PDA

View Full Version : NEU 1515 1.5y 6 runs on her... very very little cogging?

JMSCARD
11-22-2010, 04:23 PM
SOLD to Dangerous Toys

Here is a 6 run old 1515 1.5y (1500KV) that was in my mean machine... very very low use..... :(

I bought this in 08' from Fine Design... (yes I actually got my motor..lol)

Anyway I ran this never over 140 degrees and after 6 runs took it out and no cogging... still seemed to run fine.. just very very little cogging.... I don't remember if it had any before but my other 1515 1.5y's have some cogging... not crazy amount but some.... OH this was in a boat with a subhatch since new too so NEVER seen water or Moisture even for that matter :)

There is NO end play and the bearings are VERY tight as it has seen little use.... don't know if someone would want to use as is or send it in to NEU... I just don't even want to deal with it.....

We will start it out at $88 Shipped? motor has no smell and hasn't nor is the wiring burnt at all.... and seems to run out ok..? hmmm

johnf
11-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Jason, my brand new 1515 1y is that way. Some seem to do it more than others. I had a 1527 that was like that also. I imagine you are selling a perfectly fine motor for dirt cheap.

RIPFENCE
11-22-2010, 06:54 PM
here is a 6 run old 1515 1.5y that was in my mean machine... Very very low use..... :(

i bought this in 08' from fine design... (yes i actually got my motor..lol)

anyway i ran this never over 140 degrees and after 6 runs took it out and no cogging... Still seemed to run fine.. Just very little cogging.... I don't remember if it had any before but my other 1515 1.5y's have some cogging... Not crazy amount but some.... Oh this was in a boat with a subhatch since new too so never seen water or moisture even for that matter :)

there is no end play and the bearings are very tight as it has seen little use.... Don't know if someone would want to use as is or send it in to neu... I just don't even want to deal with it.....

We will start it out at $88 shipped? Motor has no smell and hasn't nor is the wiring burnt at all.... And seems to run out ok..? Hmmm

great buy..this is like the castle creations dealer cuthroat deal...

JMSCARD
11-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Jason, my brand new 1515 1y is that way. Some seem to do it more than others. I had a 1527 that was like that also. I imagine you are selling a perfectly fine motor for dirt cheap.

Worst part is I just don't know.... I bought this when I first got heavy in fast electric... I didnt know about cogging... Lol... A year later I took it out... By then I knew more lol and noticed that it had like no cogging... Still ran fine though....good enough for some real speed in my mean machine on 5 and 6s.... Hmm what to do.... I have other 1515 1.5 y's with cogging... Of course those have different style cans too.... I'm all confused now....Sad part is this one has seen such little use too...????

johnf
11-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm sure neu would inspect it for cheap. I believe bill oxidean may have a tool to test motors also. Just some ideas. I bet you its fine.

Dangerous_Toys
11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
From RC Groups

Actually the cogging effect (technically known as detent)
is due to pole construction. The windings have no effect.

The cog or detent is the point at which the center of the magnets
perfectly line up with the ideal magnetic path through
the poles.

This detent can be sharp or soft depending on pole constrution.

A straght pole (no twist) along it's length will have
a sharp detent.

A twisted pole will have less. This is because for different
points along the rotor the magnetic "perfect" point is at a different
point in the rotation of the rotor.

Pole shape also has a factor in the detent amount as does air gap between the rotor and poles.

The drawback is loss of torque, high detent motors have higher
peak torque and better efficency than low detent motors.

The positives are smoother operation.

m4a1usr
11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
From RC Groups

Actually the cogging effect (technically known as detent)
is due to pole construction. The windings have no effect.

The cog or detent is the point at which the center of the magnets
perfectly line up with the ideal magnetic path through
the poles.

This detent can be sharp or soft depending on pole constrution.

A straght pole (no twist) along it's length will have
a sharp detent. A twisted pole will have less. This is because for different
points along the rotor the magnetic "perfect" point is at a different
point in the rotation of the rotor.

Pole shape also has a factor in the detent amount as does air gap between the rotor and poles.

The drawback is loss of torque, high detent motors have higher
peak torque and better efficency than low detent motors.

The positives are smoother operation.

That is true but it also has to do with the quality of the iron in the motor. Cheaper motor makers dont use better grade materials and the cogging is always going to be less in that makers product. Neu's tend to be at the top of the pack. But a demagnitized rotor can show the same tendenancy due to abuse. Its a gamble. Best to send the motor back to Neu and have it checked out. Or if you have a Kv checker do a self test. But not everyone has that setup in there garage for motor checking.

John

JMSCARD
11-22-2010, 09:39 PM
See some say no problems...lol... some say it may have some..... I don't know.... I think $88 bucks shipped leaves enough there so worst case scenario someone gets a good deal on the motor no matter.... if its fine as is then they stole it :) I just don't want to deal with it... I have enough on my plate, I have other 1515 1.5y's too and dont need as many as I have.... if no one wants it I will use it to buy a 2230 in the spring (for my sniper) as they will give me around a $105 credit for one by turning this one in...

Dangerous_Toys
11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
No doubt that its a great deal Jason. Just wanted to clarify what cogging is for those that dont know....:Peace_Sign:

johnf
11-22-2010, 09:45 PM
J, I think your good. Read tony's post in my thread.I'd up the price bro.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=18382

johnf
11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Your motor has the smaller strain reliefs Tony was referring too. I've abused the heck out of some brushless motors that keep coming back for more. Doubt your babied 6 run old neu is damaged.

JMSCARD
11-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Hmmm... I remember now as others were asking... the motor runs fine still... in fact the last time out my mean machine was putting good use to the kayak..... i was playing with the strut alot and the 1515 liked to make her do backflips.... lol..... I then put a 8xl motor in the boat to play on 4s.... when I went back to a 1515 1.5y I put another one I had laying around in... I think the one blackcat now has, I only ran it once with "blackcats" 1515... felt the same for sure...? but his motor it had alot more cogging... as this one spins very very easy.... hmmmm wish I knew.... guess someone will get a really good deal here.... I am not moving the price up, I have never ever liked when people have done that... so I cant go and do it now... is what it is.... I've got some pretty good buys on here myself :) as you gents probably know.. LMAO

OH I just noticed this must be the newer can too? looks like it has bigger bearings than others I have? hmmm....

johnf
11-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Well, if nothing else the link should inspire someone the confidence to take the plunge and for lack of better words...rip you off. Lol

Sorry, that's they only way I can describe this deal! You are letting someone steal that baby!

JMSCARD
11-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Well, if nothing else the link should inspire someone the confidence to take the plunge and for lack of better words...rip you off. Lol

Sorry, that's they only way I can describe this deal! You are letting someone steal that baby!

worst part is FDM was slightly overpriced then too... I think I paid $260 for it!!!

johnf
11-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Dang! If I wasn't so broke I'd be buying this with nothing to even use it for! What a friggin steal.

JMSCARD
11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Dang! If I wasn't so broke I'd be buying this with nothing to even use it for! What a friggin steal.

Take the bus to work John... %&#! the clutch...:) LOL.... JUST Kidding.... oops maybe I should delete this ...?

johnf
11-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Lmao. I thought about it.

longballlumber
11-23-2010, 08:21 AM
What controller were you using when running on 4S? Oops... I just noticed that you were running on 5S and 6S, what controller?

Thanks
Mike

JMSCARD
11-23-2010, 08:37 AM
What controller were you using when running on 4S? Oops... I just noticed that you were running on 5S and 6S, what controller?

Thanks
Mike

4s doesn't do much for me on these motors.. :) actually the lower amp 1515 1.5y 1500kv NEU like this seems to work well even on a 120amp lv esc.... I run 1515 1.5y's always on lv120 hydras.... never had a problem yet... even on 6s :)

JMSCARD
11-24-2010, 09:10 AM
good morning bump :)

Dangerous_Toys
11-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey Jason, whats the kv on this motor?

JMSCARD
11-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey Jason, whats the kv on this motor?

this is the one that likes 5 and 6s.... its the 1500kv..... you can run it on 4s with a big prop too.....

Dangerous_Toys
11-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Ok, I'll take it if you can let it go for $85 shipped. I will send as a XXXX. And can pay tonight when I get home. LMK. Thanks

JMSCARD
11-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Ok, I'll take it if you can let it go for $85 shipped. I will send as a XXXX. And can pay tonight when I get home. LMK. Thanks

that works... I will pm you my paypal detail.... since you are paying that way pm me back your ship to details with your full name..have a great day and eat light.... tommorrow we will need the space in our bellys .... :).....

Dangerous_Toys
11-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Payment Sent! :thumbup1:

JMSCARD
11-24-2010, 08:27 PM
SOLD to Dangerous!

thanks again...

blackcat26
11-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Finally! I can't believe this went that long. Thank you Dangerous for saving me from getting this. I was shaking like a dog pooping a peach seed.

Dangerous_Toys
11-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Finally! I can't believe this went that long. Thank you Dangerous for saving me from getting this. I was shaking like a dog pooping a peach seed.

:rofl:

Dangerous_Toys
12-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Got the package. Thanks Jason! :beerchug: