PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions...

LaMoparPower
12-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Hey guys, just bought me a MG and love it so far... First time really getting into any type of RC but i can see already im screwed(hooked)

I saw the winding on the flex shaft was backwards so i ordered a new one (for $12 wasnt worth the hassle of getting a hold to proboat) Next on my list i was looking to do a prop for a little more speed.... and possibly and esc, just trying to set everything up for future "expansion" lol

From reading on the forums it seems a s/b x642 would be a good choice?

also.... the talk of 4s and 6s and so on when discussing batteries... what is that referring to?

ron1950
12-20-2010, 11:26 AM
not sure if its still on the horrizon site but u can sign up for a free flex shaft there......642 is a good all around prop for the boat some have gone as far as a m445 and a 120 esc......4s usually mens two 2 cell packs and 6s usually means two 3 cell packs ...sometimes u will see it as 4s2p or 6s2p for 2 packs adding up to 6 cell etc.....

LaMoparPower
12-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the reply....

I found it on the website and sent it in, i guess having an extra cant hurt since i already ordered a replacement..

I broke down and ordered the Turnigy 180 amp marine ESC... along with the programmer.... i figured this one should be safe for whatever i want to throw at it? Also, was looking into ordering some more batteries... Right now i have one set of 5000MaH lipos.... 2 cell, should i order some 3 cells for when the new esc gets here? Can the factory motor handle this? Sorry for all the questions...

jac4412
12-20-2010, 12:09 PM
your 5000 mah lipos are good right now (whats the c rating on them?) The motor will also be able to handle what youre thinking of throwing at it, just remember to keep in mind of save run times (5 mins max).

Just to make sure youre clear on the batteries... the 2s... 3s... are just simply stating that amount of cells in your packs. So like 1 aa battery is 1 aa battery. 1s lipo is 1 3.7v lipo. 2s is a 7.4v lipo. 3s is an 11.1 v lipo. The MG stock runs 2 2s batteries to give you over 14 vs.

As for the propellers and such, I have an X642, an M445, and the aquacraft 40 52/3. Any of those ones will work fine, the x642 is closest to the stock prop and seems to run well on the setup. I got a bit more speed but more temp heat with the m445 and less speed but no heat on the 3 blade prop.

Oh and make sure youre greasing your flex!

And also, word of advice, take it nice and slow and understand what youre doing... I made the mistake of getting in to much too quickly and going way over my head... I made a FE boat that literally blew up midway in my lake..... But other than that... welcome to the boards! This is one pretty boat! I was just watching the real MG on versus yesterday... what a beautiful boat.

LaMoparPower
12-20-2010, 12:30 PM
The current batteries say 30-40c discharge on them.....was going to order some 40c....i see people talking about 5s....this a 2s and 3s in combo? I'm debating ordering 2s or 3s...I'm trying to take it slow but this is addicting!!

jac4412
12-20-2010, 12:54 PM
5s in a 2s and a 3s in series... meaning the voltages add on to each other. You have a good discharge rate. That is just as important as the mah and voltage of your batts

LaMoparPower
12-21-2010, 11:29 AM
well i was going to buy a 445 just to toy with this weekend but looks like they are out of stock on here...... any other suggestions?

tiqueman
12-26-2010, 11:58 PM
not sure if its still on the horrizon site but u can sign up for a free flex shaft there......642 is a good all around prop for the boat some have gone as far as a m445 and a 120 esc......4s usually mens two 2 cell packs and 6s usually means two 3 cell packs ...sometimes u will see it as 4s2p or 6s2p for 2 packs adding up to 6 cell etc.....

For clarification on this Ronald, the diference between 4S, or 4S1P and 4S2P.. 4S2P, does not mean "2 packs adding up to..." 4S2P means 2-4S batteries in parallel. 4S1P, can mean 1-4S battery OR 2-2S batteries for 4S total.

In race conditions I run 4S2P (TWO 4S batteries in PARELLEL) For sport screwing around behind the house, I usually run 4S1P (TWO 2S battereis in SERIES for 4S.

series adds your pack voltage together, parallel adds your mah ie, 2-2S packs 7.4V each, in series is 14.8V. (this is still 4S1P) Two 4S packs (14.8V) in Parallel (4S2P) remains 14.8V, but your mah, say 5000mah per batt, is now 10000, so your run time theoretically doubles.

Heres an example, note this battery has 4 cells, but its only 7.4V. 2S2P configuration http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9966

Just wanna be sure you got that straight so next time you come down and to my house you know whats up.

tiqueman
12-27-2010, 12:03 AM
well i was going to buy a 445 just to toy with this weekend but looks like they are out of stock on here...... any other suggestions?

642 is a great prop, M445 is what I run. Its fantastic but I recommend a larger esc just to be safe. 642 you will not have to change anything and have a wonderful running boat.

ron1950
12-27-2010, 12:21 AM
dont matter to me scott....all i know is what i run so ill let u teach the others alll about batteries.....i just buy em and run em

tiqueman
12-27-2010, 01:10 AM
dont matter to me scott....all i know is what i run so ill let u teach the others alll about batteries.....i just buy em and run em

:beerchug:

LaMoparPower
12-29-2010, 12:09 AM
ok, well so far this is whats going on, and i feel like im on an "ok" track... and feedback feel free.... like i said im a COMPLETE newb on this...

bought two 5200Mah 2s 20c
bought two 5000Mah 2s 40c
wired everything today with EC5 connectors
ordered seaking 180
rudder offset installed

think that wraps it up for now.... going to order a prop soon... most likely go with the 445, and maybe some 3s 40c.... buddy bought a MG also so im thinking a paint job as well..

Diesel6401
12-29-2010, 01:45 AM
ok, well so far this is whats going on, and i feel like im on an "ok" track... and feedback feel free.... like i said im a COMPLETE newb on this...

bought two 5200Mah 2s 20c
bought two 5000Mah 2s 40c
wired everything today with EC5 connectors
ordered seaking 180
rudder offset installed

think that wraps it up for now.... going to order a prop soon... most likely go with the 445, and maybe some 3s 40c.... buddy bought a MG also so im thinking a paint job as well..

Sounds like your on the right track, but you may want to also change the 3 sets off wires that connect the motor & esc to 5.5mm bullet connections. If you want to run 6s you need to dis-able the bec on the esc and run a external receiver pack. That takes the load off the esc. Takes less then a minute to do. Just take a very VERY small flat head and on the plug of the esc that goes into the receiver you will see a red wire going to the to the little connector. Left up the small plastic locking tab try not to snap it off and slide the red wire out of the connector and just place a small piece of heat shrink or some electrical tape on the wire so it doesn't touch anything. After that grab a rx battery pack from the hobby shop charge it up and plug it into the battery slot of the receiver.

LaMoparPower
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
ok, so something came up and i can pick up a genesis cheap.... so the question is, keep the geico, or would going with a genesis be a better option?

JackBlack26
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
You cant have both? If not I'll send you $80 shipped for the MG:banana:
:bounce:

LaMoparPower
01-04-2011, 12:08 PM
You cant have both? If not I'll send you $80 shipped for the MG:banana:
:bounce:

!@$!@#@! ok genesis is on its way too.... god i hate this overly addicting hobby.... :doh:

tiqueman
01-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Geico is a waaaaaaay better boat

LaMoparPower
01-04-2011, 03:08 PM
ok, well i guess scratch it.... canceled the order on the genesis, going to play with this geico more before i do anything else.... being the amateur i am, it looks as this is the best boat for me to learn with...

So on to a motor question.... to get RPM's you multiply the Kv x system voltage correct?

i.e. 14.8V system on a 2200 kv system = 32560...

which is pretty ideal RPM range right?

was thinking i could run some like these in series to get longer run times:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9966

and maybe a leapord 4074 2200 kv?

i already have a few 2s packs so would like to stay in the 4 cell total range...

Boomer
01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I have both boats, like them both, not sure I'd agree that the MG is a way better boat.
The lay up on both is typical, paint on the Genesis is higher quality with all the decals covered with clear cote. The paint on the MG is nearly impossible to duplicate and to be honest, the decals, while cute are not the best. My Genesis has a 125A ESC, a 3674KV 2075 motor, more durable canopy for sure, nice running gear, but it didn't come with a rudder servo, radio or receiver. The MG comes with all of those items, but costs more too. The MG came with a 45amp esc, don't remember the motor specs (age thing) it also has a nice double hatch arrangement that is a plus on the MG side.

My view is that they are very close overall. I don't race my boats, well kind of, but it is more like street racing, so I couldn't say if one would out turn the other to any measurable degree.

Both boat handle very well, but with the Genesis there has been no issues with bounce or porpoising that had to be addressed.

The biggest difference I can point out is that Horizon Hobbies is a very good company to do business with, and HobbyKing, well let's just say, they will never win any awards for good customer service. So in that regard, the MG has a big advantage.

I am not critical of either boat, and don't see one being heads and shoulders above the other one.

Tiquman, I know you know about these things and I respect your opinion, I am only throwing these thoughts up for discussion.

Like to hear your thinking on the differences. I am here to learn

Thanks
Boomer

LaMoparPower
01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
welp, put a 2200 kv leopard in.... seaking 180, a 3 blade i stole from a buddy, and took it out this past weekend... GPS registered 46.8 before she took flight.. :doh: Flew straight up and landed upside down about 20 ft. away.... took 20-30 minutes before it blew to the edge and the batteries were too low to run her again.... going to try a few different props this weekend.... this was all on 4s1p... may try my 2000kv motor on 5s1p also see what she liked better... so far im :bounce: Start missing the feel of that controller in my hand QUICK!

jac4412
01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
whats the prop size?

LaMoparPower
01-31-2011, 02:12 PM
whats the prop size?

not exactly sure... this weekend went up to a leopard 4074, 2150kv on a t-180 with an x642 on 5s... messed around for a little while as it looked like she kept wanting to go airborne, got with the wind and never got past 3/4 throttle... gps stayed on and registered 42 before the blowover.. :help:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r208/swolecajun/2011-01-29110255.jpg?t=1296501090

Had the batt's all the way forward on the trays... not to mention it also busted the trays out of the sponsons.. Guess ill need to mess with the trim next..

tiqueman
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
I have both boats, like them both, not sure I'd agree that the MG is a way better boat.
The lay up on both is typical, paint on the Genesis is higher quality with all the decals covered with clear cote. The paint on the MG is nearly impossible to duplicate and to be honest, the decals, while cute are not the best. My Genesis has a 125A ESC, a 3674KV 2075 motor, more durable canopy for sure, nice running gear, but it didn't come with a rudder servo, radio or receiver. The MG comes with all of those items, but costs more too. The MG came with a 45amp esc, don't remember the motor specs (age thing) it also has a nice double hatch arrangement that is a plus on the MG side.

My view is that they are very close overall. I don't race my boats, well kind of, but it is more like street racing, so I couldn't say if one would out turn the other to any measurable degree.

Both boat handle very well, but with the Genesis there has been no issues with bounce or porpoising that had to be addressed.

The biggest difference I can point out is that Horizon Hobbies is a very good company to do business with, and HobbyKing, well let's just say, they will never win any awards for good customer service. So in that regard, the MG has a big advantage.

I am not critical of either boat, and don't see one being heads and shoulders above the other one.

Tiquman, I know you know about these things and I respect your opinion, I am only throwing these thoughts up for discussion.

Like to hear your thinking on the differences. I am here to learn

Thanks
Boomer

I should have been a little more specific... The Geico is a much much better race boat. For sport boating, I could not pick between the two. I have them both and love them both. Both have thier goods and bads. But race wise and sticking thru a corner, Geico all the way. As boomer mentioned though, I do feel the Genesis is a better lay up and again, doesnt come w/ a brittle plastic hatch.

As for paint, Genesis may look better, but I dont feel its not as quality as the Geico. :thumbup:

pyroM!KE
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
where is your strut at?Try it down with the top of the strut level with the rudder clamp..I blew mine over on 4s the other day..Im waiting on my batts to go 5s..I will prob be in the same boat as you in a couple days..hehe:bounce:

tiqueman
01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
not exactly sure... this weekend went up to a leopard 4074, 2150kv on a t-180 with an x642 on 5s... messed around for a little while as it looked like she kept wanting to go airborne, got with the wind and never got past 3/4 throttle... gps stayed on and registered 42 before the blowover.. :help:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r208/swolecajun/2011-01-29110255.jpg?t=1296501090

Had the batt's all the way forward on the trays... not to mention it also busted the trays out of the sponsons.. Guess ill need to mess with the trim next..

Ive seen that before... :thumbsdown:
Ive got a spare hatch I can reinfoce and ship to you. As of now, its brand new in unopened package. PM me if your interested.

tiqueman
01-31-2011, 02:42 PM
where is your strut at?Try it down with the top of the strut level with the rudder clamp..I blew mine over on 4s the other day..Im waiting on my batts to go 5s..I will prob be in the same boat as you in a couple days..hehe:bounce:

Cant measure like that, some hulls the hardware was set differently on the transom. The correct way to measure would be set it on a flat surface (rudder off table, strut on table and compare it to where the bottom of your ride pads are.

Just an FYI on the proper way to compare set ups and help others set up :thumbup:

LaMoparPower
01-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Going to try lowering the strut this weekend and a 445 prop.. i think this thing has a few 60+ runs in it... it ran in the 50's on 4's so well see... Hopefully no :sinking-guy: :popcorn2:

LaMoparPower
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Cant measure like that, some hulls the hardware was set differently on the transom. The correct way to measure would be set it on a flat surface (rudder off table, strut on table and compare it to where the bottom of your ride pads are.

Just an FYI on the proper way to compare set ups and help others set up :thumbup:

I tried mine at that setting before and oh man it was hard to control... I guess ill start over on 4's and see what i can do to get it more wet, then go from there..

tiqueman
01-31-2011, 02:53 PM
LMP, in regards to our PMs

Diesel6401
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM

5s on a 2150kv leopard is a lot of rpms. That motor is better suited for 4s. I bet 4s and a m445 you could have yourself a nice running boat and the motor would barley be warm.

Sorry about your hatch

LaMoparPower
02-01-2011, 01:22 PM
5s on a 2150kv leopard is a lot of rpms. That motor is better suited for 4s. I bet 4s and a m445 you could have yourself a nice running boat and the motor would barley be warm.

Sorry about your hatch

I ran it on 4's a few times... motor wasnt even warm to the touch... was looking to maybe get a little more out of her.. i was able to get a vid of the second run (after the hatch demolition) with the batteries stuffed all the way to the front of the sponsons... Really just wanted one good run with 5's to see what shes capable of... but yes i do agree, on 4's the boat is smoothhhhhhh and reliable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU7uy0Zl3ns&feature=player_profilepage

Boomer
02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I little lighter touch on the throttle should prevent those "wheelies"
Boomer

Diesel6401
02-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I have ran 46mph, on the stock motor on 5s. I moved my batteries further back, not more forward. Took the bounce out and ran strong.