PDA

View Full Version : 6S hybrid rig

drwayne
11-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Hyall
This build was started mid May 2010
Been collating photos and comments along the way.
6 months from drawings to battery terminations.

1070mm 42" OAL
500mm 19.7" OAW
Spons 350mm 14" OAL

6S or 8S packs 1P fit well inside 4" internal tub ( 100mm int, 110 ext )

drwayne
11-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Asked what color would I paint it .. couldnt make up my mind, so I didnt ....

nothing is secured here yet.. all placed for cog setup

Bullet camera on strut upright is for OSD from esc logger(inbuilt)
Made a micro dvr , transflash card 4Gb, HD 1920x1080 for rear 'tacklebox' compartment
Very agricultural(basic) but does a fine job of watching the startled ducks .....

First runs returned 73mph (116Kmh). :sad: .. on 6S .. :laugh: . with a P250 :doh:!
Asked andym to prep some finger choppers for :bounce:

That's my own design esc nestled in there ..... links in signature show 2 different build esc in action .. the P rig has build V4 .... this latest tub esc is V9

andym
11-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Nice mate, hope you get some vid when you go testing this week.

andym
11-16-2010, 07:00 AM
That first pick makes it look like the tub is twisted, must be my beer filled eyes

drwayne
11-16-2010, 07:05 AM
That first pick makes it look like the tub is twisted, must be my beer filled eyes

mine too. .but the straight edge of the beer carton says diff. :lol:

oh, btw .. tub decreases from OAW of 110mm at front boom to 95mm at nose.. p'raps that's the beer factor .. someone being heavy handed on the belt sander ?

drwayne
11-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Down the river today.
dude on top has a surprised look !

andym
11-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Nice mate, now are you going to tell everyone about today ?? My lips are sealed but................

drwayne
11-21-2010, 06:02 AM
c+p from email to andym

took me 2 days to secure him to the decking !
hollow flimsy dude now has carbon mat scrunched up inside.. about 10ml epoxy.. a bolt protrudes from a plastic baffle plate.. epoxy poured in and rolled him abouts then held him right side up so epoxy flowed to cover plastic baffle later removed.
He now has a 5mm spine and CF skeleton !
didnt get a chance to test properly today.
I fnucked up prog of esc and set LVC for 9S !
Launches from shore in limphome mode ( 30%) and cutoff after lap 1 or 2.
Fkn frustrating coz didnt bring laptop...
Confused over problem I drove home got gas kit and resoldered everything at waters edge 'knowing' it wasnt a esc internal flaw.
No, I didnt grab the laptop, coz I knew it was an external issue.
Doh.
external issue was me !

W

andym
11-21-2010, 06:12 AM
What motor are you running in that rig ??

drwayne
11-21-2010, 06:18 AM
What motor are you running in that rig ??

cannot you see the yellow barrel behind the driver ?
it's nuclear....

andym
11-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Funny I thought that was your bull*!***!***!***!**e meter !! Seems our threads create SO much interest, no wonder we tend to stay on S&K thread.

drwayne
11-21-2010, 06:42 AM
1521/1y with rotor sensor !

US builds seem plug and play...one of these hulls, one of those drives, 2 of those widgets .. etc etc..

builds from ground up have 0 interest.
wankers.
I have ...
ground up built rig.
designed and manuf esc
Neu motor ( not Chinese copy)
LiPo from Chinese manuf on spec order using Jp and Kr polymer.. ( pm for mates rates )
Props from twisted dude in Brokeback Hill.
Lube from Castrol
Rx, own.
Datalogger, own
oak stain timber.
CF internal structures.
epoxy everything
3 coats 2pak clear

I didnt cut stickers.. OSE, AMPBA192, and prop.

W

andym
11-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Rotor sensor??? I thought the back emf does that ? You know me though, good at lifting heavy things just not to bright !

drwayne
11-21-2010, 07:37 AM
you keep moving the pretty blocks, and leave the rest to me.

see pm

andym
11-21-2010, 07:50 AM
pm read and very interesting, makes you wonder why they do it without ?

drwayne
11-21-2010, 07:55 AM
cheaper motor , cheaper esc , less complex, more sales.
but most all qual rc cars have this.. same reasons as per pm.
end users NFIdea.
:)

andym
11-21-2010, 07:57 AM
So can you order a neu with sensor or did you wave your electrical wand over it ?

drwayne
11-21-2010, 08:06 AM
magic fingers, magic keyboard, magic credit card.

Shazam .

ps ozzie is in Ct again Mon re kiddie.

drwayne
11-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Im rooted ( metaphorically )
hafta go snore some.

chat Mon pm
W

drwayne
11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
I did omit ..
Punisher67 engine mount ( I did drill out air holes on rear mount )
Retallick Engineering 3/16 roller strut and rudder..

drwayne
11-28-2010, 12:13 AM
video run 4

bouy corner 456 is a bit windy... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPau3WobXrg)

andym
11-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Mate send the wheel back and will take some lift out, with out the hop that thing would be unbeatable in EB. Try the 1460 will have less lift and more push. Did you spin the reworked 1655 ??

Ub Hauled
11-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I love that you stay on the chair to chuck the rigger in the water, LOL
where is the beer m8?
;)

drwayne
11-28-2010, 01:08 AM
I love that you stay on the chair to chuck the rigger in the water, LOL
where is the beer m8?
;)

chuckle
Beer's at home with the BBQ, mate..
Police dont like you drink drivin here in Au .. they get unhappy real quick... infrequently do whole roadway divert for random drunk driver 'blow in bag' tests.. gets lotsa folk nervous !

But Im home now, beer is a decent option.. thx for the thought .

andym
11-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Last time I got pulled into a breatho they asked me to blow into a bag. I said not fuc$ing likely, good looking or i am not bloody blowing in her at all !! Suffice to say the humorless prick of a pig was not impressed and did the whole bloody run down, warrant's, road worthy etc. Then arrested me on a 9 year old firearms charge from SA. Prick

drwayne
11-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Had to marry the last bag I blew in.
Policeman ( her father ) helped me get a reduced sentence ( spoke against her in divorce )
Not all cops are pigs ... some are piglets....

Ub Hauled
11-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Had to marry the last bag I blew in.
Policeman ( her father ) helped me get a reduced sentence ( spoke against her in divorce )
Not all cops are pigs ... some are piglets....

true... true...:rockon2:

drwayne
12-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Spent this weekend programming data logger in esc....fed stream via OSD with micro ccd mounted on tacklebox ... to DVR in that cavity.
Have previously tinkered with remote telemetry and shoreline DVR ... decided additional hardware too bulky ... and inherent RF issues not worth the hairloss.

Today I finished the esc data logging to osd ccd and HD dvr . added power,, and looks gr8 on little 4" lcd I used as setup.
Moved tub around and noticed a fault.. bloody camera is mirrored !
Boat turns right, camera pans left...is an IP67 1/3ccd HD camera of 5.1Mp.. display is in reverse/mirrored.. must be an automotive reversing cam.. Doh.
I could record and reverse the image in video editor, but the date and time would be backwards..
eBay found me another.. without the mirrored effect.
So, maybe next week !

andym
12-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Good one Doc, have the duck deterrents been installed?

drwayne
12-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Good one Doc, have the duck deterrents been installed?

Not yet, more serious things afoot.
Like restocking the bar fridge for one..
and eating my steak and dolly chop Satdy night meal.. at 10pm.. first chance since work ( and the camera on tub )
W

drwayne
01-05-2011, 05:58 AM
Have had a slick set of spons made by a friend....
Will be able to stain and clear these next few weeks..
Decided to send this completed esc and schematics out for manuf. 12S/350A inbuilt 512kb datalogger and OSD feed inbuilt !

Scott T
01-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Wayne, that looks ballistic in the videos! I'm surprised at the props you're swinging with a 1521/1Y - very impressive. No wonder the driver looks frightened!

New sponsons look nice, any expected change to the handling, or more for cosmetics?

Those ESC specs sound good..... :thumbup1:

drwayne
01-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Wayne, that looks ballistic in the videos! I'm surprised at the props you're swinging with a 1521/1Y - very impressive. No wonder the driver looks frightened!

New sponsons look nice, any expected change to the handling, or more for cosmetics?

Those ESC specs sound good..... :thumbup1:

Cheers Tappy.
New spons narrower ride pad, longer shoe.. hoping for better corners... too much aero lift atm.
Best prop so far, 1460 edge cupped by andym
esc rocks. :rockon:

nauti-tucu
01-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi:
¿Any plans?

Johno
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Looking good the Wayne my friend. They will definately come out looking good in stain/clearcoat.

Sponsons (above) were built using the green one in the pic as a master reference, with W's handy notes written in sharpie. No plans used for the rest of the boat. Lots of notes, a few emails and a phone call or two here and there though.

Johno

drwayne
01-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Looking good the Wayne my friend. They will definately come out looking good in stain/clearcoat.

Sponsons (above) were built using the green one in the pic as a master reference, with W's handy notes written in sharpie. No plans used for the rest of the boat. Lots of notes, a few emails and a phone call or two here and there though.

Johno

Mate !

Here's a Bloke who lives on the Western edge of this great Australian continent.
Welcome to OSE.! :smile:

He built this rigger from a pile of scrawled digital notes, coupla phone calls, and a box of broken samples.
Bloody work of art mate.. :thumbup1:

Au has lots of FE on the Eastern edge.. and this is slowly propagating Westwards...... all we need do is convert Johno's enthusiastic mob to electric ... completing the FE infestation !!!!!

great to welcome you onboard.
Look fwd to a coffee face2face .

Wayne

Johno
01-08-2011, 08:55 PM
:sold::sold:

You know I am keen to get amongst the FE action. The urge is getting stronger each day, they look like alot of fun. I am more than comfortable with building, it is all the necessary gadjets that I am somewhat lost on............................but, that is what you are for Wayne :rockon2:.

Coffee, definately, I figure I have around 2700km drive to your place, so I will give you a buzz when I am about 500km out to see if you are around....................probably the easiest plan at this point as I am not sure how far I will get each day.

Thanks for the welcome, great site going on here, alot of neat stuff to read up on.

Johno

drwayne
02-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Took the rigger out with the new sponsons

:thumbup1:

No speed related drift ... handles corners well
Smaller ride surface ate the rough.
Razor sharp leading edge not as robust as liked.. but resultant debris adjustment and s'well :small smile:
A winner. !

All I need now is competition and we'll see !
Thanks Johno.

Shelved awaiting interstate trip to go racing.

What now.
Hmm...a twin !

W

Johno
02-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Took the rigger out with the new sponsons

:thumbup1:

No speed related drift ... handles corners well
Smaller ride surface ate the rough.
Razor sharp leading edge not as robust as liked.. but resultant debris adjustment and s'well :small smile:
A winner. !

All I need now is competition and we'll see !
Thanks Johno.

Shelved awaiting interstate trip to go racing.

What now.
Hmm...a twin !

W

Good news Wayne, glad they worked out.

I am keen, I just can't get it outta my head, just gotta work out exactly what I want to build now. I am sure I have seen specific JAE FE plans which may very well be a good starting point, but for the life of me I cannot recall where (even thought I have them at one point but alas I am sadly mistaken :doh:)

Twin you say...................I tell you what, design her up and leave the woodwork to me..................we can make it happen. I am smashing through all my other boating projects so I am up for it:beerchug:

Johno

Scott T
02-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Wayne, all sounds good. Got some photos of the latest evolution? Which race are you planning on unleashing her at??

Johno, I have the JAE FE plans in PDF and DWG format. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you. They are slightly different to the Zippkit FE version.

Cheers,
Scott

drwayne
02-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Wayne, all sounds good. Got some photos of the latest evolution? Which race are you planning on unleashing her at??

Johno, I have the JAE FE plans in PDF and DWG format. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you. They are slightly different to the Zippkit FE version.

Cheers,
Scott

Gday Tappy.
Vic Masters if I can get away from the workplace ....
I doubt there'll be 4xEBH there.. at least they'll have open water !
Adelaide suffers too much algae and gondolas ..
Electric is a true hobby here.. no competition. !

W

Johno
02-22-2011, 08:13 AM

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks Scott, PM coming your way mate. Thought I had them, but alas I couldn't locate them on my elaborate filing system on this HDD

Johno