PDA

View Full Version : Delta Force 29" Copy / Leopard 40-74-2000

Chuck E Cheese
12-09-2010, 02:27 PM
this is a project i am starting to run a "spec" class we are starting. it really isnt a spec class, there is only one rule: the boats can not run faster than 40 mph during the race. each boat is equiped with a gps and if anyone runs over 40 they are DQed. that is the only rule, any hull, any motor........

i decided to go with this DF 29 copy because i know it will be rock solid at 40 with no handling issues. i decided to go with the leapord 40-74 2000kv for a couple reasons. i know it is to much motor for 40mph but i will prop down and lower timing if necessary for the races. otherwise i can let it run and still have a fun play boat. tunda is runing a DF 29 with the ammo motor and allready having speeds of 40+.

mine will be heavy as i plan on 8000mah 4s. with the leopard i plan on getting the holeshot and hope it will hold its speed in the turns better than the others. thunda is the real compitition. there will be a couple super-v's a geico and some other rtrs in the class. hopefully i can get it to run 39 around the whole course without drops in speed in the turns like the smaller motors will.

i started with my normal CF floor, de-anodized and polished the hardware and started mounting it to get an idea where to mount the motor and batteries. i will start with turn fins and no trim tabs but have them if needed later.

ray schrauwen
12-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Very neat idea of a spec class. I would like to do something similar here in Canada but, it seems its all out speed or scale...
Sure our LSH & LSO is nice but, not spec enough for me to call it a spec race. Oh well...

Chuck E Cheese
12-09-2010, 08:47 PM
ya these races are going to be like restrictor plate racing in nascar

ozboater
12-09-2010, 09:11 PM
nice chuck... looks just like mine, except the 9xl is gone and a 1518 is gonna take it s place..

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/partsbara/1030101307-00.jpg

i really like what you ve done to the hardware.. mind telling me ya secret ??

good luck with the spec racin... have fun

oz

forescott
12-09-2010, 10:58 PM
That is the shortest stuffing tube I've ever seen!

Chuck E Cheese
12-09-2010, 11:17 PM
i remove the anodize finish (use crystal drain remover, takes about 10 seconds) and then polish with a bench polisher and compound (takes about 1 hour).
i agree that stuffing tube is very short. i havent set mine up but i am thinking that the motor will end up around the cog point as like my other mono's

ozboater
12-09-2010, 11:36 PM
That is the shortest stuffing tube I've ever seen!

yep.. it was removed with the dremel yesterday... the bend was too sharp... thankfully it wasn t as much of a PITA as i thought it was gonna be... this time the 1518 will be 4" from the tramsom, not 2...

i ll snap a piccie soon...

thanks for the tip chuck, i think my speedmaster jewels will get done soon..

cheers

oz

ozboater
12-09-2010, 11:40 PM
chuck, are you doin stringers or somethin else ?? i can just see a peter z mount in my boat already... drool..

Chuck E Cheese
12-09-2010, 11:57 PM
i am not putting stringers or peters mount. this is just "another" boat sitting in my closet so i am keeping it under budget. here is the what i came up with as the basic set-up

Tunda
12-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Nice job chuck see you on Sunday

Chuck E Cheese
12-12-2010, 01:37 PM
motor mounted. add a servo, esc and reciever and she is almost ready to go. just need final alignment and a support for the stuffing tube, water lines, throw in a shelf for the battery (i think i am going to go with 4s1p 5000 40c), some pool noodle and it is rock & roll...

Chuck E Cheese
12-19-2010, 08:06 PM
ok she is ready for the water. only thing i may add is eagle tree temp and rpm sensors and some pool noodle. it is set up so that with the battery all the way back the COG is right around 27% and has roon to go forward. overall i am happy with the build. i will keep posted with some amperage/temp/speed figures and video. keep in mind that this is suposed to be a 40 mph boat. i will also update my feelings on no trim tabs. i may also want to extend the rudder to bring the leading edge to the rear of the stinger. i will try it this way first, this is the mono bracket from speedmaster so i figure they would have done some research on rudder to strut relations...