PDA

View Full Version : pics and shakedown run impressions

treystoys
12-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey guys...finally got this sucker finished last nite, and had a chance to make a quick run this evening. I must say, I'm very impressed! I didn't have time to take the gecko GPS with me, I was running out of light fast. Set up again is Hacker B50 10L, CC Hydra 120, 12 Accosiated IB4200s, and a balanced x440. I had the Strut set fairly deep, and it showed, I'd guess speeds in the mid 40mph range. I've already made some changes to raise the strut depth a bit, and I'll go up a few prop sizes tommorow. Heres a few shots of the finished product.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o110/treystoys/boatpix2008.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o110/treystoys/boatpix2007.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o110/treystoys/boatpix2005.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o110/treystoys/boatpix2010.jpg

Diegoboy
12-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Nice! Take some VID if you can!

RCprince
12-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Dude your set-up is crisp

Steven Vaccaro
12-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Nice setup. My only issue is the motor mount area. Push on the fiberglass in that area. Its very thin. At some point I would suggest adding a piece of carbon fiber in that area and remount the motor mount.

eboat
12-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Looks good

One question is in not better to run the water cooling through the esc fist then the motor jacket ??

David

txboatpilot
12-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Looks really good, I would think about adding a sheet of C/Fiber, as Steve suggested!! Just to make motor area nice and stiff!! Cant wait for some video!

SJFE
12-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Trey very very nice..I love a clean setup. I agree with Steven how ever on the CF suggestion. PM me I can help you out with a small piece :wink:.

treystoys
12-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey guys...I appreciate the compliments and suggestions, but after looking over the area around the motor mount, mine is extremely stout and barely bends...I'm wondering if maybe proboat saw it as a problem area, and added some extra glass in that and other areas.

As far as water cooling goes, I doubt it maters much if it goes to the motor or esc first, after running it yesterday near the battery dumping point, nothing was overly hot, only warm to the touch.

Anyhow, weathers crap over here today, but if I get a chance to run later, I'll post up the results.

ttyl

Trey

txboatpilot
12-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Did you change the location where the flex shaft comes though the hull?

treystoys
12-09-2007, 04:55 PM
No, stuffing tube was actually installed when I bought the hull. The hobby shop charged me $115 for the new hull and hatch, had the wood work and stuffing tube installed. I just made a motor mount from some angle aluminum I had laying around. I also filled the spin fin and drain hole with fiber class cloth and CA.

ttyl

Trey

Eodman
12-09-2007, 06:05 PM
You may find that once the water warms back up that you will want to cool the ESC first! I'd hate to have to buy a new ESC!

Nice build though!

RCprince
12-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Wait you bought the hull with hatch and stuffing box and tube installed for 115...wow

treystoys
12-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Water warms up...lol...I'm in south louisiana, the water never really cools much! Its mid Decmber and 80+ degrees out! Whatta winter...lol...anyway, It'll be fine I'm sure. If temps become a problem I'll drop a prop size.

Yeah, $115...I've been going to the same hobby shop for over 20 years now, so me and the owner are tight enough that if I need something special, he'll give me his cost or close just to help me out. Good guy!

Well, no running today, possibly tommorow after work...just depends on wife and kids and work and well, you get it.

ttyl guys

Trey

RCprince
12-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Cool, because I've seen the replacement hull with hatch for 121.00 online and the esc and motor for 66.00 each.

FE_Chris
12-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Nice boat dude! How's it turn?

treystoys
12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Actually, it turns very well, not as bad as my old Drifter S which was what I was expecting. Its only got two quick runs on it. I'll try and get it in the water again this weekend, and I'll post up with some top speed info and a better idea of how it turns with my rudder set up.

ttyl

Trey

txboatpilot
12-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Ran my BJ 26 yesterday for the first time, on 4S2P 3700mAh 25C lipos!!:smile: Great run time and very fun to drive!! Handles rough water really good for a 26" hull:w00t: ... The motor seems to be smoother than the SV27.... For a RTR under $300 NEW, I think itis a great little boat!!:buttrock: I will have to try some upgraded hardware next!!

treystoys
12-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Alright guys...GPS'd a run today, with 12 IB4200's hot off the charger in the stock battery boxes, and a sharpened balanced x642 I got 48.6mph on the GPS. The cool thing was I probably ran for over 5 minutes before I brought it in out of plain curiosity. Next run, I'm unsure when that'll be, I may try a V or a 21 series 3 blade prop, or possibly keep it simple and step up to an x645...so my goal to go mid 50s continues...more to come.

Trey

txboatpilot
12-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Did it turn good? Any spin outs?

RCprince
12-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I tried to run a v947 but it just bubbled water like crazy...The 645 worked good for me...But the guys here telling me thats whats eating my ESC's CC need a data logger programmer like Jeti/Hacker, doesn't that BlackJack 26 Brushless look sweet:smile: http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc263/WakeWater/ModifiedBlackJackGreen035.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc263/WakeWater/ModifiedBlackJackGreen036.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc263/WakeWater/ModifiedBlackJackGreen031.jpg

txboatpilot
12-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I may try a V or a 21 series 3 blade prop, or possibly keep it simple and step up to an x645...so my goal to go mid 50s continues...more to come.

Trey

Trey, from what I have been told the V-props are more for SAW running. What was the temperature of the esc, motor, and batteries?

treystoys
12-19-2007, 02:22 AM
Hey guys, the boat handles reasonably well with the speeds its running, no spin outs at all, I'm sure the stock driveline is very prone to that hence the inclusion of the spin fins. And the introduction of misaligned thrust angles when the drive is turned...that is unless the drive is adjusted perpindicular to the transom...which would be less than optimum for straightline purposes. Again though, I'm not really running this boat for any other reason than just to fart around and see how fast I can get it going, so turning isn't really a big concern. My hardware choice was just based on past experience setting up a nice free running driveline.

As far as V props being for saw use only, maybe for this boat yes. While they aren't good oval props for most boats, I've used them successfully in both N2 and P hydro for oval racing. In order for a V prop to work right, the driveline must be set to run parellel to the waters surface at all times. The possibility of using them on a cat is probably limited to straightline running, but for what I'm doing it may fit the bill. Also, the 21 series props are another high lift prop, but a bit more forgiving as far as non parrellel running angles, but they are very high pitched, if I recall, they may even have a higher pitch to diameter ratio than the V props.

TX I don't have a thermometer to tell you any temps, but off hand I'll say the esc and motor were warm but ok, and the batteries were hot but not unberable. This is the first set of 4200s I've used, and they are way more tempramental than the old 2400 nicads and 3000 nihms I've used back in the day. I think Steve Hill said something about them loosing voltage very fast after charging if they are left to sit for any period of time, and I experienced that first hand the other day after charging the batteries the day before running...the boat ran like it was on 6 cells...crazy stuff. Anyhow, today, I took the packs straight off the charger after multiple re-peaks and ran the boat a few minutes after, so the batteries were hot going in the boat to start.

Short version...lol...I may go buy a thermometer tommorow and start making some notes.

ttyl

Trey

txboatpilot
12-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Trey, the set up looks clean, I think you have done a great job! How about some video? Mabey with a temp gun reading!LOL HAHAHA

treystoys
12-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey guys...had a chance to run the boat today with the x645, had I not had the gps, I'd have been telling you guys the boat picked up 5 mph cause it looked faster and lighter on the water, however, the satelites don't lie! The boat was actually almost 3 mph slower. Speed droped from 48.6 to 46.2 mph. Now the crazy part...every single item, batteries, motor and esc were cooler to the touch even though speed was slower, and the 645 obviously loaded the system more...I guess I'm stumped. If the 642 was faster like the gps said, I was expecting higher temps with the 645... My first thought is to try a few props that are smaller or same diameter as the 645, but with higher pitch...like a 2137/3 I also have a p747 I'll try too. And since the smaller of the two 6 series props I tried was actually faster, common sense is telling me that maybe an x640 would be faster yet...who knows.

Tell me your thoughts guys and what some of you may have experienced with similar set ups. Again, I'm running 12 matched IB4200s, a Hacker 10L (I think the same as some of the AMMO motors, about 2300KV) and a Hydra120...two gps'd props were x642 (48.6mph) and an x645 (46.2mph)

later guys

Trey

gabinglagim
12-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Trey, what inline rudder system did you get for your cat? Sorry I'm a nooB and I have only run my blackjack 26 Brushless 4 times which I bought about 2 weeks ago and I am already seeing the problems with the u joint. (I think thats what its called.) I think its time for an upgrade already. Thanks for the help.

Tony

treystoys
12-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks Tony...I'm not using an inline set up. Its a traditional offset hardware set up. I'm running a Fullers super strut and bracket, and the mini speedmasters rudder with the 2" set back.

Trey

treystoys
12-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey guys...tested a 1640 today, after the 48.6 run with the x642 and the 46 run with the x645, the 1640=poopoo. It ran ok, but the gps read 38 and some change...and the boat was slugish getting up on step...sooo baxk to the 642 props...maybe a normal x640 and the P series props in the mix.

Well, just figured I'd update...hopefully next post will be better news.

Trey

obrien
12-30-2007, 09:31 AM
I tried a stock prather 220 yesterday and saw 43.6. I will try a couple of tweaks to it, and see what she will do. I have to do some repairs to the hull though. I had a blowover again at 50, and not there is a bit of damage to fix.

Avanti
12-30-2007, 10:19 AM
it was a nasty blow over I was there to witness.
I have pics of the runs, but did not get the blow over as that was a later run.

RCprince
12-30-2007, 11:27 AM
I took a brush and epoxied the whole hull, a light layer of 5 minute... I need to get my outboard SV running again and Start on my BJ outboard

gabinglagim
12-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks Tony...I'm not using an inline set up. Its a traditional offset hardware set up. I'm running a Fullers super strut and bracket, and the mini speedmasters rudder with the 2" set back.

Trey

Hi Trey! Ok, I finally got the super strut and bracket and speedmaster mini rudder. Looking into the x642 prop and tapered nut, but what flex cable/drive cable did you use? Can I use the old one? Also did you have to drill new holes for the strut and bracket? I just tried to eyeball the alignment and they did not seem to fit exactly. Thanks for all the help. I can't wait to get it all installed.

Tony

obrien
12-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi Trey! Ok, I finally got the super strut and bracket and speedmaster mini rudder. Looking into the x642 prop and tapered nut, but what flex cable/drive cable did you use? Can I use the old one? Also did you have to drill new holes for the strut and bracket? I just tried to eyeball the alignment and they did not seem to fit exactly. Thanks for all the help. I can't wait to get it all installed.

Tony

I am using the same hardware that Trey used, when I installed my strut, I simply used the top 2 holes from the factory mount, and drilled 2 new holes for the bottom. The strut bracket will cover the unused old holes. I think Trey had a new hull to work with so he was able to mount stuff pretty much where he wanted. I think I mounted my rudder a bit wider than he did as well.

treystoys
12-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Actually, even though I picked up the hull new, it was pre drilled with all the hardware holes which stunk, but I did exactly what obrien said, mounted the strut with the top holes, marked the bottoms, drilled them then mounted the rudder where I felt it'd work best. Only thing important about rudder placement it to be sure when the rudder is at full left turn it wouldn't hit the largest possibble prop you'd run which would be in the 45-47mm range at best.

good luck, and post some picks when its installed.

Trey

gabinglagim
01-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Here are a couple of pictures of the new hardware. I still have yet to have time to install them.

Apples1
01-03-2008, 05:44 AM
does that setup bolt straight on? looks nice and simple, but still with a nice fin to give it some decent turning.

treystoys
01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
It doesn't bolt straight on, but its an easy fit. The top holes of the strut line up, so its easy enough to mark the bottom holes then just eye up a place to mount the rudder where it clears the prop at full left turn and mount it up.

Trey

treystoys
01-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Hey guys...had a chance to run the boat this morning...ran two props, the modified 1742 I'd been toying around with and another 642. The 1742 is a no go...even with a move back on the CG, the boat doesn't lift like it should. So I threw the 642 on there, and got 45.9mph out of it. I must admist, I have myself a bit stumped. Even with the 642, I originally ran almost 49mph with, I've yet to see another run that fast. In my absence from the hobby for a few years, I have lost some edge on the battery game,I'm obviously not up to lipo lingo yet, but I do have a quiestion about the newer 4200 nihm cells. Back when we were running the 2400 nicads, and the 3000 nihms, you could literally beat the crap outta the cells, with little maintinance and the batteries would run the same after each charge, even with repetative charges daily. Are these new 4200s different? Should I be entirely discharging after each run or can these handle the half chage storage then recharge them? I do recall the 48 mph run was with the batteries fresh off the charger, and they went in the boat hot, and came out even hotter. But the boat was ballistic. So tell me, do I break out the old bulb discharger and be nicer to my batteries or was my 48 mph a freak run?

thanks guys

Trey

treystoys
01-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Oh yeah...lol...in my gread to go faster, I ordered a new motor for the boat the other day...NUE 1515 2D. Still hoping to break 50 on the 10L and 12 4200s first though.

ttyl

Trey

obrien
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
My best run was also with the batteries having been off the charger for just a little while. I let them cool down a bit before beating on them. From what I understand with the Nimh batteries you don't have to completely discharge them before recharging them. But I may be wrong on that.

can you get me any good pics of your 642?

treystoys
01-04-2008, 12:10 AM
I'll get some, but I can tell you its just a stock x642 that I sharpened and balanced, no trickery at all. The prop I ran today is just one I pulled off my no step 2 P mono. For the life of me I can't find the actual 642 I had on when I went 48. If there was any difference between the two though it was pretty minimal, maybe I removed a tiny bit more leading edge during sharpening, but that would be all.

obrien
01-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Take the tongue off one of the 642s, and that boat should wake up. My boat went from 37 mph to 48-49 range before I changed the hardware. Another thing I noticed the other day, that I haven't had a chance to confirm yet, is that th boat seems to run better if the prop is finished with 500 grit sand paper vs being polished. I have to do some more testing before I can confirm that though.

treystoys
01-04-2008, 12:36 AM
I'll get around to trying the de-tongues 642 soon, and about the 500 grit props, I'll agrre with you on that one. Although I never get mine beyond the wet sand 600 grit step due to laziness, I have been told back in my real bass boat days that the dulled finished props did work better in performance applications...hence the Mercury chopper and clever props that were only available from mercury with a matt finish.

ttyl

Trey

Rex R
01-04-2008, 01:37 AM
for best results, run the cells hot off the charger. for best cell life, do not run them down below .95v per cell, yes you can top them up w/o having them fully discharged. if cell temps go over 150F...you prolly have damaged them. hth
rex

obrien
01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
trey I think up to a cerain point the rough finish works best on props, but once you really start seeing high speeds, the polished is better. If you look at any of the fast 100+ mph boats, they will pretty much be all polished. especially up over 150 mph

Thanks for the info Rex

treystoys
01-04-2008, 05:23 PM
haha...yeah at that speed they may polish themselves.

Me gots a little box from Mr Offshore electric today!

obrien
01-04-2008, 06:36 PM
mm more goodies. what did you get?

treystoys
01-04-2008, 07:13 PM
A Castle link so I don't go crazy the next time I accidentially go into program mode on my hydra, a 480bb 7.2v for a friends project, and a NUE 1515 1.5d for the Black Jack.

txboatpilot
01-04-2008, 07:24 PM
A Neu 1515/1.5D for BJ26, HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT!!!:w00t: That thing is going to FLY literally!!:ohmy: Cant wait to see some pict's and video on that one!!:buttrock:

txboatpilot
01-04-2008, 07:28 PM
I run a Neu 1515/1Y with Hydra 120 in my Mean Machine and it hauls A%$!!! I run the 1515/1.5D in a Climate Matrix Rigger on 4S1P and it is a handful... You will enjoy that motor.... Make sure you put a thrust bearing on first!