much less than most places charge for shipping alone and that is good for 1 year.

He bought it for a better price than I can. I may buy them as a retail customer next time.

Brushless55
01-19-2011, 10:38 AM
He bought it for a better price than I can. I may buy them as a retail customer next time.

I think I got mine for $319.98? :confused2: