PDA

View Full Version : Apache gutted - now what?

kmachala
11-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Does anyone have any interior pics of a gutted Apache ? Looking for some direction as to the best way you found to mount the batteries, servo and esc. It's pretty flimsy down there so I'm thinking of fabricating a floor out of ply and epoxying it in to stiffen up the hull. We're converting to SV27 brushless power with two LiPo's, a new flexdrive and strut/rudder combo. This sure is more of a challenge than gutting my Blackjack. Any help would be appreciated.

Jesse J
11-19-2010, 07:27 PM
I can only offer what I would do. After reading many reports of Apache handling, I would start with a different hull. I built a balsa cat the same size and am quite happy with how it goes. The Apache problems will only increase as you crank up the speed. I would hate to spend all the effort on a refab and then not be happy with handling. i don't think it was designed with SV power in mind. Just my thoughts.

I can direct you to the plans (http://jessej73.home.bresnan.net/jessej73.html)and you can go from there.

kmachala
11-20-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't doubt for a minute that this thing will be a handful. This is a father and son winter project, I guess you could call it a "bonding thing". Picked up the hull for a song and have spare parts up the wazoo and thought it would be fun to show the young un the satisfaction of building something outrageous himself rather than buying it or being a "bubble wrap" mechanic. Hoping that this wll be the first step in a lifelong hobby for him - if not, I'm not out big bucks but still get to share the experience with him.

Jesse J
11-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Ah, well then that changes everything. enjoy. sorry I can't offer any pics; I just start out by putting the motor pretty close to COG then use batteries to fine tune, but all builds are different. Just allow yourself enough flexibility for battery placement.

roadrashracing
11-20-2010, 04:06 PM
maybe epoxy some carbon fimer sheets and give you a clean look, oe make some stringers and expoxy them in, you have a frame work and a place to mount stuff.

roadrashracing
11-20-2010, 04:09 PM
found this page might help out or contact the creator
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=16888