PDA

View Full Version : Futaba 4PL?

domp444
12-13-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm looking for a new radio for my cat, and came across this one:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/futaba/futk1400.html

It has ESC mixing, which sounds pretty cool since I'll be running two motors, and I won't have to use a Y harness.

What do you guys think? I haven't heard anything about anyone using this remote.

I'm debating between getting a new pistol radio, or using my stick 6EX.

NativePaul
12-13-2010, 01:02 AM
I use a 6EX for boats and love it, but it looks like the 4pl will do everything you need for FE boats, so it comes dowen to which you prefer the feel of really. The 6EX has advantages for scale guys with the extra channels but even 6 isnt enough for some, I know scale guys hat have 14 channel sets use them all and still have multi switches on some channels.

There are some functiuonal differences in the throttles, to use some air ESC with a pistol TX you will need a rubber band/pixstix, and using some boat ESCs with an air TX wil mean you can only use the top half of the stick range so you lose some resolution over an air ESC, and if you use these you may want to fit a centering spring to the TX.

domp444
12-13-2010, 01:21 AM
That's some good advice, thanks! I'm still unsure of which I'll go with, but I think I've gotten used to using a pistol style tx on a speedboat, and it'll be a lot less of a hassle it seems. The 4PL looks really nice and I think my boat deserves it, haha. Also I'll be able to use the long antenna on the rx to maybe hook up to an external antenna if I get one.