PDA

View Full Version : Futaba S-FHSS?

Raydee
12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I am curently looking at the Futaba Radio's and wondered if anyone is running the S-FHSS receivers in their boats with no problems. I have been running Spektrum receivers for years and never had a single hickup. Right now I am using a DX3R radio and I think the Alarm is the worst thing I have ever seen on a radio....one single beep that I never hear.

bagedtaco
12-13-2010, 01:22 PM
as long as you don't get them wet, they are great. I've never lost connection. i've killed 2 when they got wet, but other wise, work fine.

the rx's are harder to find in the used market. i've been hunting for a 603ff or fs for a few months now with no luck.

good luck to ya.

marko500
12-13-2010, 01:34 PM
bagedtaco you have a pm.

Mark

marko500
12-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Ray, No experience with the S-FHSS system but I've been running the Futaba FASST in my cat (carbon fibre floor and sides) since I started and have had NO problems so far. I have even been running the PT Stealth with no external antenna and NO problems with that either. Picked up a second Futaba 3PM Tx and have switched all the boats over. We got tired of hauling around 6-7 radios all the time. Any questions give me a call.

Mark

Raydee
12-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah Mark FASST is to pricey for me. I like the S-FHSS receivers price, just want to make sure they are boat worthy. I am probably going to sell my Spektrum DX3R and replace it with the Futaba 4PL.

marko500
12-13-2010, 06:23 PM
I hear you. They are pricey but so far I've been lucky at finding used ones. When I bought the first 3pm I never thought I'd be running all the boats and cars on just 2 radios, and probably would have thought about the price of the Rx's a little more carefully. Talk to you soon.

Mark

sailr
12-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Check this place out! I am flying giant scale aircraft (called EXPENSIVE) with their module/receivers with great luck! I would think they would work fine in a Futaba boat radio s long as it has a module. Can't beat the price. In my opinion, even better than the Assan. Here in the states and I think shipping was $5!

rc-modules.com

sailr
12-14-2010, 02:26 AM
I forgot to add, receivers are $21! Module and receiver is $41.95. They also have a DIY setup to convert ANY FM system without a module.

NOTE: I have NOT tried them in a boat yet!

SweetAccord
12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm running the ASSAN in all my boats so that is already confirmed and they run flawless. You can't say they are better when you have NOT run them in a boat! Have to back what you say there Sailr, LOL. Also, how are the RC modules products better? The 4 channel range is half of the range of the ASSAN, their 4 channel is 450m compared to the ASSAN's 800m+! No comparison! I only see that the DIY module is cheaper and you get a RX, and their extra RX's are the same price as the ASSAN but thicker. Since their DIY mod is cheaper, that does not always equate to better. They don't even tell you if you can run it on Lipo, where the ASSAN you can!

Everyone is slowly copying ASSAN with their own DIY modules. If the ASSAN would system would fail even once, I would not recommend, but it has not and it's been 2 years now running in cars, boats, and planes in different areas under so many different conditions. RC modules has not been out that long, so need to research and test. So it does not matter if they are sold locally or not. What is more important is cost, benefits, ease, size, and performance. If you want to try a new company and test their products, good luck and hopefully they work too in a boat, I prefer not to test when already found something that works and was tested already with no fail rates.

For anyone else give it a try and let us know your results.

bagedtaco
12-14-2010, 11:27 AM
why don't you just run the dx3r you have? the rx's for it are easy to find in the used market, and they are pretty cost effective too?

Raydee
12-14-2010, 11:35 AM
As I stated in the first post I hate the Alarm on the Dx3R, I like having a timer and a alarm that you can actually hear on all my FE stuff. I don't like to run my Lipo's down to the cutoff so I rely on my radio timer. My 3PK has a nice loud alarm that actually counts down 10 seconds, my DX3R has one single beep and I never hear it.

sailr
12-14-2010, 01:53 PM
If you will read my post above yours it says that rc-modules also has a kit just like your ASSAN for non-module radios!! What I like about their stuff is there are:

1. here in the states
2. shipping is quick and cheap
3. Warranty right here at home and cheap to send back if necessary!

Nuf sed.

No, I don't work for them. I just enjoy their products.

I'm running the ASSAN in all my boats so that is already confirmed and they run flawless. You can't say they are better when you have NOT run them in a boat! Have to back what you say there Sailr, LOL. Also, how are the RC modules products better? The 4 channel range is half of the range of the ASSAN, their 4 channel is 450m compared to the ASSAN's 800m+! No comparison! I only see that the DIY module is cheaper and you get a RX, and their extra RX's are the same price as the ASSAN but thicker. Since their DIY mod is cheaper, that does not always equate to better. They don't even tell you if you can run it on Lipo, where the ASSAN you can!

Everyone is slowly copying ASSAN with their own DIY modules. If the ASSAN would system would fail even once, I would not recommend, but it has not and it's been 2 years now running in cars, boats, and planes in different areas under so many different conditions. RC modules has not been out that long, so need to research and test. So it does not matter if they are sold locally or not. What is more important is cost, benefits, ease, size, and performance. If you want to try a new company and test their products, good luck and hopefully they work too in a boat, I prefer not to test when already found something that works and was tested already with no fail rates.

For anyone else give it a try and let us know your results.

SweetAccord
12-14-2010, 02:33 PM
If you will read my post above yours it says that rc-modules also has a kit just like your ASSAN for non-module radios!! What I like about their stuff is there are:

1. here in the states
2. shipping is quick and cheap
3. Warranty right here at home and cheap to send back if necessary!

No, I don't work for them. I just enjoy their products.

Go ahead and test something that has not been fully tested in a boat with shorter range, I'm no ones guinea pig.

1. Here in states= that does not make a product better over another, where is the rule in that for a product? Most quality products are not even made in the states. You can purchase ASSAN in the states too by the way, http://www.truerc.com at http://www.truerc.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=15 and others like: Canada Parker Model Ltd htpp://www.parkermodel.com, U.S.A RC Hot Deals http://www.RCHotDeals.com (302)250-4611, TreneffRC http://www.TreneffRC.com (731)217-2868
Point null.

2. Shipping is quick= What is the emergency? I can wait a week or so for better quality and a better range tried and tested product, plus in the states too so shipping not an issue. Point null.

3. Warranty right = True, but once again, you can get ASSAN is the states too. I like HK cause of other items they carry that no one has, so double the pleasure to order from them bundled with other items. To order by itself not worth it. But they are sold in the states as stated before. Point null.

4. NOTE: I have NOT tried them in a boat yet!=Not even tested in boat quoting you! Well that is Nuf sed. LOL POINT VALID!

5. ASSAN will work on Lipo batteries to 14.v! Does the Fly-Dreams? Burn test time.

Also, theirs is half the cost cause it's HALF the RANGE! Read what they are selling again. LOL! So yes you get what you pay for!

Range: http://www.assan.cn/main/product_24Ghz_miniall_en.html

Range: http://www.fd-rc.com/en/product.php?sid=16

Now also compare the Fly-Dreams highest module with ASSANS, hmmm lets see: ASSAN 1000~6000m range, Fly-Dreams 1200m, they can keep dreaming. Not even close to ASSANS range, nice try. Nuf sed.

I don't work for ASSAN, but I have dealt with them and have found their products to be rock solid before anyone else decided to copy thier ideas. I will agree that Fly-Dreams is cheaper at half the cost cause ONLY for the Module but it's half the quality cause it's half the range!

But to each their own, so enjoy!

sailr
12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Just saying you didn't read my post that they also have a DIY (just like your assan, that you can wire into a non-module radio.

Come on man! 1200M range ain't enough for you? 3,396 feet? .75 mile? 6000M range? What bullcrap! Even if true, are you going to need to be driving your boat 19,684 feet away? 3.72 miles? Even Futaba, JR, etc. won't lie that big! I'd go with the 1000M estimate which is more than adequate for boats. Ground vehicles never have the range that aircraft do.

I fly and I run boats. I ASSURE you, if it can take the rigors of a shake-N-Bake, 18 lbs., 7' wingspan gasoline chugger aircraft doing rolls, snaps, etc., it can survive perfectly well in a boat!

A friend of mine has the assan and it doesn't perform any better than the fly-dream unit I have. I like it so much I bought ten receivers. Have installed in three big aircraft and absolute perfection. My friends assan equipped airplane crashed last week for no reason. May not have been radio but he can't find any other reason for it to go down. Just totally lost contact with it.

I Just haven't had a need to put in a boat yet. I don't have a module style pistol style transmitter is the reason. I prefer the Tactic with no antenna in my boats.

As for warranty? I get an email and phone number and can call if I have an issue and send it back for $5! Try that with the Assan.

I'm just trying to offer some alternatives for the poor guy. You seem bent on forcing your assan on him. Let him make his own choices.

SweetAccord
12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Range is important regardless, even if it was 10, 000 ft to me that means a better locked signal for any application that they may be used in. So these are far ranges but why not go with better? I prefer a car with 30 mile range than a 10 mile range even if I won't drive that far, one day I may need to, LOL.

Not forcing anything more than you are. I'm just trying to offer some alternatives also that have better specs, is in the US, and has been used in boats, and is lipo capable.

~Peace.

Raydee
12-14-2010, 04:43 PM
I am not sure how this topic turned into a receiver debate but I was asking if anyone here is using FUTABA's S-FHSS in their boats without problem.

I have run all Spektrum in my boats since Spektrum came out and I have never had a single glitch. I am sure if I asked a Spektrum question here I would get guys that hate Spektrum and some that love it. I would like to keep this topic about Futaba S-FHSS if you guys don't mind.

sailr
12-14-2010, 04:52 PM
:Peace_Sign: Over and Out.

Range is important regardless, even if it was 10, 000 ft to me that means a better locked signal for any application that they may be used in. So these are far ranges but why not go with better? I prefer a car with 30 mile range than a 10 mile range even if I won't drive that far, one day I may need to, LOL.

Not forcing anything more than you are. I'm just trying to offer some alternatives also that have better specs, is in the US, and has been used in boats, and is lipo capable.

~Peace.

SweetAccord
12-14-2010, 04:53 PM
LoL. Who started this? Peace Jim.

sailr
12-14-2010, 05:00 PM
People on here were complaining about the cost of receivers. I just threw out a simple alternative and then you jumped in.

No worries. Over. Move on.