PDA

View Full Version : Castle 240 esc?

boogaloo_d
12-13-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm thinking of putting a tunnel together and running a castle/Neu 1515 1Y with a Castle 240 esc on 4s-6s. My question is do you have to run two packs on the 240?

Darin Jordan
12-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm thinking of putting a tunnel together and running a castle/Neu 1515 1Y with a Castle 240 esc on 4s-6s. My question is do you have to run two packs on the 240?

No... The trick with the 240 is to tie the battery leads together with a bus bar or other means to make them "see" the same voltage. On the one I just sold, I simply used a piece of 6mm wire soldered between the two positive leads, and another soldered between the two negative leads, by carefully cutting out a small square of the insulation down near the boards, and soldering the bus-bars there.

On the one I currently have for sale in the swap-shop, I cut the power leads down shorter, and soldered a single 6mm lead between the two power leads. You can see the result in the picture attached. This is the ESC I used for one of my P-OPC tunnels recently. I have my Stiletto setup with another one of these similiar to this one currently. Works great.

BHChieftain
12-15-2010, 10:08 AM
I was doing some research on using a 5S config with a CC 240 ESC and was advised that running anything above 4S one should use a 2P config (ie, 5S2P). Even with that, you still need to connect the pairs of input wires together like Darin says.

For this ESC, I made Y splices in on the input wires so I would have a pair of connectors coming off each (for the 2P), and on the output side I have 1 connector per lead to the motor. For the splices, I used 20g copper wire to provide a mechanical bond in addition to solder (more advice from this forum, worked out great for me-- I've rigged a few cc240s this way).

Chief