PDA

View Full Version : mhz gecko

Chuck E Cheese
12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
this is a mhz gecko, measures about 13.5". i got this a long time ago to run with brushless mini rio's and it just wasnt fair. i built a micro fountian also which is the same hull with a different top deck. the fountian had a neu 1105 on 2s and this one always ran a 28-35 on 3s. i loved the fountian but lost interest in micros so i sold it. this one had been in the drawer for a long time and i dug it out when someone was interested in buying it. it didnt sell and after looking at it i decided to get it going again. full hull up restoration.

this time i will be using a castle 26-46-4600kv motor, turnigy 35a esc, hs-82mg servo, micro hardware from OSE, .098 flex and 27-32mm props. it will get a 2000-2200mah 2s. this is all replacing a turnigy 28-35-2700, same esc, minicat hardware (i never liked the rudder it was to big and hate the odd size flex shaft with bearings in the strut), hs-225 (again to big), 2200 3s (big again). the goal is to get the same results i had with the fountian, it was always a little slower but smooth, quiet and light. this one will be a little heavier due to the cf but i am sure it will be alot lighter than it was.

i started by tearing it down, did the team green and cf as always. mounted strut and rudder. the mistake with this build is i didnt plan on changing the hardware untill after paint so i didnt plug all the holes. there is some epoxy that will eventually get cleaned up and most of the remaining holes are going to be used for the pushrod seal and water line.

damfurst
12-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Interested to see how this one comes out. I think you did a vid of the other version a couple years ago that helped to convince me to buy my Gecko. I surely love mine. looks good so far.:thumbup:

Chuck E Cheese
12-20-2010, 08:59 PM
ya like i said i have owned several

Gerwin Brommer
12-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow, you've got balls my friend !
A 26-46 motor ?
That's an awfull lot of rotating mass for such a small hull !
I suggest you'll spoil that boat with a floodchamber, she might need it a lot :-)

Flying Scotsman
12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I want to see the maiden voyage :smile: :sinking-guy::Sinking: but give it a whirl anyway.

Douggie

Chuck E Cheese
12-21-2010, 09:07 PM
i dont know why you say that... to start with it was always self-righting without a flood chamber. after that i have run neu 1107's in these and they were alot bigger motors. i may indeed have to go back to the longer minicat rudder but with a small prop i dont think the rotating mass will effect it that much. dont worry i will post video.

Chuck E Cheese
12-23-2010, 10:06 PM
worked on it a little more. servo and linkage plus stuffing tube installed. i just realized i dont have any 2s that small so i prob wont be able to run it until after new years. i will order a few from hobycity today... still need to run some water lines and make a mount for the esc.

Chuck E Cheese
02-13-2011, 01:12 AM
ok finally got around to running this one today..... what a great boat!
i remember why i used to love the gecko's so much. it ran flawless, not a drop of water inside and everything stayed cool. ran one 2s 1600mah 40c pack and got 2 runs of about 3 minutes each. 427 prop and it was quite a bit faster than a stock offshore worrior (minicat velocity). i was verry happy to be driving this one again. i used a $15 2.4ghz radio i got from HC and was happy with that as well. the extra recievers were $6 so i got a bunch. i will be using this radio in all the boats i hardly ever drive. the only downside is it is one model only so you have to trim the boat everytime you switch boats...

video will come tomorrow as i only took one pack (and no tools) with me today... sorry i didnt video the maiden voyage but i havent adjusted anything yet and will run it as is..

Chuck E Cheese
02-14-2011, 12:50 AM
ok i took video but an having trouble with it. i'll get it going soon. the eagle tree data file showed 32mph at 39amps and it was noticably slower with the data logger because it was running wet.. temps were all around 120* after 4 minutes. i love this thing..

Rich
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Nice I love the Gecko! My brother clocked mine at 42mph on 3s. It wasn't running stable at all thought very very bouncy.

keithbradley
02-14-2011, 08:56 PM
I've had my eye on these for a while now...looking forward to that video chuck:popcorn2:

Chuck E Cheese
02-14-2011, 10:43 PM
my old set-up was definetly faster but this one is alot better. plus a 2s 1600mah..... they are about $10. it sounds like it could take more prop but that upsets them. i learned from a micro fountian i built with a neu 1105 that the 27mm is the best... and plenty fast for this little thing. sometimes when the pond is dirty we run them in the lagoon at the Hilton Hawiian Village hotel so they cant draw too much attention... it is basically just a salt water swimming pool

mhall
02-15-2011, 09:59 AM
That looks like such a tough place to run your boats!!!:buttrock: No sun, no scenery, nothing to impressive to occupy your mind!!

Chuck E Cheese
02-15-2011, 10:22 AM
here is our regular fe pond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF52SkU2e9M

and this is where we run the gassers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_bO8BYQ3v8

the worst thing is in the winter the water temp gets way down in the 70's

Chuck E Cheese
02-20-2011, 11:58 PM
finally got some video for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szwNqmjLCXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd_gN5XZTvc

and here is the eagle tree log of amps and speed. still needs a little prop work but i have not adjusted anything. just threw it in the water and this is what i got. hit the set-up pretty good from the start. keep in mind this thing is only about 13 inches in legnth...

Rich
05-08-2011, 11:03 AM
That thing runs smooth! Can you take a few pics with the lipo inside and give me a measurement of the cg? Strut angle and what hardware you are using?

Chuck E Cheese
05-08-2011, 02:25 PM
cog = mono 30%, strut is flat 0 degree with the ose micro strut/rudder

Rich
05-08-2011, 07:36 PM
ok thanks. I have to keep this thing in the water! It likes to hop around.