PDA

View Full Version : Spec Miss Vegas build

Brushlessracev
11-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks to brushless55 i have a new project. Going to do a spec class with this miss vegas. goal is around 38mph. thinking about going with inline rudder and strut from the store here on Offshore. Motor will be the AquaCraft 36-56 2030 with the seaking 120 esc on 4s 5000 40c. Not too sure about turn fins. boat needs to turn good left and right, duel turn fins?

LarrysDrifter
11-13-2010, 03:32 PM
2 turn fins would defeat the purpose of turning.I think one would fight the other.When running a hydro with one turn fin,you turn right.If you were to turn left,it wouldnt turn well and more than likely turn over.

Brushlessracev
11-13-2010, 04:47 PM
2 turn fins would defeat the purpose of turning.I think one would fight the other.When running a hydro with one turn fin,you turn right.If you were to turn left,it wouldnt turn well and more than likely turn over.

Better off running no turn fins then?

HYDROJERRY
11-13-2010, 06:00 PM
need to check that motor size i think you will probly need more like a 2700kv motor!!!! not sure thow so better check it!!!

Brushlessracev
11-13-2010, 06:52 PM
need to check that motor size i think you will probly need more like a 2700kv motor!!!! not sure thow so better check it!!!

Stock AQ is a 2030 i think.

blackcat26
11-13-2010, 07:17 PM
No turn fin and she won't turn good at all. Just slide around, wide!

HYDROJERRY
11-13-2010, 07:29 PM
yes the 2030 is a AQ motor but that boat only comes in a nitro version i beleive and cuz the weight of the hull you will probly need like a 540 2700 motor but dont quote me on this im still learning how to figure the power stuff...i was going to use the same motor in mine but was told not to and when i tryed it anyway she was kinda slow like 28mph....

Brushlessracev
11-13-2010, 07:52 PM
yes the 2030 is a AQ motor but that boat only comes in a nitro version i beleive and cuz the weight of the hull you will probly need like a 540 2700 motor but dont quote me on this im still learning how to figure the power stuff...i was going to use the same motor in mine but was told not to and when i tryed it anyway she was kinda slow like 28mph....

In a spec class i can only use what was sold in the AQ boats or the pro boats so i am kinda stuck what i can choose for a motor, if not i would use the 1515 1y would be my first choose for this hull. As the turn fin goes I will end up with one i hope it turns ok left.

Brushless55
11-13-2010, 11:47 PM
I bet the AQ motor should do very well in this hull! :rockon2:

Brushlessracev
11-14-2010, 01:38 AM
I bet the AQ motor should do very well in this hull! :rockon2:

The AQ 2030kv with 4s seaking 180 esc should be plenty i think, what do you think about that strut and rudder setup.

HYDROJERRY
11-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Dont think i have ever seen anyone use a inline rudder/strut on a hydro so huummm dont no how it will work!!!

Brushless55
11-14-2010, 09:43 AM
The AQ 2030kv with 4s seaking 180 esc should be plenty i think, what do you think about that strut and rudder setup.

boy, I'm kinda lost on this one? :confused2:
I say one turn fin and try the inline rudder, but take left turns slower and it could work just fine

HYDROJERRY
11-14-2010, 12:35 PM
most hydros only have one turn fin and they realy need it but two huumm i think one would cansill out the other,,on my miss elam with one turn fin on the right sponson i can turn right almost wide open throttle!!!

Brushlessracev
11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
most hydros only have one turn fin and they realy need it but two huumm i think one would cansill out the other,,on my miss elam with one turn fin on the right sponson i can turn right almost wide open throttle!!!

what happens when you turn left.

HYDROJERRY
11-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Most people dont need to turn left if your racing a boat i think most of the time they run in a big circle of some sort witch means turning in one direction so only one turn fin!!!!!you can still turn left just not very good...

Brushlessracev
11-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Most people dont need to turn left if your racing a boat i think most of the time they run in a big circle of some sort witch means turning in one direction so only one turn fin!!!!!you can still turn left just not very good...

off shore spec class they do. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/limited-rules.php

syncronized77
11-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I think I remember seeing that someone threw a UL-1 motor in the vegas and it went pretty good. Don't know how long that motor will last though...the vegas is not a small hull

wparsons
11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that the spec hydro classes don't run the same course as the spec offshore classes, but just run a traditional oval instead??

2) Hull Specifications

a) LSO hulls must be a Deep-Vee or catamaran type hull.

For the motor, you definitely don't want a higher kv (lower torque) motor with a heavier hull. If anything you a lower kv torquey motor to push the weight around.

6S HYDRO
11-16-2010, 07:35 PM
sorry but you cant use a hydro in a spec offshore class! hydros only turn one direction.. mono or catamaran with online rudder. no matter what you cant use a hydroplane especially with no fins or 2 fins

6S HYDRO
11-16-2010, 07:36 PM
sorry didnt see last post

Brushless55
11-16-2010, 07:49 PM
For the motor, you definitely don't want a higher kv (lower torque) motor with a heavier hull. If anything you a lower kv torquey motor to push the weight around.

I don't have the specs but in my opinion, the MV hull is not much heavier (if any) than the UL-1.. :Peace_Sign:

steve-b
11-16-2010, 08:01 PM
I tried the ul1 combo in my vegas, and it was slowww.
The 1515 1y would be a much better choice.
I did use a 3060 kv motor on 4s, and it flew, but im sure i dont have to tell you how long that lasted. But you could try it on 3s... aprox 33000rpm.
Leave the turn fin alone.

Brushless55
11-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I tried the ul1 combo in my vegas, and it was slowww.
The 1515 1y would be a much better choice.
I did use a 3060 kv motor on 4s, and it flew, but im sure i dont have to tell you how long that lasted. But you could try it on 3s... aprox 33000rpm.
Leave the turn fin alone.

3060kv on 4s in this hull?
tha's over 45,000 rpm :Shame_on_You:
the UL-1 motor with the right prop, possibly a 38x55 could work just fine
I don't see why this hull with that motor could not see consistant low to mid 40's

wparsons
11-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't have the specs but in my opinion, the MV hull is not much heavier (if any) than the UL-1.. :Peace_Sign:

I was basing that purely on an earlier comment about the weight of the hull. I really have no idea how much it weighs at all compared to similar sized hulls.

Make-a-Wake
11-16-2010, 10:49 PM
I run a Neu 1515 in my miss Elam...............clocked it at 48mph Sunday.

Brushlessracev
11-16-2010, 11:08 PM
I Decided on a leopard 3660 2050 KV with a 40x57-3 blade this should work real good. i was wrong in the earlier post cats and hydros run a different class. according to the rules the leopard motor is legal for the cats but not for the spec class. your allowed a motor up to 40mm dia and 60mm long if i am reading the NAMBA rules right.

Brushlessracev
11-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Cant wait to see if inline rudder works on a Hydro.

Brushlessracev
11-16-2010, 11:27 PM
I was basing that purely on an earlier comment about the weight of the hull. I really have no idea how much it weighs at all compared to similar sized hulls.

Take all the nitro stuff out and it weights the same as the UL1. its only a 2" longer and .12 lbs heavier ready to run.

Brushless55
11-17-2010, 12:22 AM
I Decided on a leopard 3660 2050 KV with a 40x57-3 blade this should work real good. i was wrong in the earlier post cats and hydros run a different class. according to the rules the leopard motor is legal for the cats but not for the spec class. your allowed a motor up to 40mm dia and 60mm long if i am reading the NAMBA rules right.

That motor sounds good :thumbup1:

JMSCARD
11-17-2010, 12:41 AM
I personally would ditch the inline rudder idea... I would go with what works.... I am sure folks have tried it, I know we don't see any and that probably for a reason... hydros work well with offset rudders... they handle like no other when set up properly with a offset rudder I don't see how they could be any better then they already are.... the only boats that i have had luck with inline rudders is a twin cat... and thats for obviouls reasons.. my inline rudder triton was twitchy... fast going strait but really unpredictable in the turns.... do yourself a favor and go offset.... don't make marks in the nicely painted hull just to go back to an offset rudder later... lol..... thats a nice looking boat all the while!! good luck....

wparsons
11-17-2010, 09:07 AM

If you actually plan to race it, check what people at local clubs have for classes. Just because it's in the NAMBA rules doesn't mean local clubs follow it exactly.

The last thing you want to do is build it one way only to show up at a race and find out you can't race because it doesn't match their "spec" requirements.

Brushlessracev
11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
I personally would ditch the inline rudder idea... I would go with what works.... I am sure folks have tried it, I know we don't see any and that probably for a reason... hydros work well with offset rudders... they handle like no other when set up properly with a offset rudder I don't see how they could be any better then they already are.... the only boats that i have had luck with inline rudders is a twin cat... and thats for obviouls reasons.. my inline rudder triton was twitchy... fast going strait but really unpredictable in the turns.... do yourself a favor and go offset.... don't make marks in the nicely painted hull just to go back to an offset rudder later... lol..... thats a nice looking boat all the while!! good luck....

Cool thanks for the advice, i am going to try one way and if it does not work i can always switch it. Not like its perm. I like trying things that others have not. Strut and ruder does not cost much anyway.

wparsons
11-17-2010, 06:34 PM
^^ Keep in mind that the rudder is less effective and disrupts the flow of water off the prop when it's inline. It's one thing to try idea's that haven't been tried, but an inline rudder on a hydro has definitely been tried many times before.

Brushlessracev
11-17-2010, 08:43 PM
^^ Keep in mind that the rudder is less effective and disrupts the flow of water off the prop when it's inline. It's one thing to try idea's that haven't been tried, but an inline rudder on a hydro has definitely been tried many times before.

cool thanks off set it is, i figured out why they mount the rudder on the left of the prop on a hydro anyways makes sense why a inline rudder does not work.:banana:

Brushlessracev
11-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Sorry brushless55 but i am repainting the boat. i cut the nose off and attached it to the hull. I am in the process of making it water proof. i sealed all the holes in the hatch antenna hole and exhaust and so on. Removed the nitro motor mounts and gas tank mounts. its going to be three different coolers of green and silver and white. MTN DEW "DO THE DEW" will be the theme. I am having someone at a local sign shop do the graphics in vinyl. I think its going to look cool. I will Get some pics as soon as i get it done. have every thing on order motor speed control and some odds and ends. I already have rudder and strut and cable.

Brushlessracev
11-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Hull is in primer had a local shop gel coat it after stripping, BY THE WAY DO NOT STRIP UNLESS YOU USE STRIPPER FOR FIBERGLASS. Found out the hard way. Sealed the hatch openings with carbon fiber. latches on rear of hatch where filled.

Brushless55
11-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Sorry brushless55 but i am repainting the boat. i cut the nose off and attached it to the hull. I am in the process of making it water proof. i sealed all the holes in the hatch antenna hole and exhaust and so on. Removed the nitro motor mounts and gas tank mounts. its going to be three different coolers of green and silver and white. MTN DEW "DO THE DEW" will be the theme. I am having someone at a local sign shop do the graphics in vinyl. I think its going to look cool. I will Get some pics as soon as i get it done. have every thing on order motor speed control and some odds and ends. I already have rudder and strut and cable.

Get after it bro!
looking forward to the new DEW! :roflol:

Brushlessracev
11-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Get after it bro!
looking forward to the new DEW! :roflol:

LOL:rockon2:

Brushlessracev
11-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Got all my hardware in, strut, rudder, cable, motor mount. Waiting for servo motor and speed control. and few odds and ends.
Added some pics of rudder and strut, motor mount.

Brushlessracev
11-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Got some of the painting done, still have some too do be for clear coat goes on.

Make-a-Wake
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Lookin' good!

teach
11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Looks great!

Have you given up on the idea of a spec system? Would be great to have another show up for a little racing.

Brushlessracev
11-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Looks great!

Have you given up on the idea of a spec system? Would be great to have another show up for a little racing.

Yep went with a leopard motor and 180amp sea king.

teach
11-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Yep went with a leopard motor and 180amp sea king.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Brushlessracev
11-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh well, maybe next time.

Still run it with the specs not going to be any faster then a stock UL-1

Hydromaniac
11-25-2010, 08:24 AM
If you actually plan to race it, check what people at local clubs have for classes. Just because it's in the NAMBA rules doesn't mean local clubs follow it exactly.

The last thing you want to do is build it one way only to show up at a race and find out you can't race because it doesn't match their "spec" requirements.

Thats how we run our "Spec" classes, Only certain motors are allowed. They are the same motors that are recognized by most clubs around the country and pretty much the same that were ran at the FE nats. We have built a very strong "spec" program that works well.

wparsons
11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Still run it with the specs not going to be any faster then a stock UL-1

Faster or not, if the motor isn't on the allowed list, you can't race.

Hydromaniac
11-25-2010, 09:20 AM

:thumbup1:BINGO!!

Brushlessracev
11-25-2010, 02:35 PM

whats on the allowed list. I can always swap motors its not like its set in stone anyway. what speed controllers are you allowing.

Hydromaniac
11-25-2010, 02:48 PM
whats on the allowed list. I can always swap motors its not like its set in stone anyway. what speed controllers are you allowing.

The same ones I e-mailed you in the past.
NO LIMIT ON ESC
Allowed motors are:
AQUACRAFT SV-27 BOTH VERSIONS
AQUACRAFT UL-1 2030 KV
PRO BOAT BLACK JACK-26 1500 KV

Brushlessracev
11-25-2010, 07:20 PM
The same ones I e-mailed you in the past.
NO LIMIT ON ESC
Allowed motors are:
AQUACRAFT SV-27 BOTH VERSIONS
AQUACRAFT UL-1 2030 KV
PRO BOAT BLACK JACK-26 1500 KV

I did not know that was you, thanks, you are RMTB in Pueblo. Thats cool. I have a aquacraft 2030.

Hydromaniac
11-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I did not know that was you, thanks, you are RMTB in Pueblo. Thats cool. I have a aquacraft 2030.

Yep the same club that you have been asking about racing with. Good luck with your build. :thumbup1:

Brushlessracev
11-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Yep the same club that you have been asking about racing with. Good luck with your build. :thumbup1:

Its almost Done waiting for motor, water jacket and turn fin from Australia. and servo from Tower.

Rottenbelly
11-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Nice build!! I accuired one of these boats from a member on here.
Looking at motor options for a little more speed. But on its first run it was a great running/ handling boat.
Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.:popcorn2:

HYDROJERRY
11-27-2010, 09:30 PM
looks great man,, what no clear plexiglass???? just playin!!

Brushlessracev
11-27-2010, 11:55 PM
looks great man,, what no clear plexiglass???? just playin!!

LOL, na i decided to seal the hatch then tap it. the plexiglass thing works too.

HYDROJERRY
11-28-2010, 08:56 AM
I no when i tape my Miss Elam the curves suck !!!!

Rottenbelly
12-02-2010, 07:12 PM
How does yall's do with taking on water??

I have the plexiglass cover siliconed partways, Then i tape the front AND tape the hatch cover and it still takes on alot of water.
Its good to know that my Castle 120 will run underwater!!:eek:

Brushlessracev
12-02-2010, 09:08 PM
How does yall's do with taking on water??

I have the plexiglass cover siliconed partways, Then i tape the front AND tape the hatch cover and it still takes on alot of water.
Its good to know that my Castle 120 will run underwater!!:eek:

Did you cut the nose off yours too and attach it to the hull. thats is what i did you might be getting water from else where check your turn fin mounting i epoxied mine to the hull with the screws to seal it. same with the rudder and strut.

Rottenbelly
12-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Did you cut the nose off yours too and attach it to the hull. thats is what i did you might be getting water from else where check your turn fin mounting i epoxied mine to the hull with the screws to seal it. same with the rudder and strut.

Thanks for the info. I put it in the tub again to see.
I do see a small spot starting back by the rudder.

My nose is cut off and epoxied. Mine just submarines so bad when i take off....
got a new motor on the way to see if that will help get it moving a little better.

HYDROJERRY
12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Mine did the same so i put a 442 on it and it got up alot faster but mine has no leaks,,,

Brushlessracev
12-03-2010, 01:37 PM
What motor you running I went with the leopard 3660 2030 kv

Rottenbelly
12-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I ordered a 2300 and a 2600 turnigy to try out. Then I am gonna look at a better motor when I find a good kv to run. I am running a 42 x something prop but I am also gonna try a 40x57 3 blade lifter.

Brushlessracev
12-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Post a update, almost done. I really want to put her in the water but its frozen. BUMMER.:ThumbsDown01:

Shooter
12-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Nice paint! You'll have a lot of fun with it and you won't be upside down as much as the smaller boats! Very stable running boat.

I ended up vacuum forming a hatch/cowl for mine. Flat tape all around for leakproof seal. The nose attaches like the UL-1.

Brushlessracev
12-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Well i think she is ready but no water to run her in. This has been a long build took a month to do but i think its ready for the water.

Brushless55
12-07-2010, 12:21 AM
right on man, cool job!

Brushlessracev
03-20-2011, 09:19 PM
finally got to run her today, have some tunning to do. timing on the motor was set at 0 deg i try my little box for my sea king but its broken only used it a few times what a POS. I tried data logging too and my eagle tree is a POS too. :thumbsdown:

TheShaughnessy
05-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Did you ever get your MV going?? You can still run p sport hydro with that motor just not spec. I am setting up a MV for p spec. Got it going ok the other day, I don't see why 40's would be a problem with the ul1 motor and the right prop and adjustments.

Scamp73
12-01-2013, 09:58 PM
About to tackle this myself. If you guys have any pointers you have figured out along the way please let me know.