PDA

View Full Version : Spartan finally

Snowride
12-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Got a UPS notice from the hobby shop where I purchased my Spartan a few months ago. Delivery tracking says December 24th. :bounce: Unfortunately nobody will be there so I had to call UPS to hold shipment until the 3rd of Jan. Took forever but just confirms they actually did ship and are shipping from Traxxas since Dec 16th. Cheers.

Checkmateguy01
12-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Yup, i just got the call today too, my Spartan will be at my door on friday! Not that it completely makes up for the wait and lost summer but Tower Hobbies upgraded free of charge to 2-day air shipping becuase of the long wait, i think that's pretty good of them to do that considering it was not their fault the boats were on back-order for so long, that was all Traxxas' screw up!! Well, it's on it's way now at least, can't wait to at least see it up close and personal, even tho it'll be a while before it hits the water...

madmat
12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
looks like a cool boat.just saw some pics today. have not kept up on rc boats in a while.have fun with the new boat.

Brushless55
12-22-2010, 07:35 PM
only a few were actually shipped on the 16th, these are like the second shipment

detox
12-22-2010, 07:48 PM
I am glad to see you guys finally getting your Spartan. Because I was really tired of hearing you guys cry.

JackBlack26
12-22-2010, 08:18 PM
To those who ordered the boats but can't run them yet, feel free to reroute them to me in Cali! I'll let you know how they perform:bounce:

I hope you enjoy them when you finally get to get them wet :)

Brushless55
12-25-2010, 10:21 PM
someone claims 20min runs on 6s? :confused2:

jac4412
12-25-2010, 10:24 PM

Noooo way jose. This boat has the reputation of being able to do anything apparently... Must have a nuclear powerplant

Brushless55
12-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Noooo way jose. This boat has the reputation of being able to do anything apparently... Must have a nuclear powerplant

maybe they know something we don't :roflol:

Dangerous_Toys
12-25-2010, 10:30 PM
You know how Hype is. 20 minute runs on 6s? Something is melting!:flame42:

jac4412
12-25-2010, 10:36 PM
You know how Hype is. 20 minute runs on 6s? Something is melting!:flame42:

If they said the runtime was a strong 8-10 mins I'd still be very suspicious....

But hey.. maybe the ESC has an auto repair function

marko500
12-25-2010, 11:27 PM
A very wise man once told me- "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

Mark

iamandrew
12-26-2010, 07:26 AM
I wouldnt be supprised if the run time is higher than normal because id assume that the ABS hull is a lot lighter than fiberglass hulls

osprey21
12-26-2010, 08:21 AM
A very wise man once told me- "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

Mark
Indeed.

roadrashracing
12-26-2010, 09:03 AM
So has any of these hit the water yet?

Brushless55
12-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I wouldnt be supprised if the run time is higher than normal because id assume that the ABS hull is a lot lighter than fiberglass hulls

that will not help much, because you still have drag from the hull
its not like this thing weighs 5lbs less than a glass hull

Snowride
12-26-2010, 11:21 AM

Who, Where??

Rumdog
12-26-2010, 11:32 AM

okaaaaaayyyyy

Dangerous_Toys
12-26-2010, 01:13 PM
okaaaaaayyyyy

:roflol::roflol:

yurkanip
12-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Ive heard, in secret from traxxas. that the power plant, is a perpetual motion based system. It never needs a charging. 3 min runs at speeds, are a thing of the past with this modern marvel of technology. All in a plastic hull!! fantastic.

LarrysDrifter
12-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Spartan :rofl:

Dangerous_Toys
12-26-2010, 02:31 PM
My thoughts on the Spartan: You will have several guys buying these boats, They will run it a couple of times stock, Then they will rip everything out of it and put their own setup in it, So in actuality, they have purchased a $400 ABS hull! Doesnt sound like such a great deal anymore for a RTR boat. JMO

RIPFENCE
12-26-2010, 02:42 PM
My thoughts on the Spartan: You will have several guys buying these boats, They will run it a couple of times stock, Then they will rip everything out of it and put their own setup in it, So in actuality, they have purchased a $400 ABS hull! Doesnt sound like such a great deal anymore for a RTR boat. JMO

400.00 abs boat lol:lol:

Dangerous_Toys
12-26-2010, 02:47 PM
400.00 abs boat lol:lol:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. $400 could get you a nice start on a fg hull and a Neu motor.....

Snowride
12-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow, I started a thread only to say the Spartan is finally being shipped after several months of delays and you guys managed to turn it into a bashing thread based entirely on nothing as no one here has even tried one or seen one for that matter. Seems like a real nice place to get factual and helpful information :sarcasm1: :ThumbsDown01:

Brushless55
12-26-2010, 04:30 PM
And it started from some moron saying they get 20min runs on 3s 5000mah packs
Yeah right!

RIPFENCE
12-26-2010, 04:31 PM
every time the spartan or titan has been mentioned on every thread here it causes the back and forth of pros and cons/bashes likes...in case you have not noticed this before..i am not saying its right or wrong but its the nature of a new product..and btw you were not really looking for any info or advice by posting this thread were you? believe me when i say people are extremely helpful here but its just a topic of conflict here on ose.

LarrysDrifter
12-26-2010, 04:46 PM
There are two types of rc people:those who buy rtr,and those who buy ready to build.Most of us here are RTB.That does not mean that the RTR guys are to be be-littled by the others.Everyone has their own ways of having fun and enjoying the hobby.Some build,some plug and run.Im am by no means cutting down the RTR guys(or girls)-I just see no point in spending $400 on a plastic hull only to have it break open and be one of the biggest pains to repair.
To Snowride,I sincerely hope you enjoy your new boat.Everything I said is my opinion,not factual.Good luck and have fun.

Snowride
12-26-2010, 05:07 PM
And it started from some moron saying they get 20min runs on 3s 5000mah packs
Yeah right!

Excuse me but you yourself dragged that into this thread from god knows where. Nobody on this forum claimed those times and I think it is pretty obvious even for a total moron to believe 20 min run times unless you are running at 20 mph.

Brushless55
12-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Excuse me but you yourself dragged that into this thread from god knows where. Nobody on this forum claimed those times and I think it is pretty obvious even for a total moron to believe 20 min run times unless you are running at 20 mph.

never said it was said by a true member at OSE :doh:

jac4412
12-26-2010, 05:37 PM
On another hand... I'm going to be extremely impressed if this thing comes out screaming at 50 mph 6s and it is all it's hyped up to be.. That will be one interesting boat, then we'll get to see what proboat and aquacraft do

:spy:

Brushless55
12-26-2010, 05:39 PM
On another hand... I'm going to be extremely impressed if this thing comes out screaming at 50 mph 6s and it is all it's hyped up to be.. That will be one interesting boat, then we'll get to see what proboat and aquacraft do

:spy:

I bet this sucker will do 50mph
and I agree, I'm kinda wondering what's up Proboat and Aquacrafts sleeves :popcorn2:

Brushless55
12-28-2010, 01:29 PM

oh and this was run on 4000mah packs they say :lol:

anilao
12-29-2010, 11:36 PM
TH PUSHED BACK their Spartan to Mid Jan.

Boomer
12-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I have had one on order from Horizon Hobbies for months now, and was advised that they were shipped a very small partial shipment, so mine was not shipped, and they are not clear at all on the when their backorders can be filled.:crying:

At this point, I think I may cancel my order until some of the guys that Santa has clearly showed favoritism to, have had a chance to put some time on theirs. :unsure:

ABS as a hull material is an interesting to topic. It has some good characteristics and is friendly to the molding process. Repairing it is not as user friendly as Fiberglass, but it can be glued with ABS "solvent cement" or glue if you prefer. ABS has been a main stay in the plumbing industry as well as being used in countless automotive applications. It is less crack prone than PVC and is less expensive than laying up an fiberglass hull.

I have a couple of RC Sailboats made out of ABS that have performed quite well. Having said that, the manufacturer of the hulls made them thinner than they should have, and I have had to reinforce areas of the boat with fiberglass matting and resin, where stresses occur to prevent them from cracking. If they had used more material that would not have been necessary.

A friend of mine, just called me to let me know he got his. He has been able to put a few runs on the standard batteries, but didn't have the right lipos to try. His remarks were positive on the boats handling at the speeds the stock batteries produced. He is a builder and is trying to get his head around all the molded in racks and modular power tray features the boat comes with.

I am going to see his boat next week to check out the hulls thickness, and overall quality. Traxxas has a very good reputation, so I at hopeful the boat will hold up to the stresses that a 50 mph RC boat will endure.

I am a bit concerned as I watch the promotional videos of these boats at high speeds, they appeaing a bit unstable pitching and rolling from side to side. I will be interested to see videos of actual owner's boats running lipo equipped boats to see how they handle.:confused2:

I am wondering if the trim tabs they are using are not large enough to stabilize the hull at the higher speeds?? Or if the boat is too light for that much speed??
Time will tell. I sure like how the boat looks! At this point, I think I want to be a follower, rather than a pioneer.:unsure:

as I said, time will tell.

Happy New Year

Boomer

Doby
12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Deep V's do Chine walk at high speeds...thats what they do....right up to the top of the line Delta Forces.

Boomer
12-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Doby
Thanks for the "heads up". My question still is valid, in that if you look at the size of the tabs used on this boat (and other rc V bottom hulls) in contrast to those used on the full size race boats, they are not in proportion to the hull size.

As an example a well known builder of very fast RC boat is Enforcer, uses trim tabs that are more in proportion to their boats size. The boats of theirs I have seen run are pretty darn stable. I know you are correct about some deep Vs chine walking at high speeds. I am wondering if at that point they are (1) running on, or at the "bleeding edge" of their capability (2) not step up as well as they could be (3) too light. :unsure:

I know more about full sized high performance boats than I do about the FEs or nitro rc boats. All of my FEs are Cats, and are very stable. I ordered the Spartan for a couple of reasons, one is it's obvious good looks, it's inovative set up and the warranty. When ever I get one, I am going to work on reducing the pitch and roll issue. There are a number of methods to try, should be fun to find out.

Boomer

I have attached photos of a few different trim tabs and one of the real thing a K-plane from Mercury Marine HP. Notice the 1st picture of the AeroMarine tabs look very much like the real thing.:thumbup1:

Brushless55
12-30-2010, 02:40 PM
would running 6s2p help?

TazMotorsports
12-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Just picked up my spartan. Currently charging batteries for a run on stock equipment in the morning. Keep you guys and gals posted!:rockon2:

BakedMopar
12-30-2010, 07:59 PM
I went to our local hobby shop to pick up some deans connectors and there she was sitting in the box on the counter. The owner said the guy that pre ordered it changed his mind so this ones for sale. I was trying to get him to open it up so I could take a look but he said he can't cause he wouldn't be able to sell it at full price. He's got it at $379 which is a good deal in my eyes.

Hopefully someone buys it and runs at the pond we go to.

bigcam406
12-31-2010, 12:19 AM
im curious as well as to how they will run.ive seen one short vid a customer posted on the traxxas website and it didnt show much.

anilao
12-31-2010, 02:22 AM
i just received an email from TH and they shipped my Spartan order. i placed my order last October.

Boomer, you might get your boat anytime soon.

Boomer
12-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the Tower Hobbies news. I don't know if that will relate to Horizon Hobbies. It would appear that Traxxas is spreading these boats out, getting a few to each dealer. It maybe they are still behind and not able to fill their orders or backorders very quickly.

Horizon got some but not enough to cover their orders. Not matter, I am still in limbo on my decision to get one now or not as I mentioned in my previous post.

Thank you for your message
Boomer

TazMotorsports
12-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Ran the Spartan this morning with stock batteries. It went between 20-25 mph. UNIMPRESSED!:thumbsdown: Went to hobby shop and picked up new batteries 2 11.1 4000MAH lipos. VERY IMPRESSED!!!!!!! I think the boat went between 50-55mph!:rockon2::rockon2:

Doby
12-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Were those Mph readings from a GPS or eyeballs?

Brushless55
12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Ran the Spartan this morning with stock batteries. It went between 20-25 mph. UNIMPRESSED!:thumbsdown: Went to hobby shop and picked up new batteries 2 11.1 4000MAH lipos. VERY IMPRESSED!!!!!!! I think the boat went between 50-55mph!:rockon2::rockon2:

just a guess or gps?
eyeballs can be off 10mph or so :roflol:

keithbradley
12-31-2010, 04:21 PM
just a guess or gps?
eyeballs can be off 10mph or so :roflol:

Probably. I assume you would need more than 6S1P 4000mah venoms (just guessing:confused2:) to get that kind of speed.

Diesel6401
12-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Probably. I assume you would need more than 6S1P 4000mah venoms (just guessing:confused2:) to get that kind of speed.

I would love to do a detailed video of this rtr. I mean test runs on provided nimh as well as 4s, 5s, and 6s runs with eagle tree & gps installed. I just don't want to spend $300+ on a boat I really don't want lol, plus I don't own a eagle tree yet :crying:

Brushless55
12-31-2010, 05:07 PM
I would love to do a detailed video of this rtr. I mean test runs on provided nimh as well as 4s, 5s, and 6s runs with eagle tree & gps installed. I just don't want to spend $300+ on a boat I really don't want lol, plus I don't own a eagle tree yet :crying:

I'm thinking of getting one for that very reason...
4s, 5s, and 6s runs with the stock prop and then with some of my own

Diesel6401
12-31-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm thinking of getting one for that very reason...
4s, 5s, and 6s runs with the stock prop and then with some of my own

After you get all the testing done stick some REAL power in the hull and see how much abuse it can take lol. I read traxxas has the hull on warrenty. If that is true beat the s**t outta it go back to stock and send it back lol....

Brushless55
12-31-2010, 06:34 PM
After you get all the testing done stick some REAL power in the hull and see how much abuse it can take lol. I read traxxas has the hull on warrenty. If that is true beat the s**t outta it go back to stock and send it back lol....

Bro, your like reading my mind! :lol:
after I find out what it does with the stock XL motor, in goes one of my CC1520 motors!
it's the top one
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/013-2.jpg

Diesel6401
12-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Great (crazy) minds think a like lol....

Is the bottom a 1717? If so throw it in, the hulls on Traxxas lol

Brushless55
12-31-2010, 06:48 PM
well I do have a 3rd 1717 that's the air version I could try? hmmmm :biggrin:
but the 1520 should slip right in! :buttrock:

Diesel6401
12-31-2010, 07:01 PM
well I do have a 3rd 1717 that's the air version I could try? hmmmm :biggrin:
but the 1520 should slip right in! :buttrock:

yea a 1520 will indeed rip. Both will be WAAAAAAAY better then the 540xl

Brushless55
12-31-2010, 08:00 PM
yea a 1520 will indeed rip. Both will be WAAAAAAAY better then the 540xl

:iagree:

lost rustler
03-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Wow, I started a thread only to say the Spartan is finally being shipped after several months of delays and you guys managed to turn it into a bashing thread based entirely on nothing as no one here has even tried one or seen one for that matter. Seems like a real nice place to get factual and helpful information :sarcasm1: :ThumbsDown01:

well put

Brushless55
03-06-2011, 12:32 AM
well put

:confused2:

101onwater
03-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Brand new-bee here...impressed the last week or so with everyones' experiences! Proud owner of a new SPARTAN...waiting on my 3s 11.1v 40c(50c burst) 5000 lipo's. Would like to pick up speed without gutting her so I'm looking for any suggestions including the correct prop to max out top-end. Looking forward to the advice and promise to pass-on my results to all!!! Thanks to all...Ciao

Brushless55
03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Brand new-bee here...impressed the last week or so with everyones' experiences! Proud owner of a new SPARTAN...waiting on my 3s 11.1v 40c(50c burst) 5000 lipo's. Would like to pick up speed without gutting her so I'm looking for any suggestions including the correct prop to max out top-end. Looking forward to the advice and promise to pass-on my results to all!!! Thanks to all...Ciao

welcome for the forum..
well the ones who are having good experiences with this boat are removing the stock motor and esc and using a totaly new setup
also an upgraded cooling system to

dag-nabit
03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
welcome for the forum..
well the ones who are having good experiences with this boat are removing the stock motor and esc and using a totaly new setup
also an upgraded cooling system to

:iagree:

And welcome.

Unfortunately it seems that very few are having long term success on 6S with stock setup.

Not to discourage you, read through some of the prior threads, and keep in touch with what is going on here. Don't be surprised if you find you want to upgrade eventually.

Kevin

101onwater
03-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the swift responces...I've read this forum for about a week before seeking your advice today. Lipo's due 10th/11th...will own a temp/tester by then. I've been made aware of this problem at "THE FORUM"! Purchased her about 3 weeks ago so perhaps Traxxas made the hole on the rudder bigger(I'VE SEEN PHOTO'S OF TINY,TINY HOLES...MINE IS MORE PRONOUNCED). Really don't want to GUT HER...being new and all...and the $$$...Any Ideas' on props??? MORE??? promise to pass on all experiences... STAY WET... Ciao

Brushless55
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
and to tag with Kevin, watch your fingers on a possible hot motor and esc
watch the temps on the stock stuff

Brushless55
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the swift responces...I've read this forum for about a week before seeking your advice today. Lipo's due 10th/11th...will own a temp/tester by then. I've been made aware of this problem at "THE FORUM"! Purchased her about 3 weeks ago so perhaps Traxxas made the hole on the rudder bigger(I'VE SEEN PHOTO'S OF TINY,TINY HOLES...MINE IS MORE PRONOUNCED). Really don't want to GUT HER...being new and all...and the $$$...Any Ideas' on props??? MORE??? promise to pass on all experiences... STAY WET... Ciao

take a read through these forums and you will see what has been passed along already

couple threads of total rebuilds on here and over at traxxas.com