PDA

View Full Version : HELP FINDING 5mm x 3/16 SQUARE COUPLER

mm123521
11-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Help! Where can I find a 5MM X 3/16 square drive motor coupler?

I need to connect a Castle 1518 motor (with a 5MM motor shaft) to the square end of a .187 (3/16 inch) flex cable.

Thanks!!
Mark

Fluid
11-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Good luck. Very few run square drives in FE boats. A few may be available for an OB setup. Why not a flex hex collet?

mm123521
11-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Fluid:

Ok, if you don't run a square drive, then how do you take the thrust?

In the gassers we took the thrust on the strut using thrust washers and the "wind up" length difference was taken up in the square drive coupling.

Help!

Mark

carlcisneros
11-15-2010, 09:36 PM
You will more than likely have to buy 2 flex couplers from aeromarine. (Or at least ons regular
flex coupler and a square drive insert from them.)

www.aeromarinerc.com

Carl

mm123521
11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks Carl -- I see the 3/16 square inserts.

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have the 5mm end.

Mark

Fluid
11-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Most FE racers take the thrust on the motor, the bearings on quality motors are designed for it, on lesser motors a separate thrust bearing is used. I've taken the thrust at both places in the same boats and I couldn't see a difference in the boats' handling or attitude. If you do the vector analysis you'd see why.

Square drives are just not used except for FE outboards. Do yourself a favor and don't try to reinvent the wheel here. Use a standard collet like everyone else does.

mm123521
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Fluid:

I guess I'll have to use the hex flex - round, because nobody has the square drive!

Thanks
Mark
(vector analysis - I can do that!)

Punisher 67
11-20-2010, 09:35 PM
If they had a 3/16 square I would myself personaly use it , with the larger 4 foot boats and the 1/4 square flex I have had extreemly good luck with it , 3 seasons with a Lehner 3080 and Neu 2230 and not one single issue . on mine the square end is in the strut

mm123521
11-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Punisher 67:

Thanks for the reply.
I couldn't find 3/16 square drive couplers anywhere, so I built my own (see pictures). I have a small machine shop in my basement, so I can build custom stuff. A pair of these couplers was a 4 hour project.
Look at the pictures of my motor mount. It is a water cooling jacket and motor mount. It just fits inside the sponsoon and will bolt to the outside of the rail. I still need to tap the water fittings in. It will mount the motor without using any fiberglass, so it will be easy to change drive configurations later. It took all day Saturday to build the motor mount, today I'll build the second one.
Oh, by the way, thats the new SprintCat in the pictures. It arrived on friday. It took Areomarine about 8 days to build and deliver this 34 inch hull. Hull looks good, "Classic" hatch fits well.
I was happy to see that the batteries and motor will both fit inside the sponsoon. That configuration will keep the vertical center of gravity very low and maybe keep it from rolling over in a hard turn? It looks like there is room to mount the batteries over the drive line, I gotta see.
The struts, in the picture are also home built, but I am undecided as to whether to use them. I keep thinking of buildig a "stinger" type strut. What I am thinking of would be non adjustable for angle, but have a small adjustable height. I wonder if the hull will plane correctly without an angular adjustment???? Help on this one!!!! The stingers would look better and I know that I could make them more water tight than the struts.

Mark

chummer
11-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Where's the pics?

mm123521
11-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Chummer:
Had trouble gettting the pix up.
I think they were too big, had to retake them at a lower resolution.

Punisher 67
11-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Very nice Mark

I have a small machine shop in the basement myself which includes a CNC Mill and Lathe . handy isn't it...................:banana:

mm123521
11-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Punisher 67:

For me, thats 1/2 of the hobby - making custom parts.

Is that you making the motor mounts for everyone??
CNC !!! Wow !!
I just have a manual mill/ drill that I have put A LOT of miles on.
Got two small lathes (one is a Craftsman 12 inch), vertacle saw, horizonal saw, surface grinder, tool grinder, rotary table, indexing head, etc

I built two, 22 caliber, 10 barrel, gatling guns using the above equipment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhVavTvlvjg
I also build extreme powerfull airguns (I have one that is more powerfull than a .357 magnum).

Someday I'll get CNC - when I get rich!! lol!

Mark

Punisher 67
11-21-2010, 01:06 PM
yes thats me.....The mount guy........:laugh:

You can get a fully CNC'd Taig Mill with a 4th Axis for under $2500.00 through Deepgrove1 on Ebay , Then buy a refurbisher pentium 4 through any of the many suppliers out there . My computor was under $200.00 to my door . and finally the Mach3 Cam program to run the whole show for $175.00 .

The possibilities are now limitless to the goodies you can make and sell and best part of all make for yourself

I agree for me the build is the exciting part , running the boat is just the icing on the cake

Mark that gatling gun is way coool............................................. ......:thumbup1:

mm123521
11-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Punisher :

Beautfull setup!!
How hard is it to setup and debug a programm??
Something like to build a motor mount??

For one-at-a-time parts (not to be duplicated), is it worth the time developing the programm?

Are those "teach Pendants" I see in the pictures??

My shop is 1/2 inch deep in chips, most all the time!!

Sounds like it would take $3500 to get set up?

Your lathe is CNC'ed too???

Thats a good looking rotary head on the left side of your table.

Mark

Punisher 67
11-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Punisher :

Beautfull setup!!
How hard is it to setup and debug a programm??
Something like to build a motor mount??

With anything it takes some reading but it wasn't very hard at all to get set up , you will have to learn G-code or to write it manualy and Mach3 has wizards to do circles , pockets , circular holes drilled , etc so you can compile G-code to make what ever you want . I would one day like to learn CAD , that would do what you wanted to make within that program and convert it to G-code but for now I am writing it manually . It doesn't take long to get good at it

For one-at-a-time parts (not to be duplicated), is it worth the time developing the programm?

Yes I think it is

Are those "teach Pendants" I see in the pictures??

The pendant is out of Australia , "LOGITROL", can't remember who made it but there are some nice ones out there

My shop is 1/2 inch deep in chips, most all the time!!

Sounds like it would take $3500 to get set up?

I just bought as I could afford , I have over $5000.00 invested into it now

Your lathe is CNC'ed too???

That one is a manual servo setup run with switches but I have another Taig lathe en route that will be CNC'd

Thats a good looking rotary head on the left side of your table.

Thanks Mark , sorry to hijack your thread.....LOL

Mark

Replies in Blue .

I watched your youtube video.........Very well done thanks for posting
The gatling gun is a work of art

mm123521
11-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Punisher:
Thats a VERY cool setup!!!
I think I'll stick with manual, until I hit the lottery!

I'll bet that theres $5000 into my shop also, but I accumulated it over the last 20+ years. I'll bet thers 4000 pounds of aluminum, steel, and brass stock sitting in the basement right now (plus 2500 pounds of machinery). It would be hell to move into a new house.

Your not hijacking anything!! more pictures!
I always wanted to learn CNC programming, but never got the opportunity.

Mark

Picture is of the breach of gatling gun (no I didnt do the engraving - Iam not that good!)

Punisher 67
11-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Some youtube vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRscUpsFGgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoW7rW_EsjY

Coupler vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WI0MIzlHE

chummer
11-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Guys, I am really lovin' this thread. That gatling gun is Bitchin'. I love to see custom work like this.

Mark, Can you give some info. on what you did with that Castles motor? That's a different kind of mount.

You guys are making my little lathe look like crap. I would love to get a nice mill and lathe for my own workshop. I have access to an old bridgeport at work but it's getting a little beat up with no power feed and very little tooling. Sometimes it's not even worth the effort, much easier to order one of Peters mounts.:rockon2: