PDA

View Full Version : Which castle motor??

forescott
11-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Well, I was gonna purchase a 540 motor for a blackjack 26. But why pay 70-bucks for a 540 when I can get a castle for less? So I was thinking the castle 1518 on 4s, but then the outrunners caught my attention. Anyone have any experience with the castle outrunners? They have an 1800kv version for 50-bucks, and I wouldn't have to wait for a water jacket. Any thoughts??

Make-a-Wake
11-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Those have caught my eye too.......bet they're good motors. You also get an additional 20% off on the black friday sale...............only 40 bucks for it.

forescott
11-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Here is a little interesting info I found on another forum posted by a castle employee.

Castle's Vertigo motor line, most of which will be outrunners, has been on hold for a number of reasons. We still have every intention of bringing quality motors to market at a fair price. As all Castle motors were/are made in a factory (yes, China) that produces only to our specs, we just needed to be assured that our production capabilities were sufficient to meet the demand. That includes demand for our car motors as well as air products. Turns out it wasn't working well in our opinion, so we've gone another direction.

Castle has been working on a number of major steps, including the creation of a wholly Castle-owned motor factory (yes, China), to help us bring high quality motors to the RC market at a reasonable price.

That factory is up and running and they are doing a great job. We've also moved our KS facility to a bigger building (yes, still in Kansas) such that we can add more production capacity.

So, what you have here in these garage sale outrunners are limited quantity runs from our previous factory. These are good / great motors. We just weren't comfortable that we would have an ongoing supply of them from that manufacturer, so we will be making them ourselves in our Chinese plant.

We haven't gotten the new plant to the point where they can make all of our car motors AND handle the outrunners for the Vertigo line. Yet. It will happen.

So, that is why these sale outrunners cannot be replaced -- we don't have a source for them anymore.

The Vertigo line will be here. Most of you who know us well should also respect that I cannot offer a date for their arrival.

Hope this helps.

Rumdog
11-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Get the 1512 1800kv. The 1518 will be too much for that boat.
You wont be able to take advantage of the big props it will spin.

forescott
11-25-2010, 10:48 AM
What about a water jacket?

Rumdog
11-25-2010, 10:49 AM
The 1515 jacket can be made to work with minimal grinding where the motor wires exit the can.

forescott
11-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Awesome, and they are in stock. I will definetly consider that!