PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a few boats, RCMK Mogli & No Step 1

Chuck E Cheese
11-19-2010, 09:24 PM
i am on a kick where i am rebuilding some of my old boats. these are 2 of the first boats i ever built and i feel i am a much better builder (and they were beat up bad) so it is time to remodel them.

First is a RCMK Mogli. i dont know why this boat isnt more popular, i know it isnt namba legal but it is a great boat. when i originally got it i let my buddy drive it once and he ordered one. the original build was with a ammo 2300 and ul-1 speedy. the rebuild is using a ul-1 motor and turnigy 120. when i dug it out of the grave yard i remembered why it was parked. the trandsom was torn wide open from the rudder hitting something. it was sitting for a long time and i was suprised to find it, i thought i threw it out. i did all the repairs in carbon fiber, lined the floor, painted and cleaned up the hardware a little. cane out good for the previous condition. OH YA..... it is self righting. i drove one last week and fell back in love with it. i know it is ugly as they get but it is a great driving boat and pretty fast with simple components

Chuck E Cheese
11-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Second is a H&M No Step 1. this is the 23" hull. i built this boat a long time ago when i was still a rookie and it ran pretty good. it sat for about a year and then got passed from OSE member to OSE member. my friends are all getting delta 23" snipers and i felt this was a far better boat. i tracked it down by posting an ad in the swap shop and got her back. it wasnt in such good shape cosmetically so i gave her a make over. i am no where near done yet but here is what i did so far.

i have all the parts and am going to put a 1509 1.5d 4500kv on 2s (2s2p 8000mah) i had a 1512 4900kv before and it was to much motor. i have either a cc120, turnigy 180 or hi-model 200 esc to use. i will put one of the larger ones and get some eagle tree data to see if i can go down to the castle. i used a turnigy 120 with the 1512 and it was ok because i use a small prop so it isnt pulling big amps.

so far i fixed the hatch rail, striped all the epoxy from the inside and lined it with CF. i am not a painter but i figured i would play around with this one again (as i did the first time i built it). it still needs color sand and clear. i am just waitng on the motor to show up and i can start assembly

Chuck E Cheese
11-19-2010, 09:37 PM
more

Chuck E Cheese
11-28-2010, 12:00 AM
more on the no step. shot some clear on the paint. i got all the parts just need to plan cog and set-up the interior. it will have a 1509 1.5D 4500kv, 2 x 4000 2s in parallel for 8000mah. i polished the hardware and straightened the rudder mounting.

HYDROJERRY
11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I am lovin that paint job!!! very cool....love the cats tooo...

Chuck E Cheese
11-28-2010, 12:20 PM
i went into wall mart and got one of every hawiian suvineer sticker they had and used them for the mask. i was going to do flames but i walked out of the sign shop because the ones the guy cut for me were lame. i didnt want to wait to paint so hmmmmmmmm lets see what they have at wall mart, they didnt have any flames in the auto dept so that is what i came up with.

as for the cat, that is my boy tigger. he is a 9 year old bengal. by far the most unique cat with mote atttitude and personality than any other i have ever had.

Chuck E Cheese
12-08-2010, 06:27 PM
no step finally done. i almost forgot to leave room for the batteries. has a total of 2s 8000mah. i think i should be able to run with the df 23"'s in the pond.

Rumdog
12-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Man, she's looking good bro! I didn't do much to her when I had it. I re-epoxied the motor mount and stuffing tube. Pulled the wood tray up front. I think that's about it. Maybe a new cable/coupler, cant recall.

Chuck E Cheese
12-13-2010, 12:56 AM
ran the no step today for the first time. handled like a dream. i got the strut and tabs set-up perfect. the cog is a little further back than previously (28%) and it worked well. i was however a little disapointed with the speed. it used to be alot faster. i was using a 35mm prop as i did before and it seemed slow. i didnt eagle tree it but my guess would be in the high 30's. it seemed about as fast as a stock miss geico. i only have a reduced 130 to 1/8th shaft and didnt have my prop box with me. i will try it again on a 438 and 1440's and go from there. the temps were all cold, barley warm to touch so i know i have plenty of room to work with. i also forgot parallel adaptors so i was running 2s1p 4000 mah. i ran 2 packs for the weight but only one pluged in. other than the speed i was real happy, dry, cool and nice to drive.

BakedMopar
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Looking sweet Chuck.

Chuck E Cheese
01-03-2011, 02:01 AM
ran the no step again today.... changed to a 3/16 shaft and x438. i didnt eagle tree it but it ran mid to upper 40's easy. it was flying and glued to the water. wide open from start to finish. i ran it 2 times: 2min = cold, 4 1/2 min = cold motor and cookin esc. one of the solderings on a motor lead failed. the esc is still good but the solder melted. i will solder it back on and i think it will be fine. i guess 4 1/2 minutes was to long, just having to much fun. next time i will listen to the timer. after a total of 6 1/2 minutes it used about 7000mah (20% remaining on 2 x 4000 2s).

this thing rips, i dont care what kale and ira do to there df 23" anymore i have it handled. wide open in the chop no prob.... i can almost guarantee this is the best this boat has ever run. moving the cog back a little made all the difference in the world..

Tunda
01-03-2011, 04:37 AM
Glad to see you got that thing going chuck...... i think i got some more things to do with my DF 23.................

hookedup
01-05-2011, 03:03 AM
hmm...i got something for the 3 of you's!:spy: