PDA

View Full Version : Threw a Grim 42x55 on my MG. Here is some video!!

JackBlack26
12-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I had this prop from my experimentation days with my BJ26 with an OS .18 in it. I read on this forum from, Diesel I believe, that it would work on the MG. Boy does it work!! The sound the prop makes in insane :rockon2: I think I found the sweet spot:thumbup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOa6j-n2EOU

LiPo Power
12-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Was ir recorded with Sony camera?

Cool run on this prop. Did you notice she is a little less woa woa woa or was it the same as stock prop?

johnf
12-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Nice, thanks for sharing.

JackBlack26
12-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, it was filmed with my wife's pink Sony Ciber-shot. I'm getting pretty good at filming and driving:spy:

Don't know what you mean by woa woa woa(:laugh:), but it seemed to get on plane faster and was more consistent out of the corners. In person, the prop makes the boat sound like a freeking jet!:bowdown:

Run times went down just a hair, but nothing that I would gripe at.

tiqueman
12-10-2010, 12:26 AM
woa woa woa or sometimes wah wah wah is the sound it makes while its bouncing. Listen to the vid, youll hear exactly what it is...
Any gps runs?

JackBlack26
12-10-2010, 08:15 AM
woa woa woa or sometimes wah wah wah is the sound it makes while its bouncing. Listen to the vid, youll hear exactly what it is...
Any gps runs?
I thought that's what it was he was asking, but was confused because he was asking after seeing the video, where you could hear it doing it . It's doing it a bit less, but by what I hear from others, relocating the rudder should take care of that. I guess they call it "prop wash". I'm still new to tuning these things but hopefully moving the rudder over will help as advised.

Sorry, I don't have a personal GPS. But if I get my hands on one I'll see what it does with the stock prop and with this one.

AlanN
12-10-2010, 09:37 AM
One reason for the hull hopping is setting the strut to low or having a lifting prop. The 42x55 is not a lifting prop. Raise the strut slightly to relieve this. Adjust by 1/16" at a time. If you want to accelerate faster try a 3 bladed prop. Octura 440/3.

tiqueman
12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Alan has great advice Rafael. Do not fall into the "offset going to solve all my problems" way of thinking. I fell into that and let me tell you my suprise when I did it and it was worse. Its ALL about strut angle, height and cob. It takes a lot of patience and testing to get it right. Deisel and I both have our running extremely well. Hes still running an inline (at least he was) and I think he runs a tad higher than me, but basically, loosen the strut bolt, set the boat on a table and push itdown so that the backs of the sponsons are about 1/8" off the table while the strut is sitting flat on the table (no pos or neg angles) My cob is at 7-7/8"... IF your trays are in the same location as mine, I hung the batteries about 1/4" off the back. M445 has no bounce at all.

Boomer
12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Tigman,
What is the difference betweeen a M445 and a x642? I have the 642 on my MG, which has produced a marked improvement over the stock prop. What batteries are you running. I am running the 2nd generation Kintec Racing off set with some success. I am going to try your set up to see how that works. I have tried a number of different shaft angles to date.

The best results were found when I out of ingnorance over powered the boat with 3s. If anyone whats to try it, you may get lucky and get some amasingly fast runs in, before you toast your stock ESC. During those runs at full throttle the boat took a set like a fuel flat bottom does on a perfect pass. No bounce and running on the prop and rudder. It was a beautiful site to behold. Now that I know the boat will go that fast, I want to enable it to do it, with out the "poof" affect again! I am shopping for a new motor, althought the stock motor is fine, I need some HP! I have the juice, just need the set up to do it safely.

Next question, is I am installing a Turnigy Marine 120A ESC, and was wondering if the Proboat programing card will work with it, and if not how do I program it?
New guy question, not proud just confused. There is sure a lot to learn with these things!
Thank you
Boomer

tiqueman
12-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Tigman,
What is the difference betweeen a M445 and a x642? I have the 642 on my M, which has produced a marked improvement over the stock prop. What batteries are you running.
Next question, is I am installing a Turnigy Marine 120A ESC, and was wondering if the Proboat programing card will work with it, and if not how do I program it?
New guy question, not proud just confused. There is sure a lot to learn with these things!
Thank you
Boomer

Octuras numbering system works like this.. 442.. the first 4 represents the pitch (1.4) the last 2 numbers is the diameter in mm. (42) An M series is a detongued X series from the factory. So for example, an M442 and a X442 are the same prop diam. and pitch, but one is detongued. So an M445 is detongued, 1.4 pitch and 45mm.

EDIT, oh so really to answer your ?. the X642 is still 42mm, but has more pitch at 1.6. It also has its "tongue" where the M445 does not. And is 45 mm compared to 42. Batteries are Turnigy, 2S in series for 4S, 5000mah 40C, for sport running and race conditions, 2-4S 4000mah 30C in Parallel (4S2P)

No the PB will not program the Turnigy. But, the Turnigy is very easily programmable by your transmitter.

stringfly
12-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Pretty sure Boomer the Pro Boat card would not work with the Turnegy 120. It might but doubt it. It comes with pretty good instructions to program it using your Transmitter and the beep technique. I did it with mine and no problems. I bought the program module for my Turnegy 180 esc but have not used it yet. Supposed to be easier than the beep beep way.

Stringfly <>++++

kjohnsiii
12-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I have one of these props too I think I will give it a shot on the new Miss G today. I had this prop on the sv27r on 4sp and was getting about 8-10 min rt.

Thanks for the set up tip too tiqueman.

tiqueman
12-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the set up tip too tiqueman.

No sweat.. Its what we're here for.

And I believe Stringfly is another who has his boat dialed very nicely.... he was one of the first if I remember correctly.

AlanN
12-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Tigman,
What is the difference betweeen a M445 and a x642? I have the 642 on my MG, which has produced a marked improvement over the stock prop. What batteries are you running. I am running the 2nd generation Kintec Racing off set with some success. I am going to try your set up to see how that works. I have tried a number of different shaft angles to date.

M445 Detounged x445. Loosens up the load on the motor to allow for higher rpm.

X642 More pitch (increased load on the motor) and lifts the back of the hull up. Not a great choice for a cat IMO.

Diesel6401
12-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Alan has great advice Rafael. Do not fall into the "offset going to solve all my problems" way of thinking. I fell into that and let me tell you my suprise when I did it and it was worse. Its ALL about strut angle, height and cob. It takes a lot of patience and testing to get it right. Deisel and I both have our running extremely well. Hes still running an inline (at least he was) and I think he runs a tad higher than me, but basically, loosen the strut bolt, set the boat on a table and push itdown so that the backs of the sponsons are about 1/8" off the table while the strut is sitting flat on the table (no pos or neg angles) My cob is at 7-7/8"... IF your trays are in the same location as mine, I hung the batteries about 1/4" off the back. M445 has no bounce at all.

Still running the inline rudder with no intension on changing that. Me and Tig's strut depth is different because we are running different motors and props and have to adjust accordingly. I think our balance point is pretty close to being the same though. Extend those trays and move your batts to the balance poitn tiq suggested and try that out. My video is posted in my signature (stock with a prop change) First run and you can hear and see the bounce. I don't have new video yet of the new setup.

Diesel6401
12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
M445 Detounged x445. Loosens up the load on the motor to allow for higher rpm.

X642 More pitch (increased load on the motor) and lifts the back of the hull up. Not a great choice for a cat IMO.

The x642's worked wonders on the BJ, but for this hull the less pitch the better. I'm running a grim 40x52/3 with a PB1800kv (stiletto motor) and the stock mg/bj 45amp esc.

tiqueman
12-10-2010, 01:02 PM
The x642's worked wonders on the BJ, but for this hull the less pitch the better. I'm running a grim 40x52/3 with a PB1800kv (stiletto motor) and the stock mg/bj 45amp esc.

:iagree: 642 was amazing on the BJ26. Ive also had better luck w/ the 4 series on the MG.

Diesel6401
12-10-2010, 01:17 PM
:iagree: 642 was amazing on the BJ26. Ive also had better luck w/ the 4 series on the MG.

Yea on the mg def 1.4 pitch on the mg is better. I tried a x440/3 but the hub wouldn't fit on the Drive dog, so I traded wizard for his grim 40x52/3 while we where at the pond. Same damn dimensions as the 440/3 but his hub was opened so it fit and I rolled with it.

JackBlack26
12-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Thank you Alan and tiqueman for the input on the bouncing hull. I will try and adjust the strut as suggested. Honestly, I don't want to offset the rudder if I can fit the bouncing otherwise.

I marked the GOG on the battery trays at 9" from the rear of the boat as the manual suggests, then I marked the trays from there in 1/4" increments. I also marked the center of my batteries so everything matches up.

What is the "cob"? Is that Center Of Boat? Is that what I described above? 1/4 off the back of the tray sounds understandable but I don't know if our batteries measure the same. My Flightmax LiPos measure 5 5/8" long.

Diesel, I see you're running the PB 1800KV motor with the stock ESC. I just ordered a Castle 1512 1800kv before they run out. Do you think I can run that with the stock ESC, or should I ask, do you recommend it? I plan on getting a Hydra 120 for that motor but if I don't need to, I rather get some more LiPos with that mula!

Diesel6401
12-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you Alan and tiqueman for the input on the bouncing hull. I will try and adjust the strut as suggested. Honestly, I don't want to offset the rudder if I can fit the bouncing otherwise.

I marked the GOG on the battery trays at 9" from the rear of the boat as the manual suggests, then I marked the trays from there in 1/4" increments. I also marked the center of my batteries so everything matches up.

What is the "cob"? Is that Center Of Boat? Is that what I described above? 1/4 off the back of the tray sounds understandable but I don't know if our batteries measure the same. My Flightmax LiPos measure 5 5/8" long.

Diesel, I see you're running the PB 1800KV motor with the stock ESC. I just ordered a Castle 1512 1800kv before they run out. Do you think I can run that with the stock ESC, or should I ask, do you recommend it? I plan on getting a Hydra 120 for that motor but if I don't need to, I rather get some more LiPos with that mula!

CoB = Center of Balance, I work in aviation so we always say CG or CoG. Center of Gravity same thing. Usually 28% - 30% measure from the transom. Example MG is listed at 30" so 30 x .28 = 8.4" 30x .30= 9" measure from the transom forward. Just a good starting point. Now what you want to do is measure from the sponson tip to the end of the sponson not including the transom extension where the hardware is located so that number is prob going to be different. That was JUST a example! So your 9" is actually to far and needs to come aft some.

Naw don't do that. Get a new esc, save your money buy a swordfish 120 steve sells or for a few more bucks the swordfish 200 would be better. That CC will def blow that 45 amp esc IMO. I have that motor and I'm not even brave enough to try that one. I wouldn't even recommend using the PB1800kv on that 45amp esc. I have had the PB45amp esc before and have a spare pb45 amp laying around so I'm just pushing/testing the limits. I'm imagine a fail will happen, I'm just curious on how much pushing I can do. I plan on getting a Stiletto one of these days and the 60amp pb esc will go into the MG and i'll stick a bigger esc in that stiletto and run the 1512 1800 cc i have in it. I got the plans just need the boat, anyone want to buy me a Christmas Present :Praying:

tiqueman
12-10-2010, 02:15 PM
COB, center of balance. Easiest found by puting the boat on the end of a table w/ the transom hanging off just slightly. Slide the boat off teh table until it starts to tip to fall off. Slide back and forth accordingly so it just barely stays on the table and the slightest tap to the back downward will cause it to try and fall off. thats your COB, or COG... whatever you prefer to call it. (center of balance, center of gravity)

9" is way too far forward for stock speeds.

JackBlack26
12-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the explanation. See, I read the instructions and still managed to get to wrong :sinking-guy:
:roflol:

Thanks for that formula, Diesel.

Tiqueman, I'll try and do the balancing trick with the boat and see how far off the instructions are. So that's probably why she's still bouncing then, huh?.

So the Swordfish ESC in recommended over the Castle Hydra 120? Looks like the Turnigy 60A one. What kind of failure rate have you guys heard of with the Swordfish?

tiqueman
12-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the explanation. See, I read the instructions and still managed to get to wrong :sinking-guy:
:roflol:

Thanks for that formula, Diesel.

Tiqueman, I'll try and do the balancing trick with the boat and see how far off the instructions are. So that's probably why she's still bouncing then, huh?.

So the Swordfish ESC in recommended over the Castle Hydra 120? Looks like the Turnigy 60A one. What kind of failure rate have you guys heard of with the Swordfish?

Id say that and it could also be your strut, but I dont remember if you mentioned where its set.

Dont know about the Swordfish, From what i read quite often, the castle issue w/ popping on plug in kinda scares me... some will argue, "yeah but for the customer service blah blah blah..." All I can say is Ive become I diehard Turnigy fan. I love mine. And if someday it does go poof, Ill spend the 40 or 50 bux and get a new one...

Diesel6401
12-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Id say that and it could also be your strut, but I dont remember if you mentioned where its set.

Dont know about the Swordfish, From what i read quite often, the castle issue w/ popping on plug in kinda scares me... some will argue, "yeah but for the customer service blah blah blah..." All I can say is Ive become I diehard Turnigy fan. I love mine. And if someday it does go poof, Ill spend the 40 or 50 bux and get a new one...

I agree, I am a hobbywing seaking (turnigy marine) guy, have had great luck at a great value and the seaking 180s are AMAZING. I won't and don't plan on buying a hydra esc ever really. And that's just me. I have had great success and fun with the seaking's. As far as the Hifei swordfish esc's I have had 2 of them. First one I killed when my ul1 split open and started sinking :crying: which was not the esc's fault. 2nd one I got smart and waterproofed it and added a extra cap and had great success with it then I sold it. I even ran a 540 7xl on it :Peace_Sign: with great success. So choice is your's as always, but don't expect to see a hydra 120 in a Diesel boat anytime soon, now this CC Ice esc's maybe a different story :spy:. My twin HOTR cat im fixing up will run twin seaking 120s!