PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Julian

Rumdog
12-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Why the media (and particularly Wiki leaks) is important
Publishing improves transparency, and this transparency creates a better society for all people. Better scrutiny leads to reduced corruption and stronger democracies in all society's institutions, including government, corporations and other organisations. A healthy, vibrant and inquisitive journalistic media plays a vital role in achieving these goals. We are part of that media.

Scrutiny requires information. Historically, information has been costly in terms of human life, human rights and economics. As a result of technical advances particularly the internet and cryptography - the risks of conveying important information can be lowered. In its landmark ruling on the Pentagon Papers, the US Supreme Court ruled that "only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government." We agree.

We believe that it is not only the people of one country that keep their own government honest, but also the people of other countries who are watching that government through the media.

In the years leading up to the founding of WikiLeaks, we observed the world's publishing media becoming less independent and far less willing to ask the hard questions of government, corporations and other institutions. We believed this needed to change.

WikiLeaks has provided a new model of journalism. Because we are not motivated by making a profit, we work cooperatively with other publishing and media organisations around the globe, instead of following the traditional model of competing with other media. We don't hoard our information; we make the original documents available with our news stories. Readers can verify the truth of what we have reported themselves. Like a wire service, WikiLeaks reports stories that are often picked up by other media outlets. We encourage this. We believe the world's media should work together as much as possible to bring stories to a broad international readership.

m4a1usr
12-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Tell that to the families of the DEAD Afghanistan collaborators who have provided intelligence to US forces so we (US and NATO forces) could combat terrorism in a country frought with corruption at all levels of government. That results in lives saved. Ours and theirs. Oh Yeah. Placard the web for all to see such documents capable of fueling the hatred the makes terrorists get up and strap on that bomb to get even with western society by killing you and me in our homeland. Then another master of perception takes a quick hike to the local provincencial school and bomb the *!***!***!***!** out of some for children to ensure they cant become informed of geographical realities. Cut off the heads of people wanting change. Oh Yeah. This freaking guy Julian is a hero. We need a world of his type.

I'm going to guess your being sarcastic. Hopefully you are. The world is a terrible place. Its not homogenous. What we like is nothing compared to what "they" like. Thats their opinion. But we are their victims.

Information is sensitive in many applications. Its been a long freak'n time that the words " loose lips, sink ships" pertained to America's fate. We should never forget the past. Otherwise we are condemned to repeat it. Maybe at the sake of yours and my families!

John

Flying Scotsman
12-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Frankly Rummy, I think the revelations on Wiki were a diasastour and were brought forward by an American dillusional intelligence officer who should be tried for treason....still love you though for your fresh opinions.

Douggie

Rumdog
12-09-2010, 09:08 AM
lol. I'm not joking.
Keep the wool pulled over, and ask no questions.
The truth hurts, huh?

Doby
12-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Just because you can do something,,doesn't mean that you should.

The masses do not need to know everything nor should they.

There's a greater picture that needs to be looked at.

Flying Scotsman
12-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Of course people talk about other people behind their backs, that is human nature. The release of these diplomatic documents is just plain dumb and stirs up animosity between the parties involved. Imagine if your private conversations were revealed, I think you would not be a happy camper as your boss fires you, the wife and your friends desert you.

Douggie

Rumdog
12-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah, Douggie.. but you can't point the finger at the guy giving the facts. Point your finger at the liars. Nobody is force feeding you this info, and it is our right to have it.
Choose to be involved, or not.
If you consider yourself, or want to consider yourself a patriot, you should be well aware of the dealings of your gov't.
Big brother needs to be knocked off his high horse and be held accountable just like the rest of us.

Now he's accused of rape. That's my favorite. What a effing joke.

Rumdog
12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
BTW, I dont *!***!***!***!** talk my wife.

Flying Scotsman
12-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Rummy, the one real disaster was releasing that Saudia Arebia asked for an attack on Iran...that has posioned Middle East relations for a long time and may cause a war...nuclear...not cool.

Douggie

Xzessperated
12-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Rummy, the one real disaster was releasing that Saudia Arebia asked for an attack on Iran...that has posioned Middle East relations for a long time and may cause a war...nuclear...not cool.

Douggie

Douggie. I think the really important point is that this information has been so easy for WikiLeaks to get. I agree with Rummy that Julian is just the messenger and he has shown us how good our leaders are at keeping secrets. If it is so easy for WikiLeaks to get their hands on information like this, and so much of it, I am left wondering what the spies of our enemies know about us. After reading some of the leaked material I am left wondering if our own governments are not our worst enemies eg. Australia's ex Prime Minister told Hillary that the US might have to use force on China. What a disaster that would be.

The big thing I learned from this is... never have sex in Sweden

m4a1usr
12-09-2010, 03:13 PM
........... and it is our right to have it.

Your serious? You actualy believe its a RIGHT to have this information? By whose standards? Yours? What qualifies sensitive information gathered by less then "free" media gathering methods, then distribute such information with no responsiblity/ liability as to its implication of useage or consequences as such? Are you confusing the 1st amendment as some form of information sharing right? You have no "right" to gather, store in your possesion, distribute and or share any information that was not gathered in a legal means. You may be able to do such just because the technology exsists for you to accomplish this but you have no right.

Wikileak does no such thing either. They are "given", illeagaly in most cases, sensitive information/ documents by people with less then admirable personalities or characteristics. Sometimes motivated by delusional fame, lucent desire to acquire some form of notoriety. These people are selfish. Only seeing what their shortsighted perspective allows in front there lifestyle. There not heroes. Far from it. They are the sort that would sell you out in a second if they got some benefit from it. Collaborators in denial of human safety.

The Soviet KGB used to travel into other nations, not all that long ago, and made you dead for such acts if it applied to national security of the USSR. Current international intelligence agencies might still do this today but only when directed by circumstances.

This Wiki thing is not a simple "sharing of curious" information. It has global implications of the magnitude to cause injury and death to innocent people. Why would anyone participate in a willing manner? Dont people have a consencious anymore? Because you didnt pull the trigger in a murder/assination as some form of retaliation related to items of a sensitive nature released from one of these documents you feel no implication on your part?

What a cold, low life approach to social responsibility. Not you Rummy, just anyone who thinks life has no such morality.

John

Doby
12-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Julian needs to get laid more often....but wait a minute, there seems to be only one way he can do that......

Seriously, this guy is not doing any good by doing this. Just another fame hound...how long before his story comes to a cineplex near you!

egneg
12-09-2010, 04:43 PM
It's just like the hackers screwing up all our PC's with worms and saying it's to help us make them more secure.

Rumdog
12-09-2010, 06:07 PM
you guys are great. You obviously dont see the real evil in the world, which is the problem. Shoot the messenger, right? Care to discuss the info released? Probably not.

Flying Scotsman
12-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Rummy, love you but that is a crap statement.....the Saudia Arabia release was very dangerous to our lives.

Douggie

dana
12-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Rummy, love you but that is a crap statement.....the Saudia Arabia release was very dangerous to our lives.

Douggie

which one?

Flying Scotsman
12-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Dana, that the Saudi King would want to slay the head of the snake in Iran and ask the USA to attack Iran

Douggie

Rumdog
12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
OK. Watch it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vYajkZHrY&feature=related

m4a1usr
12-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Care to discuss the info released?

Absolutely. Lets discuss that topic specificly since it screams the loudest danger of this POS global conspirator of his logic of giving the world so much "dirty little secrets to set the world free".

WikiLeaks on Dec 5th, just a few days ago, published a secret State Department cable that lists hundreds of overseas factories and infrastructure sites vital to the United States -- a revelation that security experts called a gift to terrorists.

Specific pipeline, mine, undersea-cable and factory locations are spelled out in the February 2009 "critical foreign dependencies" memo signed by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

It says that if any of the sites were to be "destroyed, disrupted or exploited," there would be "an immediate and deleterious effect on the United States."

....Meanwhile, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has threatened that if his activities are curtailed, he has more dirty tricks up his sleeve.

He said he would release passwords necessary to access already circulated but encrypted files that contain a slew of unredacted and uncensored documents embarrassing to governments and corporations, The Sunday Times of London said.

Assange described the documents -- which include, among other things, information on the Guantanamo Bay prison and BP Oil -- as his "insurance" against arrest or cyber shutdown.

Releasing vital strategic points in America's infrastructure, while threatening to reveal more if anyone gets in his way, is known as EXTORTION. When the national security of an entire nation is the object of said extortion, that crime is called TERRORISM. Just the facts right?

And like al-Qaeda, WikiLeaks taunts the United States with evidence of their so-called "failures". So shall we continue with more examples? I can list a lot more of this crap since he has released well over 400,000 documents, with more then 20,000 of them being classified as Secret or higher.

John

drwayne
12-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Wikileaks have opened Pandora's box.
Agreed, irresponsible to release anything affecting personnel/personal safety.
Bugger the political angles.... let the bastards worry what we learn may cease their agendas.

The person(s) responsible for original source and supply of these documents must face their peers .....
Assange is just a conduit.. do you intend to equally punish the newsmedia for propagating Wikileaks ?

I acknowledge the culpable negligence of conscience re some papers released.

However, some have brought to light matters best pursued....

Several US-Diplomatic documents Wikileaks released confirm our recently deposed AU Prime Minister as a power-dazzled self-effacing butt-licking sycophantic bilingual-liar ... whose concealed self promoting antics if revealed years before wouldve resulted in the dissolution of his government ...... sadly the prick remained in power and royally screwed us all.
The disclosed coercion and manipulation of this turd heralded a brief wave of distrust from Australia to her allies.

We now mop up the stench he left behind.

We all have the right to know what stimulates our Government's backroom policies.... had this knowledge been ours years before we wouldve manipulated him out the door... but his position was in favor with US regulators ... and our whitewashed newsmedia said zip, and we ( the people ) got fubar'd.

Keep it clean.
This is an open forum for open discussion.
Wayne