PDA

View Full Version : 14 cells = Radio Problems

smithder
12-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I purchased two new IB 4300 7 cell packs. I have ran the boat with these packs about 5 times with no problems. (It is a differant boat with these bad boys) Now my radio is acting very wierd. I tried twisting the reciever wire and replaced the transmitter bateries, but not much better. It has short range and likes to turn hard right when you give it throttle. I know the stock radio it junk, but I did not want to have to replace it just yet. It works fine with my old venom 3600 6 cell crap packs, just slow in comparision.

If there is no chance of making this radio better what is the cheapest replacement option? Will other radios have problems on 14 cells?

THANKS

H&MWill
12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
You are not suppose to leave the BEC hooked up when running more than 12 cells. You will need to disable it and run a seperate receiver pack.

smithder
12-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Does this only apply to the crapy stock radio, or is it applicable to all radios? What about a BEC?

H&MWill
12-02-2007, 09:28 PM
It is with all radios. Look here.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-aqum7010&cat=75

soliverg
01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I to have a same problem (the local hobby shop said it would be ok), only found this site after the deed though. I have now disconnected the red Esc wire going to the receiver and put in a a separate receiver battery. Now the problem is the boat still behaves like a runaway being spasmatic in operation. Its as if there is a receiver problem not receiving the signal constantly.
The receiver battery is fine as I run the yacht with it. Im not sure if the receiver is alright though.

The receiver aerial has been changed from the stock setup. I plugged the hole with hotglue and a small piece of ply on the inside. Then used a RC truck telescopic stainless aerial fitted where the origional came through. Its watertight and functional. I have not shortened the wire simply soldered the end to the new areial which is abount 20cm when extended. Did it this way as I dont like putting holes in boats, and the origional hole dosent look plugged up.

The boat worked fine untill I ran it with 7 cells. Only went to 7's as the 6 pack had a bad cell from new.

Any suggestions? Is it the ESC that could bave meen damaged or the Receiver?
Should I cut the wire aerial to maintain the origional length? possibly part of the problem.

ice329
01-28-2009, 10:15 AM
with the bec disconested and your still getting glitches.. then must be the radio. Or someplace in you electical system something is loose.

soliverg
01-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks, last night I shortened the total antenna length to 50 cm (inc the extendable bit and took the receiver out of the box and placed it, away from the other electrics, in the rear righthand corner.Walked about 100 meters down the road pulling the trigger every now and then for a second, testing for glitches (other than deliberate throttle and steering). All worked OK except for a couple of small interferences. Which may have been someting around. I also replaced the receiver battery just to make sure. Will test in the drink next time. Any more and I will replace the receiver.