PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Hobbies past....

JMSCARD
11-17-2010, 12:29 AM
First off this isn't boat related just wanted you gents to see one of my new addictions all over again....

Well I picked up the monday paper a couple weeks back and there on the front page was a article about our old Banked Carpet Oval track that has reopened.... showed people racing having fun, and worst of all smiling...lol..... I said last time i was done for good.... but you know how that goes, old habits die hard, so in the last two weeks I have aquired three top end pan cars... a wicked monoball r5, a Silva R5 (Cory Fasnacht just tq'd and won the pro pan A main 3 weeks back with the Silva) , and a hyperdrive pro 4, I got all the latest and greatest stuff again... tekin rs pros, tp 65c 1s lipos, (2) 3pks (dont ask me why I bought two)... here is the start of it... got one put back together and the electrics in place... starting on the second car tommorrow night... I still cant believe the misses hasn't left me yet...lol...

this 1st pic is of the wicked motorsports monoball R5 conversion, tekin rs pro, balistic 17.5, ......

2nd pic is Cory Fasnachts old silva ss, now mine :)... its the latest silva out... nice....

wparsons
11-17-2010, 09:05 AM
1s lipo? Is that instead of 4 nixx cells for 1/12th scale?

rearwheelin
11-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Crazy brother ! She is loosing patience and someday when you come home she is going to give u the altimadum....lol.....or start smashing, you better get a good storage unit ! :Peace_Sign:

JMSCARD
11-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Crazy brother ! She is loosing patience and someday when you come home she is going to give u the altimadum....lol.....or start smashing, you better get a good storage unit ! :Peace_Sign:

Thank god for the Golden Rule!!!

well it worked for a few years.... she got a big promotion though this last spring, so she doesn't need me as much anymore...:rofl:

JMSCARD
11-20-2010, 11:33 PM
1s lipo? Is that instead of 4 nixx cells for 1/12th scale?

1s lipo is right... this is 1/10 scale though... we were running 4cell though too.... the new tech is 1s lipos 65C!! , and 13.5 and 17.5 brushless motors... at least in our area.... the bigger tracks run 10.5's and lower turns even....... we are on a 100ft runline banked bullring....

Note how neat and well placed the electrics in the second car are.... practiced this car on friday night.... it absolutely rips and is a joy to drive.... can't wait to run with the field this tommorrow morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ub Hauled
11-21-2010, 12:50 AM
oh man, that's sick 10th scale.... I had a 12th that was in "storage" for the longest time and it's just crap now... I wanted to get a newer, bigger, better chassis, this one looks like a winner... did you pond our wife to acquire it? lol, just kidding
But for some reason these few parts that come in a pan car a fricking expensive! What body are you laying on them?

JMSCARD
11-21-2010, 01:39 AM
oh man, that's sick 10th scale.... I had a 12th that was in "storage" for the longest time and it's just crap now... I wanted to get a newer, bigger, better chassis, this one looks like a winner... did you pond our wife to acquire it? lol, just kidding
But for some reason these few parts that come in a pan car a fricking expensive! What body are you laying on them?

I am running the DHD (Dodge High Downforce) its the best out right now... by Protoform.... I actually am painting a couple more tonight... hence why I am up so late...lol...

But I do have a guy out of Ohio who is making me a few real fancy bodies... he paints alot of the bodies for the "magazines" and for pros.... hey you gotta look good!!! Hes painting me three bodys, they are gonna be sick.... can't wait to get them... he won't be done them til the 17th of December, hes got a waiting list...so until then I am stuck with my own painting abilities which actually aren't that bad.... I got this body from Cory Fasnacht the guy I got the car from... He is a sponsered driver for RIP motorsports but likes to run Silvas too.... this is nothing of a fancy job but the body fits nice and will work for tommorrow..!!

oh and yeh.... they get spendy.... $220 Esc's, $69 digital servos, $80 motors, $70 1s 65c lipos, $100 transponders, $30 rxr packs, $400 chassis, $150 fully balanced rear end, $200 other high end tid bits (like better smoother shocks, windtunnel springs, longer kingpins, nitrade coated ball joints, etc., etc., cermamic bearings, $50 of rubber a raceday.... yeh can get out of control in a hurry..... good thing I don't have kids...lol..

Ub Hauled
11-21-2010, 01:51 AM
oh damn...

wparsons
11-21-2010, 08:18 AM
oh and yeh.... they get spendy.... $220 Esc's, $69 digital servos, $80 motors, $70 1s 65c lipos, $100 transponders, $30 rxr packs, $400 chassis, $150 fully balanced rear end, $200 other high end tid bits (like better smoother shocks, windtunnel springs, longer kingpins, nitrade coated ball joints, etc., etc., cermamic bearings, $50 of rubber a raceday.... yeh can get out of control in a hurry..... good thing I don't have kids...lol..

Do the really expensive little bits actually make much of a difference with pan cars?

I used to love beating guys that spent their entire pay cheque on the newest fanciest parts for their stadium trucks. Mine was all stock parts, just a fine tuned setup. Guys would spend TONS on better ceramic bearings, titanium everything, carbon everything, etc and it didn't make any difference except to their bank account.

JMSCARD
12-08-2010, 11:51 PM
unfortunatley it does make a difference with these cars... we are in the days of esc wars big time... these new Tekin Rs speedos and such make minced meat of the old gtb's and such....

Anyway I ran my cars for the first time last weekend....

2nd place A-Main Pro Pan 13.5 class... I was happy with that as I was running with sponsored guys....

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=305311&highlight=barretown&page=18

two thirds the way down you can see the results... I am Jason Shedd :) I run the fastest highest level class of course... SPEED :)

Steven Vaccaro
12-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Moving this into the right area.

madgadget
12-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Maybe you can tell me what this 1/10 car is. A sucessful carpet racer from the days of round cells I might add.

Brushless55
12-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Do the really expensive little bits actually make much of a difference with pan cars?

I used to love beating guys that spent their entire pay cheque on the newest fanciest parts for their stadium trucks. Mine was all stock parts, just a fine tuned setup. Guys would spend TONS on better ceramic bearings, titanium everything, carbon everything, etc and it didn't make any difference except to their bank account.

I know a guy localy who spends less but goes faster
he pratices almost everyday and it shows :thumbup1:

Brushless55
12-13-2010, 01:33 AM
I dig these cars!

JMSCARD
12-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Maybe you can tell me what this 1/10 car is. A sucessful carpet racer from the days of round cells I might add.

looks kinda like a trc pro 10, but a better design then a pro 10...lol... also kinda looks like a trinity switchblade, yet the front end design looks more dated on your car...hmmm will need to research this one... obviously this car of yours was a "on road" car and not oval... made for roadcourses.... my cars only go counter clockwise... :)

JMSCARD
12-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I know a guy localy who spends less but goes faster
he pratices almost everyday and it shows :thumbup1:

I know plenty of guys at our track who do well on a tight budget, but lets face it there still is a "budget", the batts constantly change, and we know how batts can affect things..:) on top of that we are in the days of esc wars in our pan cars... the computer savy can pick up some speed too....

I will agree though, no matter how much fancy equipment you got you gots nothing if you cant point it where "she" needs to go...lol.... money can buy lots of things but it cant buy coordination or reflexes..... if you guys are in the cold states with frozen ponds I highly suggest looking into carpet oval racing... lots of fun..

geodehunter
12-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Jason, That is one sweet looking pan car. Congrats on the second place finish your first time out. Our local track was tore down and burn't. Just not enough people around here anymore. Merry Christmas, Robbie

PeterTRAXXAS
12-28-2010, 05:31 PM
The car in post 12 is a Corally, I believe. Note the "bag of goo" used to damp the side-to-side motion of the motor pod, the rubber-mounted front axle plate, and the plastic clips that hold the battery straps. Those are all Corally features.

wrongway
04-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Hi Guys,

About 2 weeks ago, for some reason I bid and won a Assoc Rc12 on ebay.
Got it for 20.00 but it needs tires, esc and battery. I am told the pan cars are extremly fast.
I cant wait to see it go!

Brushless55
04-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Hi Guys,

About 2 weeks ago, for some reason I bid and won a Assoc Rc12 on ebay.
Got it for 20.00 but it needs tires, esc and battery. I am told the pan cars are extremly fast.
I cant wait to see it go!

they are fast bro! :thumbup1:

siberianhusky
05-18-2011, 11:50 AM
There is a carpet track opening again near me, used to love running 1/12 pan cars. I know what I'll be buying for winter! Looking at a Carpet Knife or another Associated, I still have my old RC12i.