PDA

View Full Version : P1 prop talk/discussion

antslake
12-02-2010, 01:32 AM
I wanted to start a thread specifically on prop selection for the P1. Post your stats:

Prop and work done to it
cell count and what battery
Speed
Amps
watts
rpm's
and maybe a little write up on how you think the prop is, and how you got the measurements

I'll start:

x437/3 sharpened by fine design
4S 5400 20C venom
38mph
69amps
1236watts
31300rpms
Good prop with lots of bite. Has a tendency to torque roll the boat in the chop. I am using eagle tree 150amp data logger with gps and rpm sensor.

x437/3
3S 3200 Kokams
23mph
40amps
450watts
18,000rpm's
Great combination for wave jumping, and letting the kids learn on it.

x437/3
5s
44mph
88 amps
1510 watts (peak)
36000+rpm
too much prop for 5S

y536 sharpened and polished myself.
4s
36mph
67 amps
1100 watts
31500 rpms
Prop has less bite than the 3blade. Great handling for the boat, but the prop is slower, most likely because I messed up the cupping when I sharpened it. My first prop. I am doing more work to it now. I am turning more rpm's and going slower with it, which shows signs of slipping.

If you don't have all the numbers, just post what you can. I have a x438 to try. I also bought a x435, and x432 to try, but the shaft size was too small, made a mistake in ordering I guess. I need a smaller prop for running 5s and 6s on the stock setup, or maybe this is just too much for this boat.

I took my y536 and cut the tongues off, and I am going to try it next chance I get.

antslake
12-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Well the prop was a bit of a let down. I lost about 5mph, but the amps went down. I am trying to get a good 6s prop, and keep the amps safe.

Jesse J
12-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I wish I could partake... but I just got a couple runs on the x642 and was happy. but being end of season, I didn't get a chance to try any others or do any data logging. I will keep an eye on this, should be good

antslake
12-06-2010, 01:33 AM
I tried to get a 2200kv motor from fightercat, but he was out. I just ordered a 1600kv from HK, and a 80amp marine turnigy speed control as back ups.
I also ordered a few props from OSE, I got a x640, a2137/3, v940/3 a prop balancer, and 3 carbon props, 39mm/3, s series 42mm, k series 40mm.

I have a prop balancer already, but it is more for planes, I like the one I ordered from OSE. The 2137/3 and v940/3 are going to be for 3S setups. I am thinking to go to 6S with this boat might not be the best thing. I am wondering how much I can get out of a 3S setup. I have a couple 5400 3S packs. According a prop chart I was looking at, 20k rpm and the 2137/3 on a mono with 20% slippage can get you 50mph. Wonder what the amps will be, and if it will even work. 3S gives me around 20k rpm with that motor.

I also have a x438 sitting on the boat just waiting to try. Weather sucks around here. But usually we don't get ice until after X-mas, so there may be a few more chances for playing around. I will post all the results as I get them.

jamespl
12-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I dont know what speed you are looking for but with the turnigy 1600kv motor on 5s, an x640 prop and timing set to 15deg my p1 was pretty much as fast as i would want it, it was in a tiny bit of chop though. But im no expert and i only use the p1 for a bit of fun sport boating.

antslake
12-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I am not looking for any particular speed, but anything over 50 would probably be smokin for this hull. I just love experimenting, and then writing about it, and sharing the info. I am going to see how I can much effciency I can extract out of the stock motor combo. I also do want to push it too much, as I would like the boat to last. Once and a while go for a speed run. Remember, I have more fun on 3S doing 23mph in 1 foot waves than 40mph on glass.

My guess with your setup (and I get this from using prop charts and real world figures of voltages underload) is that you are doing about 45-48mph. I hope you can GPS her when you get a chance. I would love to know the amps too.

I am no expert either, after being away from boats for so long, so I am open to all suggestions. Best case scenario we learn from each other.

antslake
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I wish I could partake... but I just got a couple runs on the x642 and was happy. but being end of season, I didn't get a chance to try any others or do any data logging. I will keep an eye on this, should be good

Hows that x642 fit under the rudder bracket? Can you post a pic of it?

tunnelvision
12-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey Antslake,

You've posted alot of great info and cool vids on this boat it made me go out and buy one! Sold my Supervee R to get it.
I am going to try a x637 and maybe move to a x640 when I get the boat. What do you think?

Jesse J
12-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Hows that x642 fit under the rudder bracket? Can you post a pic of it?

Recall, I am using a different rudder bracket (MHZ) for the P1, and upon installation I made sure I had room to go up to 47mm if need be.

See my MHZ Fountain Shockwave below, I have a shot of that prop in the Venom hardware (I had to cut a slight groove in the bracket to accommodate adjustability in the strut).

4th pic is of the MHZ hardware on the P1, that is a 47mm prop just to show the amount of room I have. I did run it with 42mm prop, but couldn't asses very well due to twitching at speeds. Am thinking about offsetting the rudder 1" to starboard, but that will most likely entail going to stinger strut...... ahhh the things that keep you from sleeping at night.

antslake
12-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Antslake,

You've posted alot of great info and cool vids on this boat it made me go out and buy one! Sold my Supervee R to get it.
I am going to try a x637 and maybe move to a x640 when I get the boat. What do you think?

LOL! cool. I haven't had a chance to run either of those props yet, but a few folk here say the x640 is good. I just got one in the mail, but it might not be until spring that I have a chance to try it, and post the numbers. I got a bunch of cool looking props to try out, and lots of filing and polishing to do.

antslake
12-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Recall, I am using a different rudder bracket (MHZ) for the P1, and upon installation I made sure I had room to go up to 47mm if need be.

Oh ok, I read those threads. I just feel to change everything seems like a waste of money to me. I would prefer to start with a new hull, and then go from there. Unless of course I just wear stuff out, then I would replace with the better stuff.

Jesse J
12-11-2010, 09:05 AM
I just feel to change everything seems like a waste of money to me. I would prefer to start with a new hull, and then go from there.

no waste at all, beautiful hull - unless you are talking of getting a bare KOS hull. But for me, the hardware worked great on the smaller boat, so no starting over for me.

forescott
12-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I wish I could partake in prop testing, but alas my p-1 sits on a shelf gathering dust as I wait patiently for venom to send me a new hatch.....:blink:

antslake
12-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Blew my flex cable today. It wasn't pretty, I think the smoke was the cooking teflon. Split the cable in half, and twisted it like a pretzel. Melted the aluminum tube too. I got a video, just have to edit it. I was testing the X438, it was running pretty nice, but I think the speeds were down, because of the flex cable starting to bind. I think the speeds were down on my last run too, or possibly the gps is not working correctly. One of you mentioned to me before what to do. I would just like to repair this as simple as possible, and try and keep the same hardware. The hull and everything else is ok. I blew it while trying 5S, and when the cable snapped, the motor hit 41,000 rpms for a sec. It losened the screws that hold the cooling fan plate on the front of the motor, from the insane vibration. Dam I was having fun too!

forescott
12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Did you ever fix the alignment issues with the motor mount to the stuffing tube. Mine, and a couple other forum members had issues with the flex cable not lining up with the motor coupler, and having to bend the cable up slightly to make it enter the coupler. I had to remove my motor mount and grind the bottom of it down a bit to get it to seat lower in the hull to line it up better. This would definetly cause the flex to eventually overheat and do exactly what yours did.

On another note, I just received the turnigy typhoon outrunner and its end bell plate came loose on its first run too. One screw came out and the other was loose but held on and it swung the little round plate around like a knife and made a real mess of my wiring inside. Needless to say I put it back on with a little lock-tite!!

antslake
12-12-2010, 11:22 PM
No, I never fixed it, it was a little off. I will be making sure it lines up now....I hope I can fix this easy, and in time to get a few more runs. But the lake might freeze early this year anyway.

antslake
12-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a wire drive setup that will work with my existing hardware?

+++edit+++ I found it, Jeff Wohlt's site. I wrote to him, and hopefully I can get something soon. Running out of time hear with the weather. Winter is taking an early set. Going to have to switch gears soon, and start working on the 3 wheeler.

jamespl
12-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I know venom are out of sock at the mo but won't they send you one under warranty? As for the weather we have had it real bad in The UK -10 some days so I think the boating is done till around march now. Only got one run out the new turnigy motor! Luckily I'm getting a traxxas rustler vxl for Christmas to tinker with.

antslake
12-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't know if they would even have one to send. I need a tube, liner, and cable. Anyway, I think I am switching it to a wire drive. I wrote to Venom about the alignment issue.

Once we get ice here, it's ATV time, and ice racing.

jamespl
12-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Let me know what venom say about the alignment issue. Would be interested to know.

forescott
12-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Actually I sold my hatch to another member that wated one really bad to get up and running. Then about a week later he sold his boat! :doh: I have the wire drive setup already but can't try it out yet. Knowing venom, with issues I had with their c-1 cat, its unlikely they will accept any responsibility for the broken shaft. You're better off trying to fix it yourself.

antslake
12-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I have a video of when it happened, so they can clearly see I didn't do anything wrong. I've pretty much documented every run with the boat so far. Either way I don't really care, it's a Chinese made bargain, and there was bound to be a few things wrong. So far on two other issues, they honored their warranty, so I have no complaints. I am sure if I pushed it, they would probably honor this one too, but I think I prefer the wire drive anyway. I do hope they take what I am saying, and go to the plant where they make these, and try to correct the situation.

Jesse J
12-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Actually I sold my hatch to another member that wated one really bad to get up and running. Then about a week later he sold his boat! :doh: I have the wire drive setup already but can't try it out yet. Knowing venom, with issues I had with their c-1 cat, its unlikely they will accept any responsibility for the broken shaft. You're better off trying to fix it yourself.

I'll see if I can make you one - that will do until Venom has them in stock. or you could buy mine and then be extra happy!!

forescott
12-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Stock status says late december. I already have one on order. It's ok jesse, I have plenty of other boats I can run in the mean-time! :hug1:

antslake
12-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Are you selling your KOS Jesse?

Oh, and here are some pictures of the damage. I got happy when Wholt wrote back to me first thing in the morning, but I haven't heard back from him today. I kind of wanted to get it in the mail today. I still might have a chance at doing some runs. Usually it doesn't ice up here until Jan, but the way it's going, who knows.

Jesse J
12-14-2010, 01:13 AM
yep selling, bargain to say the least. wire drive ought to rock, I'll be watching to see how it turns out.

antslake
12-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Here is a video of the flex cable going. Come along for the ride with my Venom hat cam :)

7r70pji6nrQ

jamespl
12-15-2010, 10:53 AM
No way, sssmokin! Deans on 5s? Mine melted on 4s, ec5 connectors all the way now.

antslake
12-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't think it is the volts that kill deans, it is the amps. I am only at 60 amps, and the largest spike I had was 90. Everything I have is in deans, going to be a lot to change, if I have too. I think deans are good up to 100amps?

forescott
01-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Finally got a new hatch for the p-1 and got it back on the water with my new wire drive setup and turn fins. Handles Waaaaaay better with the fins, and the wire drive seems to work well with the exception of a little too much water in the hull. Looks like around 40mph with the 640 prop.

LaxBro14
08-27-2011, 01:17 PM
hey antslake, how was the temperature of your motor and esc when u ran on 5s lipo. I am thinking about buying the kos p1 and would like a little more speed then the 30-40mph range without spending alot of money on changing the motor or esc. The guys at venom told me not to run over 4s, but if your 5s worked fine and was in the mid-forties mph range then that would be cool. If this is not possible with stock setup then i might do what jamespl did and get the turnigy 1600kv motor. He said it was a direct replacement motor so, it sounds simple enough to change it.

antslake
09-02-2011, 12:39 PM
It all depends what prop you run. Running this boat at those speeds is pretty hairy, and unless it is absolutely flat you will probably flip it all the time. The motor gets pretty hot in the summer running 5S and x437 3blade, too hot for my liking. 4S is more than enough for everyday running. I only do 5S and 6S when going for a speed run. It's really pushing it though. I actually have the most fun running 3S in the mid-20's in rough water. I will be experimenting with hot 3S setups this fall.

LaxBro14
09-02-2011, 07:39 PM
well maybe i'll do that, get 5s for speed runs and 4s for the rest of the time?? I dont know.... Maybe for $20 it would be worth it to buy the motor jamespl has and run 5s the whole time..... I really dont know what to do..... anyway i dont know what charger to get, what do u reconmend??

antslake
09-02-2011, 08:53 PM
It all depends what prop you run. I will tell you what Chris from Venom told me. Get an eagle tree data logger and start experimenting. I bought one of those motors too, but I haven't tried it yet. As a matter of fact I have a 1600KV, a 2000KV, and the stock 2200KV motor to play with. I also bought a turnigy 80amp speed control. So far everything is holding up under my extreme runs, but it is stressing the system, and putting the boat at speeds that it just wasn't designed to run. 30-40 mph is fine for that boat, and you better have it tuned right (tabs, and prop angle). That boat can get airborne quickly.
I am using the icharger 1010b. I bought a bunch of 2 and 3 cell 5400mah packs, and can arrange them in 3,4,5,6s configurations. I am using venom packs as well, but they charge at 1c, which takes an hour or more to charge. But I have enough packs to get 4 runs in which is usually enough. You could get some of these new 6c charge rate packs, and have the 1010b charge them in 10 mins.
I have other chargers too, so when I get home, I just gang everything on the chragers and in an hour I got everything charged again.
The x438, and the 640 props work good on this boat, but can draw over 60 amps at full throttle, so be careful. The speed control in the boat is pretty hardy according to venom, and what I have experienced.
Change the bearing to a boca bearing in the drive strut, and get yourself extra drive cable.

antslake
11-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Correction on the last statement, the stock motor is 2000KV. The motor I got from fightercat racing is 2200KV. Which I just installed. I am trying some more props, and more data to follow. I had to return all my Venom packs, because they all lost their capacity, and all got puffy before the one year warranty. Venom will be testing them and hopefully sending me some new ones. I hope so because I did not come anywhere near what these packs are rated for, and always took care of them.

I just got 2, 2s Turnigy 5.0 packs, and I have to say I am very impressed. These packs barely get warm when I run them.

I tried my 940/3 prop and was disappointed. Lots of cavitation. Couldn't really tell how fast it would be because it was a bit too rough, and couldn't open it up. Once it hooked, it seemed to really want to go. I will be putting back in my eagle tree and trying it again. It might be good for a top speed run, we will have to see.

I also tried a 42mm Gruapner carbon prop, and all I can say is WOW. Hooks from the beginning, and blazingly fast on 4S. Keep in mind that I have swapped out the motor to fighter cats 2200KV motor, but the boat never felt better. It had great take off, great top speed, lot's of control, and handled awesome. I'll try to get better data this week, and some video.

I have a wire drive in the mail, going to be trying that too. I am also still using the stock speed control, and this could be limiting me too. I have a 80amp turnigy that I need to get busy on and get in there, because I am sure I am drawing over 60amps, but not much more. So far I am thoroughly impressed with the stock speed control and motor.