PDA

View Full Version : About to give up

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Was posting this in the "what works for me" thread, but figured I better just start from scratch. If you were following my posts there, some of this will make a lot more sense.......

Well, The mold for the hatch still needs all the prep work done and I wanted to run the boat TODAY. So, I mixed up a quick batch of polyester resin and began repairing. First I CA'd all I could back together, then layed up the inside with 3/4oz mat got and couple runs in, however, not w/ out some issues. First run was flawless. Boat ran exceptionally well. There were times ther was no breeze or ripples and she is running as tru and flat as can be. I brought it in and "almost" had mishap #1 (my fault). I picked the boat out of the water and carried it to the house. Set it on the bench and the prop fell off. :eek: I used stub shaft from another boat so I could get it back in the water after the cable situation. After a 445 hub, there is barely enough room for a stock, non locking nut to go on. I shouda used loc-tite, but I didnt. Fortunately it came home this time and now its "loc'd" on. So second run, boat goes 50 feet and stops and winds out like a slipped, shaft, broken shaft or could I have just thrown the prop anyway? I fished her in and found that the stub shaft seized in the strut. Greased shaft had 1, 3.5 min run on it. :cursing: So, to the house I go. I was able to finesse the shaft out and saw it was looking very burnt where it rides the bushings. I worked on it a bit, sanded the shaft w/ 1000 grit, lubed and oiled it, put it all back together and it seemed it spun more free than it did new. So, I buttoned her up and off I went. Hit the throttle and the shaft spins in the coupler. I put it as tight as usual, but I guess since it slipped, thats no longer acceptable. So, tighter it went. I ran it for a couple minutes but you could hear and tell it was slipping now and again and finally slipped a bunch. So to the bench again.. heres where it gets interesting. Set scew in the coupler might as well had been installed at Firestone w/ a 150 ft/lb air wrench. I broke a craftsman wrench trying to undo it, then shortly there after stripped the set screw... SERIOUSLY???? :cursing: So I began to drill it out..... Bits kinda dull, Ive got a new one in the garage, bit cathes hard while drilling, coulper (which is still installed in boat on motor that I am hold ing in my left hand) rolls towards my finger and I put a brand new 1/8 drill bit in one side of my finger at the first bend, finger print side, and out the other, just in front of my nail. Thats about a 1" travel thru meat. Then the bit stuck out about 3/16 out of my finger. I didnt realize it went thru until I tried to pull my finger back and look at it and the drill, still in my right hand, came with it. Theres blood all over my boat, my bench, my carpet now in my hobby room and down the hall, across the living room and into the kitchen. ER visit cost more than the damn boat did, my trigger finger is now wrapped, splinted, and hurts like hell and worst of all, my boat is STILL broken. Im beginning to hate my MG. Not really.. just the experiences its causing. PB hit the nail on the head w/ the design of the hull and most of the hardware... but thats about it. Quality of mine put together was far from what my BJ26 was. I re-epoxied most of the things in the hull. A battery tray was almost out before I even put the first battery in it. The lid as we all know is horrible, the flex is junk, and seriously, who puts a coupler on a motor so it wont come off? And will break a wrench trying... Shes great when she runs, but Im thinking I shouda just bought another Genesis.. same amount of work.

EDIT: and, its a pita typing w/ out your left index finger.....

GP73
11-22-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm so sorry to hear... :eek: :sad:

Get well soon! :sorry:

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks man. Ish happens! Just hurts sometimes.

ron1950
11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
scott .....darn man u pulled a ron there dude.....sorry to hear it.....been there and done that but usually with a scribe or a xeacto knife....i even cut my thumb on a sharpened prop the other day putting the boat in the truck lol....my advise is dont get old ...it happens more as u get old and feble like me ......walk it off!!!!!...

Boomer
11-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Dude! What can I say? Bad day for sure! Here is a tip for you, on any Proboat couplings, you need to heat up the coupling with the tip of your soldering iron before trying to remove the set screws. They use some form of loctite on the set screws that is more like welding things together. They also use lower quality steel in their set screws, instead of SS, so they will rust!

When I got my first Proboat, I had to cut into the coupling the get the darn thing off. I called Proboat to ask them "what the :cursing: are they thinking. They suggested heating the couplings first , which should be published some where in there literature. It works for me, so now I just heat them up before trying to remove the set screws.

Kintec Racing and I would image, OSE sell higher quality bushings for Miss Gs.
Go to Kintec Racing under Miss Geico upgrades and look for "Removable Replacement Bushing -you might want to change it out for one that can be greased."

Sorry I bring you this information a bit late. :doh:

Hope your finger heals quickly and the pain goes away soon.
Boomer

blackcat26
11-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Damn Tique sounds like you have my luck bro. You need to heal up and make some MG hatches. Even mine cracked in the corners when I blew it over this weekend.

dana
11-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm all set with PB rubbish...

Boomer
11-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I spoke with Rich today regarding the status of his replace hatch. He almost ready to go, but is working on a few custom features he will be offering to enhance the appearance of our boats.

He feels he is going be able to match the color but advised that not all Geicos are the same color. He has two at his shop and there is a slight difference in the two boats color. Albeit slight, it is logical that boat color will vary from batch to batch.

From what he is telling me, his replacement hatches will be very cool. He will let me know more after Thanksgiving.

Boomer

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Dude! What can I say? Bad day for sure! Here is a tip for you, on any Proboat couplings, you need to heat up the coupling with the tip of your soldering iron before trying to remove the set screws. They use some form of loctite on the set screws that is more like welding things together. They also use lower quality steel in their set screws, instead of SS, so they will rust!

When I got my first Proboat, I had to cut into the coupling the get the darn thing off. I called Proboat to ask them "what the :cursing: are they thinking. They suggested heating the couplings first , which should be published some where in there literature. It works for me, so now I just heat them up before trying to remove the set screws.

Kintec Racing and I would image, OSE sell higher quality bushings for Miss Gs.
Go to Kintec Racing under Miss Geico upgrades and look for "Removable Replacement Bushing -you might want to change it out for one that can be greased."

Sorry I bring you this information a bit late. :doh:

Hope your finger heals quickly and the pain goes away soon.
Boomer

Thanks Boom. I was actually at the LHS last week and picked up a few packages of Aeromarine teflon bushings. I always like to have a few on hand. I used a set in the PB strut. My OSE order arrived today so I was able to make a new shaft so I could put the currently used stub back in the boat I stole it from after my PB stocker was about in two after 5 runs. I ended up using a cut off wheel on the dremel tonight and went at the set screw to get the coulper off. While at it I also removed the motor mount and used a round file to extend the motor bolt holes upwards so the motor would actually line up w/ the shaft. It was about 1/32 too low. Had I known, I would have ordered a couple 5mm to .150 couplers just to have on stock and replace some of my "china" ones, but I didnt even think about it. Guess I will have to rob a boat again until I can get some.

Damn Tique sounds like you have my luck bro. You need to heal up and make some MG hatches. Even mine cracked in the corners when I blew it over this weekend.

They will be ready next week. :thumbup1:

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
I spoke with Rich today regarding the status of his replace hatch. He almost ready to go, but is working on a few custom features he will be offering to enhance the appearance of our boats.

He feels he is going be able to match the color but advised that not all Geicos are the same color. He has two at his shop and there is a slight difference in the two boats color. Albeit slight, it is logical that boat color will vary from batch to batch.

From what he is telling me, his replacement hatches will be very cool. He will let me know more after Thanksgiving.

Boomer

Boomer Boomer Boomer.. how you gunna plug someones elses hatches on my thread when im making them? :bounce: Your price just went up :sarcasm1:

johnf
11-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Scott, I thought you had posted you weren't gonna make them due to issues with the color match. Sucks about all the badluck!

Btw, I noticed in black cats thread you posted about working on one of your twins. You been fooling with one of the hprs?

Boomer
11-22-2010, 08:39 PM
tiqueman
I am sorry! I didn't realize you guys were competing with each other. :confused1: I have no stake in this other than reporting any updates that come to me. Not promoting just reporting the news. :confused2:

Boomer

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Scott, I thought you had posted you weren't gonna make them due to issues with the color match. Sucks about all the badluck!

Btw, I noticed in black cats thread you posted about working on one of your twins. You been fooling with one of the hprs?

Nah Im still making them, just not as quickly as I originally planned b/c of color issues. Plus it sounded as if Richs were going to be out like a week ago. So I stalled to see what he was doing so we dont offer the same thing. I put the whole thing on the back burner until I broke mine. Now its moving its way forward.

HPR.. and got my HOTR back in the water yesterday... dam that boat is cool! :cool2:

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 08:47 PM
LOL no sweat at all Boom, just pokn your ribs man! Im anxtious to see his. Ive made some subtle changes to mine and just wanna see what he came up with. I talked to him last week. Hes makin some different scoop options which is way cool. I removed the side scoops off mine for one of the molds so hopefully his "cooler" looking scoops could be installed. Im not looking at this one really as competition, but different options from different enthusiasts. I heard he makes a good product. I cant wait to see them.

johnf
11-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Nah Im still making them, just not as quickly as I originally planned b/c of color issues. Plus it sounded as if Richs were going to be out like a week ago. So I stalled to see what he was doing so we dont offer the same thing. I put the whole thing on the back burner until I broke mine. Now its moving its way forward.

HPR.. and got my HOTR back in the water yesterday... dam that boat is cool! :cool2:

Sweet! Which hpr? You need to add more pics of them to your albums! Did I tell ya my 115 and hw made it in? I'm pumped.

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:06 PM
115 man!!!!! Only thing I do not have is the Hydraulic fakes. I plan on ordering them in the next couple weeks. Everything is hanging loose of the transom now its not all ligned up and tru, but you get the idea....

johnf
11-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Awesome! They are good looking boats! Did you have the hw annodized? Also, how did you break that drive down?

blackcat26
11-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Holy sheet! That thing is bad azz bro! I'm jealous.

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Awesome! They are good looking boats! Did you have the hw annodized? Also, how did you break that drive down?

They came that way. The boat, if I have the story correct, was purchased by someone on the other side of the pond. Im not sure if he anodized it like that or if HPR did it for him. Then a friend of mine bought it. He sat on it for a while and never touched it, so I bought it from him and started puting it together... although... Ive had it about a year now. :hide:

Drive, hit it w/ a hammer. No, unscrew the piece at the beggining of the stinger where it goes into the angle adjustment block. It will all come apart.

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Holy sheet! That thing is bad azz bro! I'm jealous.

Im not screwin around anymore :buttrock:

blackcat26
11-22-2010, 09:17 PM
No doubt. Looks like you are getting serious too!

johnf
11-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Awesome man. I wasn't aware the transom end of the stinger was 2 pieces. I hope you are gonna get some good pics of build progress. I've seen a few different techniques for mounting that hardware. Would love to see how you are getting the job done.

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah this ones gunna be super cool. Thats really why Im not spazzin to do a Geico twin. Not saying its not going to happen, just not now.

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Awesome man. I wasn't aware the transom end of the stinger was 2 pieces. I hope you are gonna get some good pics of build progress. I've seen a few different techniques for mounting that hardware. Would love to see how you are getting the job done.

Im not going to post it up until its done. I have been taking pics along the way though. Kinda just doin this one on my own, keeping it on the DL and not getting anyones hopes up incase I have to put it on pause again. I dont think I will though.. I have everything to finish it but the rams. And they can go on later. Castles sale made it happen for me. :laugh:

johnf
11-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Are you going 1518? I have a pair sitting in my closet I was thinking about using. Yay castle. Haha

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Are you going 1518? I have a pair sitting in my closet I was thinking about using. Yay castle. Haha

1520s, 1600KV on 6S

johnf
11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Gotcha. I was thinking 1518 on 5s. I've seen people running neu 1521 1.5d in this hull and the 44 inch MHz mystic. Was thinking maybe the 1518 would substitute ok.

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:44 PM
I dont hink you will have any problems at all with it. I originally stalled my build b/c I was going to go el chepo and put Feigao 10Xls on it on 6S like I did in my HOTR. When it came to it, I couldnt do it.. it cried for better power plants.

domwilson
11-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Dude I just read the first post...Sorry that happened. Hope it heals well. The boat looks nice. Me likey....But seriously, get well and take care of that finger.

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks Dom, I will. I worked on the MG this evening and bumped it a few time. Lit me up! Its my trigger finger, hopefully it wont be so sensitive Sunday. I got racin to do!

johnf
11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Just realized how ot we were getting, whoops. This is why the hpr needs its own thread! Lol

Heck, look how old my fe30 thread is with no activity. That will change soon though, just about got everything I need for it.

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
I know right! Oh well, I dont mind tangents in my threads.

Diesel6401
11-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Sorry about your finger bud. Those set screw suck, that's why the motor I sold your still had the set screw in it. That thing was JB welded lol. Wish I would have known about the heating up thing prior. O well. Heel up fast bud, I haven't cracked my hatch (yet) but today might be the day so im gonna need one :tongue_smilie:

tiqueman
11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
I took the motor I got from Deisel and used my heat gun on the coupler. After a few seconds of "high heat" the set screw backed right out. Thanks Boomer! :beerchug:

Diesel6401
11-23-2010, 09:57 AM
I took the motor I got from Deisel and used my heat gun on the coupler. After a few seconds of "high heat" the set screw backed right out. Thanks Boomer! :beerchug:

Now you guys tell me the secerts :doh:

Boomer
11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Diesel,
This is amazing! I found something you didn't know. Wow. You are the "shell" answer man in my book! Better late than never, right?
Boomer

Diesel6401
11-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Diesel,
This is amazing! I found something you didn't know. Wow. You are the "shell" answer man in my book! Better late than never, right?
Boomer

It isn't a good day unless you learin something new!!! Good information buddy... Better late then never, but never late is better.....lol :just-kidding: that's from a song...

If I'm the answer man in your book your gonna need a bigger book, cuz i ain't the sharpest prop in the box :rofl:

FighterCat57
11-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Wow, completely missed this. Sorry to hear T, I know exactly how that finger feels... Takes a bit to heal.

Hope you heel up well and fast.

Sorry about the timing of my PM yesterday. :o

tiqueman
11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Wow, completely missed this. Sorry to hear T, I know exactly how that finger feels... Takes a bit to heal.

Hope you heel up well and fast.

Sorry about the timing of my PM yesterday. :o

No worries Ben. Yeah, itll take a little bit but Im still tinkering. Falling behind on my glass work though...

ron1950
11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
hey boomer what secrets ya got for a stripped set screw in my boat? lol.....was going to send it to scott but now thats out

tiqueman
11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Dremel tool, and use a vice, and order an Octura coupler form OSE.

ron1950
11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
i loked at the ose couplers page ...which one do i need anyway?

tiqueman
11-23-2010, 01:31 PM
5mm to .150. Long or short would work. Short may be better in the Geico. I ordered one of each yesterday. whichever one I dont use in the Geico is going in another boat to replace a china cheapo one.

Boomer
11-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Ok, is it stripped and stuck on the shaft? I am assuming it is, because that is when crap happens. Is it on the flex shaft side or the motor side.
If it is the motor side, pull the motor out of the boat. If it on the flex shaft side, more care has to be taken.

If you want to save the coupling drill it out, with great care. It might be a good idea to have someone who knows the difference between a finger and a coulping do the drilling :just-kidding:

Most of us have had to do this at least once in our lives. The trick is to use the right size drill and to holding it very straight. Those holes are generally 3MM so with the next size being 4MM, so drill size is important.

Once you drill it out, unless you have taps, I'd junk it! They are not all that expensive. If you have all the tools, you can re-thread it to 4 or 5MM and get a new set screw of that size and you are back in business.

The one I had the most trouble with was on my then new Motor Life Boat, I was trying to remove the prop shafts to lubricate them, but the blessed set screw was struck in the coulping to the point that I had to use my Dremel with a diamond cutting disk, to cut a slice into the coupling, down to the motor shaft. I was not aware of the heating the coupling trick yet.

Proboat sent me a replacement out of the kindness of their hearts.
But the best thing was leaning how to get the darned loctite to release with heat.

I use my soldering gun tip to heat the couplings and so far it has worked every time.:thumbup1:

Boomer

johnf
11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
If you want to save the coupling drill it out, with great care. It might be a good idea to have someone who knows the difference between a finger and a coulping do the drilling :just-kidding:

LOL! :rofl:

ron1950
11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
thanks man....i do know the difference between a finger and a drill bit but thats not saying much for my drilling skills lol....havent gone through a finger yet but sure have stuck a few lol.....

tiqueman
11-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Damn thats harsh...

Ron, cut it w/ a cutting wheel on a dremel as Boomer also suggests. They are not worth the time to drill out. Just get an Octura from OSE. Just keep cutting into it looking for the bottom of the screw and trying not to knick into the shaft. Use a vice. I only recommend drilling through a finger if you have nothing to do the next day. Also, be sure there is oil and metal shavings on the bit before doing so. It makes it feel much nicer, goes in cleaner w/ out friction and the metal can make your finger magnetic. No more struggling w/ hard to reach bolts :w00t:

ron1950
11-23-2010, 08:34 PM
but if my finger is magnetic ill have to get a full body pat down at the airport when i want to fly.....dam...ill do it...most action id get in months....maybe ill request a full body scan also....man this is livin

Diesel6401
11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
I never went through my own finger, but I did go pretty deep threw a friends hand does that count for anything...

ron1950
11-23-2010, 08:47 PM
u win !!!!! lol