PDA

View Full Version : Rubber steering rod boots

bwells
12-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I've gone through 2 of the Proboat boots with very minimal use and was wondering if this is normal. I use super glue to hold them in the transom and it makes it hard to change. Has anyone run across this problem of them ripping and if so, what is a better route? I've seen some that have a metal ring to hold them which would make it easier to change if that is what needs to be done on a regular basis.:confused1:

CornelP
12-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I just use an aluminum pipe through the transom and zip tie the boot to it. A lot easier than using what they usually supply in the sets.

Boomer
12-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Why didn't I think of that? :doh:

bwells
12-06-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm guessing there is a good 1/4 inch (5-6 mm) of side to side movement of the steering rod. How big of a piece of tubing do you use and do you epoxy this in the transom? I take it that the boots do rip. Could the quality of the rubber be a concern?

CornelP
12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Quality of the rubber matters, the shiny surface ones I had failed...
I use a 10mm OD tubing, 1mm wall thickness (that's what I have in stock), but you can use brass or acrylic as well. I leave about 5-6mm inside, just enough for the epoxy to get a good grip and about 10mm outside. Once you roughen up a bit the tube with an 80 grit sandpaper, epoxy will be fine.
One more thing I know for a guy with more experience: use some grease to coat the boot from time to time, it will last longer... but do not use WD40, very bad for some rubbers.

bwells
12-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks. I was wondering about grease as the rod does not appear to slide through the boot but instead takes it to it's limits.

Boomer
12-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Hydrocarbons (petroleum based) and rubber don't generally like one another. Petroleum greases would not be your best choice. :thumbsdown:

Not knowing what the boots are actually made from, I use silcone lubricants which play well with rubber or plastics. The rubber like boot could very well be a form of plastic rather than rubber. Things like PVC, ABS and some other thermoplastics don't like solvent/petroleum based chemicals either.

I like silcone lubricatants in general and they are easy to find. :thumbup:

Just an FYI from an old guy that spend several decades in the plastics industry.

Boomer

Insaniac
12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
If you really want to get fancy use Redline Motors pushrod seal mounts that go with the Aeromarine pushrod seals. The seals have more pleats and will stretch a longer distance...

http://redlinemotors.us/#/radio-box-accessories/4542189154