PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a big gasser

roadrashracing
11-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I've been looking at this 50 inch gas boat for sale, it is all apart and needs to be put back together, the motor runs but is missing small stuff like linkages and that, I was hoping on getting it and at putting it back together and using it or possible turning a profit on it. If I do keep I will need to get rid of my electric boat, not much of a budget. I had a gas buggy in the past and like it, I just think it will be harder to find places to run it comparied to my electric, I mostly just like to tinker on stuff. he wants $225 shipped for it

http://i.ebayimg.com/07/!B8kNOHwBWk~$(KGrHqIOKioEzUlUcmh8BM3Z3WcfdQ~~_12.J PG

drwayne
11-20-2010, 03:03 PM
EEK !

Beware the DARK SIDE , Luke ........

monojeff
11-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Not a bad price for the setup.
I am in process of building a 48" scratch built mono.
I have put about the same amount of money in mine.
I finally have everything I need to finish putting it together.

You def can't run them as many places as you can with the electrics.

Looks like it is a homelite motor and as long as it runs well should be around 30-40mph depending on mods.

That rudder assembly I know is heavy and bulky and will weight it down a lot as well.

I don't know that you would get much of a return on investment on this either if thats what your looking for.

roadrashracing
11-21-2010, 07:30 PM
well yes or know that is the question :confused1:

monojeff
11-21-2010, 07:41 PM
well yes or know that is the question :confused1:

If you want it as something to build for fun it doesn't seam like a bad deal.
Might be able to turn a profit it you finish it up and make it look really nice and RTR possibly around $300-350.

I'd def ditch those rudders though!!

Here is a comparable hull, not sure the condition the one you posted is in.
http://www.insaneboats.com/index.php?option=com_oscommerce&osMod=product_info&Itemid=82&cPath=1&products_id=182&osCsid=0e2f6820edb2791f5b2b794a2a507cb

Your choice go for it or not??

roadrashracing
11-21-2010, 07:50 PM
I was wrong on the price is was closer to $245, it needs already gear, linkages and other misc gear to get it rtr, I was hoping just to get the motor in fire it up and sell it for around $250, its been on ebay for over a week and I am the only one to bid at $150, he had a buy it now for $175. For me to run it personally I would problley have way to much money with that, for the same price I could have a nice electric boat.

heres the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330495855694&category=2564&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

I guess if it was a good deal it would have sold right away.

monojeff
11-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Well I don't think it is the hull it is listed as either.
The stringers don't look like they are tall enough for the homelite motor unless possibly they have custom mounts to fit which I doubt.

I personally wouldn't pay that much for it.
If the motor runs right your looking at most $50 if it is modded.
The hull is probably worth at most $100.
The hardware is worth maybe $40 all together.
Looks like it had a tuned pipe not sure if it would even fit can't tell if he has proper manifold for it.

So right there is about $200 worth of stuff if you could get that much for them individually. Not worth it with the shipping and you'd hope the hull doesn't get damaged when shipped.

Hope this helps.

monojeff
11-21-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm no expert by no means but I wouldn't buy it unless it was for around $150 shipped.

roadrashracing
11-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Ya I'll think I'll just invest the money into my blackjack, the hull did need work too. I've seen brand new gas boats for around $400

roadrashracing
11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm no expert by no means but I wouldn't buy it unless it was for around $150 shipped.

Hey thanks for the advice, a few months ago I would have bought it right away thinking it was a good deal, ive learned to wait and learn as much as I can.

monojeff
11-21-2010, 08:26 PM
A name brand gas hull hold value.
There are some good deals out there but I don't think this is one of them.
Most people are looking for something in good or great condition.
If it needs work then people don't expect a high price tag of course.

I'm all new to the electric game so I understand.

Prices here are all new to me.

I'm most likely going to build a 1/10 classic thunderboat.
Still trying to get a grasp on batteries, chargers, and esc.

Chargers alone are expensive!

Then nice batteries $60 each when I need 2 of them at least.
I have been wondering about those turnigy's if they are at least decent and worth while at all.

I know i would like some hyperions to race with but to have some spares or backups.

ScarabChris
11-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Ten years ago when I got into big RC boats I thought gasoline power was the cats meow, and up until I found out about brushless combined with Lipo power it was. Now I have what many would consider (including myself) a bad ass gas powered RC boat. But the reality is I will probably never use it again. It has become a static model.

Maybe when my 15 month old son is 15 years old he can pull it down and play with it.

Moral of the story? Why mess with stinky loud obnoxious gas boats when you have such clean, smooth, quiet and fast BL electrics?

monojeff
11-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Ten years ago when I got into big RC boats I thought gasoline power was the cats meow, and up until I found out about brushless combined with Lipo power it was. Now I have what many would consider (including myself) a bad ass gas powered RC boat. But the reality is I will probably never use it again. It has become a static model.

Maybe when my 15 month old son is 15 years old he can pull it down and play with it.

Moral of the story? Why mess with stinky loud obnoxious gas boats when you have such clean, smooth, quiet and fast BL electrics?

Something different.
They are two different beasts entirely.
I don't think you can compare them.

Both are fun and awesome in their own rights.

roadrashracing
11-21-2010, 10:14 PM
I don't even think it would fit in my car, I got a merc sable and nothing fits in that car good:doh:

ScarabChris
11-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Something different.
They are two different beasts entirely.
I don't think you can compare them.

Both are fun and awesome in their own rights.

That is true, and if I lived on or near a lake with nobody else around I would probably use the gasser every so often.

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 09:01 AM
I still love my gassers.. even though they dont get run much. Yeah they are messy, but a tuned Zenny on the right pipe.. you just cant get that sound anywhere else. And twins.... :thumbup1:

Spot Me 2
11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Why mess with stinky loud obnoxious gas boats when you have such clean, smooth, quiet and fast BL electrics?

30 minute plus run times???:beerchug:

Jacked1
11-22-2010, 05:10 PM

That is why I love my gassers!! No waiting for batteries to charge. I probably ran a gallon and a half of gas through my old fun cruiser every weekend that the lake didn't have ice on it for 6 years and only had to replace the teflon shaft liner and some prop shaft bearings every once in a while. Then the motor got so worn down it almost had no compression left. It is now motor-less :crying:

tiqueman
11-22-2010, 08:09 PM

Along w/ no fires or smoke damaged hulls :thumbup1:

Brushless55
11-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Along w/ no fires or smoke damaged hulls :thumbup1:

Very true! :roflol:
I love my RioZ

RCKong
11-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Man you guys make me want to dust off the Zen Mod Ducer, and burn up the water...(and wake everyone up too !!! ) It's been a while.

monojeff
11-23-2010, 12:13 AM
How much run time do you get from a pack of 5000mah batteries??
Average??

tiqueman
11-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Too open a question. All depends on what your running, how many amps your drawing etc etc. Could be 1 minute, could be 5, could be more.

monojeff
11-23-2010, 12:31 AM
SV27 motor on a 1/10 scale classic thunderboat.
I plan to build one and will probably use a turnigy 180 esc.

So obviously you have to bring multiple batteries.
With as expensive as they are I need to find a decently priced battery.
I would like to run hyperions but can't afford a bunch of them....

tiqueman
11-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Not familiar w/ that boat, but Id think using an SV motor on 4S, youd see 4 to 5 minutes. Not sure what you can fit battery wise in that hull, if you can go 2P, your run time will go up.. but you have to start watching temps. Id think as long as its a mellow set up, prop etc., youll be fine. Turnigy batteries.. Hobbycity.com. I have a ridiculous amount of them. Great great batteries. I heard some compare to Hyperion and other much more expensive and say they cant tell the difference.

monojeff
11-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Which turnigies do you recommend?

I have been told to run 2-2s in series to make 4s recommended size is 5000mah 25c.

tiqueman
11-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Go as high as C rate as you can afford. 20C is the lowest youd want to consider, I personally wouldnt go lower than 30. 5000mah would be great. Check the sizes to be sure they will fit your application.

So 2-2S 5000mah's, and Id say above 30C and your good to go. Should be in the 25-30 dollar range each. Ive read some good reviews on the Nanos. But havent seen one run in person or talk w/ someone face to face to really comment.

monojeff
11-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Well like I said the hyperions were recommended to me and was told no reason to go over 25c on these for my application by a very reputable source.

Which turnigy batteries do you hav experience with the regular blue ones.

tiqueman
11-23-2010, 01:03 AM
For your application, Id agree, 25.. even 20 would be fine. But its nice to get batteries you wont out grow. 2 months from now you may want a hotter set up and w/ 25C batts, they may begin to struggle, which will lead to shortened battery life, puffing etc. And for the couple dollars difference, why not.

I run the Turnigys (blue) and have a few of the Zippy Flightmax as well. Both are extremely pleasing. I have 11 sets total. Ive only had to replace 2 in the past 18 months, and both were my fault pushing lower C ratings too hard. Both were 2S batteries, both were 20C. At under 20 a piece for those.. who cares! Beats destroying a 150+ battery. You can get 6 for the price of one. By the time you go thru 6, that "1" might be dead anyway. I lost a Reedy 2S 5000mah on the 3rd run. $80.00 battery. 3 runs and was 2 months old. Hobby shop had me go thru Reedy, Reedy basically told me, it happens, we cant warranty it past 30 days. I have never bought anything but Turnigy and Flightmax since... Almost everyone at the local club runs them in thier race boats... There are a bunch of them out there.

monojeff
11-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Well the 1/10 classic class only allows certain setups ups.

Thanks for the info.
I might get some of those to test with and probably race with the hyperions.

monojeff
11-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Ok so here is what I am wondering if you say the turnigy are as good as more expensive batteries, the amp rating are way different.

Hyperion G3-CX5000-2S cont. 125.0A max. 225.0A
turnigy Discharge: 25C Constant / 50C Burst

Are these the same numbers to compare or different??
Nevermind I answered my own question, obviously not same numbers since one is amps and one is C rating.