PDA

View Full Version : Bec or Not on Tactic 2.4

Jeff Wohlt
12-05-2010, 02:12 PM
For some reason I do not know if my AC 2.4 Tactic radio is BEC. Running a SK180 and just wondered if I need to remove red wire and run a batt pack. Or just plug it in to the ESC radio plug?

I think I have lost it!

egneg
12-05-2010, 03:43 PM
The ESC determines whether or not if you need a battery pack. If it is an opto you need one.

Jeff Wohlt
12-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Ah....not sure why I thought the rec had to say BEC or not. It is a SK180 so I know it has BEC.

Thanks

Shooter
12-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Funny, I asked the same thing. The older Futaba RX's (1980's) used to have BEC written right on them. I learned the hard way and BEC'd a non-BEC. Oh...the smell!!! I think we used to run full batt voltage (7.2) to the RX's....can't remember. Sure have come a long way with batts, TX, and RX's. This 2.4ghz stuff is amazing!

draughted
12-27-2010, 09:15 PM
i for one have the tactics 2.4ghz receiver and i know for a fact that the receiver draws a lot of power. so a non switch mode bec will be in sufficient at anything over 7.4 volt.
i would just make sure you have a proper switch mode bec of sufficient amperage if you use a high voltage.

carlcisneros
12-27-2010, 09:33 PM
run a sperate receiver pack and be done with it.
can't go wrong there.

sailr
12-28-2010, 09:42 AM
once again... the receiver has NOTHING to do with whether it's BEC or not. That is strictly a feature of the ESC. If your ESC doesn't have a BEC you have to run a separate receiver pack. ...and vice-versa.

Not sure where you get that the tactic receiver pulls a lot of power? Receivers don't pull but a few milliamps. If you're getting short battery life, then it's your servo/esc that's pulling it down, not the receiver.

The tactic works just fine whichever way you want to go, with, or without BEC type ESC.

draughted
12-28-2010, 08:32 PM
perhaps i was just using to large a voltage.
it happens it was not a switching bec and i just wanted to make the point that it does not matter if the reciever has a rating it just need plenty of power.