PDA

View Full Version : CG on a Velocity Mono?

Diesel6401
12-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Quick question, tried using the search function but didn't answer my question. What should the cg on a minicatracingusa velocity mono be? Right now I'm measuring 15.5" Tip of nose to transom and I marked the CG at 29% or 4.5". Is that about right or are you guys including hardware on the mini hulls which would be 17.5"? I would test but too cold and lake is partial frozen :ThumbsDown01: any info would help. Can't wait to try this little guy out.

martin
12-22-2010, 07:46 AM
I run the Joysway Warrior which is basically the same boat & run the cg 5" in from the transom which is around 32% of hull length. These are such fast little boats they tend to run with the bow high because of the speed their capable of on such a short hull. The entire hull runs pretty much up on the rear part of the v when flat out, Its not a wet running hull at all which is what contributes to its speeds. Depending on lipo size & weight you will need to add extra weight on the lipo side to get self righting & also tape the hatch as well as the inner clear cover for maximum air boyancy. I found that if you use the largest size lipo that you can get in the boat around a 2200mah 3s which weighs any thing between 165grams-200grams depending on make you will need to add an extra 2 ounces + to get consistant self righting. Stick with what they say on c rating on the lipo which i beleive is 20-25c other wise youll blow something. Going to the larger props they sell for these 32mm & 35 mm pushes the speeds noticably higher than the 30mm prop but will draw more amps so its up to you to make desisions on that one. These really are fun boats when you get them trimmed out & running well for quite small money. Martin.

sailr
12-22-2010, 09:01 AM
We start out by mounting a 2200mAh 3S battery on the left (port) side of the boat with the back of the battery about 2" from the inside of the stern. That's a good starting point. Read paragraph 6 in our instructions.

http://minicatracingusa.com/images/instruct/vseriesinstruct.pdf

You can adjust the battery fore and aft to achieve the best placement for running. For rougher water conditions you can move the battery slightly forward and for calm water, move it back slightly.

The Joysway boat is a copy of our Velocity and does not have the same power level. Proper balance is also affected by the amount of power the motor produces. We run a 32mm prop stock, unlike the 30mm on the Joysway because our motor and esc will take it!

Have fun with your boat! Feel free to call us if you have any other questions. Our "job 1" is customer service!

martin
12-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Im only useing the Joysway as set up info as these are readilly available in the UK & the Velocity is not but the hulls i believe are the same hull. As far as power is concerned i no longer use stock motors esc or props, Im now useing an Etti outrunner 3600kv on 3s 45c - 90c with various props ( octura y531,Octura x435 metal + a few others). Etti 45amp esc, Reaching around 45-46mph & anything other than perfectly calm water causing torque roll on exceleration & flat out speed. Now working further on the hull set up with torque wedges under rear of hull & or trim tabs to reduce this problem. Weathers bad in the UK at the moment so have to wait a while. Mid 40s is certainly pushing extremes but up to say 37mph is very good on the stock boat on the right props. I have a question on the motor & esc in the Velocity, Arnt they the same motor ( FSD 2445/ 3000kv)& esc as the Joysway. If their not the same can you give details of the motor specs as i might try one if their different. Martin.

Diesel6401
12-22-2010, 01:28 PM
We start out by mounting a 2200mAh 3S battery on the left (port) side of the boat with the back of the battery about 2" from the inside of the stern. That's a good starting point. Read paragraph 6 in our instructions.

http://minicatracingusa.com/images/instruct/vseriesinstruct.pdf

You can adjust the battery fore and aft to achieve the best placement for running. For rougher water conditions you can move the battery slightly forward and for calm water, move it back slightly.

The Joysway boat is a copy of our Velocity and does not have the same power level. Proper balance is also affected by the amount of power the motor produces. We run a 32mm prop stock, unlike the 30mm on the Joysway because our motor and esc will take it!

Have fun with your boat! Feel free to call us if you have any other questions. Our "job 1" is customer service!

Yea I read the manual when I got it (Lake froze and good br material lol), didn't give me a specific range though like I was looking for, just said move front or back. I was looking for a good reference starting cg that I could mark and then adjust from their. I'll just go with what I have, thanks for the answer sailr and martin.

sailr
12-22-2010, 01:43 PM
It Velocity is the same original hull. The Joysway is a copy of it. We spec'd our motor from FSD but with better magnets and bearings. It has more power/torque than the Joysway.

You are right on the money regarding the speed though. We get 35-38mph stock, right out of the box. The 'hull speed' is around 40. At that point and above it becomes unstable. Not much you can do to change that. Every boat has a 'theoretical' hull speed. So many people want to hop up our boats. (We design our boats to run optimum right out of the box, unlike some manufacturers, who I won't name, that sell you a boat with junk motor and esc in it and then will sell you a hop up kit for a LOT of money that will make the boat run like it should have in the first place. I find this distasteful and dishonest) I tell the hop up guys they are wasting their time and money. They generally contact us afterwards and tell us the boat was blazing fast but they couldn't control it. My contention is 'what good is it if you can't control it?" That's no fun. You go crazy with trim tabs, etc. etc. and don't usually get too far. A lot of the hop up fans switch back to stock.

We ship to Europe all the time by the way.

Im only useing the Joysway as set up info as these are readilly available in the UK & the Velocity is not but the hulls i believe are the same hull. As far as power is concerned i no longer use stock motors esc or props, Im now useing an Etti outrunner 3600kv on 3s 45c - 90c with various props ( octura y531,Octura x435 metal + a few others). Etti 45amp esc, Reaching around 45-46mph & anything other than perfectly calm water causing torque roll on exceleration & flat out speed. Now working further on the hull set up with torque wedges under rear of hull & or trim tabs to reduce this problem. Weathers bad in the UK at the moment so have to wait a while. Mid 40s is certainly pushing extremes but up to say 37mph is very good on the stock boat on the right props. I have a question on the motor & esc in the Velocity, Arnt they the same motor ( FSD 2445/ 3000kv)& esc as the Joysway. If their not the same can you give details of the motor specs as i might try one if their different. Martin.

martin
12-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I do run them in stock set up as well to be more relable & as you know they do not have to be run on as calm water as a lot of people think that you must run on. Their probably a bit more exciting on a little chop as well especially if you have the self righting sorted then you can really tear it up on the lake without fear. A lot of the friends i run with use much bigger boats on a smallish lake & run around 50mph in fairly short bursts but its these little micro boats doing around 37-38 mph running constanly along the straights turning flat out that is so impessive. I hear the comments made by spectators, Adults & children that its these little micro boats that they most wont to see running over the bigger & more expensive boats. Re buying from the USA, I beleive theirs no Tenshock importer now in the UK. I was interested in a Mini Eco 3200kv boat but by the time we add shipping /insurance, exchange rates, import duty, 20% vat as of January 1st it makes it a very expensive little boat indeed. Also pushing the limits on these small boats is just a bit of fun & not to serious just to see what can be done when you get a bit bored at times as you do. Martin.

Diesel6401
12-22-2010, 03:32 PM
This hull will remain stock for me. I have 100% no intentions on hopping up this boat. Run as is...

martin
12-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Stock they are great little boats, Theirs things you can do with the stock boat like how manouvarable they are flat out & how quick they can turn which simply cant be done at higher speeds with modded boat. High 30s also is a very good speed for such small boats which due to their size & quickness will seem a lot faster & you do need to concentrate when running them on a confined size lake because of what you can get away with re speeds & turns. Im sure your going to enjoy these boats & hope to hear how you get on. Martin.