PDA

View Full Version : New/different way for offset rudder

hobie
11-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Hello all,
been working woth a buddy of mine, and we came up with a nifty idea to get the rudder completely out of the way of the prop wash.
I wont be able to test it for a few months, since everything is all frozen, but I've got some pics and maybe someone down in the south could try it and see how it works....??
Let me know what ya all think

hobie
11-27-2010, 05:59 PM
A couple more closer pics...

ron1950
11-28-2010, 12:22 AM
looks good..send me your boat ill test it all winter long for ya lol....

hobie
11-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks!
I'm ready to jump on a plane with my boat and head south till i find water... lol
now, if i can sweet talk a life gaurd at the local pool.....
Everyone has been talking about the drag from the brackets and stuff, I'm hoping this eliminates that issue

slowroll
11-28-2010, 09:59 AM
:iagree: I had the same idea but i was going to keep the original strut bracket (both halfs) and cut them down to the edg of the strut. Simular to what you have done. And then i was going to use a UL 1 rudder mounting bracket and cut the lenght down on the miss g rudder bracket to my desired lenth and drill new holes or longate them for adjustment , mount it on the right side of trans and try that. We will see what happens?? May still look into putting a longer rudder on it also,alot of talk about it making the steering sharper and better steering?? we will see. ? ...slowroll (florida) ha .ha. !

hobie
11-28-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm kist waiting for the pieces to come in, then I get a half, and my buddy gets the other half. I'm nowhere near done, but I'm doing other things as well. Can't run till April or may, so I have a bit of time. Might look at a new paint job, since I see one can get the stock sticker package from Proboat. Maybe a cool pearl, or something that's flashy. Lol! I'm such a nerd with this stuff, and I love it!!! Lol!!! :)

ron1950
11-28-2010, 12:37 PM
planning on paintaing mine also...wonder what paint will work best .....

hobie
11-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm not to sure. But I thought about taking it to a body shop, I would peel all stickers, and say here, make it look pretty. Cause with an automotive clear coat on it, should be tough as nails??? But, like I said, I have no idea.

ron1950
11-28-2010, 12:52 PM
thanks..decals are off mine all ready ....the red bleed through to the paint..cheep china decals..tryed to rub it off with rubbing achohal (spelling) but nothing.....

LiPo Power
11-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Would you be able to make couple of pictures of how it looks inside whare is mounted please?
Thanks
Robert

Hello all,
been working woth a buddy of mine, and we came up with a nifty idea to get the rudder completely out of the way of the prop wash.
I wont be able to test it for a few months, since everything is all frozen, but I've got some pics and maybe someone down in the south could try it and see how it works....??
Let me know what ya all think

slowroll
12-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I also would like to see or know what the inside looks like , and how you mounted it. Did you cut out the big chunk of junk with the little piece of twig attached to it.. inside where the bolts come thru before you mounted it or just screwed it thru the hull? any type of backing sapport for strenth.????

7500RPM
12-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi hobie

I was thinking of a new paint job too, I have all the equipment so we can spray auto colors if you like. We can correct the ride pads at the same time, drop by and we can talk about it! The Proboat brackets should be in soon..

Boomer
12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Imagination is a good thing! I am concerned if your arrangement will be strong enough?
Also you might consider using break away screw for the rudder. If you hit something solid, say a turtle, a carp or a piece of wood, with a solid bolt set up, you could break the back of the boat. Just a thought.
Thanks
Boomer

hobie
12-01-2010, 09:32 PM
K, sorry for the delay, been at a course.
As far as stregnth, it should be no weaker than the stock setup, well, maybe a bit cause there is only 2 6-32 screws holding as to 4 on the stock strut.
I used a small peice of oak, cause the lack of space, and i wanted a bit more ooomph as compared to balsa. But I just looked at the stock setup and copied it as close as I could.
I didnt use a break away bolt cause there is nood need for me, we dont have turtles up this way... lol!! The pond we all go to is cleaned of debris daily. Knock on wood....

hobie
12-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi hobie

I was thinking of a new paint job too, I have all the equipment so we can spray auto colors if you like. We can correct the ride pads at the same time, drop by and we can talk about it! The Proboat brackets should be in soon..

NICE!!!!! I will talk about that next time I am by. I might wait till next year since i have this new project on the go with that Genesis....

hobie
12-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Also here is a pic of th elinkage hooked up and working. Has very nice and even motion, i didnt cut the rod yet cause it may not work (Stupid Snow), and its hard to see in the pic, but there is only a slight downward angle of the linkage, it pulls back on the boot, but doesnt seem to work the servo..... Time will tell. Hurry up April!!!!

slowroll
12-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Looks good !!! Did you lay the oak flush against the rear ? or did you have to cut out the ridge on the inside to make it sit flush?? You know the seam with the little piece of wood on it? The altered stock peices look good . Almost makes me want to order another set and use them instead of using the UL 1 rudder mount bracket. NICE JOB !!

7500RPM
12-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Looks good !!! Did you lay the oak flush against the rear ? or did you have to cut out the ridge on the inside to make it sit flush?? You know the seam with the little piece of wood on it? The altered stock peices look good . Almost makes me want to order another set and use them instead of using the UL 1 rudder mount bracket. NICE JOB !!

That was the idea, to keep all the hardware looking original! we have extra Proboat parts coming so the strut bracket will be back to normal just shortened up to the strut, so it will take any prop size no matter where the strut is adjusted to.

Hobie, I will check tonight when the extra parts are expected to arrive.. Hurry up April thaw!!!

slowroll
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
You still have not answerd the question ,of did you remove the buildup inside the hull before you installed the oak?? or did you just lay it over it and screw it down..

hobie
12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Sorry, left my phone at home today.
I had to use a dremel with an attachment small enough to reach. And I filed off the edge of glue, at least that's what I think it is. But then I was able to lay it flush against the hull.

hobie
12-02-2010, 06:39 PM

Oh, and thanks for the complement. I was leary on cutting it, but figured a new set is only a trip to the hobby shop!!